• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Because I was curious about if this thread is being successful/appreciated/could be improved on and stuff. Did you vote seriously? :\

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, Asdioh, my real vote is kinda confusing...

I'd say this topic is helpful, but only if people critique right. The best way to critique is by telling others what they shouldn't do and then seeing how they replace all those bad habits... What we're doing when we tell them to do x attack more, we're just saying "do x attack more", nothing else, instead of extensively point out when the move should be used, when it shouldn't, why should it be used over the one before, why he should dump the habit, etc...

Actual critiquing is too complicated and hard, and we haven't done that much yet... So, this thread is being helpful (telling them what their bad habits are, and pointing out mistakes), and at the same time, isn't being helpful (we're not extensively pointing out why they should do what we suggest, what specific situations call for those attacks, etc)...

So I just voted no to be the only random guy there. But someone else voted no now, so i don't feel special anymore... :(

So, like, apparently I have vids up. O.O

They've been up for two months. And Tudios never told me. XD

Thrilla (Kirby) vs. Tudios (Snake) 1

Thrilla (Kirby) vs. Tudios (Snake) 2 Note: I'm pretty sure this is t1mmy and not me, but he has it listed as me, so meh.

Thrilla (Kirby) vs. Tudios (Sonic) 1

Thrilla (Kirby) vs. Tudios (Sonic) 2

Thrilla (Kirby) vs. Tudios (Luigi)

Keep in mind that these are REALLY OLD and I've gotten much better since then (not to mention I actually have some idea of how to play the MUs), but I figured I'd post them for teh lols. Let me know what you think. :)
Sadly, thrilla, if they're old, who's to say what we critique won't be applicable? What if I were to tell you "Don't inhale against Snake, bad idea" and you don't inhale anymore (seriously, don't... His power is not worth it, considering how easily he hits you and that there's a chance your power might get removed by a single pelt from one of his grenades)?

There are like only 2 things that I saw you were doing wrong against the Snake: Inhaling too much, and stopping your strings when you could've continued them (add in dtilts and stop using nairs)... The other minor things, like how to approach opponents and shielding/powershielding their attacks, would just go under "learn their attack's reaches", which is part of "learn the MUs"... And I'm sure you've gotten better at that, so yeah.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Your Kirby is good, but in order to rate effeciently we need to see a close video of you against someone with similar skill level.
only other "close" recent vid i have is some rob playing real wifi-y against me. 25 spotdodges and 34 d-smashes in one match. Yeah..........

that MK 3 stocked my Wario btw lol
so i dropped him

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
geez its amazing how much better i am because of kirbys amazing guide i still dont know how good i am though me vs a level 9 falco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnhxgsD6GBo

Sorry bout the quality all i have is my cruddy webcam its good enough though
well this is a cpu but i will say you didnt short hop anything. To short hop lightly tap the jump button it's pretty easy. It make approaching more reliable and safer than just spamming aerials hoping for them to hit lol

Mr_Game_And_Kirby

Smash Rookie
well this is a cpu but i will say you didnt short hop anything. To short hop lightly tap the jump button it's pretty easy. It make approaching more reliable and safer than just spamming aerials hoping for them to hit lol
LOL well the annoying thing is shortly before youre comment was sent i started shorthopping

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
HELP WITH MATCH-UP

I have two problem characters in Brawl. One is Marth (I'm picking up DDD and others two help me with that) and the other is... Wolf.
Seriously, I can hold my own against Metaknights with Olimar (main), but Wolf is a pain in the *** to me. Even when I play less experienced players, I have this problem (really says something about my abilities >__>). I think it's because Wolf has speedy smashes and a really spammable gun. I have trouble getting close.
As for my characters... Olimar is not a good Wolf Match-Up. I'm trying to develop my DDD right now, but I think I would suffer similar effects of not being able to get close to Wolf at all. I'm considering trying to learn Falco and MK to broaden my match-ups, but other than that... I do sometimes play Wolf, but not enough to use as a mirror counter.
All I have left is my secondary main, Kirby, who I mostly use in teams because Olimar is hard to use in that department. Now my Kirby endevours against Wolf have been slightly more succesful, but not very well still. I still have the issue with approach. Even when you jump over the lasers to use air moves, Wolf can still be quick about countering these movements. tbh, fighting Wolf in the air is just as much of a pain as fighting him on the ground. I know I can use the Kirby swallow off the stage to give him issues, but that's a very situational strategy. Advice?

Four Star

Smash Rookie
I would also like some assistance with the wolf matchup. The laser gun and wall of bairs makes it hard to close in on him.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
The_Altrox, are you coming to KYoshi's Step yo game up? If you do, it would be easier to watch you play Bead and give you advice based on what you're doing for the Wolf MU.

Best advice I can give you for it is to make sure you space correctly otherwise, and to bait then punish. Most of Wolf's moveset can be easily punished due to how he has to commit to all of his moves. If you shield anything he does (Minus laser and well-spaced Bairs) you can punish via grab or aerial OoS.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
The_Altrox, are you coming to KYoshi's Step yo game up? If you do, it would be easier to watch you play Bead and give you advice based on what you're doing for the Wolf MU.
Wish I could. but I'm preoccupied that night. I might be going to the Parma thing if THEY let me

Thanks for the advice though :)

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
Shadow*91,

First things first, Bair is kirby's best friend, it basicaly does everything. Its a good spacer, it has high priority, it can deal damage, gimp, and kill if its not stale. I dont remember seeing you use it that much, when it should be one of the main moves you use. Also if you can learn to RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush) it can really help with approaching.

Another thing i noticed is that you didn't grab too much, Kirby has a really good grab game, and there were certain spots where your opponent was close by when a grab would have been a better choice than what you did. However when you did get a grab you mostly used Uthrow, which shouldn't really be used too often. Kirby has a lot of nice grab combos. At low percents you will want to do the gonzo combo (Fthrow -> Uair -> Utilt... its too good.). Dthrow is also really good, its your most damaging throw, i like to use it when they are too high for a Fthrow -> Uair combo. Dthrow can combo into Utilt, Bair and Uair. Also when you grab someone you should pummel them once or twice to get some extra damage and unstale your other moves.

I don't think i saw one Utilt. Kirby's Utilt is really good, it can combo into Bair, a grab, and sometimes Usmash. I saw you used Ftilt which is good, it's a nice spacer and a "gtfo" move. Dtilt is also pretty good, its faster than Ftilt, but a little shorter range, and it has a chance to trip which can lead into a Fsmash, so you should mix it into your game.

You used dash attack quite a bit, while it is an alright move it isn't too great. When aproaching its better to go with a running shield grab or a nice Bair, with the occasional dash attack.

You also used final cutter too much. Instead of using final cutter after your Dthrows, go with Utilt, Bair, or Uair.

I might have missed a few things but those are some of the major things i noticed.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wish I could. but I'm preoccupied that night. I might be going to the Parma thing if THEY let me

Thanks for the advice though :)
Do you mean Coheed's thing? I'm trying to go to that, so maybe I can help you there instead?

Failing that, I'm not sure where you live, but I need smash practice, so if you're near Akron and feel like playing sometime, send me a PM.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
I wasn't gonna post a vid here, but then I realized that I have videos of 3 different matches spanning from when I first started playing to now, which is kinda interesting :O Note that I didn't start taking my Kirby seriously until somewhere in between the second and third vids, I was always a ROB main but now I'm a ROB/Kirby main :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgOq_4p25Ro <- Summer '08! First online ladder match I played as Kirby (iirc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYDhfq6Fis <- Summer '09! First online tourney I won with Kirby 8D (well actually I played ROB for every match except the finals but whatever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8dg_oZD_g <- Fall '09! First offline tourney I won with Kirby! :D (plz ignore the super dodgeroll spam, I am aware of it)

Critique away!

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I watched just the first one... between the quality of the black lines and youtube buffering so much because its garbage now I could only watch one.

From what I can see you have a solid Kirby, however you can improve with your grab follow ups, and most importantly your tilt usage. You missed many u-tilt opportunities Also I didn't see any d-tilts.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8k_dQyBWFk

my most recent match with Kirby. Tips plz
crap, I'm late.

anyway: first two MK deaths: LOL

he shuttle looped way too much...

anyway, nice job. The way you're playing looks so casual.

uhmm...you reacted too slowly to grab his Nair at 0:24...you probably knew that.

...man I haven't commented on a video in forever. It's hard to say what you did right/wrong >_>
I'll give it a shot: you seemed to stand in place and utilt, hoping he would just run into you. I can't say if that's a bad thing, since utilt isn't that punishable...but it didn't work too well.
You did some random Fsmashes that were ok, but you would have been better off predicting his Tornados and Fsmashing through them. He seemed to like doing them at the end of the stage to come toward you.

That's about all I'm going to say >_>

He looked like he was pretty good but he kept ****ing up XD

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8k_dQyBWFk

my most recent match with Kirby. Tips plz
I'll comment on this too.

You played pretty well...the fsmashes should've been saved for later, mix it up a bit with dashing shieldgrabs, approaching ftilts, etc. The way you reacted so slowly to some of his attacks (when you tried to grab him out of his nair at ~0:23 and after tornado at ~0:37) makes me think that this was on wifi with considerable lag, so it's not that great of a representation of your skill. Other than that, you played really well.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I'd say about 2 months competitively (which is basically when I started playing at a higher level, period. LOL).

Why do you ask, Smiley? XD

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I was just curious. Anyway, id recommend pummeling at around 50%+ as opposed to just inputing a throw move. Build up as much damage as you can. Do you use a c-stick for your back airs the majority of the time?

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Yeah, pummeling is something I need to work on. Thanks for pointing that out! And I actually use the Wiimote + Nunchuck, so instead of the C-Stick I use the D-Pad. XD

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I noticed it when you were back-airing is why i asked. The motion was different. The bairs werent spaced as well. It explained why you were getting grabbed against the IC's after b-airing. Also, I wouldn't really use stone at all competitively, but thats my own personal preference. Too many consequences and WAY to little rewards. But once again, personal preference. You play well.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
All right, perfecting my spacing and pummeling. Cool, now I can actually go and work on something before LoLiS. XD And I rarely use stone - only when there's an absolutely perfect opportunity, or when my opponent's being way too aggressive in the air.

Thanks for the comments! :D

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
hey guys ive just started messing around with kirby a couple of days ago and hes pretty fun and really different to play as (my main is actually g&w). here are some of my matches that i had the other day w/ some friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoURr1qabz4 (vs dk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnVJXTXCAo (vs pika)

does it seem like theres any hope that one day ill have a decent kirby? haha
From what i saw, you played kirby like you were playing another character, which is understandable since you dont main him. Just keep in mind, everything that gets miss-timed gets punished as kirby easily. Smashes, dodges, rolls, aerials.......everything.

EVERYTHING......remember, everything.
:ohwell:

Edit: I forgot to add the good things about your playstyle so i apologize. Your movements are the smoothest ive seen in a while. With practice you have potential to be one of the best kirby players on smashboards. I dont say that about players at all either.

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
From what i saw, you played kirby like you were playing another character, which is understandable since you dont main him. Just keep in mind, everything that gets miss-timed gets punished as kirby easily. Smashes, dodges, rolls, aerials.......everything.

EVERYTHING......remember, everything.
:ohwell:

Edit: I forgot to add the good things about your playstyle so i apologize. Your movements are the smoothest ive seen in a while. With practice you have potential to be one of the best kirby players on smashboards. I dont say that about players at all either.
wow thanks man :) but yea during the christmas break im gonna see where i go w/ kirby.... its either him or wario that i want to pick up next for tourneys. ill let you know when my next tourney is since your close by, that way my crew can see how **** your kirby is, and maybe i can pick up a thing or two from you.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
That match with GoingApe on Smashville was just....perfect. You got his bananas out of the way, you saved your f-smash for a clean kill, you di'd an f-air at around 180ish and survived which was pretty nice btw. I actually learned one thing from there thatll prolly help me alot more in that matchup. That matchup is just.....terrible.

Not much to say about it except...good job! :bigthumbu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom