• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

daisho

Smash Lord
Cargo releases don't combo into anything actually unless your playing lucas ness or wario (maybe others idk).

I'm gonna go through it second by second and tell you what you did wrong (for the marth video)

Note: I am not a "Good" DK, I am just trying to show you what you may have done wrong. Please don't take any of the following in an insulting way.

I havnt watched the other video, ill watch it later.

08: A) you pummeled at 0, he should have broken out. B) If you do dthrow to Ftilt it will do about 19%. Though you did set up and edgeguarding situation which was good but didnt really do anything to try and keep him off.

11: You could have done Cargo down throw toss, this is your primary toss for getting them off stage, Cargo Fthrow is pretty much useless.

16: You ran away, why?

24: You threw out an Fsmash, if you had hit him it would have done something like 21%. You should have Ftilted which does like 10% and it almost definitely would have hit.

30: Up B has horrible ending lag unless you land on the ground shortly after it is over, next time go for the ledge.

35: Sorry, no combo. Should have pummeled and bthrew.

49: He should have broken out ages before you even got off the stage. It is too risky to attempt a cargo stage spike at that percent let alone pummel him first.

51: While he is dead you should either be A) charging your punch or B) taunting... your taunts are godly, use them to your advantage.

1:06 Try short hopping bairs instead of full hopping, you can hit marth out of a short hopped bair.

1:15 Often after you land laglessly from the Up B they will be confused long enough for you to use the DSmash. It is a good idea to Dsmash right after the Up B.

1:34 You should save the Punch longer and get him scared.

1:37 Way too far to attempt a CSS, your friend should take button mashing 101.

1:41 Usually not a good idea to do a jumping approach while facing forwards.

1:59 I couldn't tell what you used to momentum cancel but it looked like fair. Bair is much better and will save you many lives if you use Bair to Up B momentum cancel.

2:02 Again, you could have used Dthrow to ftilt

2:09 I would have punished with the punch, he should have broken out after the pummels.

2:11 Way too early to attempt CSS

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
You guys have seen a few of my vids. Started to play more and more good people, but I need advice from those I have learned from. There are vids in the DK guide from this past weekend, so please give me your harsh words. I use Wario when I can't use DK, and I use DK when I can't use Wario, so any help is much appreciated.

4-5-09 Drexel Biweekly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjjZNsBgB4I&feature=channel (me vs Yes! [Fox])
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vW-Y_YRu9I&feature=channel_page (me vs Keitaro [Falco, $1 money match] I blame lylat...sigh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b71QevsmvjU&feature=channel_page (me vs. Keitaro [Falco])

Falco johns- I'm scared of falco...nuff said.

I bless the rains.

EDIT: I know my DK well enough to know what I should have done. (like I don't RAR bair enough) The matches I lost, I definitely felt as I should have and could have won. I know my limits (like experienced MK's) and when I have been outplayed. So tear these vids up.

crifer

Smash Lord
Cargo releases don't combo into anything actually unless your playing lucas ness or wario (maybe others idk).

I'm gonna go through it second by second and tell you what you did wrong (for the marth video)

Note: I am not a "Good" DK, I am just trying to show you what you may have done wrong. Please don't take any of the following in an insulting way.

I havnt watched the other video, ill watch it later.

08: A) you pummeled at 0, he should have broken out. B) If you do dthrow to Ftilt it will do about 19%. Though you did set up and edgeguarding situation which was good but didnt really do anything to try and keep him off.

11: You could have done Cargo down throw toss, this is your primary toss for getting them off stage, Cargo Fthrow is pretty much useless.

16: You ran away, why?

24: You threw out an Fsmash, if you had hit him it would have done something like 21%. You should have Ftilted which does like 10% and it almost definitely would have hit.

30: Up B has horrible ending lag unless you land on the ground shortly after it is over, next time go for the ledge.

35: Sorry, no combo. Should have pummeled and bthrew.

49: He should have broken out ages before you even got off the stage. It is too risky to attempt a cargo stage spike at that percent let alone pummel him first.

51: While he is dead you should either be A) charging your punch or B) taunting... your taunts are godly, use them to your advantage.

1:06 Try short hopping bairs instead of full hopping, you can hit marth out of a short hopped bair.

1:15 Often after you land laglessly from the Up B they will be confused long enough for you to use the DSmash. It is a good idea to Dsmash right after the Up B.

1:34 You should save the Punch longer and get him scared.

1:37 Way too far to attempt a CSS, your friend should take button mashing 101.

1:41 Usually not a good idea to do a jumping approach while facing forwards.

1:59 I couldn't tell what you used to momentum cancel but it looked like fair. Bair is much better and will save you many lives if you use Bair to Up B momentum cancel.

2:02 Again, you could have used Dthrow to ftilt

2:09 I would have punished with the punch, he should have broken out after the pummels.

2:11 Way too early to attempt CSS

I think dthrow to dtilt to downb is much better

RP`

Smash Apprentice
D throw to D tilt doesn't work on alot of characters.
Yeah, sometimes it throws some characters too far or too high. I normally use ftilt instead and often use downb right after in case they trip or if the ftilt spaces the character far enough away from me.

daisho

Smash Lord
Update...

Got rid of the completely failed rating system... it was good in theory but clearly did not work out.

Also added a bunch more videos to the OP, i'll do the rest later.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Help me out please lol

Vids:

DK vs Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1sxfLUKFh4&feature=channel_page

More vids to come, he just, they didn't upload them. I'm just glad he added this one so I have one for you guys to help me out with.
You should learn how to charge a Giant's Punch when knocked off stage before recovering. Normally you are knocked up fairly high and you can get in 5-7 out of 10 charges in before needing to stop to recover. This allows you to gain a Giant's Punch much quicker than if you only charged when on stage.

Cancelling a charge (by shielding) in mid air is different than when grounded. If mis-timed, you'll buffer an air-dodge which can lead to death. However, if you master the timing (when you hear a "wooshing" noise), it shouldn't be a problem. The only real downside is being left open to your opponents attacks when in the charging animation, but its still an incredibly useful tool despite that minor drawback.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
You should learn how to charge a Giant's Punch when knocked off stage before recovering. Normally you are knocked up fairly high and you can get in 5-7 out of 10 charges in before needing to stop to recover. This allows you to gain a Giant's Punch much quicker than if you only charged when on stage.

Cancelling a charge (by shielding) in mid air is different than when grounded. If mis-timed, you'll buffer an air-dodge which can lead to death. However, if you master the timing (when you hear a "wooshing" noise), it shouldn't be a problem. The only real downside is being left open to your opponents attacks when in the charging animation, but its still an incredibly useful tool despite that minor drawback.
Yeah, I know how to laglessly end a punch, but I don't use it much. So your suggesting me to do that more. All right, thanks.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
****, what happened vs. Rich Brown?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
bigfoot your first video vs oli.

at 1:40, why did you shield. That is my favorite position ever to have someone in as dk and you shielded. You can capitalize on so many kills right there. From where you were you had him completely trapped with a down b. He would not have been able to roll anywhere to get away because of the ledge. And you were outspacing his gettup attack. Also you could have taken a step forward and punched to trap him in the same manner or charged a forward smash as well.

But in general needs way more down b. That move alone is the reason I think DK>Olimar.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
dk sucks at the ivysaur challenge, if he gets them off they're dead, but its really hard to get them off, and he's a really big target for bullet seed chains

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So theres no friendly fire then?

daisho

Smash Lord
Against MK. Don't shield when he runs at you. I saw twice (in the last vid) he did a dash attack and you tried to shield grab him. I don't know why he didn't just grab you but even if you do shield it, never try to shield grab his dash attack.

In my opinion you use too much D smash vs MK, it can be punished very easily by him. I see from your playstyle it is a mindgame of yours to wiff smashes to bait your opponent, but usually vs mk it won't work since he has so many quick options for punishing.

I like to save the punch for when he uses the nado or drill rush (like you did in the end) so unless i'm at the end of my stock i never use it.

Sometimes you stay on the edge too long.

TAUNT!! If they just walk into an F smash then pull out a D taunt. It gets them pissed and they might mess up.

PUMMEL!! You don't do it often enough.

I don't really know anything besides VS MK so i can't really comment much vs anyone else.

I know that you know all of this already which is why i'm wondering why you posted in here. Anyway just thought I would add my opinions on the videos.

Top Bottom