• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

daisho

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think anyone else will vote so here is the final tally.

Ripple- 8
Bigfoot- 6
CBK- 6
Ook- 6
OmniOstritch- 5
TheNix- 5

I think all six should be judges. Do any of you not want to be?

ook

Smash Lord
I dunno how good or active I'd be at this :ohwell: but I guess if no one else got votes I'll try

If someone really wants to take my place that'd be fine

daisho

Smash Lord
Well as I said. We have 6 people who were top vote getters and we only need 5. With you out of the running we have 5 so we don't need anyone to take your place.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
SOrry tournaments sucked me up for like days at a time!

Did I miss anything?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Edit .
Another recent dk match peach gives me trouble >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujbrhyu7TE
Peach didn't seem to give you much trouble in that particular match. More videos would help, I think.

From what I saw, you could probably use more up tilts and grounded up+bs. I didn't really see much in terms of actual mistakes, besides bad DI on your first death (possibly because you were doing your down+b?)

magikguy

Smash Lord
It seemed that way because i got those punches in, which made the game even. Yeah it was a mistake doing ground pound on a peach since she floats. Indeed i will try more reverse up tilt since they are better though grounded up b wont work that much since she floats at the right distance and he has epic di that i get punished for trying lol

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
New videos recorded today
(Look at my post date to see when today is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5InZAemDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gMMNi3708
Before somebody asks, these 2 matches ^^^ against MK, he doesn't care to approach if he isn't losing, so he doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnkRVuetnc8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuzTQWob8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFbSqBFrHw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHXyMgRdDg (Brinstar...has failed me)

Critique like normal, and rate.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ok esam

first match

:55 pivot grab or f tilt that tornado that was easily seen coming

1:00 don't recover high with DK unless absolutely necessary, however, times like 1:17 don't happen very often where there are so far below you it is actually better, so good choice there

1:22 uair instead of fair

second match

:29 down b instead of f tilt

:56 down dair from that high, just go for the ledge

1:20 -1:40 use a side b for mix ups

1:55 be more carful with f tilts, up b but out of a dash

2:25 do a jump get up and mash <B it should hit very often

2:32 don't dodge land on people

overall good but you need more momentum

ok since I'm no good at giving specific times and critique I'll just give general critique.

you need to work on incorporating side b into your game it can be very useful.
more down b especially against bowser provided they don'y klaw hop a lot.

on luigi's grabing is a major part of the game and is down b when ZSS was constantly throwing stuff against a wall you should have been using it

you need better DI also

less fair more uair/bair/pivot grabs

72/100

gantrain05

Smash Master
heres a couple vids of my newbie DK main, i just picked him up for serious about 2 weeks ago so some input from you pros is really appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7t_kLUfbM Jlo(Me) vs Kit(the OTHER DK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCWmXoqoOs Jlo(Me) vs Jordan(Luigi)

the second video i basically killed myself =/ i think i woulda won but im ******** and like to airdodge as i recover for some stupid reason.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
only watched the second one, cause dittos are dumb, but couple things i noticed

your game is pretty much ftilt, usmash and bair. less ftilt and usmash, more everything else.

punish with dsmash after about 90-100 for kos, don't be afraid to fsmash every once in a while

dtilt is like a safe version of ftilt that combos into stuff, work it in once in a while (ftilt is better for beating attacks though)

usmash should be more for beating a predicted dair (from anyone) or for hitting through platforms.

easy with the onstage dair/fairs, more bair and uair instead

and grab more, dk has crazy grab range and a good set of grabs to go with it.

also, use all your specials more, all of em, find places to work them in and use them, particularly up/downb

and you should work on the momentum brake

gantrain05

Smash Master
k just a couple questions, should i be spacing more with Dtilt and Bair then? i always seem to use Ftilt because of the range and pretty quick speed combined with the fact that it can be tilted.

and yeah, actually most of those Fairs were me messing up my Bairs lol, it sounds stupid, but i always try to do a quick turnaround and then Bair, but i get all excited or somethin and jump early and end up Fairing instead, i almost never use Fair other than as an occasional edgegaurd lol.

and thirdly, whats the momentum break and how does it work? i know a few G&W that use bucket break. Is it just the same thing? just use my quickest arial and cancel momentum with Side B im guessing right?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much agree with thebigfoot's points. Less fair and dair over the stage, more bair and grounded up+b. I saw a lot of the down+b in the first match, but it's a great move even when you aren't playing on Luigi's Mansion.

k just a couple questions, should i be spacing more with Dtilt and Bair then? i always seem to use Ftilt because of the range and pretty quick speed combined with the fact that it can be tilted.

and yeah, actually most of those Fairs were me messing up my Bairs lol, it sounds stupid, but i always try to do a quick turnaround and then Bair, but i get all excited or somethin and jump early and end up Fairing instead, i almost never use Fair other than as an occasional edgegaurd lol.

and thirdly, whats the momentum break and how does it work? i know a few G&W that use bucket break. Is it just the same thing? just use my quickest arial and cancel momentum with Side B im guessing right?
1: The ftilt has more range than the dtilt, but is easier to punish. Use the dtilt over it whenever your opponent is close. The bair is usually the best spacing tool, because it is difficult to punish. The down+b is also an excellent spacing tool on any character that stays on the ground a lot (Snake, for example).

2: Understandable. Try to be more careful, because one accidental fair could easily cost you a match.

3: If you are sent flying to the side, do your fastest aerial, and then jump as soon as it's done. If (and ONLY if) you are sure the attack is going to kill you, DK can use his up+b after his aerial to cancel all momentum. This is a very good tactic for surviving longer than you should, but make sure that you only use the up+b like this if you are positive you would otherwise die. I should note that DK's fastest aerial is his bair, but some people choose to use his uair instead, for various reasons. I, personally, use his bair.

If you are send flying upwards, c-stick a dair. It should fastfall as soon as the attack begins, which can help you survive a bit.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Does dair really increase survivability off the top? Is it better than bair up b?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Does dair really increase survivability off the top? Is it better than bair up b?
Any aerial + fastfall helps surviving off the top, dair is preferred just because it auto-fastfalls if you c-stick it. The absolute best way to survive would be bair+fastfall and then up+b, but I haven't ever needed to do that. It's instinct for me now to just use a dair.

daisho

Smash Lord
Another thing about the f tilt vs d tilt... If you are playing metaknight (happens pretty often...) then your ftilt will stop his tornado reliably but d tilt will only if you are lucky (like he is below you or something odd like that).

gantrain05

Smash Master
a quick question for you guys, im going to the 2nd midwest circuit event and going to enter doubles with a partner who i've never partnered with before, he mains ROB and 2nds Marth, just wondering if DK is a good doubles partner cuz i only really use him in singles, if not i'm probably gonna just go peach for dubs =/

crifer

Smash Lord
I think DK is great in Teams!!!
He´s a tank and lives really long,
has really awesome setups thanks to cargo
and yeah he just feels really good in Teams idk ow to describe it^^

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
DK is great as long as your ally is aware of your range. He provides excellent killing power, lives forever, and is great at setting up team combos with cargo down-throws. Cargo dthrow into ROB's up smash would be nice.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Marth + DK + brinstar = amazing CP. He gets insta tippers if he hits the connecty thingies or bubbles no matter what, and its DK on brinstar. Godly.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Marth + DK + brinstar = amazing CP. He gets insta tippers if he hits the connecty thingies or bubbles no matter what, and its DK on brinstar. Godly.
Sounds like the perfect CP for me and my double's partner. You sure about the tipper thing?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
also, a tip for brinstar that i don't see a lot of dks use (dks don't get recorded much) the hitbox delay on dsmash is huge, so hit one of those things that hold the stage together, use it to your advantage for some easy kos

RP`

Smash Apprentice
Please read the intro first... thenks! n_n

I have only been playing this game against REAL people for two weeks. All I have now to play against people is Wifi because all my friends who play this game suck real bad and it isn't worth taping against them. In my vids I can already spot lots of mistakes where I could have punished with like a Donkey Punch or doing stupid things to get punished, but whatever. Keep in my most of these matchups are VERY new to me, so anything like quick tips/pointers or ANYTHING will be appreciated.

And yes, my webcam does record things very bright, but I am doing the best I can to make it as visible as possible.

All my footage is on Wifi in matches where the lag is barely noticeable on the AiB ladder system (so yes, I am CPing and stuff) and has been recorded within maybe an hour or two with me playing average. I am listing these in the order of which I would most like to be critiqued (except the first one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuceXCi55Y *for the lulz*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6APFTSLGU *I roll into smashes only when I am thinking of dwarves*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDjzq9xkfg *Laugh at my SD. And sorry if I blinded you, but GaW's moves are easily telegraphed any way so whatever*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khc8lAnvAEE *First time playing Luigi's. It was CP'd against me so now I am going to see why I should ban it more often =\ *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-rXWwreoo *Not too proud of my performance in this one, a lot of mistakes have been made*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRnvjtLbvc *Playing RC for my first time... as DK too! Please laugh at my SD again. Yes, I know I could have Up Smashed at the end and win... but bleh. Sorry if you still can't see the GaW... I suck*

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
couple basic things

more back air, you need a lot more back air. c stick it to space it better, retreating back airs are a royal pain.

learn luigis a bit better before condemning it. it is a VERY good stage for dk, more than just for the downb trick.

a couple other minor things too, but you'll iron those out eventually. One major problem that i noticed was that you don't focus on the other character, you focus on your own. fighting games are player against player, you should know what you're doing, watch the other guy

RP`

Smash Apprentice
learn luigis a bit better before condemning it. it is a VERY good stage for dk, more than just for the downb trick.
Oh, I know. I just knew the guy I was facing was an MK main and I banned RC instead of Luigi's. But now that I think about it I would rather play Luigi's than RC.

Thanks for the critique though.

daisho

Smash Lord
I watched the first one but at the risk of being blinded i didn't watch any more of them.

I know how you feel about your friends sucking, same here, just one person to play against.

A few things...

Your kinda lucky that the MK didnt spam tornado or you would have gotten *****. You need to learn to SDI out of it better or you will eat 17% every time he uses it and that is as often as he likes since unless you have a fully charged punch you cant do anything about it while in the air (occasionally a bair but that works less than youd think).

Approaching with Up B (you did it once in the MK match) is normally good but vs MK is fail. MKs spinning move is better and will out prioritize you every time.

You used down b well but you should get into the habit of using it only once especially against MK. You hit with it a couple of times but both times were punished with it.

Learning to time the SA frames on the giant punch would make you SOOO much better. It is an amazing attack, learn it.

One time you get his shield down and immediately threw out a headbutt. I know you wanted to break his shield but you have to disguise it or you will never hit with it.

Getting on the ground vs MK is necessary. You really can't do much against him while he is below you.

Don't try to gimp MK, the time you tried you got lucky you survived.

About css... you were a bit risky, if he broke out sooner you probably would have died. There certainly was enough time and on battlefield unless its a sure kill its not really worth it.

About Luigis, it is an awesome place for DK. Not only will you live forever because the dimensions are huge, but with alot of percent vs MK if you still in the middle you won't die... ever. Down b is good. Cargo to uthrow against wall to dsmash is also good. also utilt chaing against the wall is good. I **** so much on luigi's that my friend doesn't even let me play there anymore... its just a sure win.

Overall I think your playstyle is what mine would look like if I actually owned a wii and could practice. I think with more fighting vs. live opponents and you will get alot better.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips. I will probably record more tonight or tomorrow night of me trying to apply what you two have told me (with less blinding action).

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I've been a (small) part of the Dallas Smash Community for a while now, and these guys are tough! Any help would be appreciated. In order of Date Played:

Jingo (DK) vs Hylian (G&W) Tournament
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3- Unrecorded, Hylian wins with MK

Jingo (DK) vs Awestin (Ness) Friendly
Match 1
Match 2

Jingo (DK) vs Bored (Ike) $1.00 MM:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Jingo (DK) vs Light (MK) Tournament
Match 1
Match 2- Unrecorded, Jingo wins against Light's ROB

Jingo (DK) vs Santi (TL) Tournament
Match 1- Unrecorded, Santi wins
Match 2
Match 3- Unrecorded, Santi wins

And thats about it. The bottom ones are the most recent. Also, I would specifically like help with the MK match-up; I really fail with it.

EDIT: Also, you guys can thank me for this thread. I'm probably the only DK "main" those guys ever play.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Dude, your DK is good. You know that mansion like the back of your hand, bair mindgames to reverse giant punches, overall the bair game was nice.

To help you, it seems like you don't know what to do when you're being pressured. Keep moving away from the person attacking you if you're in the air, especially MK. When Hylian is waiting on your attack with his shield, side b it, it will probably break. When G&W is uair'ing you, don't air dodge. That's what they want you to do, try fastfalling torwards him instead, maybe even dair might work if he keeps doing it. You might want to try moving down and away and bair him.

Hylian was trying to pressure you a lot with bair, get a punch charged when he's not there and paaunch his approaches. Use up b to approach as well, the bairs are sort of predictable and up b's super armor does wonders, it makes a great anti-approach too. You'll be living much longer than all the light characters you play so trade hits because yours matter much more. When Hylian grabs the edge to stay away from your new invincible stock, run off and bair him because I don't think he'd want to challenge someone who was invincible.

Hope that helped, also you're responsible for finding someway to mess with people who hold up. Somehow.

Edit: Take Ike to Japes, not Mansion. Ike is so bad on Japes and DK is sooo good. Also, DK's ftilt is good for stopping approaches, it has good range and priority too, you didn't seem to use it.

RP`

Smash Apprentice

daisho

Smash Lord
Firstly... I CAN SEE!

Secondly, after watching the first 30 seconds of the wario match i can already tell you roll too much. You rolled right in front of him twice already.

Also, you pummeled at like 10%, usually not a good idea, idk if its harder to mash out online and you took advantage or wtvr but he will usually break out.

You need to learn how to time your up bs better so you dont land with the lag, either land on the edge or have a lagless ending.

In my opinion you use the Punch too early. Its not so easy against wario, but timing it so his attacks hit your super armor is important because if he does it means your punch will hit.

Its a good idea usually to only do the down b once. If you do it multiple times chances are they will read it and punish.

I havnt seen any momentum canceling, not sure if you do it but you should learn it if you don't, it will help you so much in the future

As you said, you really need to use Bair more.

Anyway good job, I think your improving alot.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Jingo you have a pretty strong onstage game but your offstage game is almost nonexistent. I think DK has an amazing offstage game, I always go out and finish people. There were quite a few times I saw where you could have easily gimped someone and you just stayed onstage. Other than that good ****.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Just started maining DK for about 4/5 days now, replacing Falcon. Here are two matches, one offline, one on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbkuUohdtD0 - VS Marth (Offline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41un1Tr0wQ&fmt=18 - VS ToKneeOrNotToKnee's Ics.

Ps, I don't know much about DK at all, I've not read any guides, don't know any ats, and for some reason was under the impression that grab release from cargo combo'd into jabs.

I think I should maybe stop jabbing so much (Falcon habit no johns) and I think I should rely on spot dodges more instead of DK's sucky shield.

O yeah, I'll probably have more vids up against Knee's Ics sometime soonish, and you'll see I'm having a bit of trouble with the matchup. Help on which stage I should CP would be VERY helpful, thanks.

Top Bottom