• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't think they have ever met, you'd have to PM Kirk and ask him. That's part of the problem really. ICs and Ikes aren't in the same area for the most part. 6-4 is our best guess based on the few times they have met, and the facts really.

You can look at the match-up discussion on the ICs board. Thats the best we can do unless Kirk stops being rusty and faces Lain or someone like that. >_> The match-up could be 6-4, it could be 55-45, it could be 65-35. We say 6-4 based on what we have, and it will stay 6-4 until proven otherwise, just like every other match-up in existence.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't think they have ever met, you'd have to PM Kirk and ask him. That's part of the problem really. ICs and Ikes aren't in the same area for the most part. 6-4 is our best guess based on the few times they have met, and the facts really.

You can look at the match-up discussion on the ICs board. Thats the best we can do unless Kirk stops being rusty and faces Lain or someone like that. >_> The match-up could be 6-4, it could be 55-45, it could be 65-35. We say 6-4 based on what we have, and it will stay 6-4 until proven otherwise, just like every other match-up in existence.
Well... if top players of each character haven't met... how can you say it's "actually true"?
Seems like speculation to me.

I'll just say that I used to main ICs, and I rarely lost to any Ikes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
For the Shiek boards, Tristan Win was the biggest offender. He didn't saying anything dumb, he just grossly overplayed Shiek's potential. Yoshi, Mmac. Captain Falcon, too many to count. Ike, Rokthereaper. Sonic, take your pick. Peach, Dark Peach. ZSS, just in general I think the character is overrated.
However, it's that same optimism that expands the metagame. Tristan overhypes DACUS, but because of that hype, we've found that it actually has some great uses. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Dark.Pch, despite his overblown and heated arguing at times, HAS helped to expand Peach's metagame a lot.

There is a fine line between that and stupidity... It becomes Gimpyfish's "Accept Your Character's Weaknesses" all over again. Where do we draw the line between overhyping a character's potential, and being optimistic about your character's potential? Honestly, that's up to the talent of the players.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well... if top players of each character haven't met... how can you say it's "actually true"?
Seems like speculation to me.

I'll just say that I used to main ICs, and I rarely lost to any Ikes.
It's speculation how much of an advantage Ike has. It's fairly accepted that Ike has the advantage. I'm not stating my opinion about the match-up, my only encounter with the match up was against Hylian at my first tournament ever (which obvious is not a good assessment), I'm stating what the Ike board has because quite frankly very few people outside of that board knows anything about Ike general.

I mean, at a HOBO, people were apparently surprised that Ike has basically no landing lag after Nair. And Texas is the state with the most tournament going Ikes. If you look at some of the match-up discussions the Ike board has had with other boards....it's just painful. The Luigi boards they had at least a 6-4 advantage because of their fireball. The crappy, slow moving, little range, canceled out by jab projectile. Once we proved it in fact did very little in the match-up they basically stopped discussing the match-up. The PT boards had their whole "we can interrupt your jab combo with our frame one bullet seed", "Ivy's side B is a good projectile against Ike", and "Ike only has a 55-45 advantage against Squirtle, even though he has long disjointed hitboxes (Squirtle's weakness as said by them), great KOing power (weakness said by them), and a CG that ends in a walk-off fair that gimps Squirtle at low %s" issues. The Lucario boards could not comprehend the idea of Ike ever beating Lucario. They thought it was 8-2 Lucario's favor or something crazy like that.

Is it any wonder why I keep talking about Ike here in this topic? Yes, the Ike boards have been off on a few match-up discussions. Heck, look at the newest Marth match-up topic. Most of them basically went "Yay, we were wrong it's not 4-6 it's 35-65", and the ones that didn't say that initially (like me) figured out it was because we only had experience against not very good Marths. But most of the time, it's other boards being clueless about Ike and going "lol, Ike's slow and has a bad recovery. Just avoid the jab and shoot your projectile 7-3 our advantage". If that ever stops, I wont' have a need to constantly explain Ike here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
However, it's that same optimism that expands the metagame. Tristan overhypes DACUS, but because of that hype, we've found that it actually has some great uses. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Dark.Pch, despite his overblown and heated arguing at times, HAS helped to expand Peach's metagame a lot.

There is a fine line between that and stupidity... It becomes Gimpyfish's "Accept Your Character's Weaknesses" all over again. Where do we draw the line between overhyping a character's potential, and being optimistic about your character's potential? Honestly, that's up to the talent of the players.
Yeah but it doesn't stop it from being annoying though. X_x' The only hyping that didn't bug me was how much Wario used to be hyped only because a lot of people used to think he was terrible and too much effort to be really good with. Now he's third on the tier list. Wa wa WAA!!!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Haha, I tend to not get annoyed by anyone on this board because I am the most annoying poster (to some people) anyway. I have this strange empathy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as far as ike vs ICs go, its not hard to see why they could have a hard time fighting ike,

hes essentially impossible to grab when you use his fair or nair, his fair out ranges just about all of their moves, his jab, is faster than their grabs, and if they ever get seperated, nana dies at 40 to a f smash.

theres more than goes into it, im sure, but at a basic level its not hard to see how ike could have the advantage.

EDIT
LOL at some of the misconceptions that people STILL have about ike. some of the stuff in that post was flat out hilarious, but than it made me sad cause i realised people are actually serious when they say that crap.

I guess thats what happens when I play almost all of the good ikes and have san in my region, guess it helps me learn a bit about the character

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh, some boards aren't that bad (Sonic boards were fairly good, same with Link and Zelda), and some boards are willing to leave it at "It's around neutral, we say 55-45 for us, you say 55-45 for you. Good enough." (Ness, Bowser).

Other boards though....they are the reason basically I have my mini rants in this topic. >_>

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Oh, some boards aren't that bad (Sonic boards were fairly good, same with Link and Zelda), and some boards are willing to leave it at "It's around neutral, we say 55-45 for us, you say 55-45 for you. Good enough." (Ness, Bowser).

Other boards though....they are the reason basically I have my mini rants in this topic. >_>
Yeah, most character boards aren't that good. IC boards say we have the advantage on rob (or used to, the outdated MU thread is finally being redone), which is complete garbage beyond all reason.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Haha, I tend to not get annoyed by anyone on this board because I am the most annoying poster (to some people) anyway. I have this strange empathy.
You're annoying? I've probably had the ban hammer over my head for years simply because of how often I butt skulls with MODs/the SBR. :laugh: Hmm... speaking of hype, I wish Lucario was more hyped. I think he has a decent amount of potential but most people basically said "screw it" when Azen quit.

.Marik

is a social misfit
The worst offenders were probably the Yoshi boards last year when Yoshi was looked into for being a potential Metaknight counter. Mmac's a cool guy and all but there were times I wanted to warp through the internet and knee him in the gut because of the "Yoshi's going to become high tier" talk. :laugh:
Lol, here we go again.

Yes, Mmac overhyped Yoshi, and he only entered online Tournaments, but Mmac was a huge contributor to the Yoshi Boards in terms of analyzing and organizing information, and very knowledgable.

He thought at the time Yoshi could be a possible counterpick to MetaKnight, it was at least a couple of months ago and the metagame of both characters were still evolving.

Now, the Yoshi Boards (myself included) have come to the conclusion MetaKnight simply punishes Yoshi too hard and has a ton of viable options readily available. We agreed to a matchup ratio of 60:40 with the ChainGrab being effectively implemented. (Some say 65:35, and that's probably also)

But, I've seen worse. At least Mmac knew what the f*ck he was talking about 95% of the time. At least he took the time to type up all his information and help the Yoshi Boards improve their gameplay. All people ever did was sh*t on him because Mmac was confident Yoshi had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Give him a break. And nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever mentioned or agreed Yoshi was ever going to reach High Tier. That's simply impossible.

I suggested D Tier. That's the highest Yoshi will ever reach, and even Mmac would realize that.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Search for Fiction and DEHF.

It's either DEHF or SK92.

TOURNAMENT: Quizno's VIII
LINK: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4613
DATE: February 15th, 2009
LOCALE: Pacific West
ENTRANTS: 84
ENTRY: $5.00
1 Fiction (Wario)
2 DEHF (Falco)
3 Havok (Meta Knight/Marth)
4 MogX (Kirby)
5 Camaman (Wolf)
5 TKD (Meta Knight)
7 Gishnak (Falco/Mr. Game & Watch)
7 Tyrant (Meta Knight/Snake)

Yeah good job using 90 for your argument. And for wasting my time.
I cut off a few other low/mid tiers when I picked that number, too. What would you have had me pick? 80? 70?

I used 90 arbitrarily. :p BTW, if I'd have used 100 it would be the same result. The ZSS/Lucario tourneys both had 100 people in them.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
The PT boards had their whole "we can interrupt your jab combo with our frame one bullet seed", "Ivy's side B is a good projectile against Ike", and "Ike only has a 55-45 advantage against Squirtle, even though he has long disjointed hitboxes (Squirtle's weakness as said by them), great KOing power (weakness said by them), and a CG that ends in a walk-off fair that gimps Squirtle at low %s" issues.
BS can interrupt jab cancel combos. Side B is a good projectile but not great, mostly for getting a free hit when ike is landing. We have squirtle vs ike listed as a 35:65 in ikes favor

i dont know how anyone can hate on the PT boards, especially with all the inactivity at 4 posts per day

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
BS can interrupt jab cancel combos. Side B is a good projectile but not great, mostly for getting a free hit when ike is landing. We have squirtle vs ike listed as a 35:65 in ikes favor

i dont know how anyone can hate on the PT boards, especially with all the inactivity at 4 posts per day
Not jab to itself, or jab to grab like you guys were claiming. And it's not frame 1 coming out. Side B is not a good projectile if you can only use it successfully as we are landing. >_>

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
If you can use a projectile without getting hit in the process while forcing the opponent to approach/shield/whatever, then it's not really a detriment.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
We can jab out the projectile. It really doesn't do much in the match. I've played a couple PTs, that move basically did nothing any time Ivy was out. Fox's blaster does more by the simple fact I can't jab it out.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I can sourspot fair it. Doesn't change the fact that the time you spend jabbing is time you spend not moving.

EDIT: As a just in case... do not take this to mean that I'm telling you how to play this game. I'm just talking here.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So we have people annoyed of people hyping their mains? Well let me just say this.

You would have to excuse me for being happy about going even with top players with a character that is not a high tier and do justice with them. I'm proud to be a Peach main and the good work that I have done and helped other Peach players with. Me and the others have the right to hype out characters up. if people don't like it. there is a simple feature on this site called the ignore list.

As time goes on, I will change and fix her metagame. And is something I will be happy about. Don't bash at us players for hyping up our characters. If anything you people should be annoyed when all fails, people go for a high tier (Meta Knight) to solve all their problems:ohwell:

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Taking pride in/being passionate about doing your best with your main is admirable. What people don't like is those who blow hot air and make unsubstantiated claims about them.

Actions speak louder than words, ya get me?

I'm not taking a shot at you btw, just saying there's a difference between being a dedicated mid/low tier main and hyping up a character.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Taking pride in/being passionate about doing your best with your main is admirable. What people don't like is those who blow hot air and make unsubstantiated claims about them.

Actions speak louder than words, ya get me?

I'm not taking a shot at you btw, just saying there's a difference between being a dedicated mid/low tier main and hyping up a character.
If I say peach is the best character in the game and people actually take me seriously and by that, I am not the problem.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
hes essentially impossible to grab when you use his fair or nair, his fair out ranges just about all of their moves, his jab, is faster than their grabs, and if they ever get seperated, nana dies at 40 to a f smash.
bad argument, primarily because you are focusing on one hting, their grabs.
The IC's are not only based around their grabs. If you watch successful IC's, they actually dont land a grab very often at high level play, it is becauseof everything else, de-synched blizzards, ice blocks, etc etc.

I highly doubt Nair or Fair is the reason for them having an issue with Ike, because by that logic, many other characters should have an issue with him as well.

Considering the amount of pressure that the IC's can lay upon Ike, it is indeed difficult to see why the IC's would ahve difficulty with Ike.
theres more than goes into it, im sure, but at a basic level its not hard to see how ike could have the advantage.
basic level? We have to assume the usage of ALL the tools. not Ike simply Fairing or Nairing repeatedly, because as I said earlier, such ana rgument is very faulty,

LOL at some of the misconceptions that people STILL have about ike. some of the stuff in that post was flat out hilarious, but than it made me sad cause i realized people are actually serious when they say that crap.
So rather than refute them for making bad claims, you mock them? That really does not aid your point at all, and if anything it serves to hurt you further.

I guess thats what happens when I play almost all of the good ikes and have san in my region, guess it helps me learn a bit about the character
Which doesn't matter, because if you cannot develop a proper argument, why should we listen to you?
All it would mean is that you are basing your arguments on inductive reasoning which in itself, is faulty.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
what can ICs do to pressure ike?

ice blocks? jab
blizzard? fair
side b? retreating fair
grab? jab.
shield and punish? fair has too much push back, and nair ACs into jabs before they can punish.

im pretty sure ike out ranges all (or most) of teh ICs ground moves with jabs. and with jab cancels and followups, i could see ike seperating the two quite easily. which then like I said sets up for nana f smashes.

Im not an ike main, why do I have to correct misconceptions about the intracacies on the character. so the fact that I make fun of people after nintendude corrects said people, im a bad guy?

ok, w/e

i do what i can but im pretty sure that nintendude just stated that correcting misconceptions about ike, is his job.

i mean when you have a character that can death you from a grab at any point in time, I refuse to believe that they lose more than slightly, to anybody.

im not here to explain the ike ICs matchup in detail, because honestly, i cant, I just know what Ike is capable of and that his abilitys play to the weaknesses of the ice climbers

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
what can ICs do to pressure ike?

ice blocks? jab
If you jab the first one, the second one hits you unless they are so9 close that the jab hits both of them.
blizzard? fair
So Ike is going to just Sh Fair? in spite of the high amount of lag assosciated with the move startup and end time even with IASA frames?

side b? retreating fair
I dont believe side B would be very useful.
Ice block and blizzard to be sure
grab? jab.
Who grabs at a neutral positioned opponent? you're making it act as if the IC's have to constantly approach Ike when this is not true. The main issue Ike has is the fac tthat his greatest spacing moves, including Fair, ahve a high amount of start up and cool down time. the IC's cannot punish with a grab, but they certainly have the tools to deal with it.

shield and punish? fair has too much push back, and nair ACs into jabs before they can punish.
Can I ask who in their right mind would shield a Fair or a Nair from Ike?
Those moves have a high knockback s the shield stun is too great to punish Ike afterwards.

Both players start out the match. The IC's have little need to approach. They fire off de-synch ice blocks and blizzards, Ike cant simlpy jab them away. if he continues jabbing, the blizzard will hit him.
Sh Fair means he'll have to deal with the incoming ice block.
The ability of de-synching means tons for the IC's in this matchup because Ike cannot simlpy jab or SH Fair as you say.

im pretty sure ike out ranges all (or most) of teh ICs ground moves with jabs.
but why would anyone want to get into a jabbing match with Ike?
by that logic, every character who has less range than ike should have a hard time with him, which is not true.

The IC's hve projectiles plus their ability to desynch means they can approach with blizzard. Ike can Sh Fair all he wants because the IC's maintain their options. Ike is forced to either Jab, or SH Fair. He wont SH Nair because by then., the IC's can blizzard him.
So what then? keep retreating backwards?
and with jab cancels and followups, i could see ike seperating the two quite easily. which then like I said sets up for nana f smashes.
Actually thats hardly true. The fact that you are sayig Ike's JAB is useful in de-synching them is flawed. Simply because they have no need to get that close to Ike in the first place. The Ice Climbers are not characters who are reliant upon their grabs. blizzar,d ice blocks are ver yuseful in dealing with Ike, because the slow start up on Fair means the ice block is a great annoying, while Blizzard deals withboth jab and Nair.

They can easily approach with de-synched blizzards and ice blocks and Ike would have issues dealing with the pressure. He lacks afast high range move like Mk and Marth, and he also lacks the mobility and speed of a character like Wario.

Im not an ike main, why do I have to correct misconceptions about the intracacies on the character.
oh, so because you are not an Ike main, it means, you can criticize others for not knowing the character, but then not exlani as to why they are wrong?

Thats the EXACT same as saying "you're wrong because I said so".
Which simply is faulty.

so the fact that I make fun of people after nintendude corrects said people, im a bad guy?
Did I say you were a bad guy for it?
No
I said that it HURTS your statements, because then its merely Ad hominem.
Is this really necessary kid?
i do what i can but im pretty sure that nintendude just stated that correcting misconceptions about ike, is his job.
there is no such thing as " the main's job."
Tell me, if someone says, Ike's Fair has low range.

Do point out the difference if an ike main and a non Ike main said "Ike's Fair is the equivalent of 10 blocks, which is larger than any other aerial (outside of tethers) in the game."

What would be the difference if I, a sonic main, and adumbrodeus, a marth main both said

"Sonic has the highest movement speed in the game, crossing FD in 57 frames."

Argumentum ad hominem is not something you should be using in any argument.

i mean when you have a character that can death you from a grab at any point in time, I refuse to believe that they lose more than slightly, to anybody.
The IC's have the SMALLEST grab range in the game.
So let's take away everything they have, blizzard, ice blocks, leave them with ONLY the death grab, would they lose only slightly to a character like MK or Marth? no.]

They would do HORRID!
it is because of EVERYTHING else tha tthe IC's can perform so well.
The blizzards, de-synching, ice blocks, etc etc.

It not the grab the defines the matchup, it is EVERYTHING else.

im not here to explain the ike ICs matchup in detail, because honestly, i cant, I just know what Ike is capable of and that his abilitys play to the weaknesses of the ice climbers
you MUST know the matchup in detail, so that an accurate argument can be provided.

I just explained why Fair and jab are faulty, the IC's have ways around them and can deal with it. How does Ike answer the IC's options? how does he answer de-synched blizzards and ice blocks? He has trouble doing so. What happens if he is up close? He has issues, because if they stay just outside of his jab range, they can hit him with many things and Ike would have an issue answering them. Bair's hitbox is very awkward and would allow him to deal with the IC's answers effectively.
Fair is only useful so much as it is properly spaced, and it cannot deal with consecutive iceblocks unless they are a certain difference from each other.
Same with jab.

I actually think the IC's have the advantage, not because of their death grab, but because their answers to Ike are more fefective than Ike's answers to them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you know, you could didnt need to do all this, it was kinda unecessary.

cause that whole wall of text pretty much equates to

you think blizzard beats fair, i think fair beats blizzard.

also, dont say they can just blizzard and ice block all day and win. cus eventually they need to kill, so your statement that they should never be in ike jab range is incorrect, that seems to me to be one of ikes best assets that for most characters you actually have to get close to kill him.

point is, the match is pretty even and a good ike CAN go to town on an ICs, but ill take meeps word for it and say that more often than not, ike will be getting the ****

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
cause that whole wall of text pretty much equates to

you think blizzard beats fair, i think fair beats blizzard.
-_-
This is the main problem I ahve arguing with you. You did not read the entirety of my post. As soon as you said WOT red flag came up.

I said CLEARLY.

Fair beats out blizzard.
but the ice climbers ability to de-synch, and use both blizzard and ice blocks, allow them to deal with Ike's answers effectively.

also, dont say they can just blizzard and ice block all day and win. cus eventually they need to kill, so your statement that they should never be in ike jab range is incorrect, that seems to me to be one of ikes best assets that for most characters you actually have to get close to kill him.
but I will win. because it isnt as if this is a marth vs Tl or Marth vs Falco situation where they MUST kill Marth because of his ability to keep up with them.

Ice climbers can just stand there all day, because when Ike needs to get rid of them, they can fend him off very well.

As opposed to Marth vs Falco or Marth vs TL, where he is actually capable of getting close and spacing them to death.

point is, the match is pretty even and a good ike CAN go to town on an ICs, but ill take meeps word for it and say that more often than not, ike will be getting the ****
k
source argument I understand.

Nestec

Smash Ace

Yeah, so um... If either ZSS or Toon Link were to make it into A-Tier, which would it be?

Discussion, plz.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Wait, wait, first of all, who hyped up sonic?
I thought we always agreed that he was a crappy *** character, just not as low as the first 2 tier lists put him.
We thought around high low, and whatdya know? We're kinda right.

:093:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait, wait, first of all, who hyped up sonic?
I thought we always agreed that he was a crappy *** character, just not as low as the first 2 tier lists put him.
We thought around high low, and whatdya know? We're kinda right.

:093:
...Except the tier list is still going to change ... majorly.
sonic could easily go back down to where he used to be.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im stilling trying to figure out if sonic is better than fox and wolf, cus I really dont think anybody in their right mind would put sonic lower than he is now

i think he might be right above wolf

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think he's above fox.
I agree with japan's fox placement.
except maybe the mass amounts of chaingrabs and infinites on him... e_e
idk anything about wolf though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its true, sonic is more balenced while fox is a character of extremes, so its really hard to compare the two, even if I play both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom