• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

i1337

Smash Ace
Pummeling is when you hit them while you are grabbing them before you throw them.

Truth has been spoken.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░░░ ░░░█████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░██░░ ░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ ░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░▓▓▓▓█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████░░░░██░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░█▓░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░█░░░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░██░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

minford10

Smash Cadet
Eyes-I didn't see any giant punches in games two and three...you didn't really need them because you were really kicking *** but its something you should incorporate more...idk maybe there weren't many situations to use it in that set but maybe you should at least throw a couple out there just to show a more diversified moveset...not to mention its one of dk's best moves...

sweet spike at 1:40 vs samus :)

i1337

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RohKFpqFpiU&feature=channel_page

I'd like to get some critique if possible. I've been working on my Dk a lot. Cyphus is an inspiration. and Giant punch is amazzzzzzzzzing.

Pleaseeee critique thx.
nice dk. here are some "tips", lol:

-use down b and grounded up b, imo theyre some of dk's best damage racking moves.
- at semi-close range (far enough not to get grabbed) use dtilt, not ftilt.
-there were some times where you couldve used the spinning kong brake, like at 1:57
-use short hop bair :p

just my two cents lol. anyways, great dk

daisho

Smash Lord

-use down b and grounded up b, imo theyre some of dk's best damage racking moves.
-there were some times where you couldve used the spinning kong brake, like at 1:57

WTF... a serious post by i1337... I honestly don't remember anything like this.

To add to what i1337 said (most of what I wanted to say was mentioned in his post) you should learn to time the SA of the punch. You succeeded once and I'm pretty sure you had it another time, but he grabbed you instead of attacking. You used it as a normal attack, you must take advantage of its best property.

Up B OoS is an amazing attack. Especially with its SA frames.

DKs cargo F throw is nearly useless unless performing a CSS. You should have D throwed to put him in a difficult position.

If you were playing a character other than MK I would say that you should edgeguard more, but MKs offstage game is amazing. Still though, there were a couple of opportunities for you to bair MK with little chance of being punished.

Still, your DK is extremely impressive (WAAAY better than mine). You have few things to work on and I'm looking forward to/hoping you play DK more often.

D0N

Smash Ace
So... is anyboday gonna say anything about the vid I posted or am I just gonna be skipped?

Lee Martin

Smash Ace

Thanks i just don't really know when a good time to use down b is. It seems too laggy and dtilt seems more rewarding since it can trip. Down b seems to have a LOT of range though, i never really messed with it.

It seems like i get shieldgrabbed easier when i use dtilt than ftilt. Does anybody know How many frames it takes for dtilt and ftilt to come out?

I have NO idea what the spinning kong brake is lol.

Sh bair is predictable. lol. jk i should incorporate it more, just not used to moving backwards yet.

THANKS for the tips :)

WTF... a serious post by i1337... I honestly don't remember anything like this.

To add to what i1337 said (most of what I wanted to say was mentioned in his post) you should learn to time the SA of the punch. You succeeded once and I'm pretty sure you had it another time, but he grabbed you instead of attacking. You used it as a normal attack, you must take advantage of its best property.

Up B OoS is an amazing attack. Especially with its SA frames.

DKs cargo F throw is nearly useless unless performing a CSS. You should have D throwed to put him in a difficult position.

If you were playing a character other than MK I would say that you should edgeguard more, but MKs offstage game is amazing. Still though, there were a couple of opportunities for you to bair MK with little chance of being punished.

Still, your DK is extremely impressive (WAAAY better than mine). You have few things to work on and I'm looking forward to/hoping you play DK more often.
thanks also for the tips. Does Upb hit in front of him or in the back of him first?.

i have no idea what throw to do with dk. lately ive been using Up throw bc of his good uair and upwards killing amazing dsmash lol.

Thanks again though i'ma keep everything in mind and try to learn some new things.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
You can find out how fast each attack is in my frame data thread. It should be on the first page somewhere.

You look like you know DK's combo's like Dthrow to Ftilt at low damage and Dtilt trip to down b. I would Dthrow to Ftilt/Dtilt before about 25%. If your back is to the ledge either Bthrow, CSS, or Cargo Dthrow away from the ledge. Cargo Uthrow is better than Uthrow in general.

Grounded up b and aerial side b do tons of shield damage. Grounded up b does so much shield damage it shield pokes at the end sometimes even when they had a full shield. Aerial side b is almost as good as shield breaker and it stalls in the air so it can help against juggles/mix up your recovery.

Spinning kong breaking is using up b instead of double jumping after getting hit. Up b cancels your momentum a lot better than double jumping. Using Bair to cancel hitstun and then up b to cancel momentum to live to really high percentages.

I think you should work in some more proactive edge guarding. Using some downward angled Ftilts or Dtilts to apply some pressure offstage more often is probably a good idea. Going offstage with some Bairs works too. Don't be afraid to chase them around since DK has a very good horizontal recovery.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Thanks for the link to the frame data thread. AWESOME info. should be stickied :). I'm going to incorporate some of these things. They all look like really good mixups too. Mixups with super armor. TOO good.

And i just didnt know the name for spinning kong breaking but i had forgot about it. I incorporate the bucket breaking with gw a lot so this should hopefully come easy. :) Dk is suppper fun and legit. hehe

daisho

Smash Lord
About down B. I don't remember where but there was a post somewhere about the characters to use it on. But basically Don't use it on MK or Peach and a few others. You should use it either when they are on the ground after a trip. Or after theyve been hit but didn't cancel hitstun. They have no options to get away from it. It can also be used while they are spotdodging. It is almost unstoppable unless they have great timing. Also, you can use it when they are just standing shielding. They still have limited options.

Big O, On many characters you can get Jump Cargo U throw DJ U air at low percents. Depending on how good at mashing they are, its better than d throw F tilt (about 7 more percent).

Also a throwing tactic that I haven't tested yet due to lack of wii is Cargo Jump offstage F throw DJ Fair. Ive tested it on a level 9 DDD and it kills him at like 40%. Obviously people can DI out of it, but if you mix it up with D throw then if they DI up they will be in Spike range. It works at between 25-40 for most characters I think but it definitely needs more testing.

D0N, i'll get to you later.

Edit: I think I know why I skipped it the first time. You two stocked him and your only death was unlucky. If you can get a video where you don' destroy your opponent it would be easier to critique.

Some things I noticed though were that you barely used tilts. At points rob was destroying you with F tilts. You outrange him, take advantage.

The headbutt when he was at 0 was a bad move. You got punished for it and there was no upside. He would have broken out before you could do anything. Headbutt really shouldn't be used until they are at like 20, then you can get an Up B in.

i1337

Smash Ace
About down B. I don't remember where but there was a post somewhere about the characters to use it on. But basically Don't use it on MK

what? lol, it's actually my best damage racking move against mk.

or Peach and a few others. You should use it either when they are on the ground after a trip. Or after theyve been hit but didn't cancel hitstun. They have no options to get away from it. It can also be used while they are spotdodging. It is almost unstoppable unless they have great timing. Also, you can use it when they are just standing shielding. They still have limited options.

omg yes :p

Big O, On many characters you can get Jump Cargo U throw DJ U air at low percents. Depending on how good at mashing they are, its better than d throw F tilt (about 7 more percent).

i usually do that up to around 40% on most characters.

Also a throwing tactic that I haven't tested yet due to lack of wii is Cargo Jump offstage F throw DJ Fair. Ive tested it on a level 9 DDD and it kills him at like 40%. Obviously people can DI out of it, but if you mix it up with D throw then if they DI up they will be in Spike range. It works at between 25-40 for most characters I think but it definitely needs more testing.

lol yes. i love doing that :)

The headbutt when he was at 0 was a bad move. You got punished for it and there was no upside. He would have broken out before you could do anything. Headbutt really shouldn't be used until they are at like 20, then you can get an Up B in.

I havent watched his vid yet, but maybe that was a finger slip :p

my opinion is in blue, lol.

daisho

Smash Lord
Well MK on reaction can just press the B button. That stops down b and makes me very sad.

His headbutt was a reverse aerial headbutt and would have landed except he got hit out of it, it was on purpose :)

You've tested that combo? I never heard of it besides what I did. I would like to test it extensively with someone, but I don't have anyone to test it with.

D0N

Smash Ace
Thanks Eazy23:)

That side-b was on purpose, but it was one of those moments when you say to yourself "why did I just do that?" I ussually dont do it even at 20% because as you said, they break out (in my experience they do, most of my opponents like to button mash). that being said, I dont ussually up-b after a headbutt so ill keep that in mind.

As for robs f-tilt, I thought I dealt with it well once I figured out he would keep doing it (I did up-b). Im not sure why I didnt use as many tilts though, I guess I just felt like b-air was working well enough this match. I'll get a better video. Thanks daisho

Just a suggestion, but you should put something like "try not to posts lots of vids of you wrecking your opponent" on the front page. Your right to say its hard to critique something when most of what you do against your opponent works. I didnt think of that ahead of time and others may not either.

D0N

Smash Ace
*Double Post* - I have more matches. One is new the rest are old. I wanted different old ones against a friends really good marth (maybe I can get them later) but these have to do for now. Please Critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-u-mSpry2Q - vs Sheik :: That f-smash out of sheild was an accident. so was my upsmash in the begining and my f-air onstage.

set vs D3 - old ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKORGDCkJnA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAPsBwWT-M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlixcDGrlU&feature=related

Edit: I would prefer that they all be watched and then I be critiqued, but if your only gonna look at one look at the last one vs D3.

Also @ Daisho: I guess I side-b at 0% more often then I think although I know its bad. Probly cuz im thinking of hitting with it, but not what I will follow up with. Thanks for pointing it out :).

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
The match vs. Sheik: Everything was good, solid DK. Down smash a bit more, and remember to stage spike from time to time. You made good use of the lagless up b as well. Keep it up.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Pretty solid DK, Don. You used Up-B at a lot of good times, and your Cargo DToss setups were nice (I usually try for the Dair on them, but all your Bair follow ups seemed to work). I guess the only thing I can say is your Side-B's not working; sometimes you were a little reckless with them.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'd appreciate some critiques on these matches. I lost both of these sets to people that I know I can beat because I've beaten them before, so I think these would be good matches to critique. I was a little rusty when I played these because I had been at the beach the whole week until the tournament.

The first 3 matches are a set vs a snake, the last match is the second match in a set vs a wolf player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q94m7VJtIwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyDrUZbeMo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H8LjWWWUBk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zws8zAChePA&feature=channel_page

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
You had that last match against the Snake. I have the same problem against Snake's that you had that match. Getting hit with too many C4's. He did some Nairs when you were really high or on the ledge. When you are really high instead of air dodging do a side b to stall and mess up his timing. When you are on the ledge try waiting a bit to go in between Nairs. Snake has the lowest jump out of headbutts so you shouldn't be double jumping. If you just used a full hop Dair it you could have hit him before he air dodged in the beginning of the first match.

I see how you used down b pretty successfully in this match so I guess I have a better idea of how to use it against him now.

daisho

Smash Lord
I think you just made more mistakes than you normally do (for instance going straight into Wofl's charged D smash, or up bing randomly to land with lag).

Mind the C4, make sure you know where it is at all times especially when you are at a percent where it can KO you.

I think that you use smashes too often. You got punished alot, especially when they shielded D smash. You really shouldn't try to force those kills because DKs smashes have alot of ending lag. I think it got the the point where you were really bothered by trying to get a kill. You barely did any U airs. Use that to kill every once in a while.

And when charging the punch, almost all the time using it during the charging phase will not work. They will see it coming.

But still, you played pretty well and mistake free, you just made more than you usually do which led to you losing.

D0N

Smash Ace
Thanks for the comments Jmex and MasterCheeze, I did get a little reckless with side-b.

Ragnar0k: Im no good at critiques, but I'll give my opinion anyway. Nice use of down-b throughout the snake set. I think your first match against snake could have used more u-tilt and more grabs (I can see where you tried and it got out prioritized a few times, but still). At times when you know something will hit, like @ 2:25 for example, you can u-tilt to get snake in the air rather than a retreating b-air out of shield. both will work, but u-tilt gives you a better position while b-air is safer if your unsure. I know that's only one instance I pointed out, but its something to think about.

I think your third match was your best, even though you lost. I can't explain why too well, but for one thing you used more u-tilt I notice you didn't really grab much that match either , or the whole set for that matter (though when you did, you made it useful). Does that have something to do with the fact that its snake and you were worried about grenades or something? Or is it just your style of play? Imo you should grab a bit more.

Against wolf I don't want to say anything since I dont really play any. I just know I hate his laser...

I always wanted to play you, Dr.PP, and a few others in NC since I go to college there, but I never get to go to any of the tourneys there and im still closer to the VA players even though im in NC oddly enough... oh well, someday... Feel free to say something about my vids. Hope something I said helps.

My first useful post on the DK boards, and its a critique... Sorry for not introducing myself first. Ill do it somewhere else eventually, this isnt the thread for that.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Against WOLF work your grabs to the max. If you cant get him off stage in time just throw them straight up. You can put a hurt on them when there above you.

When you can get them off stage however, there just like marth. Cargo and down throw away from stage and they wont be able to make it back if you grab the ledge.

Wolf shouldn't be too hard if played right.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I don't grab enough regardless of who I play. Thanks for the advice guys. D0N you should definitely try to make it to some NC tourneys, we can do DK dittos and stuff.

D0N

Smash Ace
One day I will, but it wont be until at least December (Leaving U.S. for awhile just before HERB 2 :(). I'm looking forward to it though.

crifer

Smash Lord
Against fox work your grabs to the max. If you cant get him off stage in time just throw them straight up. You can put a hurt on them when there above you.

When you can get them off stage however, there just like marth. Cargo and down throw away from stage and they wont be able to make it back if you grab the ledge.

Wolf shouldn't be too hard if played right.
no. Fox is not helpless at all, after a cargo dthrow,
he has the rising fair, which gives him a huge vertical boost.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Lol, sorry guys. I meant Wolf. *Face Palm*

Goes to edit post.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Match 4: Nice use of the Punch when there charging a move. I cant tell you how many times i got a kill by doing this. Also nice use of your tilts and down b. Im surprised that kirby wasent in the air most of the time. Im pretty sure it was because you pressured him back to the ground, although even that is not a good move on kirbys part.

Last Match: That kirby combo to your last stock was amazing.

Over all you just have to space kirby. All of your moves should have more range than his. Plus you have super armor so that gives you the advantage.

daisho

Smash Lord
Match 5: You should almost never use the punch right out of charging, it is predictable and rarely works.

Two headbutts when hes at 0. Never a good option since a decent button masher will get out during your lag from the headbutt.

Get up attack is pretty laggy.

When he did his punch thing, you should have up tilted, overall, you need more up tilt.

When you got hit by F smash, you should have just refreshed invincibility frames with up b ledgestall.

2 missed grabs and a missed up B, you got punished.

He really should have broken out.

Edit: Sorry, this was match 5. Also, after I stopped the play by play you didn't do much wrong. Overall, close set.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Pretty much what daisho and Jmex said...
But one thing by me: Break those habits. They will affect your gameplay a lot if you don't change them.
1.) You were doing a back air and then the side B out of nowhere when Kirby wasn't even below you. I considered it a habit since you did that twice.
2.) You did a down tilt and then Kirby went airborne, and you did a down B anyways. (Happened twice too.)
Otherwise, pretty good Donkey Kong and good readings. 4/5...
5/5 if you break the habits lol. :lick:

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I really wish there was a way for me to record matches up onto you tube or something. I dont have any equipment.

The only videos i have are like almost a year old.

daisho

Smash Lord
I really wish there was a way for me to record matches up onto you tube or something. I dont have any equipment.

The only videos i have are like almost a year old.
You don't have a digital camera or something? Its not great quality and I doubt it would work at tourneys but if you have someone over for some friendlys just record some.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I might just have to do this :(

I think my camera might work pretty good though.

I can record the matches to the wii, then bring it home and play it back on my hdtv to prevent those black lines from showing up. Plus since its an hdtv it will look even better.

I might have some up next week then.

Top Bottom