• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
are those online? i loaded the first one and it looks like it

@Stannum: 1st match, it looked like you werent using bair enough in certain situations. also when you knocked Hinoarashi offstage with fsmash at 0:59, as soon as you saw him use his upb brake, you should have stopped charging Paunch and gone offstage with a RAR'd bair for the kill. also, you're lacking overall in your use of tilts, most of your damage comes from execessive use of upb. its a decent approach, but you have to mix it up more. also, your DI can stand to improve. you died from a Paunch at 107% because you were DI'ing to the right, your DI on a horizontal hit move should be perpendicular to the hit so in that case as soon as you saw the paunch starting, you had to DI up

2nd match: i was seeing more of the problems from your 1st match

@Hinoarashi: good punishing, good use of tilts, but i think you should play some more offstage, DK's offstage game doesnt match MK's or Kirby's but its good enough to make some other characters work for their recovery

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
@Hinoarashi: good punishing, good use of tilts, but i think you should play some more offstage, DK's offstage game doesnt match MK's or Kirby's but its good enough to make some other characters work for their recovery
Oh, all right. Thanks man. (=

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
i dont spam upB and down B in many matchups other than DK vs. DK, but you i realize i still use it too much even then. also, whats the best way to get into good DI habits? i do momentum cancel with bair on instinct but i cant seem to use my control schtick well.

daisho

Smash Lord
I used to not DI at all and then I started, now im decent. Just try to predict. Start with multihit attacks like snakes f tilt and then you should catch on.

BTW in the match vs me just watch the second one, the first one is good in the middle but the beginning and end had alot of lag.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i dont spam upB and down B in many matchups other than DK vs. DK, but you i realize i still use it too much even then. also, whats the best way to get into good DI habits? i do momentum cancel with bair on instinct but i cant seem to use my control schtick well.
its basically just trying to react quickly when you see a hit coming. if the hit is going to send you vertically, you'll want to mash your control stick left or right. on the flip side if the hit is going to send you horizontally you're going to mash your control stick up. you have to predict, and also be quick with your control stick mashing. escaping hitstun with bair is important of course, but dont forget to fast fall as soon as the attack comes out, you can fast fall as soon as the move begins. since DK's so heavy you'll be able to live into the high 100s with good DI which can really frustrate your opponent, ultimately helping you win

Silfa

Smash Ace
In contrast to Rag ****** a diddy, here's a bit of the opposite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAppfQm3r8&NR=1

First diddy kong I've ever faced in a tournament (bit of a tourney noob) and I had no clue what to do. I just got overwhelmed and started playing really poorly, I just really didn't know what to do or expect. So yeah, if anyone wants to point out some obvious mistakes or give me some tips that'd be really appreciated.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i think there were a lot of times where you could have used downb to get diddy away from the bananas which where your biggest problems. also there were a few opportunities to land some strong moves and you did something compeletely different

in the 1st match your spacing seemed really off too, you were doing dtilts when diddy was a full DK bodylength away from you at least. fortunately you fixed that in match 2

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
In addition to that. There was no side b. That could have gotten alot of free hits.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks guys. I'll be taking that on board next time I play a diddy.

I don't think I landed any punches at all. When do you think would be a reliable time to land a punch?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
perhaps when hes coming in for an approach, super armor a banana toss.

it doesnt work against his dash attack because he keeps moving, so he gets behind you when the hitbox comes out and i think hes too short to get hit with the rear hitbox.

maybe also as a punish for when he uses his sideb with the kick. its got laggy ball cool down

D0N

Smash Ace

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Hmmm...I don't have much to say (as I probably shouldn't even be critiquing in the first place considering my skill level), but I did notice at least within your second teams vid as well as the singles vid of Frigate you posted in the Q&A that you seem to miss the dthrow -> drop off fair quite a bit (or so the vids tell; you might hit it more often in the matches that don't get recorded), and then you tend to die because you did it. I'd advise either removing it from your game entirely (sometimes high risk high reward moves aren't worth it anyway) or to mainly use it when you're either already at a high percent or have the stock lead. At least that way, the risk isn't as big as the reward. :)

D0N

Smash Ace
Im always open to suggestions from anyone.

I ussually only do the f-air thing in friendlies (Teams match) or if im desparate (Frigate). I don't go for it often, but good point lol. I dont look at my percent when I do it

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
D0N in your teams match on delfino it seemed like you did a lot of up b'ing for no reason. You also spent a lot of time offstage when you weren't edgeguarding. This gives the other team stage control, and that's not what you want. If you're being pressured to the ledge tell your teammate to come help, that's what they're for. They could just throw them offstage then you're in the perfect position to ledge hop bairs and edgeguard them. Try to keep an eye out for what your teammate is doing in teams as well. Help them when you get the chance or combo off their moves. Teams is not 2 1v1's, it's 2v2. Teamwork is a major factor.

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea, 2v2 not 2 1v1's. Its a simple thing I forget in a match and don't apply all that well if I remember. Only teamwork I really know is use zelda and help your partner with dins fire. Thanks for ideas Rag.

Nobody has anything to say about my wolf vids? Its all good, I was looking more for what to do in teams anyway.

NatP

Smash Ace
Alright here are the vids from my tourney. Sadly my one match vs the DDD didn't get recorded, even though it was the single most epic match I've ever played on brawl (PS I only won that match, because it was the first time he used DDD+he thinks infinites are wrong+he sucked at chaingrabbing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxZNSYgHMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKOIDyWvv0M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE_paoyAAec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDr2ytwY3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxpA-1AWFiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8sxZ9Hrkp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tLvtRa5Ww

Btw, I know I used way too many airdodges in some of the matches, but this was only because I was kinda nervous. Also please ignore any really ******** error I may have done in the matches.

daisho

Smash Lord
Hino,

First match:
F smash was not so good. Low reward.
Same with headbutt
I've seen you use down b twice so far. It really isn't great in the MK matchup.
Don't get into habits. Second time i've seen you bair then side b.
Hehe, it worked... but still...
Bad up B at 1:31. Usually you want to use up b while running at them. In this case by the time you got there your up b was almost done and he had an easy time punishing.
2:00 same as above.
2:22 same as above.
2:33 theres that bair headbutt again.
2:43 low reward headbutt
3:03 Up B thing
3:24 Bair headbutt + Low reward headbutt
3:48 attempted bad up b, luckily he clanked
4:54 Bair Headbutt. Overall you have way too many headbutts in the MK matchup. He's short, don't try it.
5:10 Unnecessary up b break :(
6:00 Up B thing

You start focusing on kills too much. You got that Mk to 71% on his second stock at 4:41 and didn't damage him until 5:38. You were going for a kill that whole time which is not such a good thing.

But you won so :)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
NatP I watched your videos the other day and then got preoccupied before I could critique. I can't really remember what you were doing wrong, but I do remember I liked your movement.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Hino,

First match:
F smash was not so good. Low reward.
Same with headbutt
I've seen you use down b twice so far. It really isn't great in the MK matchup.
Don't get into habits. Second time i've seen you bair then side b.
Hehe, it worked... but still...
Bad up B at 1:31. Usually you want to use up b while running at them. In this case by the time you got there your up b was almost done and he had an easy time punishing.
2:00 same as above.
2:22 same as above.
2:33 theres that bair headbutt again.
2:43 low reward headbutt
3:03 Up B thing
3:24 Bair headbutt + Low reward headbutt
3:48 attempted bad up b, luckily he clanked
4:54 Bair Headbutt. Overall you have way too many headbutts in the MK matchup. He's short, don't try it.
5:10 Unnecessary up b break :(
6:00 Up B thing

You start focusing on kills too much. You got that Mk to 71% on his second stock at 4:41 and didn't damage him until 5:38. You were going for a kill that whole time which is not such a good thing.

But you won so :)
Ok, thanks. Yeah I gotta break that Headbutt habit idk why I keep doing it.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Don't be discouraged to use it though. It's an excellent punisher. Bait grabs or shields and use it above them to avoid their move and bury them. Just make sure there's always a reason for using it.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Don't be discouraged to use it though. It's an excellent punisher. Bait grabs or shields and use it above them to avoid their move and bury them. Just make sure there's always a reason for using it.
Oh, all right. Thanks for the advice, I should start thinking more when I'm using headbutt I guess, haha.

Veggi

Smash Champion
It was alright. Your major problem was the excessive use of fairs. Mainly short hopped ones. In all of the videos I don't remember any of your fairs landing. Put simply, it's just too slow to hit unless the opponent is devoted to a recovery, a dodge, or the like. When you fair and touch the ground before the move ends it has a lot of lag, the people in the video were not punishing you consistently enough for it. Approaching with fair is a really bad idea.

You understood the concept of attacking the shield with bair, but you would go above them and miss at some points or not space bair well enough to avoid punishment. In the last video when you went 1v1 with the Snake and you were bair walling him, he should have been able to KO you utilt any of the times you tried to wall him off with bair.

Another thing to do is just keep watch better. Snake was charging an upsmash while you were charging your punch while descending and he got a fully charged up smash on you because you didn't air dodge out of your Giant Punch. Mainly, you need to watch for projectiles more because some of the most obvious ones were hitting you.

I'm not sure if you know how to do this, but to jump cancel up b you dash and press jump RIGHT before you up b. You will carry your dash momentum with you when you up b. If you have tap jump on, you do not need to press jump. Jump cancelled up b is a useful approach because it deteriorates shields very fast and shield pokes easily when it's done eating the shield. Up b also has super armor on start up.

I don't mean to sound harsh and you were quite good as a team player, but these are just some things that I noticed.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I liked the up air juggles on the snake. I'll put more time into watching them later and critique you as team player.

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
Veggie said:
Your major problem was the excessive use of fairs. Mainly short hopped ones.
Yeah I totally agree, I'm feeling bad when I see the videos with my using of the fair lol.
Thank you for your critiques :)

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
loved the punch at 2:31 on the 3rd match. Veggi covered pretty much everything. yeah the fairs are a big problem and i didnt see any headbutt use in some ocassions where it would have been good like on the 3rd video last stock with snake. bair and headbutt mixup works well sometimes as long as you dont make it predictable. good job on the bthrow kills on delfino but shame about that first stock gimp. i saw you standing and holding your shield when a roll or jump and dodge would have been better. DK dosent have a big shield despite being so huge so we can only take few hits but i was surprised on how many hits you took with the shield. i used to be a zelda main myself and man thats a nice zelda teammate you got there. just with you having zelda as a partner you have to help her when shes recovering since its easy to punish after her farores wind. your DI was good and shame you didnt get a chance to use upb brake. you just need to be wary of zeldas attacks, they didnt kill you but they put you in bad situations. if your partner is any good as shiek you guys should try that out. you got a pretty solid DK all around, much better than some upcoming DK's in my region. one thing you might want to try when recovering is lagless upb onto the stage, works well sometimes and if you manage to get the opponent in it its usually a free dsmash, same goes for grounded upb.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
just with you having zelda as a partner you have to help her when shes recovering since its easy to punish after her farores wind.
Always good to have a DK with us <3 ! I love when he comes to save me after my recovery move, even if it's me who often saves him to spikes with a Din xD !
However, those matches are old now (that was 6 month ago). Kit you should post matches more recent, your playstyle has changed now (both in 1v1 than 2v2) ._. !

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I watched the first few matches and you did pretty good. You go for cargo tricks a little too much though. Every time you cargo held him and did a jumping down throw you would always follow it up with a double jump fair. It worked the first time but got more and more predictable.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
in the mk matches after you got hit by the tornado you either did a fastfall fair or dair, it hit twice i think, but other than that you got punished for using those moves.

also use were using forward smashes while mk was at low %, try to avoid that.

I did not see a lot of flying kong approaching either, but your overall game is pretty good.

and I agree with Rag

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
the main problem i have is coming down from the air. Never sure whats the best thing to do
If you can, go for a platform or land on the ledge if you feel comfortable with your ledge get up game. Or fastfall air dodge works too, but mainly watch what your opponent is doing, and act accordingly.

Top Bottom