• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nike.

Smash Hero
OHHHHHHH!

Kirby, we met at HOBO28, didn't we? I remember losing to Yosh in losers bracket and he told that he played a marth all the time and knew the matchup.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's my fault. I used to main gw and he beat amazing ampharos in tourney as well. But since he can't play other characters I have zero matchup experience...there's a vid on krd's channel of me losing to tesh in pools at whobo too, I'll post it later.

:phone:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's my fault. I used to main gw and he beat amazing ampharos in tourney as well. But since he can't play other characters I have zero matchup experience...there's a vid on krd's channel of me losing to tesh in pools at whobo too, I'll post it later.

Uhhhhh I was in the same pool as Tesh.

WTF, did we play each other?!? x)

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
No yeah we played eachother. I don't remember the games well but I'm sure you ***** me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Dge-5xalg&feature=channel_video_title - 3 games vs Tesh.

EDIT: Found some old tourney footage of me and Yosh in grand finals. I'm so terrible x.x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYyFI9cfEs&feature=channel_video_title - 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znnAOmP_wEs - 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJvQiR_mZKU - 4 (I won the 3rd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DZ-6T3-ME - 5

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we aren't gonna be back in texas till like July for a HOBO. I'll be at akon in June though.

Also nobody's critiquing me x.x

Nike.

Smash Hero
Computer I'm at doesn't allow me to use youtube. I'll try to watch them tonight.

And I'll at the HOBO in June. I'm one of the Circuit TO's so I gotta go lol.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
All I gotta say is

A) Space better
B) Don't stand around so much when Yoshi is in your face.
C) Pay closer attention to your opponent
D) If you grab Yoshi in the middle of his double jump he doesn't get his jump back, which means if you air release all he can do is egg to the ledge [sometimes he'll get lucky and egg onto the stage.] which means edgehog. If he gets on the stage, drop and double jump Nair him, or you could try to pro the UpB and spike him out of it, also tipper Fsmash from the ledge works rarely. Which pretty much means, which he drops from the ledge and tries to Uair you, just shield grab him, and air release.
E) If he's OBVIOUSLY going to double jump onto the stage, you should space a Dtilt so if he airdodges past you, you can Side B behind you, and if he does a move, it'll go through it for a gimo.
But he might also just use his double jump armor to go through the Dtilt and use Nair or B, so don't be too obvious when doing this trick.
F) Seriously, space better. If you're at tipper range consistantly, all Yoshi has that goes through tipper Fair range is pivot grab, which you shouldn't be running into.
G) You don't have to approach yoshi unless he's camping hard, so don't feel afraid to be patient, just keep a CLOSE eye on him, because you let him run in and B you a LOT.

edit: Also, when you go to edgehog Yoshi after air releasing him, DON'T GO FOR THE LEDGE RIGHT AWAY, try to time it so you get the ledge right when he UpBs, so you still have invincibility when he uses his second egg, where you can get up normally and Yoshi still won't catch the ledge.

edit2: Yeah, you also let him airdodge to the ground a LOT. Try to hard read that **** with pro grabs and stuff.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
You can't shield grab him out of the ledge uair unless you're right on the very tip of the ledge, the uair pushes you away and the ledge pushes yoshi away, trust me I've tried...He's the only person I get to play down here in tornadoville, AR. Plus yoshis never let you grab them out of second jump, same way sonic/snake never let you grab them out of their upb.

The dtilt thing is true but whenever I'm going to dtilt he usually goes for the through-the-ledge uair (which also works on FD, which is incredibly dumb), but yeah it's really rewarding if he airdodges through the dtilt (utilt, fsmash, db).

I'll try spacing better and I've always been bad about paying attention to my opponent. As for letting him airdodge to the ground too much, it's difficult. I've strayed away from grabbing since yoshi can punish you hard for whiffing it since marth gets combo'd so easily by him so I always opt for the safer sideb catch which he falls for often. I don't up-b out of shield enough either.

We're doing the whole recording matches thing again tomorrow night, so I'll have more in the upcoming week. And there's a tourney next weekend which I'll hopefully get some vids from.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
A) You can still shield grab him out of it. Lol, and I've gotten plenty of grabs on a Yoshi Double Jump before. I have a damn good Yoshi that I play at pretty much every tourney, and team with usually. I've also gotten grabs on sonic UpB before [I also have a good sonic that I play at tourneys.]

B) Dtilt spaced would go through Uair. lol. [cept maybe on FD.]

C) Just don't wiff the grab. Simple solution. And Marth only gets combo'd hard if he's reading your air movement or you're being to predictable when getting back to the stage.

Player-3

Smash Hero
platform cancel more

cp smashville more

do terrible your first stock and then make a bigass comeback more

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Yeah I suck hard at platform cancelling. And comebacks.

**** y'all I suck
How many times do I have to tell you that you don't suck?

Also vibe, who is this "damn good Yoshi" that you play all the time? Does he post on here at all or do you have any vids vs him? And I don't play Marth (I just play against Marth), so I don't know, but why would you grab an air-dodge into the ground when you can hit with all 4 hits of side-B for more damage? If you do them fast enough, Yoshi can't get out of it unless you smash DI the first hit away, and even then you might just end up in tipper range on the last hit instead of getting out of it.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure that wasn't supposed to seem as rude as it did. The yoshi's Sharky I believe.

EDIT: PS about dtilt spaced properly beating uair, if you're spacing it properly there's no reason for the yoshi to do the uair since you're so far away so it's hardly applicable. Shield grabbing does work when close to the ledge though, but I still suck at getting kills from it.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Did that come across as rude? Apologies, I was just wondering who it was so I could see what he does. A good Yoshi is not a common opponent, so I don't get many tips in match-ups. I know Sharky though, if he's the one then I'll ask him his thoughts on the match-up. Marth is stupidly annoying to fight with Yoshi >.>

Sharky

Smash Master
found you :troll:
All I gotta say is

A) Space better
B) Don't stand around so much when Yoshi is in your face.
C) Pay closer attention to your opponent
D) If you grab Yoshi in the middle of his double jump he doesn't get his jump back, which means if you air release all he can do is egg to the ledge [sometimes he'll get lucky and egg onto the stage.] which means edgehog. If he gets on the stage, drop and double jump Nair him, or you could try to pro the UpB and spike him out of it, also tipper Fsmash from the ledge works rarely. Which pretty much means, which he drops from the ledge and tries to Uair you, just shield grab him, and air release.
E) If he's OBVIOUSLY going to double jump onto the stage, you should space a Dtilt so if he airdodges past you, you can Side B behind you, and if he does a move, it'll go through it for a gimo.
But he might also just use his double jump armor to go through the Dtilt and use Nair or B, so don't be too obvious when doing this trick.
F) Seriously, space better. If you're at tipper range consistantly, all Yoshi has that goes through tipper Fair range is pivot grab, which you shouldn't be running into.
G) You don't have to approach yoshi unless he's camping hard, so don't feel afraid to be patient, just keep a CLOSE eye on him, because you let him run in and B you a LOT.

edit: Also, when you go to edgehog Yoshi after air releasing him, DON'T GO FOR THE LEDGE RIGHT AWAY, try to time it so you get the ledge right when he UpBs, so you still have invincibility when he uses his second egg, where you can get up normally and Yoshi still won't catch the ledge.

edit2: Yeah, you also let him airdodge to the ground a LOT. Try to hard read that **** with pro grabs and stuff.
a: no u

b: I'd agree with this, yoshi beats marth in super close combat, this mu is all about keeping yoshi away without letting him camp you.

c: it's almost like you're critiquing yourself XD lol nah you do a decent job of this...SOMETIMES

d: JUST JUMP OUT AND SPIKE ME, GOSH. and unless I'm being stupid this never happens, but I'm stupid alarmingly often =P

e: making mention to yosh not to be so blatant about this =P

f: OH YEAH YOU'RE ONE TO TALK I GOTCHU BRO PIVOT GRABS ALL DAY. also I mentioned this to yosh, egglay beats fair.

g: *setting up a tent as I'm typing this. :awesome:

and yes he's talking about me.

edit: kirby's right when you back away from the ledge like that I just egg away/do other stuff. though to be fair I egg away no matter what XD

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Can someone give me a full critique on my marth?

I have marth as a secondary character, nevertheless ive recently regained trust in him enough to use him in tournament, and it did go well, So id like some info about what im doing bad or good, thanks guys :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1V8e1YKOw

clowsui

Smash Legend
:04 why are you putting yourself above him, at a range he can't reach and isn't likely to go?
:07 no reason to DB. even if you were trying to dash DB you should hit where he's going to be not where he is
:08 double jump and you throw out a hitbox that doesn't cover where peach is likely to hit (even though she's on the other side of the stage). this happens a few other times too, and part of it might be because you watch too many recent nike vids
:09 again with the double jump, and you face backwards :(...leading to
:10 you're lucky he spotdodged. if he jabbed or floated he coulda pressured you hard, tho i suspect he was baiting an up b
:11 finish your DBs
:16 react. advance your position when you see that he's not moving at that point
:17 why are you jumping OOS in this position? your bair is amazing but it's not that fast + low
then you get ***** for not paying attention for a long *** time
note that at :32 you get punished for your DJ habit hardcore
:38 okay he's above you good
:39 no why did you swing like that, would have been fine if you advanced forward a little more. control issues are running rampant here
then you throw out a bunch of hitboxes but you don't control them correctly so as to actually pressure him (i.e. none of them connect) and you also move around in a static pressure pattern (forward, backward) so he just bairs you for it
:44 meaningless double jump gets you punished
more meaningless hitboxes
:50 shieldbreaker why

hair cut, more later

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
remember last time i critiqued you vs razer in this thread? you did soooo much better this time, the only issue still prevalent from last time is that you keep landing into him rather than resetting. you did really well against a world class player though, i maaaay do a full critique later if i have time. just had to post to let you know your improvement is not going unnoticed o_o

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
I really REALLY like how Nike attends a lot of tournies and gets vids up of himself, hes prolly like the most active US Marth, correct me if im wrong though.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You're probably not. SA goes to tourneys like every weekend >:/

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Nike is also improving really really fast.
COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Nike you have good spacing it's just a bit risky and when snake is in the air you're a bit too hasty and i saw snake get away several times with airdodge and bair, the better option is to jump right on to his face with fullhop and then react to him with any whatever suits best whitch im certain you know + you got a jump left so snake is pretty screwed here so even of he gets away he should not be able to punish you. good marf

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys id like a full critique of this video, i think i did pretty well except on various situations

Marth(Sync) vs ROB(Alex)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27k3nZZPCFE

You might like the commentary if you can understand spanish, it was pretty hillarious to have that guy as a commentator lol, you might find him annoying otherwise

PEACE7

Smash Champion
That commentary is wayy too funny also you ate lots of back airs :( not a bad marth tho you got some cute tippers in

Zync

Smash Journeyman
What should i do more vs rob? I saw a lot of mistakes rewatching my video, also many of them was coz i was either nervous or laughing at the commentary lol

Nike.

Smash Hero
Just to let other's know, Shlike is top10 in Texas right now.

Rei I'll post a big critique soon. I play Paw more than anybody in SA now and I feel like I got the MU almost completely down. Can't wait to play Herby again :) (You did pretty good btw)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Alright, thanks, Nike. I already know a lot of stupid stuff I did, like Fsmashing so much >_< but all critique is welcome :]

Player-3

Smash Hero
i giggled at :16 in game 1 rei

armor pieces bounces too good

you used alot of weird options

but i dont know zss

so idk if ftilt is good

V

Smash Ace
@ nike dolphin slash is risky vs snake considering he has dthrow, b/fthrow to put you off stage, uair for platforms, c4, ftilt, utilt, and even fsmash to punish you with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom