• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If I break someones shield early, what would I do?
Grounded sideB. If they're near a ledge and with pretty decent % (40%-100%), hit them with the second hit of the aerial sideB.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I can only remember breaking a shield with kirby twice since I started playing brawl....

First time was on yoshi's against a falco. I was on the slanted platform right about falco and I did a grounded stone. The first earthquake hit on the platform hit him, then I slid off hitting his shield again and then I fell on the ground. It was enought to break his shield.

Second time I broke Breezy the all mighty Ganondorf's shield with a copied warlock punch in a friendly. I then proceeded to do another warlock punch for the KO.

But yeah, if you break a shield, probably go for strings at low percent, and higher percents just do as much damage as you can do if you can't outright KO them. Safest option would be to do a high damage move anytime you break a shield.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I've broken a shield a handful of times but the most epic was on PS1. Some scrub was trying to getup from the ledge and I rock'd his shield. It pushed him off and he grabbed the ledge. The reason I say scrub was because this happened three times in a row before I broke his shield and watched him plummet to his death when he got pushed off by the rock.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
lol jowii.
Yeah I just stick to grounded hammer for broken shields. crazy KB and damage, not to mention I feel satisfaction when I land it. What's not to love?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Yunior- **** good first stock. Great utilizating of your tilts, excellent grab combos and good approach. You did well recovering from the stage by avoiding the obvious gimp-attempt and you were patient.

The second stock though. You were doing everything right AGAIN! it's was pretty to watch. But you got Fox to kill percent and you sat there fishing for kills trying to make something happened. I know you know that's not what you do against Fox. You got greedy and you got killed. Try and be patient when you're ahead. Rack small damage until he's towards 150~% and then shieldgrab>UpThrow off the top platform.

Third stock you weren't trying. After something doesn't go your way (a strategy switch from first stock to second stock) revert back to the working strategy and be patient.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELUBMThlmkM

I finally got around to recording some stuff. XD This one I particularly think is good (in the beginning, obviously. He suicides at the end. LOL). Just a few notes before you guys critique:

- At 0:49, when I completely whiffed the Inhale, I meant to B-Reverse it.
- Don't worry about the end. He accidentally B-Reversed it (He doesn't during tournaments).
- And this is a Money Match.

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4qp5tqX5Q

A few more notes:

- I definitely used way too much Inhale this match.
- And a question: do I play worse with an ability?

Critique away! :D

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Haha, yeah, I think I have that problem, but that's why I'm asking to make sure. XD I'm trying to incorporate Kirby's more useful abilities (Falco, Pikachu, ROB, etc...) into my game when I do get off that off-chance inhale so that when I do have them, I'll really take control of the match.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Hey guys, I am veeery inexperienced with the Peach matchup. I faced someone reciently (wifi, yeah I know), and I feel like I did a bit badly. Also, being the first time I was going to be on youtube kinda made me nervous but still. Any help?

Heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTrgnFVBm5A

*awaits nervously*
You actually didn't do that bad for not knowing the match up. The Peach Player also seemed like they didn't know the match up. The only thing I would suggest is using that back Air more. It keeps pressure on the player and it's difficult to punish when spaced correctly. Also, I don't recall you doing a Fsmash once.... That's Kirbys Strongest Smash...You did a good job not using it... But try to abuse it when Peach is around 90% or better. Since you kept it fresh, those would have been some easy KOs. And stop falling for that Up Air through the stage trick.. you died twice from that. Also, be patient...I felt like you were rushing into things, take your time... You have 8 minutes in a match use every second you need to find that opening. The Hammers are fairly hard to get off against Peach, so try not to use that much...and try to avoid doing Down B, when it's so obvious...

Keep it up, The next time you play a Peach...you should win... Unless it's KB, cause ya know that is a God Kai.....

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Y.b.M!!! Hey thanks!! Yeah, I'll be more patient. A bit more F-Smash and less Side-B/Down-B. Got it! :bee: Now I just gotta avoid the U-Air trick and try to bait and punish it now. Million thanks YBM!! You're Kirby's awesome!

Also, after some researching, I found out that Peach has some frame advantage when she does her F-air and land cancels it. So I gotta watch out for that, too.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0

You either need to practice with the abilities to incorporate them into your playstyle, or don't inhale the ability. It looked like you were trying to use the lasers to camp on a relatively small stage. You gotta use them for small damage here and there, the gimp (I saw you use it for that) or use them but AIRcamp instead.

Hey guys, I am veeery inexperienced with the Peach matchup. I faced someone reciently (wifi, yeah I know), and I feel like I did a bit badly. Also, being the first time I was going to be on youtube kinda made me nervous but still. Any help?

Heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTrgnFVBm5A

*awaits nervously*
BLAH!!!
First off, go to the MU thread and click on the peach link and read the summary.
Second, much more BAir! Lots of it! LOTS AND LOTS! It cancels turnips, floating approaches and help rack damage.

Don't really try to go for the grabs or UTilts as much because when Peach is floaty the timing of when she wants to land and her movement is hard to read to get the grab and you don't wanna be under her.

Lastly, if you have the stock lead stay away from Peach. BAir wall.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thanks JoWii, I'll definetly stay under her and B-Air the crap outta her.
*reads the matchup thread*

Edit: wups... I mean not stay under her... :laugh: I didn't mean to make you panic JoWii.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Yeah, I'm gonna start incorporating them into my play style. They're a huge bonus when I feel bold enough to get the ability and succeed. Could I get some other feedback? Like, moves used correctly and incorrectly, shielding, OoS, grabbing, etc... that'd be awesome! :D

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Hey YBM, legit advice on the Marth MU? ;)
Sure.

I don't find Marth to be that big of a threat at all honestly, I've yet to lose to one in a tournament set.

Mostly all of Marths attacks tipper. So a Kirby who spaces Bairs correctly should do fine. Dancing blades of course is there go to move when they are under pressure. Make sure to shield all of the DB attacks because they are wide open for an easy attack/grab after they finish. If you are unsure about when they will attack you out of it..then just hold your shield and reset your battle position, most Marth players are smart so the damage isn't worth it.

Fthrow Combos aren't going to be commonly used since they can Up B OoS. You can mix up to throw your opponent off...and once they miss the Up B...you have an easy punish.Also, instead of doing a Fthrow against a Marth. D throw is your go to move. They may hop above your Utilt afterward but anticipate that and powershield there Fair while approaching with a grab. Marth players LOVE that Fair.

Usually when Marth players use there Nair attacks they go forward and back. The first attack isn't really anything to worry about but getting hit by the 2nd one tippers. Using Ftilt is good against Marth... but don't overuse it because Marth out ranges Kirby...

Punishing Marth while he is off the stage is cool but watch out for that spike of his. But they will only use that after a jump since the Lag on that move is bad.

I don't suggest rock, use forward B against his Counter (when it won't counter). Counter Pick him to stages like Frigate, Halberd, PS1, SV, or FD. Mainly stages that don't give him the option of having platforms...or whatever you are mostly comfortable with.

But just space your moves right, and don't overuse your Fsmash...reserve it for when he's at killing range...

Darkrulerjoe

Smash Rookie
Im sorry for posting in this thread since it looks dead but i would like to see what people think and give me advice on my kirby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yN-Of41ZTE&feature=related

Me and my friends has some more videos but we didnt upload them yet. When we do i'll post another video of me on here. Please tell me what i should do to improve my kirby, and dont look at me on that last life in the video.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You posted in the right place. I'll try to watch and rate them later, when I have time.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sorry, forgot about it and haven't had much time lately. I'll try to rate them tonight.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I'd kinda forgotten this again... my bad.

Anyway:

-Work on your DI/momentum canceling. You were dying way earlier than you should.
-Way, way, WAY too aggressive. A good marth would have shut you out for playing like that. Kirby is more of a 'bait and punish' character. Also, you pretty much never shielded or airdodged. You always rolled backwards when you missed a move, especially hammer.
-Work on your spacing. You misspaced a lot.
-NEVER attack marth's shield. He can UpB OoS every time. Nair OoS would have worked too.
-Approaching with Dair is a bad idea unless you are absolutely sure they won't expect it/will spotdodge. Generally, it's better as an OoS option.
-Not enough tilts.
-Never use stone.
-If you can help it, recover without using Final Cutter. I saw you use it a lot of times when you didn't need to and it leaves you open. In fact, twice Marth could/should have spiked you out of it, when you could have just recovered with the 2-3 jumps you had left.
-Use dash attack very sparingly. It is very easy to SDI and punish. Best used for punishing spotdodges, airdodges into the ground, or if you think it'll catch your opponent off guard.
-Fair isn't a bad move, but you overuse it. Try using more Bair instead, or simply not attacking every time you jump at him to fake him out.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I agree with pretty much everything fromundaman said, except for "Never use stone." Almost never use stone. As far as I can tell (and I know a lot about stone), it's best used as an edguard, a once-per-10-games midair stone->stop in midair->use stone again, and as a rare mixup when you're juggling someone (instead of going for a uair, use stone if you expect them to fastfall attack you). The final way I think it's useful is after momentum cancelling Ness's bthrow, stone seems to be the most effective way not to die, since momentum cancelling doesn't seem to get rid of all of the momentum.

Don't use Final Cutter in close-range combat. There's too much starting and ending lag for it to be reliable.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I agree that you should *almost* never use stone, the best way to get to that point is to cut it out completely, then eventually you'll start to notice the few situations it helps in.

At worst, you're better off never using it than using it too much in an attempt to make it work.

Darkrulerjoe

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks guys for the help, i'll try to fix up my kirby. Im more of a rusher with kirby and that could be why i always have trouble with chars that camp (friend uses olimar cant beat him) I also noticed by what my friend says that kirby is my 2nd best and not my best prob because im so offensive with him and need to learn how to be able to go defensive with him.

I try to start with the running dash and get them into the air and do Fair and combo them off the stage and then end with a spike. And i only use the stone attack to get down to the ground faster. I never use it as an attack unless by accident, i just use it and get out of it mid-way unless i see there not expecting me to go all the way.

Im just now starting on the Tilts, because i use to not use them often because i would accidently jump when trying to do Utilt and i recently took off tap jump so i will be using that more often. I try not to use the hammers as well since i know its recovery is so bad.

And i just learned how to DI yesturday so i will be working on that slowly. I do need to work on airdodg'ing. It seems i can never hit an airdodge when i hit onto the board and i need to fix that.

Earlier this year when i had school, we had a Gamer's club and during the year of it we had 3 Big brawl tournys and they average about 30 people which was alot for a school club tournament and i won the 2nd tourny with kirby. So its kind of hard for me to try to practice some of these out when theres only like 3 or 4 people that actually were good there.

And i dont play online since the lag makes it impossible to dodge or combo for me atleast. So if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do to practice DI or combo's or to get better in-general Besides online, since i dont get much chances to face my friends in brawl.

Thanks for all the help guys, I know i wont stand a chance but i am planing on going to the next big Smash Tourny that i heard was coming up in Winter. So im trying to get as much practice as i can while i have time.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
has any kirby tried standing on norfair when the lavas coming up to just below the second platforms and inhaled while your oponent was just below you? I just did that in a wifi match against a snake and what looked like happened was when he got hit by lava he didnt bounce pass me but stayed in the lava for an extra hit because of the inhale

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
That works. It's like every other windbox: if you use it at the right time, your opponent's flying momentum from a recent hit is canceled and they go straight down or the stay still in the air and slowly fall down. I did lots of testing with windboxes with ness' psimag, mainly because it is so epic to do that type of stuff. It makes brinstar so much more legit for ness.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I think rock and hammer are both GREAT for recovery and you guys just don't know how to use it.

Rock- Good for canceling a bit of momentum, great for falling back to stage-level so you can recover faster, and good for 'seldom use' mixups on YI, PTAD, DistantP, and PS1.

Hammer- EXCELLENT for horizontal recovery when you're slight above stage-level. It's a great way to stall off the stage against edgegaurders. Another thing is it's useful against Olimars AND as a 'seldom use' mindgame to get someone outta a shield (basically you aerialHammer, whiff or get shielded the first hit and smack them the second hit.

FC- good for 1-2 planks as long as you hit your opponent with the up-slash. If you don't hit the upslash, you'll get punished the down-slash part. Regrab the ledge on the down-slash if you hit your opponent. Once you've accomplished the plank once, hitting the opponent both up and downslashes, DI towards the stage and hit your opponent with the upslash, downslash AND projectile to get back on the stage. Obviously this isn't something you'll be using on a consistent basis but it does work, OFTEN; Also great for shenanigans on YI, PS1 and Distant Planet. (It also goes through the walls of Luigi's Mansion AND the statues on Castle Siege unlike other projectiles). Situational? Yes. How often does the situation present itself? Often enough to be valid.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
FC- I believe is the most UNDERrated kirby move. I use it constantly in a match its even the first thing i do. The beam is good for stopping others spam and if you spam it most people get frustrated and THINK they can punish it but it usually takes 2 or 3 for them to get to you and you should always keep them near the end of the blade and use it to bait people near the edge so when they finally get close enough to ppunish you can grab that ledge cancelling the landing lag. Also WATCH when you hit them, if you can go low enough to hit them on the down swing and they trip you can get on stage safely with a Fair and possibly combo out of that

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Aerial Hammer is the most underrated IMO.

Props though on the good FC uses though spamming it just isn't that great; unless you're playing someone slow.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
To say that Kirby's Final Cutter is the most underrated move would not be that much of a stretch. If used properly, it can prove to be an effective spacing move that ends with a projectile. However, A1 is right, Final Cutter is not a move to be used in close range combat, or even offensively for that matter. But Final Cutter can really shine as a retreating move if it hits near the tip for the upward slash; after that point, the Kirby player should tilt away from the opponent to hit with the projectile and to retreat.

Also, the aerial hammer is also highly useful, but it is best used as a means to punish or recover. Generally, it is also intelligent to cancel out the phantom lag with another attack so that you will not get punished. But yes, the aerial hammer is also quite underrated.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I believe that against a lot of characters the aerial hammer is a great offensive pressure move. Against Olimar's who whistle the second hit lands. Against big frame characters you shield pressure with both hits. Against recovering opponents it'll stop horizontal movement while they avoid both hits. And it's great for both horizontal recovery and punishing like you said.

FC is best for planking and pretty much mostly planking; there are other situational uses but they're less common.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
DRDN, where the hell are you getting these set ups? Who are you playing that is allowing you this stuff? WIFAIL???

@ scrub that randomly looks in on this thread hoping to get Kirby tips- DONT USE FC UNTIL YOU ARE BETTER, OR IF YOU HAVE TO USE IT, BECAUSE THE URGE IS UNBEARABLE, USE IT TO PLANK.

@ the experienced Kirbehs- Meh, I love to use FC on PS1 and YI because of the angles; I find it to be nice once you get the opponent in the air. Obviously if you're experienced you can find the situation uses.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
That's some horrible DI on their part then. They should go up and infront most of the time. Besides, if you're bothering to plank obviously they were edgegaurding which means they have 'the means' to edgegaurd in which case you'd prolly just wanna get off the ledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom