• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I can has critiques. I'll also try to get some more videos up I still have to record the 3rd match of my set vs duo.

daisho

Smash Lord
Wow... I crawled out of my whole and got absolutely *****.

First time playing not with my one brawl friend.

AIB matches... I played one noob. One Bad-Decent Ike. One good Samus. (And one really good rob, luckily i dont have those matches...).

They are uploading to my youtube account now, i'll tell you when they get back here. Basically I had an epic fail moment.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Vid 2. BF

1.When fighting toon link spikes should only come if they have to recover.
2. Up b at :35 was well a bit unsafe.
3. At :53 I really liked the falling up air, very well placed and not pridictable.
4. From 1:10-1:46, you ran away conserving your life without racking up any damage. The key to any match with DK and really any character is use the extra life you have to rack as much possible damage as you can to the next life. You had many opertunities to really do some damage. I don't see you using your forward throw grabs almost at all. Your cargo grab is the Ideal way to gain and maintain stage control.
5.I might also want to mention your start is though not totally bad, really a bit unsafe. "I would think of a much better way of starting off a match. These comments are really only from watching the first match I hope to see you improve in the next one.;p

Q. I'm just curious if your scared to chase toon link when he's above you at 1:00-1:07. Because I didn't see you put any presure on the Tlink to land. You want to keep them off the ground and without jumps. Make them take a few lumps before they can get to the ground. I just wanted to point out you can really rack some damage on him when he's in the air if not kill him.

Just on a side not try not to become to repetitive, I noticed a very distinct pattern in your play. So try not to keep it too routine, otherwise good players will pick up and punish hard.

Really good gimp at the end of the first video.

All around this match I'd give it a 7/10 because you did well in maintaining a lead, but your stage control has something to be desired, and your not using DK's full potential since your not using all his moves that he has. I didn't even see one punch landed.

Vid 1. FD

For about the first minute of the first vid I'd have to say you need a lot more stage control if you want to win matches. Though the toon link was better than average skill level. I'd say he doesn't know the matchup very well, and didn't punish quite a few mistakes within that first minute. You need to work on your stage control Crifer, this is important in all matches but stage precence is key to victory with DK.
2.Toon link shows exeptional combo ability as well as the ability I was speaking about in your other vid. He's maximizing damage like you should be with extra lives. having more stocks in a match doens't matter if you don't us them..
3. YOu to spiked by TL...Dk should never be spiked though it seems simple it's a lot harder than you think. YOu just have to be smart about it.
4. Can't see the end of this video but I'm guessing you won somehow or lost and didn't want to show. But from what I see you need a lot more work on stage control, player pridiction(reading your opponents), and herding opponents, your pressure is weak at best. I didn't see your opponent ever decide it wasn't a good Idea to attack. You need to scare TL or else they will run the show.

crifer

Smash Lord
thx CBK. i need critique...I updated the second vid, idk why it was shortened...
I have to say its wifi, and very hard to dodge projectiles and stuff,
so going offense will almost be stopped by a projectile...
yeah about the punsh, usually I land more of them ;)
stage control, do ypu have any tips, when I should do what, or shuold i just go offense with grounded upB or bairs?
thx man, I´m going to upload more vids next week.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Listen there are a whole bunch of vids of me, me winning and me losing, if you want to look at the difference of them. When I win it's because I maintain control of the opponent and maintain control over the stage at the same time. If I lose I start doing stupid things. I could put vids up all day but you should just youtube CBK DK Donkey Kong if you want a large list of my vids to watch.

Daisho I need some more current vids, and a set to really get an understanding of your play style, and where your lacking in your game. So if you could give me something a bit more recent at least within the last six months I can tell you what you need to work on.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i need new vids up SO bad.
i got a tournament this weekend, and then the next weekend. so hopefully i'll get some stuff recorded.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ What happened during game 1? You had a solid lead, and then you started getting combo ed.

During Game 3, just throw the punch out there, that Marth was being too aggro so you would have landed the punch regardless.

Also i didnt see a single grounded UP b. Use it.

daisho

Smash Lord
Listen there are a whole bunch of vids of me, me winning and me losing, if you want to look at the difference of them. When I win it's because I maintain control of the opponent and maintain control over the stage at the same time. If I lose I start doing stupid things. I could put vids up all day but you should just youtube CBK DK Donkey Kong if you want a large list of my vids to watch.

Daisho I need some more current vids, and a set to really get an understanding of your play style, and where your lacking in your game. So if you could give me something a bit more recent at least within the last six months I can tell you what you need to work on.
Thanks for the advice.

The video I posted is current. I played the battle yesterday.

That being said, it was my first online experience and I don't think it truly displayed my skills.

I am putting up six videos (3 sets, each were 2 games). I feel I could have easily beaten the Ike both times and the Samus at least should have gone three.

I'll make some more tonight, hoepfully those will be better.

Also, I have no experience in any matchup besides metaknight because I only know one person who plays brawl... I know most of the theories behind it, but you need real experience (got 3 and 2 stocked by a rob... he was better than me, but not that much better).

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The guy I played in my videos is by far the best in the state. It was my first time playing him in singles and I was actually kind of surprised I had the lead. I would have up b'd but I saw him playing someone's dk earlier and he was just up b'ing OoS against it. Plus I was hungry. /johns

I'd like more critiques on it though thanks for everything so far.

daisho

Smash Lord
Not much to critique rag... you played really well, hes just better...

You made few mistakes from what I saw... One of them was not using D smash on the headbutted opponents. I use D smash so much... you can charge it and release it on sight of the guy braking out. You tried U smash and F smash in cases where I think both would not have killed. (Maybe the F smahs would have).

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Normally I get people with the up smash after headbutt a lot but PP was tearing his controller apart. When I went for the f smash I could have punched instead. I did make a few dumb mistakes and went for things that weren't working a few too many times. For the most part I looked like I would start strong and then PP would just pull away. idk if it was because I was playing worse and worse or if he was playing better and better. Probably a bit of both.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Against Marth...you need to need to need to space with ftilt...abuse down b whenever he comes to the ground as much as you ****ing can...Marth will always approach from the air but the few moments where he is able to be hit by down b is a lifesaver because even if he shields it, you can't be punished for it and it will reset your ftilt's stale moves ratio. also, it pushes him back giving you room to breathe and space more ftilts.

seriously, the one advantage DK has on marth that makes that matchup even is that dk has the range to beat Marth, which is something most marths aren't used to dealing with. abuse your down b, ftilt, and charge your punch whenever the other two aren't an option. this is matchup where you need to get down your spacing perfectly and make sure you never take big risks, or you'll be getting juggled like a ***** and tbqh there isn't much DK can do when that happens.

...oh, unless he happens to have a charged punch on hand. then you can sacrifice it by using the super armor frames to get down past the uair/bair/whatever the marth is using. there is really not much else you can do.

seriously. **** marth XD

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I guess I need to L2 play defensively. I always just charge in and **** **** up usually. One of the big things PP was doing that got me was jumping OoS and fairing/nairing my foot. Nobody has done that to me before and it caught me off guard.

daisho

Smash Lord
On the first match, you seemed to keep punishing with moves that hit him up and not chasing. TL does have good options for that so you should try to use more moves that hit horizontally.

You use D throw too much imo, you had some good follow ups but often a cargo D throw is better.

Your F smash was pretty predictable mostly.

More punch.

Still, good DK overall.

daisho

Smash Lord
if you can get some matches that aren't online games, then I'll critique them.

sorry but online slows the game down considerably and different things happen offline. different situations are possible
Its the best I can do... I don't know anybody in the smash community and I have just one friend who plays offline. I can't go to tourneys so I only have online.

I understand though, thanks anyway.

crifer

Smash Lord
if you can get some matches that aren't online games, then I'll critique them.

sorry but online slows the game down considerably and different things happen offline. different situations are possible
you uploaded wifi, aib ladder vids as well ;-)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you uploaded wifi, aib ladder vids as well ;-)
yeah that was more of an "look how good I am" thing. I like showing off and I really try and critique myself

I hate playing online and critiqueing online games. it doesn't show some people's pontential.

but tell you what daisho, I'd be willing to play you online to help you out. Its easier for me to critique them when I actually play them instead of watch.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I would put up different vids against different opponents if you would...well if anyone would like a good perspective on game play. Please go ahead and post multiple vids against different people so I could judge them without being shy about judging you all around.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Also, Daisho, you got way too close to that D3. If you attack him, always hit with the very tip of your attack, and your goal in Brawl is to minimize the lag on your attacks. Don't use laggy attacks unless you've spaced them well enough to be safe.

daisho

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice.

Do you go to tournaments? You seem like a good player and maybe you could start repping DK some more.

On the first stock you used a U smash when he was far away and at about 40 % and an F smash when he was far away at about 60. You were not going to kill for either of them and while they are damaging, imo the risk was much greater than the reward.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
I don't go to many tourneys. I used to go to local tourneys for melee(using Mario) but untiL I get another job I can't attend.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't go to many tourneys. I used to go to local tourneys for melee(using Mario) but untiL I get another job I can't attend.

I know th feeling, now that I'm a lifeguard I have to work 6 days a week at least and from 8-5

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Daisho... I can see that you need to do Up B approaches, not just where you do it stationary, and don't use down smash just when you feel like it lol. It looks like a habit.
When against Snake, use ground pound more often than you do Up B because Snake's airgame sucks and he's much better while on the stage. So keeping him in the air as much as possible is the key. Do more grabs to Snake also instead of Up B because you can cargo him and get away from a spawned grenade. Up B won't work as much to him because he'll pull out a grenade everytime, but against everyone else, do Up B approaches and not do it stationary as much.
I saw you do this once, but while you're falling, you're not charging your punch like you should, you're just falling back to stage. Do while offstage, keep charging your punch while falling, then Up B to the ledge.
Use forward tilt more too...don't wait for a good time to back air because it looks obvious when you're facing the other way in the air. You never used down tilt at all either :(.
Hope this helps my man.

daisho

Smash Lord
Thanks so much for taking the time to critique me.

I would like to approach a lot more with Up B but playing wifi its really hard to do Jump Cancelled up B and that is much better for approaching.

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll try to incorporate them.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
One thing about the Snake matchup. If you're facing a smart Snake, they will refrain from pulling out two grenades for no reason. If your opponent does, they aren't very experienced or smart.

One thing you need to learn how to do is to use Snake's grenades to trap him. So basically, dash toward him and down B. If it hits him, great, get in there and start ****** his landing. If it hits his shield, just stop and walk away a bit to avoid a counter attack. If he pulled out a grenade as you dashed to him, stop immediately after the down B. The grenade will bounce off of you if thrown(if not, he gets hurt), and it will move towards him. He's just trapped himself. move away to avoid the grenade, and dash back as it is exploding, and down B again. Your game should revolve around shutting down his ground game and keeping him on the edge of the stage. If he jumps, **** his landing with a grab or side B.

Also don't use smashes/anything but grab, U tilt or D tilt early on because he can just tilt you out of everything else even if you hit him.

daisho

Smash Lord
You played well in the first match. It mainly worked out but imo you used too many spikes. Bair is really great for gimping lucario.

Walking and F tilt is a great approach for lucario since it goes throw his aura sphere.

You should pummel more.

Fair onstage is almost never worth it. It has a huge hitbox but it has alot of landing lag.

Dsmash ooS is good, but I kind of am trying to stop using it because of its massive ending lag. Up B Down B or Shield grab are better options.

Overall, especially with your B airs you had great spacing.

Eyes

Smash Rookie
Yea regarding the spikes I tend to be pretty aggressive off stage, especially against lucario and falco because their recoveries are easily punished.

And usually whenever I did a fair onstage it was because I messed up my RAR and meant to do a bair haha but sometimes it just worked out

And what is pummeling? sorry I dont know all the DK terminology yet

and thanks for the looks daisho...and if anyone else could give me some more looks it would be a huge help...thanks broskies

Top Bottom