• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Here we go with the swearing and the high blood temapture...

Anyways yes it you've noticed Snake's creator begged and Sonic's said that would be nice, meaning if he did get in sweet! If not then theres the next installment.

Kinda like my opinion on Geno. If he gets in, Im maining and flaming the haters, if he doesn't I'll use Lucas.

WE DON'T WANT GENO TO REPRESENT SQUARE-ENIX

I DON'T KNOW WHY THE **** YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT...

He's a **** Mario character and will get in as a Mario character
Why would Square Enix want the one character that they give them to put into Brawl to not represent them?!

It makes no sense! Just because you pick a senseless position doesn't mean it's not senseless!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, Snitch, you haven't exactly contributed FACTS yourself. Just assumptions, much like everybody else. For all we know, Sakurai could very well mindgame the whole lot of us and throw in the likes of Bubsy the Bobcat.

To say that Geno is very unlikely is pretty far-fetched, though. Sakurai's little poll does speak volumes, considering that several of the more "high-end" wanted characters have been included in some fashion. PT, Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede---the only other characters that ranked that high were Ridley and Geno, but neither of those two have been added yet. This alone is the only concrete fact that can be used as clout in this argument. Other than that, the whole **** thing is up in the air.

Smooth Criminal

Edit: Oh, and Fatmanonice? Good post about Slime and his chances for Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would Square Enix want the one character that they give them to put into Brawl to not represent them?!

It makes no sense! Just because you pick a senseless position doesn't mean it's not senseless!
You don't seem to understand. Nintendo is asking to use one of their characters for Geno, not giving them the opportunity to represent their entire company though a character in Smash.

and your statement right here is also nothing but and assumption, who says Square also can't get a character if they want one?

Whatever, I am out. You go on believing that irrelevant, non-retro characters have a chance in Brawl - ones that require negotiations and all that jazz.

Me? I don't care if Geno is in Brawl or not. I liked SMRPG plenty, and I liked Geno plenty. But I don't think he should be in no more than I think Mallow or Booster should be.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Whatever, I am out. You go on believing that irrelevant, non-retro characters have a chance in Brawl - ones that require negotiations and all that jazz.

Me? I don't care if Geno is in Brawl or not. I liked SMRPG plenty, and I liked Geno plenty. But I don't think he should be in no more than I think Mallow or Booster should be.
Your no less thick yourself and it was just pure stupidity to even come here in the first place. Smooth is right, all we have is the poll and Sakurai mentioning Geno. We don't have any evidence for or against after that...just speculation.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No, Slime is awesome. Slime > Moogle. Neither have a chance in hell anyway, so it doesn't really matter, but just throwing that out there.
Can't say I disagree with you, man. I've always harbored a particular hatred towards Moogle, Mog, or whatever the hell you wanna call those kupo things. :laugh:

Smooth Criminal

1. BOO

But seriously, I enjoyed this riveting debate. I like to start debates about stuff like this, keeps me on my toes. No hard feelings, y'all.

PS: I removed the "thick" comment out of the kindness of my heart.

2. And not a good point on Slime. Slime is the most recurring ANYTHING in DQ history. Well, tied with grass, rocks, dirt, skin cells, water, sky, etc. But this isn't the proper place to discuss this. If you want to counter any Slime-related arguments, I made a thread a couple of weeks back.,

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I guess my little paragraph was a bit too long?

Well, here we go:

Pot-kettle-black.

AFAIC, no one has provided solid reasoning for including him besides expressed interest from Sakurai. The third party status of Geno provides an extra hurdle.

There is strong evidence that certain people have played more of a role in helping certain third party characters get in rather then the third party themselves. For example, it's common knowledge that Hideo Kojima was the one that convinced Konami to use Snake for Brawl and, because of the strong relationship that Yuji Naka and Shigeru Miyamoto have and comments he has made in interviews, there's little doubt in my mind that, despite no longer working for Sega, he played a decent role in helping Sonic make it into Brawl. As already mentioned, both of the directors of SMRPG now work for Nintendo under Alpha Dream and were logically the ones that helped Geno appear in Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga. Both of them still work for Nintendo so I don't see why this couldn't happen again. I also don't think it's nessecary to repeat how Geno is different from other third party characters when it comes to his overall worth and his ease of obtaining.

Just because Takamaru made the poll does not mean that Sakurai fell in love with his inclusion - he stated that he'd include him if he had another game.

Sakurai has never specifically talked about Takamaru. He did, however, mention in an interview shortly following E3 06 that the Mystery of Murasume Castle was one of his favorite games along with Punch-Out and the Adventures of Lolo.

This same condition was applied to Pit - he had another game, which sold very well, so he was included.

Compared to other titles at the time, Kid Icarus didn't do as magnificent as you say it did and sold about 1.09 million copies in Japan. In comparison, Super Mario RPG sold about 1.47 million in Japan alone in a generation where games generally sold less. As you can imagine, the sequel to Kid Icarus on the Gameboy sold much less and was only released in North America so I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your information...

Just because he didn't say "Geno? More like Gtfo amirite?" doesn't mean that he's going to include him.
Oh course not but there's a decent amount of evidence that suggests he has a strong interest in him despite his overall obscurity.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
2. And not a good point on Slime. Slime is the most recurring ANYTHING in DQ history. Well, tied with grass, rocks, dirt, skin cells, water, sky, etc. But this isn't the proper place to discuss this. If you want to counter any Slime-related arguments, I made a thread a couple of weeks back.,
As for PLAYABILITY in Brawl, man. DQ is the penultimate roleplaying game over in the Land of the Rising Sun. We were not trying to contest that fact. Hell, that'd be pretty stupid. That's like trying to say Superman is not a cultural icon over here in the 'States. Slime is the FACE of DQ and is the first thing that comes to mind when anything is brought up about that game.

I just fall into the same camp as the Fatman: Slime is a generic enemy in a big franchise, kinda like Bowser's Koopa underlings in the Marioverse. At least, that's how some of us feel. Forgive me for sounding a bit antagonistic towards you with my previous post. It's good that you came back here and say stuff like that. Not many people man up and apologize for their smarmy, snarky remarks around these threads.

I think some of will be more than happy to debate Slime's playability in Brawl sometime.

Smooth Criminal

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
Why do people think Geno would be in for representing Square-Enix? This game isn't made for characters to representing, it's not NASCAR or the Olympics.

The characters are in the game to make it one of the best games possible. Sonic is not in Brawl because Sega "needed a representative," he is in Brawl because he would make the game better for many.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
As for PLAYABILITY in Brawl, man. DQ is the penultimate roleplaying game over in the Land of the Rising Sun. We were not trying to contest that fact. Hell, that'd be pretty stupid. That's like trying to say Superman is not a cultural icon over here in the 'States. Slime is the FACE of DQ and is the first thing that comes to mind when anything is brought up about that game.

I just fall into the same camp as the Fatman: Slime is a generic enemy in a big franchise, kinda like Bowser's Koopa underlings in the Marioverse. At least, that's how some of us feel. Forgive me for sounding a bit antagonistic towards you with my previous post. It's good that you came back here and say stuff like that. Not many people man up and apologize for their smarmy, snarky remarks around these threads.

I think some of will be more than happy to debate Slime's playability in Brawl sometime.

Smooth Criminal
I agree so much about slime!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Slime is limbless, it's only A moves could be hitting the opponent with it's body...

It probably could have a special moveset but just try and make an A moveset

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. BOO

But seriously, I enjoyed this riveting debate. I like to start debates about stuff like this, keeps me on my toes. No hard feelings, y'all.

PS: I removed the "thick" comment out of the kindness of my heart.

But if you want someone to represent Square Enix as a whole, wouldn't you want to have someone that, you know, is actually important to the plot of the respective games of the company? Heck, in that regard, characters like Sora and Cloud definately run circles around him.

Still, it's a matter of looking at the big picture. Personally, I see Geno as the easy route out if Nintendo does contact Square Enix. Instead of trying to decide on who to represent their company as a whole, they could choose Geno who was part of a game that was very important in Nintendo's history since Smash Bros is, despite having third party characters, still about Nintendo. While Geno would be categorized as a Mario character, he'd still be a tip of the hat to Square Enix and besides, how many third party companies can actually say they created a Mario character? :chuckle:

1. Slime is very important to SE, and at no point has Sakurai ever set up a guideline that excludes a character based on their importance. If you asked people to name the one living thing from DQ that pops into their head, they'd most likely name Slime, because Slime is pretty much the unifying thing for the series - it's the one thing that keeps them linked. And on top of that, a Slime got his own spin-off franchise.

2. Like I said earlier, Slime is able to:

Attack
"Walk"
"Run"
Dodge
Jump
Double Jump
Pick up people and objects
Throw people and objects

etc.

And on top of that, there's a variety of Slime called the "Slime Knight", which carries a suit of armor with a sword that can slash at opponents, that could be his A moves.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your no less thick yourself and it was just pure stupidity to even come here in the first place. Smooth is right, all we have is the poll and Sakurai mentioning Geno. We don't have any evidence for or against after that...just speculation.
Heck, speculation's really the only thing that almost anyone has going for them. We all talk about what certain characters have going for them but it's impossible to prove that they'll play any role in getting them in. Did King Dedede get in because he's Nintendo second most reoccuring antagonist or just because Sakurai wanted to please the fans? Did Diddy Kong get in because he stars in the most games of any video game sidekick or because Sakurai felt like the DK franchise needed another rep? Granted, I personally think that it's a good reflection of the character when a decent and logical list of reasons is produced but they don't exactly prove anything besides why a character might be included.

Still, in this matter, the journal mentions are the only concrete things going for all the 17 out of 21 characters that were mentioned more then once but haven't been confirmed yet.

@ the above post:

So did Chocobo but that doesn't entitle that character to represent all of Square Enix either... Keep in mind that the Chocobo was the most requested third party character during the Melee Poll back in 2001:

Non-Nintendo:

1. Chocobo (9)
2. Doraemon (7)
3. Bomberman (5)
4. Crash Bandicoot (4)
5. Sonic (3)
6. Megaman (3)

Apparently Slime wasn't the first SE character that came to people's minds.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
Why do you two think if Geno is in Brawl, that SE won't have any other characters? The delay was caused by the inclusion of more 3rd party characters (see Brawl general chat, the reason for delay topic).

Slime, Chocobo, Moogle... why would these characters be PCs in Brawl? I mean, it really seems like they would have characters with more importance, depth, and fanbase. You might like Slime, but how well can he pull off being a PC in Brawl? And even if he can, why can Geno not be a PC too then?

If you don't like Geno, that's fine. But he's not going to be the only way Square-Enix gets in this game, then slams down the iron gate behind him and shouts, "Nyah nyah nyah, I won, you pansies!"

No matter how much anyone might like Geno, he is not comparable to Slime in importance. Slime is the mascot of Square's biggest game series ever made. No one ever said depth was a factor in this game for characters. If that were true, Ice Climbers would never have had a chance.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Why do people think Geno would be in for representing Square-Enix? This game isn't made for characters to representing, it's not NASCAR or the Olympics.

The characters are in the game to make it one of the best games possible. Sonic is not in Brawl because Sega "needed a representative," he is in Brawl because he would make the game better for many.

You know what lil smash child you got a pretty d@mn good point about that. This aint the olympics or NASCAR or any of that $hit. But in a way not only are these characters making the game better but you gotta think that the third party company and Nintendo do actaully think about which one would be a good rep for the third party company and the game. Yes the fans make the desicion a whole lot easier. I really wouldn't use Sonic as a example because putting Sonic in Brawl was a no brainer. Like putting milk in cereal(sorry for lame@ass example,but you get the point right?) All in all I agree with you Wrath but I also believe that they do look for that character to rep their company. To get back on topic Geno isn't really the top square rep in maybe square's opinion but to fans of Nintendo Geno is important to them and Brawl is a Nintendo game and therefore does make Geno a good Nintendo/Square Enix rep and will satify most the Smash fans and will make the game better.

Sorry if I went on for too long.:urg:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No matter how much anyone might like Geno, he is not comparable to Slime in importance. Slime is the mascot of Square's biggest game series ever made. No one ever said depth was a factor in this game for characters. If that were true, Ice Climbers would never have had a chance.
Slime isn't a SQUARE game, it's an Enix game...also, Dragon Quest is not very popular outside of Japan...

Chocobo however, is the mascot of Nintendo and was the most requested (And only) Square-Enix character on the Melee and Brawl Poll

Unless you count Geno, of course

They're the same thing! It doesn't matter. Nowadays, Square is Enix and Enix is Square. It doesn't matter what the company is called by anyone.

And DQVIII has sold more than 1.5 million outside of Japan, with 800k of that in Europe alone.

And Chocobo is not the mascot of Square Enix - why would he be? Slime is far more prevalent and better promoted than Chocobo for a reason.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They're the same thing! It doesn't matter. Nowadays, Square is Enix and Enix is Square. It doesn't matter what the company is called by anyone.

And DQVIII has sold more than 1.5 million outside of Japan, with 800k of that in Europe alone.

And Chocobo is not the mascot of Square Enix - why would he be? Slime is far more prevalent and better promoted than Chocobo for a reason.
Chocobo was the only character from Square-Enix that people have wanted in Smash apparently according to the Brawl and Melee polls

and I said mascot of FF, or in the least meant that

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Ice Climbers were the stars of their respective franchise and only game though... >_>

And like I said before, slime is comparible to any other generic enemy from other video games. Space Pirates, goombas, kremlings, mettals... you name it... It really doesn't matter especially when you take into context how, despite being the only minor Nintendo characters to have spinoffs, Toad's back to being Peach's shield and Tingle appears to be doomed to no more then an AT at most since we've already seen his trophy.

I see. I assumed you mention SE since you said Nintendo.

But anyway, Chocobo's mascot status is far more debatable than Slime's. While Chocobo isn't even in all FF games, and isn't seen early in the games, Slime is frequently seen in every single game in dozens upon dozens of incarnations - Slime, Bubble Slime, Drak Slime, Angel Slime, Heal Slime, King Slime, Metal Slime, Red Slime, Slime Knight, Gem Slime, Golem Slime, Metal Bubble Slime, King Bubble Slime, King Metal Slime, King Heal Slime, Shell Slime, etc. Just because he isn't a prominent character doesn't mean he isn't the most recognizable thing from DQ series.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Slime isn't a SQUARE game, it's an Enix game...also, Dragon Quest is not very popular outside of Japan...

Chocobo however, is the mascot of Nintendo and was the most requested (And only) Square-Enix character on the Melee and Brawl Poll

Unless you count Geno, of course
1. Slime is very important to SE, and at no point has Sakurai ever set up a guideline that excludes a character based on their importance. If you asked people to name the one living thing from DQ that pops into their head, they'd most likely name Slime, because Slime is pretty much the unifying thing for the series - it's the one thing that keeps them linked. And on top of that, a Slime got his own spin-off franchise.

2. Like I said earlier, Slime is able to:

Attack
"Walk"
"Run"
Dodge
Jump
Double Jump
Pick up people and objects
Throw people and objects

etc.

And on top of that, there's a variety of Slime called the "Slime Knight", which carries a suit of armor with a sword that can slash at opponents, that could be his A moves.

I'll admit I don't come on the Geno threds too much but who is this Slime Does he have his own Slime for Brawl thread cuz if he does then why do I keep seeing this name so much in the Geno Thread If he so important and should be in Brawl then why doesn't he have a thread?

The Ice Climbers were the stars of their respective franchise and only game though... >_>

And like I said before, slime is comparible to any other generic enemy from other video games. Space Pirates, goombas, kremlings, mettals... you name it... It really doesn't matter especially when you take into context how, despite being the only minor Nintendo characters to have spinoffs, Toad's back to being Peach's shield and Tingle appears to be doomed to no more then an AT at most since we've already seen his trophy.
Space Pirates, Goombas, Kremlings, Mettals, none of those are ever considered to be the mascot of their respective franchises, or even A mascot of them. Slime has been in every DQ game ever created. He has his own franchise of video games. Your examples are of species that aren't ever treated as mascots because the franchises have Mario, Samus, DK, and whomever. But Slime is the only noticeable recurring creature or character. I fail to see how Slimes are on the same level as Goombas - Slimes may be best-known as a species of enemy, but they're still the face of the DQ series.

I'll admit I don't come on the Geno threds too much but who is this Slime Does he have his own Slime for Brawl thread cuz if he does then why do I keep seeing this name so much in the Geno Thread If he so important and should be in Brawl then why doesn't he have a thread?
I told people to carry on this conversation there, but it seems to have carried on here.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Space Pirates, Goombas, Kremlings, Mettals, none of those are ever considered to be the mascot of their respective franchises, or even A mascot of them. Slime has been in every DQ game ever created. He has his own franchise of video games. Your examples are of species that aren't ever treated as mascots because the franchises have Mario, Samus, DK, and whomever. But Slime is the only noticeable recurring creature or character. I fail to see how Slimes are on the same level as Goombas - Slimes may be best-known as a species of enemy, but they're still the face of the DQ series.
He's the goomba equivelant of Mario, so imagine Goomba playable and you'll understand how Slime should not be in brawl.

Slime can do everything anyone in Smash can.

There's no physical limitations to eliminate Slime.

Slime can use magic, a sword, can pick up, throw, run, walk, jump, etc.

Goomba has never had a starring role, correct?

Slime has.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see. I assumed you mention SE since you said Nintendo.

But anyway, Chocobo's mascot status is far more debatable than Slime's. While Chocobo isn't even in all FF games, and isn't seen early in the games, Slime is frequently seen in every single game in dozens upon dozens of incarnations - Slime, Bubble Slime, Drak Slime, Angel Slime, Heal Slime, King Slime, Metal Slime, Red Slime, Slime Knight, Gem Slime, Golem Slime, Metal Bubble Slime, King Bubble Slime, King Metal Slime, King Heal Slime, Shell Slime, etc. Just because he isn't a prominent character doesn't mean he isn't the most recognizable thing from DQ series.
@ Psychoincarnate: Actually, Sora was mentioned too but the fact remains that Megaman and Geno were the only third party characters mentioned more then once.

@ A Link to the Snitch:

So have koopas: red shells, green shells, blue shells, green shells, Hammer Bros, Sumo Bros, Boomerang Bros, Fire Bros, Paratroopas, armored koopas, armored Paratroopas, magikoopas, the really fat paratroopas (I forgot what they're called), lakitus (which are technically koopas), armored koopas with spikes, armored paratroopas with spikes, etc. As I mentioned before there's Bowser and his kin and all the koopas like Kamek, Kammy, Kooper, and Koops that have played roles in various games.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman

Slime has.
And how does this make him more viable than Geno?

Also, no mean for offense, but what's the appeal in playing Slime?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Slime has.
Assuming or even guessing a slime is in Brawl has no basis or facts, other than assumptions so it's like a shot in the air...Hit or miss...

Geno is the only character other than Chocobo that can really be speculated about from Square-Enix (Even though, as I said, Geno would count as a Mario character) because they are the only ones with SOME facts about them...

Top Bottom