• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Lol I think I had this conversation with Metroid too. He loves Strawberry Crush as well; he just likes Orange more.

Also... WTF, GTFO you haters.

S-bizzle Crizzle is the ****!!!! ....zle

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
you think you can get more casual brawlers from chicago than ****ing u of i?
you think you have a lack of cars in chicago? we have 0...
you think chicago will bring a larger turnout overall? smym had 132 entrants last year. big chicago tournaments have 40-70
you think strawberry crush is the worst flavor? grape sucks

you mo fo's is trippin

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
I'm definitely going to the MLG qualifiers in OH!
they won't really be qualifiers, it will be an actual tournament. The qualifiers will be online, probably run through GameBattles (as pre-seeding for the tournament)

I'd imagine MLG will do one of two things:
#1: pools (top X advance) into an elimination bracket until top 32 players are left (probably 16 in winner's bracket getting re-seeded as top 16, 16 in loser's bracket re-seeded as 17-32)

#2: a giant bracket (seeded by online qualifier) until top 32 (16 in winner's bracket= top 16 seeds again, same for loser's bracket players being 17-32)

what it (likely) means: the top 16 players (in live event points) will be seeded 1-16 for the second event, and after the second event they will be seeded to play the 16 players who play out of the open entry bracket.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I want to go. I won't be able to drive though; we'd have to take someone else's car.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
compelled to finish this post (any Q&A later)

There's technically an event in Chicago (set for the 14-16 of May), but it's not set to be a typical event (smaller scale, more focus on "amateur" level play) . No details have really surfaced about it yet, but it could potentially have smash (always nice to hope?)

Which means characters who suck online won't have a chance.

Poor ZSS and Peach :(
That would not be as large of a problem as you might think.

Let's refer to the 2008 Halo 3 Opener (seeds earned through online competition, prior to the event) I must note that this was the first major Halo 3 LAN tournament, where as the majority of Brawl entrants will have prior tournament experience in their own game. (I believe it is still worth referencing, so have a look :))

The ordered listing would be original seed for these teams, following the online qualifier (estimated past #65, at the gap).
The listed number in:
()'s = top 32 seed (re-seeded at this point); these should all be bolded
[]'s = final placing
-DNP- = didn't place in top 32
Code:
[B]1. Str8 Rippin (1)[5][/B]
[B]2. Instinct (2)[3][/B]
[B]3. Triggers Down (3)[4][/B]
[B]4. Team Classic (4)[2][/B]
[B]5. Legendz (17)[23][/B]
[B]6. The Influence (5)[11][/B]
7. End Result -DNP-
[B]8. Final Boss (6)[1][/B]
9. Crossfire -DNP-
[B]10. Fatal Images (7)[8][/B]
11. Get Scarred -DNP-
12. DGK -DNP-
[B]13. 3rd Degree (8)[31][/B]
[B]14. Phobia (18)[16][/B]
[B]15. Type Z (19)[24][/B]
16. Rise Against -DNP-
17. OMNI -DNP-
[B]18. Carbon (9)[6][/B]
[B]19. Inferno (10)[12][/B]
[B]20. Believe The Hype (20)[9][/B]
21. Above The Clouds -DNP-
[B]22. Are you Ready (11)[29][/B]
[B]23. Coconut Rebels (21)[20][/B]
[B]24. XiT Woundz (12)[14][/B]
25. Quit Or Pwned -DNP-
26. Hurricane -DNP-
[B]27. Ambush (13)[7][/B]
28. Nice Like Rice -DNP-
29. Vengeance -DNP-
30. MiB -DNP-
31. Ultimate -DNP-
32. Encore -DNP-
33. Paramount -DNP-
34. KDSTM -DNP-
[B]35. MoB Deep (22)[15][/B]
[B]36. The Lifted (23)[17][/B]
[B]37. Ununtrium (14)[25][/B]
38. Victorious Secret -DNP-
39. Get Jumped -DNP-
40. Olmec's Posse -DNP-
[B]41. Rainbow Riders (24)[10][/B]
42. Enter Logic -DNP-
43. ??? (nameless) -DNP-
[B]44. FBI Jackalopes (25)[19][/B]
[B]45. The Dynasty (15)[13][/B]
46. Simplicity -DNP-
47. TsK -DNP-
48. Negative 9 -DNP-
49. The Bachelors -DNP-
[B]50. Mind Over Matter!!! (26)[28][/B]
51. I'm Charging You OGRE -DNP-
52. Built To Spill -DNP-
[B]53. Zone 6 (27)[21][/B]
[B]54. Virtuosity (29)[27][/B]
55. XcelerateD -DNP-
56. Get Focused -DNP-
57. Vanquish -DNP-
58. SFX -DNP-
59. Team Devastation -DNP-
[B]60. Status Quo (30)[18][/B]
61. Freakn Authentik -DNP-
62. Makeshift -DNP-
63. Direct Fokuz -DNP-
64. Set On Fire -DNP-
[B]65. The Abusement Park (31)[32][/B]

[B]??. Point of Vanity (16)[26][/B]
[B]??. Calm Mentality (28)[30][/B]
[B]??. Fear The Four (32)[22][/B]
There were many (150+), unlisted teams for this tournament. (removed to save space)
Interested in how the seeding played out? Look here: (2008 Circuit Opener for Halo 3)
Code:
Round by round analysis (in terms of upsets):

#/# reflects the match results that were considered upsets (numerically)
For Winner's Bracket (WB), I counted any seeds that progressed further than they would be expected to (without upsets) as an "upset".
(I do realize that two neighboring upsets would set up a guaranteed "upset" under this distinction, but I'm doing so for simplicity's sake)
For Loser's Bracket (LB), I counted them by first comparing shorter time in LB, then by actual seed. This fixes problems (in the earlier judgment) created by upsets in WB.

WB R1: [B]6[/B]/16
WB R2: [B]1[/B]/8
WB R3: [B]2[/B]/4 
WB SF,WF: [B]0[/B]/2, [B]1[/B]/1 
--------------------------------
LB R1: [B]4[/B]/8
LB R2: [B]4[/B]/8
LB R3: [B]3[/B]/4
LB R4: [B]1[/B]/4
LB R5, R6: [B]0[/B]/2, [B]1[/B]/2
LB SF,LF,GF: [B]0[/B]/1, [B]1[/B]/1, [B]1[/B]/1 (6th seed wins)

*it should be noted that almost all teams failed to record multiple, consecutive upsets in winner's bracket (1 "exception" in WB semis); and it shows that, by the time of top 32, the seeds become relatively accurate...

What I'm trying to point out:
Good (offline) players will be able to overcome their diminished online ability by playing well at the event (where it matters). This means if you were a high level smasher (offline) and had a horrible seeding from the online qualifier (or chose not to participate, thus being unseeded), you would still be able to play into a seed that more accurately reflected your skill level by performing well at the actual tournament (by defeating weaker, seeded players). In the above example, the top 16 seeds for the championship bracket (top 32) varied from their starting positions from original #1 to unseeded. I would expect the number of unseeded players (for Brawl) to be larger than the amount (3/32; less than 10% of teams) who did not participate in the (Halo 3) online tournament , as a result of previous offline tournament experience with Brawl. There was some inflation in entrants due to how much of an advantage you could potentially gain by placing in the online tournament & it was a spectacular way to work on teamwork/communication beforehand (historically, they have been a LARGE factor in LAN tournaments) and gain overall game experience.

Also, it should be noted that in a large-scale tournament, it becomes very difficult to advance on seeding alone. This diminishes the possibility of a player advancing to top 32 from their wi-fi play. By round "X", you will have to be able to defeat an opponent who has gone through an equally large portion of the bracket, until top 32. (meaning top 16 seeds, for top 32 bracket play, are expected to be able to beat ~1/16th of the entrants; 17-32nd seeds are expected to be able to defeat ~1/16th of the field, excluding the top 16)

Zozefup

Smash Lord
They don't offer high speed internet where I live :(

maybe I can qualify on my dial up?

TheStig

Smash Lord
*Note*: The online qualifier will improve your seed for the live Orlando event but is not a mandatory event in and of itself. You can enter the Live event in Orlando without ever having played in the online qualifier.
Moar info on the qualifiers

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
are they doing Brawl in Orlando? I must have misread the original announcement lol (equating online qualifier for Cbus = they were starting it then)

...looks like it, and then established top 16 after Columbus. Also, for those who were not aware, 1 seeding point from a live event is (placing top 48, usually) >>>>> Infinite online seeding points

_Kain_

Smash Champion
LOL wifi...and Oranos knows whats up =O im coming to u for the rundown on everything from now on

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Did you forget that we have ook in our state Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-zwarm? That makes us auto-awesome. But then we have Soth, which makes us auto-losers. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
My state has Judge in it...:( lol nah jk he's cool.

MI had like an outbreak of Snakes recently (I was one of them) so now I'm a Falco :D

Seriously though you guys have a weird/diverse PR. I should come out to a tourney. Devildigimon was trying to get me to come out there a while ago anyway.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
My state has Judge in it...:( lol nah jk he's cool.

MI had like an outbreak of Snakes recently (I was one of them) so now I'm a Falco :D

Seriously though you guys have a weird/diverse PR. I should come out to a tourney. Devildigimon was trying to get me to come out there a while ago anyway.
Lol don't worry Judge comes to ours to so we deal with him too XD. IL just doesn't have MK's but visiting states do (MI, WI)

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Come down man! IL needs more Falcos!!
Midwest needs more Falcos lol But I do plan on taking a trip down there. Thing is I'm also considering moving to Chi-town hence the other reason I wanna check out ILs scene. Plus experience is cool, yo.

And **** you're IL's #1? Power to the bird, yo we gotta play each other XD

Top Bottom