• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Awright, man! I'lllet you know what I think.
i hate college, that's what I think

At the start of the match, I noticed a lot of rolling, spotdodging and airdodging... I know you're trying to make your opponents do an attack then attack them for it, but your opponent is also trying to make you dodge to punish you for it. Doing all that stuff can make it so that you're hit less, but it also makes it so that you never hit your opponent, since you're just evading things. Sometimes it's better to take some risks! People are so used to fighting opponents who shield a lot, run up and spotdodge/roll, space perfectly, that they don't expect a straight-up attack. People also expect you to follow them in the air, but they don't expect you to stay near the ground and punish them there. And last, people expect you to hit their shields and do an OoS or spotdodge to make them whiff a grab, but they don't expect you to just run and do a shieldgrab... So, it's just a matter of taking risks, and doing things people normally wouldn't do. Opponents will react expecting you to be a 'normal opponent', so you have to play around with their minds. They're expecting certain patterns, so you have to mix up what you do... Like not spotdodge/airdodge/roll a lot at the start of a match.

I also noticed that you do a lot of uairs close to the ground, and dairs from above. Both are really risky, predictable, and leave you open during the startup and the end if they shield. Sometimes it's good to take risks, but if it's an option that will give your opponent time to notice a shield will take care of everything you do, then you shouldn't choose to do it. The dairs you did near the ground were good and helped you out, but you did some from higher up, and it got you punished with OoS nairs and shieldgrabs. Same goes for the uairs while landing... You COULD replace those uairs with bairs, and the dairs with some aircamping (jumping up and down until your opponent does something, then react with a bair or land with an airdodge to shield/grab). Bairs are safer, and we can force MK to do things by us just jumping above him, just like what we should do to Diddy and Snake.

A quick reminder: Our fsmash breaks through his tornado and sideB. Our up-angled fsmash is stronger and has more vertical range. So, if MK is tornado'ing close to the ground, a good up-angled fsmash might get you a free early kill.

Just like Tierse said, you need to work on your reaction time. There were lots of missed opportunities where you could've grabbed him before he had a chance to do anything, and lots of chances where you could've baired him since he was vulnerable... Grabs means you're gonna get your moves refreshed by pummeling and throwing your opponent, and bairs means that you're gonna rack up some easy damage... Remember, fsmash isn't your only kill move! You can also kill with a bair, an uthrow at higher %s and dsmashes. So, just keep racking damage and don't fish for kills; the moment WILL present itself eventually, so don't get desperate! Whenever opponents are at higher %, they get more defensive and start playing from their shields more since they KNOW you want to kill them, so try to outsmart them and kill them by grabbing their shields, and uthrowing after some pummels... Or just bairing after you refresh the move with pummels.

Oh, one last thing about this match... You need to have faster reactions to do better, but reactions aren't everything. You should pay super close attention to your opponent so you can react as soon as possible. What I do when I play is I "get in the zone", block out everything around me and just concentrate on everything my opponent does. This way, I know when that pesky MK is gonna start his fsmash, or when the Snake will wavebounce a grenade to land on the floor, or when the Diddy throws a banana and go in for a follow-up... The best thing you can do is sit back, shield when the time is right (not before, or the opponent will know you're pressuring them with your shield), and punish with the proper option (bair, grab, ftilt... Only fast options).

You had GREAT momentum during the first stock, but lost it when the opponent started playing defensive while he was at high %. Same thing happened during the second stock, you had him on the ropes but due to trying to get the kill at later %s with an fsmash, he killed you and gained the lead... You went from about ~40% to 100%+ by whiffing 3 fsmashes during you both's first stock, and he was at about ~120% (that was a great lead, but you lost it by fishing for kills)! The kills will happen eventually, so no need to rush them... You ended up killing him in both stocks with a bair, and not an fsmash. They were fresh, but that's where grabs and pummels come in: you refresh your moves to kill just like you did there... So, stay patient, fsmash situations will come sooner or later, just concentrate on bair and uthrow (in my opinion, Kirby's best kill moves are bair, uthrow and dsmash... Fsmash is his strongest, but definitely not his best)... What happened to you was what I've noticed for a long time, and what I told you in the first video: your opponent started shielding more when he was at higher %. Grabs and bairs should be your goal, nothing else, since our smash attacks are risky if you hit a shield.

You were also reacting rather slowly... I saw a lot of unexploited openings your opponent had, that turned into punishment for you for reacting too late. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you this, and I emphasize, sometimes you only have 3 frames to punish a landing character, but you still have to make the most of that situation. Kirby has a nice array of quick moves that he can use to hit his opponent at varying angles, at varying speeds. You also have the option of using these moves before your opponent becomes vulnerable, so that your hitboxes activate when your opponent enters his vulnerable state (takes lots of skill, but I assure you, it's doable and not theorycrafting at all, first thing I learned to do this with was grabs... I started the grab before he was in my maximum grab range, so as soon as he got near, my grabbox activated, and I grabbed him with the tip of the box. It's made people believe Kirby's grab range is longer than what's seen in his hitbox information). It all takes experience and knowledge to do, but ultimately, it's immensely helpful... And it requires you to have some very good reaction speed, know the opponents' options at their maximum ranges, and to keep a close eye on your opponent at all times, even when there's nothing to be watchful for.

Another quick tip: bthrow at lower %s! This is something overlooked by a lot of people, but when you bthrow an opponent, you're able to jump before actually touching the ground, so take advantage of this to string it together with a quick rising bair or uair. It works wonderfully since it ends with a knockback move, keeping you safe when you hit them, and gives them the insecurity that every bthrow you do at low % will be linked to an attack, forcing them to sometimes throw out a move in order to outspeed you, giving you yet ANOTHER situation to take advantage of (if they do that, they'll have afterlag which you can use against them when their attacks finish, and they'll probably airdodge after the attack).

Once again, you started with great momentum, but slowly lost it because of not good enough reaction speed, and fishing for kills. Since your opponent was high in %, he started playing more defensive than ever while on the ground, evading the predictable fsmashes you were doing (whenever you were landing, you threw out an fsmash... Grabs would've been a better idea, remember that G&W is light and easier to kill off the top due to his bucket braking pretty much only working for side kills).

There were also times where your shield was hit by a bair or something while you had your back to him, and he ended up within range for an OoS utilt... But you decided on a bair, the slower option. Sometimes you may come across these situations, where you have more than one option to punish your opponent with. Usually one would choose the strongest option for maximum damage and knockback, but sometimes quick, weaker hits are a better idea since they're practically guaranteed. With that utilt damage, who knows if you would've taken his stock in the first match MUCH earlier, when he first bucket-braked, since the knockback was gonna be greater.

This was all from watching the 1st match only. From the 2nd match, all I can add on is... Practice your teching (you were juggled inside the windmill, eventually it'll be second nature), and practice teching G&W's dthrow.

3rd quick tip: While you are recovering, sometimes opponents tend to wait near the ledges, but still on-stage. This way, they can hit you with their dtilts or aerials, but you can't hit them back, and they pressure you to not grab the ledges. G&W does this with his dtilt, MK with his dtilt, Pikachu with his thunder edgeguard...What you should do here is upB and hit them with the blade. Our upB has transcendent priority, the exact same one that MK has in his sword attacks that prevents him from trading hits or clanking. You can upB, go through your opponents' attacks, possibly hit them, and grab the ledge. It takes some getting used to, since if you do it from too high your opponent might run in for an edgehog, but it definitely pays off in the long run

And that's pretty much what my critique is.

Pete434

Smash Cadet
I'll post some vids soon, I'm getting back into brawl and I am gonna need all the help I can get

Triple R

Smash Lord
Did I just hear use FC against marth?

I would never would FC onstage against marth. You're just asking for him to run up and shield it and punish you. Don't FC camp on the ledge either....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEVQcEOFDlA refer to 1:37 in that vid. I just really use FC in this matchup :/

Personally I don't find this matchup that hard. I do agree it's slightly in Marth's favor, but just by a sliver. People think marth can outspace kirby terrible. While he can generally outspace it's not game breaking in my opinion. You'd be surprised at how much range our bair has.

As far as approaching, I would just run around a little, hop a little here and there, and maybe throw out some bair. I find approaching to be bad, so you gotta be tricky. Grabs seem to work really well if you can get in because marths sometimes like to shield alot and use upb as an OoS option. If you even see a marth just spotdogding, my advice is just to step back. He's probably trying to bait you so he can upb you.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Triple R, good intentions, wrong area? The Marth Export thread is over there --->

And when I said FC, obviously not something you'd want to use against Marth, what with the start lag, end lag, etc. BUT! If Marth is sitting back 'being defensive' like Tater offered he would, then yes, FC becomes a viable option as it has semi-acceptable range to avoid getting hit if you DI back mid FC.

time to cut and paste into Marth export thread.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Triple R, good intentions, wrong area? The Marth Export thread is over there --->
oh wow, i have no idea how that even could have happened. I was reading about marth and FC and i just did a quick response. I would've sworn I was in the Marth thread. Oh well lol. I guess I'll just go copy and paste it if someone hasn't done so already

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I agree with most of Kewk's critique, after watching just the matches vs Afropony, I have to say that you are also rather predictable. Your only damage options were grabs Bairs and Utilts, your evasion options were ADs and rolls, and your kill option was Fsmash. You need to shield/spotdodge more, utilize your Dtilt and Ftilt more (They are both good moves, and there were times where they would have been good options, but you always went with Utilt when you needed a fast ground move, even when the opponent was in front of you. Also, don't try to follow every Dtilt with a Fsmash. Ftilt and even grabs are more reliable.).

Dsmash, Usmash, Bair, and Uthrow to a certain extent are all kill moves as well, and Ftilt can set up for gimps and offstage Bair kills. Don't rely only on Fsmash!

When MK is just sitting there with his shield out, don't attack it. Stay just barely out of SL range and either try to bait it, or see what he'll do. A lot of MKs will SL OoS if it starts getting low.

Grabs are good, but you tried to punish EVERYTHING with grabs it seemed, and got punished for it.

Oh, and you know when you were flying under the PS1 edge? Don't do that. If he had done a grounded SL, it's hitbox reaches under the ledge and would have stagespiked you. (this happens on Lylat too)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah, add on what Fromundaman said. This is why it's better receiving critiques from different people instead of just one person. :D I missed a couple of things cuz I had been studying since 3:00am EST for a Calculus exam, and was tired as heck.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I forgot about it and cut the class. I'm very sure it was because I was very tired and lost track of time.

Luckily, the only acquaintance I have in that class missed it too for some other reason, so we're gonna go beg to the teacher on tuesday to give us a second chance... 2 people have more of a chance than one. :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm sorry, this is horrible to say, but I laughed at that. So much preparation to miss it...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't think it's horrible, I laughed at myself too. Be human, man, react however you want, I can't get angry at you for laughing at how my mother died by bathing in chocolate or something. :O

And yeaaah, here's hoping we get another chance at it next week. I did good on the first exam, and I don't want to lower my grades.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't think it's horrible, I laughed at myself too. Be human, man, react however you want, I can't get angry at you for laughing at how my mother died by bathing in chocolate or something. :O

And yeaaah, here's hoping we get another chance at it next week. I did good on the first exam, and I don't want to lower my grades.
That would be the most awesome epitaph ever!

I have found the way I want to go. Thank you Kewkky! Thank you!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Right off the bat I noticed as soon as he got the grab he didn't FThrow. That's not good because you're giving up the grab combo FThrow>UAir>DThrow>UTilt>BAir against Mario.

Too much rolling! He needs to RAR-BAir, SHBAir or simply BAir more. Don't use FC (upB is Final Cutter or FC) that close to your opponent too because it's really punishable.

WHY DIDN'T HE EDGEGAURD YOUR MARIO?!?? Alex, you need to pursue Mario off the stage by DAiring him or run off the stage and airHammer when he gets close enough. OR ROCK!

When returning to the stage against Mario DONT FC or you can be caped. When returning use airHammer for horizontal movement and your jumps to sweetspot grab the ledge. Basically you want to have 2-3 jumps left when you go to grab the ledge in case he runs off and BAirs>stage spike or capes.

Inhale> Kirbicide> footstool or Inhale>swallow and get his power. Kirby is all about the inhale and if you don't use it you might as well play some other character right? Kirby is superior when it comes to having a projectile so get his power or kirbicide him.

More UTilt when Mario is above you. I see that you shield so that you can grab but grabbing is not the only way to rack damage. Juggle Mario a bit with UTilt then BAir him away from you.

Stutterstep FSmash. It's when you dashforward then back so that Kirby is in the shuffle animations and when you're facing away you FSmash back towards your opponent. It's a mindgame and will get you more kills. Another mind game is dashback>SH-reverseAirHammer; it looks like you dashed away but you short hop (because airHammer is faster) and come back at them with one big swing of the hammer for a nice chunk of damage.

Good use of FTilt and airHammer. I enjoyed watching you play as well and with a few more of the general basics you'll be beating his Mario in no time.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Thanks for giving him advice. The faster he gets better the faster I can get Fox vs. Kirby exp. in for tournies. :)

I'll make sure he gets this!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Anyone wanna help out my friend and critique his Kirby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZTNNEog80
Awright, LETS DO THIS @@@ i promised Iblis I'd critique it, so here goes

Match 1!
Things you did too much:
-UpB onstage (Incredibly punishable and easy to avoid)
-UpB offstage (before you run out of jumps)
-SideB everywhere (it's strong, but easy to avoid)
-Dair onstage (too much ending lag, easy to shield and punish)
-Nair (you can win easier if you don't use it)
-Nair offstage (never do this, ever)
-Foxtrot (dash, stop, dash, stop...)
-Throw out attacks and miss them (i'm not talking about spacing or zoning)
-Miss the vast majority of grabs (you even grabbed when your opponent was high above you)

Things you didn't do enough:
-Airdodge to avoid getting hit by your opponent's combos
-"Combo" your attacks together, string them together
-Shield your opponent's attacks.
-Use all your jumps before resorting to an upB offstage

Things you should improve on:
-Momentum Cancelling. Yes, it's a very important technique, and I never saw you do it.
-Improve on your DI and SDI. Ask Iblis to help you with this, I'm sure he's got it down by now.
-Increase your reaction speed. This is a MUST, you let a lot of chances just go because you weren't reacting fast enough.
-Read more about Kirby as a character. t!mmy's guide is a great place to start, then move from that to asking direct question to other veteran Kirby mainers.
-Watch videos to figure out the best situations to use certain attacks, or to notice which attacks should be used least.

Let's go into detail... UpB is a kind of move that you only want to be using when you're recovering, and you are about to run out of jumps or just ran out of them. It's very punishable during startup, while you're at the top, and as soon as you land. What you want to do is to use this move to recover the vast majority of the time, and rarely if ever use it as an attacking move. You'll find that you're getting hit less after you stop using moves that take forever to end, and forever to start... Same goes for sideB. It might be strong, and it might kill the opponent, but how many times have you hit people with it, out of the many times you've used it? And how many times have people hit you while you do it, or after you finish? Not to mention the horrible lag you get after you use the attack and land (known around here as phantom lag), this move should only be used if you're SURE it's gonna hit, or if using it will force your opponent into a very bad position.

Dair on-stage is only good if you know you're gonna hit with it, or if you're doing it while coming from high up due to the opponent not knowing if you'll land in front of them, or behind you. When you short-hop a dair and land in front of your opponent, You're practically telling them to hit you as hard as they can. The move takes a while to start, and it also takes a long time before it's finished. So, try cutting back on that nasty habit, what you want to be doing is hitting your opponent while still making sure they won't hit you back if they shield. The bad thing about nair is that it's horrible at doing that same thing I just said... The attack has such small range, and it's out for so long, that the only reason to ever use this attack is to cancel the 'phantom lag' you use a sideB and are about to land. Usually, a bair will hit your opponents if they are in front of you (amazing, right?), or you could just simply fair, or land and do a grab. You should always think about what would happen if your opponent shielded the attack, instead of what will happen once you hit them with the attack, because the first one of the two is the most likely scenario.

Foxtrotting is a very nice thing to do every now and then, having the ability to dash and stop without having to wait until your character 'brakes' or takes forever turning around... But overly doing this, especially when there's no need to be doing it in the first place, will just end up in you missing your chances at scoring a hit or two on your opponent. It's nice to be on the move all the time, but what you really want to do is keep your opponent guessing what yo're gonna do. For example... When you're standing still, and your opponent is jumping towards you, he has to guess whether you're going to shield, attack, roll, spotdodge, jump, or just stand still and hit him when he airdodges. When you're dashing, your opponent doesn't have to worry about shielding, rolling or spotdodging, so that just leaves three easy-to-read options: attack, jump, and stand still, not to mention the added risk of tripping... What you just did was make sure your opponent hits you, because now you have no way of protecting yourself when he attacks due to you foxtrotting recklessly. If you MUST move, then try walking instead of running, this way you can keep an eye on your opponent and still shield if you think he's going to attack you.

And last, but not even close to least (and one of the most important, and applied to every single character you plan on using), is missing grabs. I know you can't help throwing out a grab and your opponent expecting it punishes you for it, but when your opponent is in the air above you, then suddenly you look the other way and run off grabbing nothing, there's a problem right there. You also don't want to grab the air expecting your opponent to jump into your arms, the majority of the time you should be grabbing out of a shield. If you successfully shield an opponent's attack and they're right in front of you, it's the perfect moment to grab them, and there's a 100% guarantee that you'll grab them as long as they're inside your grab range... But if you grab and miss, you're committed to the grab, and have to wait out the whole time it takes for you to finally be able to move again. During this time, your opponent might be thinking of attacking you for making that mistake, possibly even taking your stock with a well-aimed smash... So, even though grabs are a MUST for every Kirby main, keep an eye out for when grabs are best used, and best not used.

Match 2!
Things you did too much:
-SideB. (already covered this)
-Dash Attack (if your opponent shields it, you're definitely eating some attack or a grab. Try and use it only when your opponent has no chance of shielding, like while he lands or something)
-DownB (it's a nice attack, but if you miss, your opponent WILL hit you for it, possibly even kill you. best to use it rarely)
-Airdodge (airdodging is good for when you're high in the air, trying to reach the floor, and your opponent won't let you. If you just got hit by a weak attack and didn't get sent far at all, don't airdodge. You can't fastfall while airdodging, and you're vulnerable to your opponent's attacks while you do it.)
-Nair (already covered this)
-Dair onstage (already covered this)

Things you didn't do enough:
-Airdodge through your opponent's attacks while coming back onto the stage. You airdodged while on the stage already, when your opponent hit you with weak attacks, leaving you vulnerable to even more attacks.
-Use all your jumps before using upB. Already covered this, but just wanted to point out how you lost a stock because of this yet again. This is important, your upB is much more vulnerable than it seems, leave it as a last resort.
-Tilts. In this match, you stuck to the air more than the ground. This isn't bad, but it's not good either. You need to balance out your grounded game with your aerial game, and in this match, your grounded game was severely lacking in everything. Every tilt of Kirby's is an important asset to him, and dominating these is important to shutting down your opponent's options. How would he have approached if you utilted his approaches? Or ftilted him from out of his range? Or dtilted him, he tripped, and you ran in and grabbed him immediately?

Thing you should improve on:
-Reaction speed. Once again, you lost a lot of chances to outplay your opponent and punish him, just because you're not reacting fast enough. Might I suggest using faster characters for a secondary, then going back to Kirby once you can use that character well enough? I would suggest, out of personal preference, ZSS/Fox/MK/Marth/Diddy... Or play some puzzle games, or a shooter or something.
-Short hopping. This is an IMPORTANT part of every character, and even more so of Kirby's. Sometimes you want to jump and remain in front of your opponent so that your attacks create a 'wall' where your opponent will have a very tough time bypassing. If he gets close, he gets hit. If he stays away, he doesn't get hit but he doesn't hit you either. If he jumps over you, you land and raise your shields then hit him depending on what he decides to do... Short hopping creates many situations in which full-hopping doesn't help at all. heck, the times you jumped your opponent took advantage of it and coled down from your beatings, or just jumped right after you!
-Watch videos so you know what you should work on.

Dash attack is an OK move. It has a longlasting hitbox, meaning that if your opponent expected you to run in and grab, or do a single attack, they would dodge or shield and punish, but with Dash attack if they do that same thing, they're gonna get hit and knocked away for it. The bad thing about it is that if your opponent knows its coming, they'll hit it from above, from out of your range, or shield the whole thing and grab you afterwards... And your goal with attacks is to deal the most damage possible, while being as safe as you can. Now dash attacks aren't safe at all, if you miss them, you're going to get hurt, and the reward you get isn't great either. So, just keep them until you know you're gonna connect one.

DownB is a very risky move. Not much to say about this move, except that if you miss, you're going to get hurt bad for it. It's very linear, meaning that there's not much you can do with this move due to it just going straight down, and nothing else. Try to use this move as less as possible, it's very punishable and only really safe offstage, and in very few situations is it better than every other move you have.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Wow, really long and detailed post by Kewkky. I could never write that much lol.

I'll just add to Kewkky's comment about dash attack a little:

First off, he's right you should probably use it when they're landing. I like to relate it to fsmash. Try only to use it when your opponent is landing or by the edge so it pushes them off, unless you know it will hit otherwise. It's nice to use by the edge because it will force them off and then hit them with the last few hits of the dash attack.
If you happen to dash attack into someone's shield, you should be doomed to recieved damage. If you find yourself in this position try to take your opponent's hopeful lack of kirby experience and dash attack ending lag and hit box knowledge to your advantage. Basically try to react faster than them when your dash attack ends. I've never tried it, but I'm assuming jabs are quick and could work for a get off me after dash attack thing. I've sometimes dtilted people when they shielded my dash attack. This may indicate ducking might be good too, since it's quick and they might miss you. Really though they should always punish you if they shield a dash attack. You can only be safe if they aren't reacting fast enough.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
Iblis, here's some advice for your friend based off that video, and his previous videos:

Skills he improved:
-Not overusing the Up Special
-Not overusing the Side Special
-Crouching more

Where he needs to improve:
-Kirby's Combo-Ability
-Kirby's Bair
-Reaction Times
-"Reading" his Opponent

Kirby's Combo-Ability

I'm sure no Kirby main can stress how important it is for Kirby to have the combos he has. If it weren't for most of his combos, in fact, it is highly likely that Kirby would not be a high tier character. For a quick list of combos, check out Section III of the Kirby guide:

Kirby: The Amazing Guide

Many of these combos only work at certain percentages, and when fighting Fox, Falco, or Wolf there is one combo in particular that he needs to remember: Fthrow >> Uair >> Fthrow >> Uair >> Fsmash. It's an almost guaranteed 50% damage on any of those characters.

Also, notice that many of the combos end with Fsmash. Don't forget this. Though some may have told you to save your Fsmash to stop it from going stale, make sure you use it when you can. But only use it when you know you'll hit with it (like at the end of a combo), otherwise it will become stale. For now, it would be best to just focus on trying to land the Fsmash, and doing that requires a Kirby combo.

Kirby's Bair

When I went through your video, I noticed that he used Kirby's Bair sparingly. This is a mistake. Oftentimes, it is best to use Kirby's Bair when not sure what to do as it is powerful (for an aerial), far-reaching, and fast. Out of all of his aerials, this should be the most used one. I can only stress this so much.

The best explanation for how useful Kirby's Bair is can be seen in this video:
~Shao~ vs. Salsa

Now, don't look at solely the outcome of the match because then you'll miss the point of the match. In that match, Shao highly relied on Kirby's Bair, and oftentimes, it paid off. If he was ever punished, it was not because he used a Bair because it is highly unlikely that any Kirby main can get punished for using a Bair. Kirby's Bair is one of the most powerful weapons in Kirby's aerial arsenal. Don't be afraid to use it.

Reaction Times &
"Reading" his Opponent

I put these two together not because they are similar problems, but because they have similar solutions. First, let's start with reaction times:

One skill that is highly important to employ Kirby's combos successfully is proper timing. This requires good reaction times. Since Brawl is primarily a visual game, it is best to train in visual reactions. Improving this skill will not only improve his ability to combo with Kirby, but also to reacting in time to punish your opponent. He can use this website to test his reaction times:
Reaction Test Game

The skill of reaction times can be improved, but first let's also take a look at "reading" his opponent:

Upon seeing the match, I continually saw him go for grabs a smashes when Iblis was nowhere near him. Though I may be wrong, it sure looked like he was actually anticipating Iblis' moves, but he was thinking too far ahead. My suggestion for this: Think in the present. By doing so, he will not throw out attacks that appear to be poorly thought out. This can be done by "reading" his opponent, or predicting where his opponent will be and what his opponent will do.

The solution to improve both of these skills is to do one thing: Practice. Really, that is the only thing that he can do. Once he gets enough practice, these skills will become second nature to him, but he must practice for this to happen. It also doesn't really matter how he practices either, as long as he practices his techniques (yes, even playing a free-for-all with items on very high can improve these skills; though, I wouldn't suggest it). Continue practicing and he will improve.

That's all. Good luck!

-Gravity-

Triple R

Smash Lord
Many of these combos only work at certain percentages, and when fighting Fox, Falco, or Wolf there is one combo in particular that he needs to remember: Fthrow >> Uair >> Fthrow >> Uair >> Fsmash. It's an almost guaranteed 50% damage on any of those characters.
-Gravity-
Though this may work on novice players, experienced players will SDI out of the combo after the first uair.

In training mode against fox I was able to do auto cancel fair to reverse utiltX2 to bair and it says it all combos (consecutive hits thingy). That gives you more damage then you'll probably get off of an old escapable grab combo.

For just a cool string I did in training mode do auto cancel fair to ulilt (forward facing) into another fair then reverse utilt to bair.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Hmm, quick question guys. I have a ton of trouble with the ZSS matchup, and I got my *** handed to me by one at MLG Columbus. Where should you take a ZSS for a counterpick if they ban Frigate, and Japes isn't legal? O_o

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Rainbow Cruise.... Or Frigate Orpheon, and just knock em offstage on the right side. In fact, choose any stages available with the least amount of ledges, or with too many ledges (like Delfino's tall island part, she can't sideB without accidentally tethering one of the islands and that ruins her game).

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Yeah, I banned Brinstar, and I ended up counter-picking RC for lack of better matchup knowledge, only to hear the people behind me inform me that it is one of her best stages...which I didn't expect. I even had people come up to me afterwards like, "Never take a Zamus to Rainbow Cruise, that's dangerous." So I was just wondering where exactly to take her when I can't pick Frigate or Japes, FD is well...FD, and Zamus is better with platforms than Kirby. I talked with YBM about it since he mains Kirby and ZSS, and decided in hindsight, I probably should have gone with Delfino.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The best place in RC to be against ZSS is the rising part, when the giant swing starts appearing. Just find a way to knock her below the swing, and her stock is as good as gone.

I dunno whats so good about it, either. But, i guess it's just me, since I always CP platformed neutrals.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I could have sworn I'd replied to this...

First off, as you said, way too much down B. Stone should rarely, if ever be used. I mean, there are times when it's useful, and I still get a few kills with it here and there, but it's best if you just cut it out of your game entirely until you learn to recognize the very rare times when it's appropriate.

You have absolutely no spacing it seems, nor do you even attempt to try to zone your opponent.

More Bair. Not saying you should mindlessly spam it, but it should be, in a lot of cases, your go-to move.

Utilize your tilts. I think I saw a total of like 6 tilts in the 1st match. If you're on the ground, tilts and grabs are your best options, being fast and relatively safe, not to mention they combo well (Dtilt into grabs, Ftilt, and Fsmash, or itself. Ftilt comboes well into itself or from a Dair Fair or Bair. Utilt comboes well into itself, up angled Ftilt, Uair, Fair, Bair, and even Dair at some percents.). On a similar note, you need more grabs.

Play more defensively overall. This includes making more use of your shield and your OoS options.

You play very randomly, but not in a good way. You throw out random punishable moves (smashes, hammers, stones, rising Nairs, etc.) far from your opponent. I mean, it sometimes works because of Wifi, but it is a horrible idea and offline will get you *****. It's one thing to mix it up, but another entirely to spam laggy KO moves and beg for punishment.

Oh, and that Pit needs to stop trying to be flashy and play smart. Good for him, he can arrow loop and arrow swarm. Too bad not one of those hit, and instead got him punished. He too needs to stick with what's safe.

There's probably more but it's late, I only watched the first match, and I'm kinda drunk, so yeah...

Sir_J

Smash Apprentice
I could have sworn I'd replied to this...

First off, as you said, way too much down B. Stone should rarely, if ever be used. I mean, there are times when it's useful, and I still get a few kills with it here and there, but it's best if you just cut it out of your game entirely until you learn to recognize the very rare times when it's appropriate.

You have absolutely no spacing it seems, nor do you even attempt to try to zone your opponent.

More Bair. Not saying you should mindlessly spam it, but it should be, in a lot of cases, your go-to move.

Utilize your tilts. I think I saw a total of like 6 tilts in the 1st match. If you're on the ground, tilts and grabs are your best options, being fast and relatively safe, not to mention they combo well (Dtilt into grabs, Ftilt, and Fsmash, or itself. Ftilt comboes well into itself or from a Dair Fair or Bair. Utilt comboes well into itself, up angled Ftilt, Uair, Fair, Bair, and even Dair at some percents.). On a similar note, you need more grabs.

Play more defensively overall. This includes making more use of your shield and your OoS options.

You play very randomly, but not in a good way. You throw out random punishable moves (smashes, hammers, stones, rising Nairs, etc.) far from your opponent. I mean, it sometimes works because of Wifi, but it is a horrible idea and offline will get you *****. It's one thing to mix it up, but another entirely to spam laggy KO moves and beg for punishment.

Oh, and that Pit needs to stop trying to be flashy and play smart. Good for him, he can arrow loop and arrow swarm. Too bad not one of those hit, and instead got him punished. He too needs to stick with what's safe.

There's probably more but it's late, I only watched the first match, and I'm kinda drunk, so yeah...
Harshhhh... Lmfao, but I will take it into consideration. Thanks for the critism :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, I guess I was a bit blunt, but it's what you need to work on to improve. Better to tell you outright and see improvement than to sugarcoat it and see you make the same mistakes over and over.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Good. Save Fsmash for kills. Only really use it when you feel certain it will hit, or for the occasional mixup if you think they won't see it coming. A stale Fsmash is a sad Fsmash, my friend.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Cry tears of joy, hoping you're not dreaming? Kirby doesn't break shields, at least not in Brawl.

But in case that happens, taunt, a lot, and then... grab combo? Or maybe grounded hammer, d-smash, u-smash for damage? Inhale and get his power?

I don't think Kirby can abuse a broken shield on early percents, with the exception of grab combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom