• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What exactly did you want this time Ankoku? You promised tournaments.

TOURNAMENTZ.

Otherwise all my bias can say is moar gigashieldBRAKARRRRRRRRRR

My bias also rings warning bells about (perhaps) your lack of diversity in match up experience. Ive only ever seen vids of you vsing Metaknight, Snake and just that once Olimar.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Too many times you let your body in front of your sword. Your sword placement isn't the best and you are leaning too far in. There are times you are letting tink outspace you.

Your approach through his projectiles is bad. Short hop air dodge? Really? And just jumping over his projectiles in general... the tink should have punished this way more than he did. Also there were random times you'd try to predict a projectile and you'd air dodge backwards giving tink more space to throw **** at you.

The tink also let your double aerials work too much. It isn't very reliable and people should be able to beat that pretty bad at this point in the metagame.

Ledge trap spacing definitely needs work.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Too many times you let your body in front of your sword. Your sword placement isn't the best and you are leaning too far in. There are times you are letting tink outspace you.

Your approach through his projectiles is bad. Short hop air dodge? Really? And just jumping over his projectiles in general... the tink should have punished this way more than he did. Also there were random times you'd try to predict a projectile and you'd air dodge backwards giving tink more space to throw **** at you.

The tink also let your double aerials work too much. It isn't very reliable and people should be able to beat that pretty bad at this point in the metagame.

Ledge trap spacing definitely needs work.
Ok, thank you.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, tournament on January 11. I don't know how much I'll be using Marth, though. You all should know I pick my character based on what matchup I want.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ankoku you play Marth and take advantage of all those **** match-ups we win!

Na jk, but still I'd like to see your Marth. God I need a tournament like hell, no one in Queens to Brawl =/

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I say we all invade or Canada and make a state called Brawlifornia or something. That way we have a place for all the decent brawlers to live and hold tournies. Oh, and of course we would need to make Meleesippi to go with it.

Fitty

Smash Cadet
Ankoku take advantage of the stages all the time smart but vio

clowsui

Smash Legend
Be prepared to lose if you come to the tourney with that terrible Marth

J/k, it's not that bad

You obviously know what you're doing...I mean I'd say something but that's Shaya/Steel's job

Also can you bring that recording setup to the tourney?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Hello Marth boards, here are some videos of me playing friendlies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIWUqZX-yc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuzdOQvcnc

Quality isn't the best, but any critique greatly appreciated:)
Im critiquing the one on Battlefield, the second vid...

You do a good job poking away at the opponent, and the Snake seems to have trouble getting inside you when your in his face (most of the time), which is usually a good sign. On the other hand, you have a few possible bad habits, I didn't watch the other video, so Im going with this one alone. I will note some of the larger mistakes you made here. Its very difficult separating bad habits from mistakes in one video, but focus on the following points.

In general, you spent too much time on top of platforms, Marth shouldn't be up there for so long. Marth has literally no moves that can hit anyone below him when he is on top of a platform, mixed with his light weight...not good. Also, there was a point in the match where you did a sh uair, completely unnecessary and ate a utilt. The small things like this are what usually decide games. There were many times where you could of punished with a usmash or dsmash but relied on a dancing blade that was already stale.

1:22- You were standing on the platform and decided to fsmash, although you may of thought the opportunity was there, you should now know to play safe and just drop below the platform and uair or utilt. You did it again at 1:50.

1:42- If you stayed at the edge, the c4 you may of been fearing wouldn't be able to hit you. The roll you did was completely unnecessary and should of been punished. Some Snakes may even of Fsmashed you here. You then proceeded to do a dancing blade which completely whiffed when you should of reverse up b'd.

3:15- The Snake starts snakedashing and you proceed to sh fair. The snakedash has low priority and a jab will beat it out, its much easier to perform and just as potent.

Toward the end you were on the platforms for too long again and really got lucky that c4 didn't ko you. Facing Snake on Battlefield is nice, however I didn't see many moves that start a juggle trap, you never used dancing blades up variation which is great against Snake. Less sh uair, more db up variation and uthrow.

On the bright side, you used dtilt well and were able to bair air dodges successfully. Keep it up.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hello Marth boards, here are some videos of me playing friendlies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIWUqZX-yc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuzdOQvcnc

Quality isn't the best, but any critique greatly appreciated:)
You did good vs Snake in these videos. I just think you should learn to spike snake (if you dont already) and hit him whenever opportunity knocks. Also, try not to jump at snake so much bcause you got hit by snakes jab and tilt that way often. A nice mixup whenever you block a ftilt is to use shieldbreaker because the lean back animation often keeps you from getting hit (worst case scenario is you and your opponent trade hits.)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I wanna get grilled so I can improve my marth (tournament soon, everyones telling me my Marth is twice as good as before but thats still not great, I need a good secondary for G&W and Falco), so I'm gonna post two videos I had before of my Marth not doing very well so I can get corrected.

1 is me getting owned by Ambrose on wifi and the other is me vs. my friend in my basement Marth dittos. I'll have a few better videos soon but I had these because 1 was requested and the other was too scary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lc3wnEc3Y&fmt=6

Thats the ditto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjAmlLGYCo&fmt=6

Theres me getting owned by Ambrose wifi.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
how rough do you want me to be?

Here's the scale:

Very rough, no condom and AIDS given

Mid

Very safe and smooth and relaxing

illinialex24

Smash Hero
how rough do you want me to be?

Here's the scale:

Very rough, no condom and AIDS given

Mid

Very safe and smooth and relaxing
Aids please. I need tournament help and I posted these because I got rocked in these matches. The marth ditto I got rocked mainly because I didn't know how to play one really, but be harsh.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'll look at the non wifi one

You start off the match by putting yourself into a stupid and unnecessary position high in the air and against the corner of the stage. Why? You let your opponent easily approach you and shield grab you and combo it to fsmash (which you can DS out of btw).

At :08 you refuse to jump or air dodge to get yourself back on your feet and it results in a bad landing and your opponent takes advantage hitting you with DB. You try to retaliate and get spiked when you should have just grabbed the ledge.

At :17 you hit his shield with a retreating fair then you jump back again and do a double fair, why? You have invincibility frames and your opponent is taking a defensive position.. he's just standing there letting you hit him or grab him. You don't take advantage of this opportunity.

At :21 you don't stutter step your fsmash and get punished.

:26, you get up from the ledge by simply ledge hopping, you don't put your sword out in front of you to protect you or anything and get fsmashed. You then do a stupidly risky up b that should have gotten you ***** but he wasn't able to do anything about it.

You get back up and your opponent does a bad job of attempting to hit you even though he had plenty of opportunities because you keep putting yourself in stupid positions. You punish his fsmash with a grab but fall for his counter.

Once again, you just let your body plop onto the floor and then roll into his charging shield breaker, was that not easy to see?

At :40 you tried to retaliate again, your opponent misses his opportunity and you don't get gimped.

:46, you run into something stupid. gonna stop here...

----

WTF was that.

Ill just say it now, you're going to get ***** at the tourney. You don't seem to understand high level smash play, and if you do you can't emulate it in your play.

You don't seem to be doing much thinking, just attacking really.. and it doesn't look smooth at all, it's hard to watch.

You are very easy to read. You fall for stupid ****. You put yourself into stupid positions. You fail to take advantage of certain things. You don't put your sword where it needs to be. Your recovering habits would let a good player gimp you every time.

Watch vids of good Marth's. Take the tourney as a huge learning experience.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Guess why Marth isn't my main. I'm only using him for G&W and this was a bad match. And the first :46 was the worst part of the match. I hadn't done a Marth ditto since the last one I posted, so I am getting two stocked owned at the point but I pretty much come back. it was dumb but thats why I said it was a **** match.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I could pick up Luigi who I have never played before in my life for one match and not do: "You are very easy to read. You fall for stupid ****. You put yourself into stupid positions. You fail to take advantage of certain things. You don't put your sword where it needs to be. Your recovering habits would let a good player gimp you every time. "

Whether or not Marth is your main doesn't make a difference. Your opponent was bad too. And I watched the first stock vs IC.. he grabbed you so many times but failed to kill you with ease, guess cus it was wifi.

∫unk

Smash Master
In all seriousness illin... there's an *arguably* better jiggs in cali now (DanteFox... doesn't even play Brawl really lol) and he beat Gishnak (one of the best gw's in cali).

Gishnak didn't really have experience but it's possible. Shield conservation, aggressive off the stage, and lots of crossovers.

But all Jiggs moves look the same to me so what do I know.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I could pick up Luigi who I have never played before in my life for one match and not do: "You are very easy to read. You fall for stupid ****. You put yourself into stupid positions. You fail to take advantage of certain things. You don't put your sword where it needs to be. Your recovering habits would let a good player gimp you every time. "

Whether or not Marth is your main doesn't make a difference. Your opponent was bad too. And I watched the first stock vs IC.. he grabbed you so many times but failed to kill you with ease, guess cus it was wifi.
Luigi has a sword..... What am I missing here...... But yeah, I hadn't played the matchup and so I did terrible early on.

In all seriousness illin... there's an *arguably* better jiggs in cali now (DanteFox... doesn't even play Brawl really lol) and he beat Gishnak (one of the best gw's in cali).

Gishnak didn't really have experience but it's possible. Shield conservation, aggressive off the stage, and lots of crossovers.

But all Jiggs moves look the same to me so what do I know.
And matchup experience is big. G&W should **** a Jigglypuff if he knows the matchup by using nair well and using much less bair unless Jigglypuff is already in the air.

∫unk

Smash Master
how many gw's do you plan to play in tournament that have jiggs experience :/

thats kinda the allure of playing a low-mid tier

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Don't john at me, you told me to be honest to help you. I said all that was necessary. Match up experience or not,

you

did

stupid

and

it

was

bad

illinialex24

Smash Hero
how many gw's do you plan to play in tournament that have jiggs experience :/

thats kinda the allure of playing a low-mid tier
Yeah your right... And junk, did you see the video I posted on your page on how to hack your Wii. Its a good tutorial.

Don't john at me, you told me to be honest to help you. I said all that was necessary. Match up experience or not,

you

did

stupid

and

it

was

bad
I know, I'm just defending my position so that way I can get more advice, not just some stupid blanket statement.....

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I wanna get grilled so I can improve my marth (tournament soon, everyones telling me my Marth is twice as good as before but thats still not great, I need a good secondary for G&W and Falco), so I'm gonna post two videos I had before of my Marth not doing very well so I can get corrected.

1 is me getting owned by Ambrose on wifi and the other is me vs. my friend in my basement Marth dittos. I'll have a few better videos soon but I had these because 1 was requested and the other was too scary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lc3wnEc3Y&fmt=6

Thats the ditto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjAmlLGYCo&fmt=6

Theres me getting owned by Ambrose wifi.
first vid: your roll reflex needs to be dealt with

didnt watch second

Levitas

the moon

∫unk

Smash Master
I'm really bad at critiques but everyone in those videos in the two posts above are playing at normal tourney scrub level.

Needs way better DI, move choice, spacing, and mindgames. Eventually you should think about stuff like move staling, stage control, limiting your opponents options, capitalizing on frame advantage and crossovers. It's all kind of on a subconscious level though (from experience).

Right now all of you guys are just kinda throwing out attacks without really thinking about you or your opponents position or his actions. On some level you are like "okay he attacked my shield I'm in standing grab range I'm going to grab him" but it needs to be more like "okay when I d-tilt he always airdodges so even though the DB follow up is working it's stale now so i'll do a running u-smash as punishment" or "after a sh f-air he has a little lag and always comes back to the ground after so I can punish that".

Mostly it's based on experience playing a bunch of really good people with different playstyles but right now both of you guys can work on basic spacing (don't go completely forward with aerials until you know what you're doing), predictability/mindgames (just do other good moves instead of your normal ones it just might work), DI (LOOK AT THIS LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo&feature=related), and move choice (especially with db cause it stales really fast).

Stoten

Smash Rookie

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I watched the first link against ROB. Stolen I'm gonna tell it to ya like it is:

-Waaaaay too much fsmash
-Don't dash attack, ever, it's awful
-Poor use of DB
-Too much dodging, not enough shielding
-Bad Spacing
-Unsafe Edge Guarding
-Bad Ledge Guarding
-His projectile use was telegraphed but you still kept getting hit
-Bad grab follow-ups

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it seems like you really need to get some of the basics down. Check out the stickies and read around, it'll help a ton. Ask questions in the Q&A topic if you need anything. GL with your Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom