• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm aware that Ankoku already posted these, but I think they were pretty much overlooked (although, yes, scotu does ftilt vs me and hadn't against ankoku). If you want to be hard on me for posting these again, at least watch the vids and be harsh with your advice instead of telling me unhelpful things like "don't post vids again" or, like last time, NOTHING.

levitas (Marth) vs SCOTU (Meta Knight)
levitas (Marth) vs Ankoku (Sheik)
levitas (Marth) vs SCOTU (Fox)

Thanks.
quoting this to remind myself to do it

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Umm i know Steel has your Levitas, but i watched one (Your vs SCOTU's MK) and i like to comment on somethings. You jumped into the **** a lot, throwing your sword out and approaching way too often. You also rolled way too much, Marth's roll is crappy. Your ledge traps were decent, but you missed lot of UpB OoS chances. OK, let Steel tear them apart now.

Fixed.

Stoten

Smash Rookie
I watched the first link against ROB. Stolen I'm gonna tell it to ya like it is:

-Waaaaay too much fsmash
-Don't dash attack, ever, it's awful
-Poor use of DB
-Too much dodging, not enough shielding
-Bad Spacing
-Unsafe Edge Guarding
-Bad Ledge Guarding
-His projectile use was telegraphed but you still kept getting hit
-Bad grab follow-ups

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it seems like you really need to get some of the basics down. Check out the stickies and read around, it'll help a ton. Ask questions in the Q&A topic if you need anything. GL with your Marth.
constructive criticism is always nice :-) thanks for the reply

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Levitas vs MK:

The match starts and you don't move, you auto lose stage control as MK quickly gains ground. You had a chance to hit him back out but you just went for the single DB and failed to follow it up. Then you try more DB1 spacing shenanigans and you just get ***** for it. What are you doing? You aren't using your sword right you're just making yourself lag and letting yourself get hit.

At :12, SCOTU was ready for you to hop back on, you should have taken the safer route and just grabbed the ledge. You get fair'd a second time and land on the platform. You approach MK with a dash to shield and then flail your sword out there with an fsmash, your body is now left completely open and you get hit.

:21, you approach with a double fair wall. i knew the second i saw you do the second fair you were going to get ***** for it... double aerials do not work well in this stage in the metagame. he rolls and you get dsmashed.

:28, you do a risky counter and he baits it well, he is late on the punishing so he spaces a dtilt on your shield. You may have been able to JCfair after the first dtilt or shield drop dancing blade after the second, but w/e. you do another dancing blade 1 for whatever reason and he pokes at your feet with a dtilt. His fair follow up misses and you hit with a dsmash.

Skipping to :45 now. You have him up against the ledge and you do a bunch of double aerials which don't do anything but allow him to get out of that bad spot. he probably could have punished a bit better than a jab so you got a bit lucky there.

1:10, fsmash? don't pick up ankokus habits, they only work for him. Few seconds after this you fall for a bunch of cross up shenanigans. you were pretty defensive here even though you kept chasing him around, there was no use of your blade

1:23, scotu does a bad job of 1, attempting to gimp you and 2, punishing your counter. he follows this up by poorly spacing an aerial and you take advantage

Just going to watch the rest of this and give you some final thoughts...

k

You put your body into very unsafe positions. Watch these vids and just look at how many times you left yourself wide open. Often your body was in a place where your sword should have been. keep yourself safe and let your disjointed hitbox do the work. also learn to smash DI mk's drill. anything else you want me to touch on?

Levitas

the moon
You put your body into very unsafe positions. Watch these vids and just look at how many times you left yourself wide open. Often your body was in a place where your sword should have been. keep yourself safe and let your disjointed hitbox do the work. also learn to smash DI mk's drill. anything else you want me to touch on?
Thanks for the advice. I think you hit most of what I wanted to hear.

And don't mistake Ankoku's habits for mine. He picked up that marth fsmash thing from my melee marth, though he's been doing it in brawl for longer. I'm gonna choose to drop it almost entirely pretty soon.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I stopped watching it when all the Marth did was fsmash. <_<

Makes me feel sad but then again GnW shouldn't camped instead of fairing everything.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Steel I fail at every game and thing I touch so this isn't a fair comparison.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend who plays as Marth and wants some feedback on his play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48lOWrI3VE
I only watched this video, but based on it and my experience of using Marth as a main and lurking the Marth boards, these are some comments I can make:
1. First off, your friend, "Moose", spotdodges and rolls way too much. These mistakes weren't punished often in the video, but they were mistakes, nonetheless.
2. Another major flaw in Moose's game is the lack of the shorthop. Seriously, shorthopping is a major part in Marth's spacing and approaching game. Fullhops are good to throw in as a mix-up, but using them exclusively is a major mistake.
3. Marth's F-smash shouldn't be spammed, since it is very punishable. Many instances when Moose F-smashed he should have used less punishable moves, such as any of his tilts and dancing blade. Speaking of which, dancing blade and his tilts should have been used much more, as they are integral parts of Marth's punishing, spacing, and approaching game, as far as I know.
4. Nice spike to end Mario's second stock.

That's all I have for now, but I may make additional notes once I finish all of the videos.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Can I have the analysis you gave other people, such as individual mistakes? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ibbOrCDEw
The Falco that you played seemed to not know Falco too well, with the lack of Gatling Combo, SHL/SHDL, and IAP, and the overuse of Fsmash. Your Marth, however, was good, and you spaced well with tilts and aerials. You also efficiently punished with DB, however, on one occasion, you DB'd his shield. Once you notice this, you should stop with the 3rd down (green) hit, since Marth pulls back after that hit, reducing the chances of being punished. One flaw in your Marth is that you failed to punish the Falco's very predictable recovery pattern. Every single time the Falco phantasmed on stage, which was a large mistake on his part, but you failed to capitalize on this. Also, the Falco rolled excessively, and, sometimes, you didn't punish this.
Edit: Also, Dolphin Slash more out of shield, and to get out of multi-hits (jab). You could've fallen back to this move to knock Falco back out after his phantasm on-stage, since it has high priority, knockback, and invincibility frames, if you weren't sure how to effectively punish it.

Just my 2c, hope it helps.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Well, like Levitas' videos, mine got pretty much ignored the first time.
Can I have the analysis you gave other people, such as individual mistakes? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ibbOrCDEw
Ill get your Dxt, one sec

:07 - You do a double Fair, which luckily hits, yet leaves you open, so you... do a DB in the wrong directin? You get grabbed.
:12 - Already found a habit, your double Fairs will leave you open each time, you get jabbed.
:35 - Nice kill, your doing pretty good at this point, baited his illusion.
:40 - Eh your bad habit literally get oyu kicked in he ***.
:48 - he rolls behind you and you don't DB. Use your DB to punish rollers.
:53 - You do a random DB while he's in the air, and he takes a stock.
1:07 - Whiffed Fsmash, you get punished.
2:07 - You whiff another Fsmash, he rols and then you Dsmash! and you lose a stock...
2:43 - What? Instead of ledge trapping, you jump back and give him space to recover and whiff an Fair?

Ok your obviously better then your opponent, nd it is friendlies. However, your double Fair habit will get you *****. You also need to space and think better, your just throwing out attacks. And, review your punishment skills, because you do the wrong move when there's bette options. Otherwise, solid Marth.

legion598

Smash Ace
do more SH Fairs
do alot more dancing blade (use it to shut down punishments)
only use Dtilt when it will hit them
less Fsmash
dont use Dair on stage and off stage its better to edge guard or gimp
speed hugs are cool
and finally work on sweet spotting the ledge with dolphin slash

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
do more SH Fairs
do alot more dancing blade (use it to shut down punishments)
only use Dtilt when it will hit them
less Fsmash
dont use Dair on stage and off stage its better to edge guard or gimp
speed hugs are cool
and finally work on sweet spotting the ledge with dolphin slash
This is totally inappropriate, but it's been bugging me.

You do know that's Ephraim in your sig, not Marth, rite?

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Legion:
1. More SH Fairs
2. A LOT more DB to punish. On many occasions when you used Fsmash, DB would've been better.
3. More ftilt and utilt. Both of these tilts are excellent, and should also have replaced the many times you used Fsmash and Dsmash. Utilt comes out on the same frame as Dsmash but is far less punishable and puts your opponent in a good position for juggling. Ftilt is an excellent spacing tool that comes out faster than Fsmash and has comparable range.
4. Work on your edgeguarding. Edgeguard more with Fair strings -> Nair, instead of waiting on stage and Fsmashing.
5. Dair only off stage, the landing lag is horrible.
6. Dolphin Slash to the ledge, and make sure that the next time you land use an aerial (preferably fair, nair, or uair) to replace the horrendous "FallSpecial" landing lag with an aerial's.
Overall, your Marth is good, but could use some improvement, just like most of us.

Hope that helped.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
hey steel2nd or any one can u help me make my Marth better?

im showing the vid where i almost lose so you guys can critique me better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HphV4ZYrRiU

thx in adv.
Ill get this one.

:05 - Bad spacing, you should've been punished for that Fair.
:11 - Whiffed a Usmash, you could've DB'ed, you read him wrong and got punished.
:13 - You roll, and give him more stage control, not good.
:39 - Was that a grab after he hit your shield from behind you? 0.o You should have punished with DB yet again, instead you get punished.
1:06 - You do an UpB OoS, just at the wrong time and badly spaced. He takes a stock.
1:16 - You DB1 and he sidesteps, then you sidestep? You should've DB'ed here instead. You get grabbed.
1:21 thru 1:24 - You run to the other end of the stage? STAGE CONTROL!!!!
1:36 - Your behind him, you have the advantage, so you... roll? Marth's roll is crappy, and he's attacking i nthat direction, not smart.
1:50 - Bad ledge spacing and trap, he puts you on the ledge, one of Marth's weakest positions.
1:51 - He predicts your ledge option, and resets the situation. I seen it coming as well, mix up how you recover.
2:42 - I see you have a habit to do the last hit of your DB in the Up variation and Usmash, luckily he didn't predict it. Kirby is a floaty, and has multiple jumps, you could be punish bad for this. MIX IT UP!
3:01 - Instead of pressuring off-stage with a Bair, you try for a spike. You miss, get put in a bad position, and suicide.
3:09 - Whiff a Dsmash, get punished. Your predictable at this point, luckily its late in the game.

Your Martha is pretty good, until you break into your patterns. I predicted a lot of what you did, ledge options, punishments, when your gonna do what and when. THIS IS BAD! You need to work on your spacing and mix it up. Review the video and count how many times you did the same thing, or see if you can predict what your going to do.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
0:08 - Sandbagging; it's not manly unless you're Captain Falcon. Or are secretly charging a shieldbreaker in the name of SHAYA.

0:35 - It's a mistake I'm starting to make while I try to bring more counter into my game. Never use it while falling down against a grounded opponent. IMO Counter's best uses are air vs air... If he were to have jumped in after you then it would be a different story.

1:09 - I love it, a dsmash... but try not to use it to fight rolling...

1:21 - Ftilt... interesting choice ;) refer above.

3:20 - I do appreciate a good fthrow to fair from time to time, but at this point you've done it and whiffed 3? or so times in this match; the reading of your opponent has shown he retreats/air dodges instead of counter aggression, so you were better off release grabbing or dashing in with a shield to grab him again/punish. You've also been doing a lot of fthrow to dancing blade, always having him air dodge at least one strike, he's been reasonably transparent and you didn't take charge of it (at this stage).

4:05 - Something good could have happened here... It's dsmash danger zone for MK, just a friendly reminder. I think it would have been hotter to ff to an uair though.

Over all this first match had you in control, the last stock was going well and you started to take risks because of it to try and finish him off. When the risks didn't pay off and suddenly you were in danger of losing you kept going for the risks.

5:45 - Just a recap of that first stock, pretty good pressure, but horrid DI. *sigh* You went in front of him and "landed into his ****" when coming from the sky; that sexy cool ledge was waiting for you, it wanted you to grab it and hold it tightly!

6:14 - BAD. BAD. You got grab released and you instantly went for a DS. You either wait for him to jump or you go for the sweet spot. No exceptions.

6:18 - Landing into his ****. I always find a new phrase to coin "into -their- ****" in almost every match I critique of you. IM A STALKER. ROAR. But ughh. Momentum stalling (DB, SB) or just not moving as far forward as you did...

7:00 - Refer to 3:20.

From this point onwards, you were doing many many things wrong, you were pressured deeply and I could see you giving up.

HOWEVER, 7:44 - SEXY.

Out of practice johns and dropping soap so often you didnt notice the 'simple' things in his play style to exploit. Really, that always retreating air dodge out of a fthrow is a situation you came into enough to do something. If I were to say what moves you spam the most early to see their "style" it would be dtilt, first strike db, fthrow, jab [for aerial approaches], and I suppose even fairs.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Critique me :)

*Powershield to Tippered D-smash on MK*
You're ****ing awesome. The pressure you laid on those dtilting metaknights practically puts the match up in Marth's favour, at least 70:30 imo. Seriously with that cging, the tipper fairs and that sexy uair for aggression, and tipper dsmashes that kill at like 90% and sex on wheels like dancing blades and dolphin slashes for defense you proved Marth is actually SSS tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom