• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@Reigun

You need to work on your shielding habits.

When you shield, why you shield.

You also don't hitbox projectiles for some reason.... ><

tl;dr ****ing jab tjolts while walking you twit.

also learn how to roll from watching kadaj, your rolls were all awkward and iffy.

your jumping leaves you too open.

Actually your match 3 rolling uses were quite good. You need to react to situations better, you -should- know someones going to get hit and land on a platform... why would you stand there and... wait? lol So many times early on in the 3rd match.

Akashi

Smash Lord
I think your 1st match was spot-on, Reigun. You started to choke towards the end, and he clutched better, but overall I like your spacing. This isn't really a critique, but rather a good sh*t lol :D

edit: I agree with Shaya on your rolling though

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Thanks! :D

Yeah, I was noticing that as I've been rewatching them. I think I rolled 3 times in a row at one point >_> I guess I was just nervous because I have no idea why I would do that xD And I didn't even think of jabbing the tjolts >_> Other stuff to keep in mind... Thanks, Shaya!

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
if I'm not wrong, you have to use the PAL configuration so it can be viewed normally, despite the region

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
against tornado, you can use counter, especially for those mks whose don't space it perfectly (like your opponent).
you need to train your reaction, because it's quite slow.
you pressured mk's shield with full DB and got punished every time (you lost a stock this way), don't do that and stop at the second attack and go for a grab, it works great.

I noticed some D air inside the plataform, and I´m thinking it was just missed c-stick commands, if not... then you have to stop doing it now, also practice Fair and dash attack out of GR, something safe like those moves must not be punished

now the hard part, you actually run at mk doing nothing, you lost your first stock running directly to mk charging his Fsmash and I don't think you seeked the perfect shield because that habit can be seen in the whole match, this with a pseudo-spacing because you Fair nothing, away of mk and without intentions to attack like marking a zone intimidating your opponent, then when you see he isn't coming, you run directly to mk to get punished.

also no spacing, little mindgames and less reads, and you move like you want to do some flashy combos or something of the sort.

sorry if I'm too rude but it's what I'm seeing, you need a lot to improve but don't give up, mk isn't that hard to beat, the main goal it's you need to improve your own gameplay so keep up.

M

MysteryTigerTeen

Nah it completely fine, i need that advice. I do good against pocket mks... but when i go against mains like kaffei... i just get fff- up :/

The dair through a platform was a missed platform cancel. I'm very good at doing them... so i find them helpful in matches. It actually helped me in alot of other matches i had that day =)

ps. do you know any mks that would help me learnt his Mu?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
I'm chilean, so I barely know about US players, I can't help you there =/

Reizilla

Tiger, you're trying to do too much against MK. The more you try to do, the more you're going to end up doing wrong and MK punishes you harder for that than anyone. You're running into a lot of stuff because you seem to be committing to what you want to do instead of playing by what your opponent is doing. If your opponent shields DB, stop, or vary the timing or something, to at least mix it up. And full hop aerials got you punished a lot.

M

MysteryTigerTeen

lol i think you're right on the trying to hard. I was trying really hard to remember everything to do, i was nervous and i just got butt ***** for it man XD

But i'll try with the mix ups and such. But either way, he is a good mk imo. So, i gotta alot to do till i get to his level

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Just do what NEO does vs me, tiger
walk around and watch what I do & **** me with dancing blade

idk lol

Just walk around and play super safe.
6:58 remember wat i told u about tornado but do it when im at higher% i was only 0% so i punished u after u landed from up b

clowsui

Smash Legend
Nah it completely fine, i need that advice. I do good against pocket mks... but when i go against mains like kaffei... i just get fff- up :/

The dair through a platform was a missed platform cancel. I'm very good at doing them... so i find them helpful in matches. It actually helped me in alot of other matches i had that day =)

ps. do you know any mks that would help me learnt his Mu?
i will train this MU w/ you on wifi

either that or ask bengals. both of us are really homo vs marth online

Reizilla

Nike, you have like no respect for glide attack and fsmash. You ate so many of those because you wanted to beat it out with something that would really won't work. I'll try going into detail on some stuff later tonight.

And next tourney, we're playing a bunch of Marth vs. MK, no excuses :p

Suspect

Smash Hero
first thing you did wrong was challenge him to a mm

second thing you did wrong was record it

ill critique more later

Reizilla

Nike, game 1, Gnes dash attacks right at you, you... empty platform cancel while he gets some bananas.

Game 2, he dashes at you again, you... empty platform cancel while he gets some bananas :urg:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ripple,

at about the 1 minute mark, you may have been able to survive wtih a jump > db1 > dolphin slash.
At 2.20ish you shouldn't have tried to dtilt to edgeguard falco's side b - jab's a lot easier to hit with and would have let you combo straight into dsmash for the kill.

At 4.10ish you stop a db on his shield then go for a dtilt. You would done better to just dash away and breversed a side b or even a pivot grab.
Your jumping against falco is a little awkward from time to time, need to focus on that a bit.

Second vid

really bad recovering at 1.15. he fthrows you and you double jump shortly after, losing most of it from lasers. REAL BAD.

Also I don't think you're attempting to read falco's landings that much. You could really improve your marth game by reading what he does just as he lands (spot dodge, shield, jab, etc). If he shields you should land into a grab or cross over shield pressure, stuff like that, you'd generally always end up landing the same way (i.e. throwing out an aerial) which he would generally shield. You kinda did better in this regard at around the last minute or so of the second match, but it was somewhat too late at this point, he had taken a pretty decisive lead. Your one chance, which was fthrow to dair at 0% you didn't even go for. Falco has to play pretty ****ing scared at 0% for that, and on smashville marth can really really really cover a lot of ground to get that opportunity.

After fthrow you also go for shdf. Mix that **** up. Arty always did the same thing to avoid it. Free usmashes and pivot grabs n **** galore.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FU8Je5MQ_w

Please critique I need help in this MU Ice Climbers are so frustrating :(

PEACE7 to make this MU easier is to forward air when ice climbers go to you. Up close only use side B. Mainly go for the partner ice climber is nothing without the partner. When ice climbers are camping like **** you go up wards to platforms, drop through with danceing blade or forward air. Thats all!

Reizilla

Nonnonononononono, dancing blade is just asking to get grabbed.

I don't know many specifics of this matchup, just play safer (back side of uair is extremely unsafe, I don't know how thos shieldbreakers didn't get grabbed, etc.).

Mr-R

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FU8Je5MQ_w

Please critique I need help in this MU Ice Climbers are so frustrating :(
Aright here goes! I'll divide my critique in 2 sections '' Why u are getting hit'' and ''general gameplay''

Why u are getting hit
0-17: NEVER fast fall uair unless they are in the air or seperated LOL
0-20: ur doing great here
1-07: again with that uair
1-10: recover lower, but u know that
1-42: bad spacing
2-08: fair from slightly above the blizzard, don't run straight into it !
2-31: LOL that was so risky
2-46: stop doing fast falled bairs/uairs, fair is situational but not recommended

General gameplay
0-15: It's hard but when IC's use blizzard u can outrange if with fair if u go from above.
0-36: Don't be afraid, just go above them and do a retreating fair
1-23: they're in the air now, try juggeling them to keep them in the air ESPECIALLY if he uses his double jump ( which he did )
1-37: ur giving urself unnecessary landing lag
1-46: I know u didnt get hit but jumping like thast is so risky, recover a bit lower next time
1-55: FAIR
2-11: now was ur chance, they were seperated
2-39: why aren't u hitting nana she was alone and right infront of u

And thats bout it, overall it was a nice match other then those uairs/bairs i think u did really well.
if u want better critiques though I suggest uploading stuff where u get ***** .

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Sounds good bro yea i didn't mean to recover like that i ****ed up lol good to know about hitting them from above with retreating fair when doing blizzard i had no idea. I'm going to fix those bairs and upairs they are the main reason I lose in this mu thanks for the critique.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
All right, I'll give it a try...

first of all, never allow DK to charge his giant punch, at the beggining of the first match you didn't even pressured him.

also, he noticed that you attack too close to the ground, at around DK's face, so he countered you with some Ftilts and when you were above, with Uair.

and your biggest problem... your recovery. First match you could have saved 2 stocks if you sideB stalled offstage, something you started to do just on the second match, also you should never roush an UpB, just for mindgames or you'll die like in the video. And when you were punishing his recovery you almost just did counter, something he read on you and punished accordingly. You must change your strategy sometimes so you don't get habits, you could have tried simply a Fair or try to ledgegrab->ledgehop Dair for a spike.

You also looked a lot for the SH DB1 Nair cancel "combo", try to not do it out of something secure or a good read, beacause you'll get punished like many times, if not, then you were luky.

You did some nice followups and good use of DS to get out of a possible punishment.

Second match, on your second stock, again with bad recovery choices, you should have DSed to the edge at first, not jump backwards to give the ledge to your opponent, you could've done a Dair spike there also, but it was too risky anyway.

So finnally at the end, you missed a ledgehop aereal on DK just to jump into a nice Giant punch. That was a big mistake, maybe you misstimed a counter, ok, but marth is about spacing and you did not space that, even if you had done a Fair it wouldn't have been tippered, so train that.

Maybe you can think a little more on your battles, so you can do better decisions.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Alright guys, I now main Marth and used him for the majority of a tournament this weekend. I'm pretty familiar with the character but I don't quite know all the ins and outs of his matchups just yet. If anyone could provide some helpful critique for me on this match it'd be much appreciated. I'm working hard to get good with this character and I want to help you guys continue to rep him. :)

http://youtu.be/ScK2mr6awfU

:phone:

M@v

Subarashii!
Allow the guy that whooped that marth of yours help you :awesome:

I play the matchup all the time with Colaya.

General things:
fthrow->tipper fsmash only works at 0 if I recall right.
Grab release->dash attack actually does more damage than grab release->tipper fair. Use it when going for damage.
You can buffer air release->tipper dair. If you hit mk with this off the side at like 40%, I can't recover in time and die.

1:21 You may recall me even saying "**** shouldn't of did that" out loud. That's because you could of upb'd my face in and killed me. In fact, once I realized you weren't punishing me for nadoing to recover, I abused it. If I try to recover onstage with nado you can upb me for it. Also if I'm on the ledge and try a ledge get up or get up attack over 100%, easy upb(and usually kill) for you.

I wasn't playing spectacular during that match(My DI in a lot of cases was....interesting.), but I when you use dancing blade vs mk, you should only use the regular side one. If you finish with the down version, I can DI out of it early as mk(I didn't in our set; I don't know what the hell I was doing xD).

I'm sure the marth players will point it out, but I abused tornado waaaaaaay more than I should be allowed to in the mu because I realized you weren't punishing them. You can counter nado, upb it, and I believe tipper fsmash it on startup.

I know the MU well from the mk side of things, but I'll let the marth's chime in since they probably have better advice.

TL:DR
-Learn your grab releases, dash attack and tipper fair first. Then dair, etc.
-0%-fthrow->tipper fsmash
-Learn to punish tornado
-try to only use regular version of dancing blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom