• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Sinn

Smash Lord
Someone on Nsider just showed this to me a few minutes ago and it's downright hilarious. I especially love the segment with Geno arguing with Pit.

Be sure to click on smash crate at the end to hear Geno explain to Sakurai why he should be in Brawl. It's definately worth the price of admission.
Dear God, that was one of the greatest things I've seen in my ever.

I'ma say that from now on. "Hi, my name is Geno, and I'm awesome." I think this is going to be my source for Geno taunt quotes <3

Super Mario Whirled

Smash Journeyman
*randomly floats into thread*

My song choices for this game were made very carefully after surveying song popularity, using opinions submitted to the Smash Bros. web site and listening to the songs themselves.
If he does it for songs, why not Geno?

*floats away*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*randomly floats into thread*

If he does it for songs, why not Geno?

*floats away*
That statement definately provides more evidence that his journal is indeed a reflection of what he and his staff are interested in. Keep in mind that the offical Brawl poll had three options: suggesting a character, suggesting music, or just leaving a comment of encouragment to the staff. "Beware the Poison Mushrooms" AKA "Forest Maze" was the only Mario tune that showed up in Sakurai's journal, Yoko Shimomura's one of the composers for Brawl, and it is definately one of the most popular tunes of the franchise. With that all said, I strongly believe it will make it into the game.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I would agree there, Bowser's Castle is a popular tune and so it Mario's Theme :p anyways, I think the stage for Geno would be the Star Road...Its more fitting then the Forest Maze...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
While the Forest Maze song could easily be implemented in one way or another, I would hardly say it's one of the most popular tunes in the franchise. >_>
thats true but again it all depends on the person

Does this mean X will appear over Classic Megaman?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The game X has nothing to do with Megaman in any shape or form, and is not related to him at all. This isn't music from any Megaman game in other words.

And I thought judgement day was that CoroCoro thing on the 15th. :O

Enigma14

Smash Champion
The game X has nothing to do with Megaman in any shape or form, and is not related to him at all. This isn't music from any Megaman game in other words.

You sure? IT says X like Megaman X

Copperpot

Smash Ace
thats true but again it all depends on the person

Does this mean X will appear over Classic Megaman?
The 'X' that Sakurai is referencing isn't Megaman. It just happens to be a game called 'X'.

He goes on to say the game is Japan-only, but we all know that Megaman X has had a plethora of games released state-side. That was the dead give-away.

The situation itself is sort of neat, though. I wonder where he's going to put this music in the game?

Also, notice that he stated that 'X' is the first game to have Music in Smash Bros without having a stage . . . He doesn't say anything about characters, bosses, assist trophies, or items.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Also, notice that he stated that 'X' is the first game to have Music in Smash Bros without having a stage . . . He doesn't say anything about characters, bosses, assist trophies, or items.
Ok, get it now

but...

Fire Emblem did have a stage in the last one yet they had music...unless its for when you're in a tunnel in the SE story...

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace

Aren't they only going to reveal the starters? I don't think Geno would be a starter.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Ok, get it now

but...

Fire Emblem did have a stage in the last one yet they had music...unless its for when you're in a tunnel in the SE story...
Don't forget the DS Cooking NAvi music. Too be honest, that was probably(Where probably is the key word) the first revealed Brawl song without it's own particular stage.

Well, as much as I want Geno in Brawl, if by some chance he isn't in, I hope Yoko will at least do some music from SMRPG.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
lol i love these forums so many arguements that usually have no purpose...
The song is a random thing form Japan live with it it says it on the site....thats all that needs to be said now talk about Geno =]]]]

Copperpot

Smash Ace
A rumor is just that, a rumor. Don't get your hopes up by thinking that, by some freak accident, Sakurai will happen to comply with someone's mindless jabber. If Geno is in the game, he will be revealed in due time. He will not, however, be announced on a day that coincides with some supposedly "leaked" source. Be patient, my fellow Geno fans.

Actually, I could stir a rumor every day that Geno will be announced the following morning. Eventually, I'll be right, but that doesn't make my prediction any more credible, does it?

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
The place where the rumor came from is from a forum that's very retibal...but still i;m not holding it as true fact that it's gonna happen i'm just hoping it does...same with the Roster being confirmed on the 15th.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
*checks*

Wow, you're right. :O

Mmmm Nostalgia. Anyways, the point still stands that he was in neither of those two cross over games, despite SE and Nintendo together again. >_>
Edit: I'd like to reword what I previously posted.

Geno appeared in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Square Enix's only involvement was allowing Nintendo to use Geno in a cameo.

Besides, not every single Mario character made an appearance either in the two games that you're referring to.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Hey Geno fans, I have another question for you all. If Geno is so popular and wanted, why didn't he show up in Itadaki Street DS? =/
Because real men play football . . .

Joking . . . joking . . .

In all honesty, though, Geno's going to need a lot of vocal support by his fans in order to get him to appear as playable in any game. I'm having my doubts that rabid Geno fans were rocking the foundations of Nintendo and Square-Enix headquarters to get Geno into a basketball game.

Geno's problem is that he is a relatively popular, wanted character; Nintendo and Square just haven't realized it yet.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Yes, he did have that cameo. But later on he got nothing in the perfect games for him to show up again in. Why is that?
There doesn't necessarily need to be a reason though. What was Nintendo's reason for kicking Luigi to the curb for so many years? There were plenty of perfect titles he could have appeared in as a playable character, but unfortunately Nintendo had something against him. Super Mario 64 was a perfect game for Luigi to appear in as a playable character but where was he?

All these counter arguments are getting old. We simply want Geno because we're loyal fans and there has been several hints over the course of Smash Bros Brawl's development that give us hope. That isn't to say that we all argue from opinions and dreams but there is some sort of reference that we can use. If Geno is added into Brawl, then what are you going to do about it? The fans want him and we might get him.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Actually 64 wasn't. At least not for Luigi's standard role at the time. Geno could easily have been put in as playable in those games, but he wasn't. Heck, they picked Waluigi over him.

And I don't care who you like and who you want. I just talk about the real chances a character has, and try to clarify if something is wrong. There have been no "hints" towards Geno though. There have been some people requesting him, and then that's it.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Actually 64 wasn't. At least not for Luigi's standard role at the time. Geno could easily have been put in as playable in those games, but he wasn't. Heck, they picked Waluigi over him.

And I don't care who you like and who you want. I just talk about the real chances a character has, and try to clarify if something is wrong. There have been no "hints" towards Geno though. There have been some people requesting him, and then that's it.
Going into a thread and trying to get die hard fans to admit that their character has little chances isn't the brightest thing to do, not to mention it's pretty futile. I like my character, you like yours. The end.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman

That's because Alpha Dream wasn't working on any of those games. Do your research before you come in here blabbing it up. Alpha Dream is a company that has large ties to square but works as 2nd Party for Nintendo. Alpha Dream had the ability to put Geno into Mario and Luigi, but Nintendo doesn't have the power to put him as a cameo in any of their games.

Besides, there haven't been many hints towards any of the newcomers simply because of the fact that the only time we get hints is right before they are released. That's a pretty stupid argument.

Sakurai cares about who is popular and Geno is fairly popular in the United States and Japan. I don't see how you could think that he doesn't have a decent shot at getting in.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Hey Geno fans, I have another question for you all. If Geno is so popular and wanted, why didn't he show up in Itadaki Street DS? =/
Don't forget Mario Hoops 3-on-3...

Actually, music from SMRPG was in Itadaki Street DS which you can hear on the website.
Ikada Street only has Dragon Quest, not any other characters from SE and Mario Hoops has FF...

Anyway, SQUARE made those games, not Nintendo and SQUARE at least doesn't seem that interested in Geno...

...Nintendo however does, or in the least Sakurai

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice

Can you provide us with any factual information regarding Brawl that hinders Geno's chances?

(By the way, where was Crono? He is certainly more popular than Geno could ever dream of being and yet he wasn't in those titles you were referring to either)

If you don't care who I like and who I want then you wouldn't be in the Geno thread trying to debate with everyone. You don't talk about his chances in Brawl, you're over here talking about some DS games that have absolutely no relevance to Brawl (to our knowledge). You can't provide any factual information AGAINST Geno's inclusion on the playable roster list.

For the record there have been hints other than people requesting him and they've been mentioned plenty of times in this thread before.

1) Sakurai has acknowledged Geno's existence and has even recorded some of the requests for Geno in his journal. Hmm.. not too many characters have been recorded and publically displayed in that journal to the same degree Geno has.. by the way who is Sakurai again? Whoever he is, I'm sure he has absolutely nothing to do with Brawl..

2) Yoko Shimomura's participation in Brawl as a composer. Her work is listed as Kingdom Hearts, but why would Sakurai diliberately leak a Kingdom Hearts character in that way? You don't hire someone like Yoko to do some petty music like the title screen.. its been assigned to someone else. Considering she basically created the entire Super Mario RPG soundtrack among many other Square Enix titles, its safe to assume that this COULD be a hint at Geno. For example, long before Sonic the Hedgehog was confirmed there was absolutely nothing that could support his cause in Brawl other than web rumors. However, on the composers list there was somebody who was famous for working on the music for NiGHTS. That pretty much guaranteed that SEGA was involved with Brawl in some way, shape or form. I hope you understand what I posted..

3) With Super Mario RPG being one of the most requested games to appear on the Wii VC and with a game that portrays Nintendo's massive history in the making, that only boosts Geno's chances. Sakurai once claimed that Kid Icarus appeared on the Wii VC and he was certainly promoting it, perhaps the same could be applied to Super Mario RPG? It saddens me to see so many people underestimate the importance of Super Mario RPG and Geno's importance to the plot of the game. Super Mario RPG was a huge title for Nintendo because of how much it boasted. Geno was certainly eye candy and basically was a staple in the plot. If you took Geno out of the game right now and tried to complete the story, you couldn't. He is meant to recover the star pieces and repair the Star Road.

4) Geno is Square Enix's Mario character.. I will never come to understand why so many people just crash and burn on this point. Not only is Geno highly requested (those smart people that actually made the connection that Brawl should have heavy Nintendo bias) but he's also a third party Mario character (which makes him 2 1/2 party). Why is he a bad candidate other than people don't know who he is? My theory is that he's the same as any Square Enix representative prior to Final Fantasy X-2. One game, one role, one shot, good bye have a nice retirement. As I always say.. there is no Final Fantasy 2 part 2 for example. The whole "lets come out of retirement" idea is new.

5) Sakurai and his engineers wouldn't need to develop moves for Geno. Geno is pretty much set, they would just have to design and program the moves. Geno has potential to be a unique character.
Lets not forget that Sakurai wanted to make it absolutely clear in an update that you can charge your shots.. "Hold Y for power!"

I just don't see why you want us all to fail. What did we do to you? Instead of coming here and trying to humiliate us, if you actually started reading our points instead of being bull headed and shooting down everything we say, we might actually value your opinions more. We get this crap all the time and I'm one who is getting sick of it. Its the same stupid counter argument, reworded with no proof or evidence but rather twisted and distorted meanings. Oh, but we do that too right? Not exactly. We may blow things out of proportion and be completely inaccurate but our points are basically intertwined with Brawl as opposed to "unpopular, out" or "one game. out"

Copperpot

Smash Ace
AmericanGTS . . . I couldn't have said it better myself. Many arguments posed against Geno tend to come from those who are really just ill-informed as to what his situation really is. In case you're wondering, Pieman, I'm not pointing fingers. I think you've done a decent job of debating and researching your stuff. Heck, at the very least you've provided a new point that hasn't been brought up before . . . from what I've seen.

At any rate, AmericanGTS, you gave me a new perspective on the list of composers on the Dojo . . . Next to that long list of names, it details a game or two that the composer has worked on. It doesn't, in the case of third parties, however, specify what composers might be working on said characters. A perfect example that you gave, the composer for Nights, is most likely heading up some music for Sonic, but it doesn't anywhere on that list state that there is a composer in charge of Sonic's music.

The same can be said for a number of other characters. Is there a composer on that list that did music for Megaman? We know that the woman who did the music for Super Mario RPG is present. I'm going to have to do some research here . . .

Top Bottom