• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Well, if Square Enix doesn't care about Geno then why the hell would they care if Sakurai wanted to add Geno to Brawl? Your argument is a giant contradiction with partial facts and barely any evidence to back it up. You aren't Sakurai and I doubt you're even acquainted to him. "Sakurai would do this for sure! Why would Sakurai say that, he definitely wouldn't! Look at me guys, Sakurai and I are buddies! I know everything!":ohwell:

Whats wrong with the fans wanting Geno? Hmm? If any other Square Enix character was requested NEARLY as much as Geno and received NEARLY as much recognition from Sakurai, your argument might hold up a bit more than it does.. I mean doesn't.. If Geno is highly requested and Sakurai notes that, then what do you want us to do about it? You can't blame the fans for wanting a character.. you'd be a hypocrite. Smash Bros isn't about who is super popular and who has the most games and who has the largest fan bases.. my god.. I didn't even know who the Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, Lucas, Roy and Marth were until I played Melee and started watching updates on the Smash Bros Dojo.

1) You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Do you know who Rareware is? Did you know that for years they developed most of the Donkey Kong content you see today? Guess what! Nintendo didn't create it! Rareware did! Oh, but Nintendo owns the rights to Donkey Kong and everything affiliated to it.. I'm so STUPID... oh man, wow.. I can't believe it.. wait.. whats that? In the Melee instruction manual there is credit given to Rareware for the material they created that was used for Melee?! No way! Nintendo paid Rareware!? Oh yeah, I forgot, they didn't.. they just gave credit to Rareware who is a fourth party company now. Don't think for one moment that it would be any different in Brawl. Rareware holds most of the intellectual property to Donkey Kong's content and Nintendo MUST credit Rareware for the material they created even if they don't own half of a fraction of Donkey Kong. Thats the way it is. Geno is most likely in the same situation.

2) So.. next time you and Sakurai are hanging out, why don't you confirm Geno's status for us?

3) I don't have a clue how that has any relevance to Geno's inclusion in Brawl...
Yeah and Brawl is a major Fan service, so pretty much if we want Geno so badly Sakurai's gonna do his best to get him in the game.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Third party characters are based on advertising. Sonic and Snake are not obscure characters. :O

Anyways, I think it has to be made clear to people that being a mix of 3rd and 1st part does NOT mean that a character is 2nd party. e_e

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I repeat: Why would SE want Geno in over someone they actually care about?

Because Square Enix doesn't really have a single character that could effectively represent the entire 20 year history of the company like Sonic can for Sega or Megaman for Capcom. Besides, as Nintendo has made it evident, Geno would be categorized as a Mario character if he were included in Brawl, not third party because, as I mentioned, Geno could hardly represent SE as a whole.

:laugh: You say that as if Sakurai cares about Geno HALF as much as you guys do. He mentioned him and he "expressed interest", I don't see him starting a Geno fan-club, so why in the world would he refuse to give SE any representation if Geno didn't get in?

Sakurai and his staff contacted the third parties, not the other way around. There's also a decent amount of evidence that certain people associated with those third parties help persuade them to let Nintendo use their characters.

1. It says that Geno is the property of Square Enix. That's a bunch of legal crap waiting to happen if it actually belongs to multiple parties. If I own part of a Wii with someone else, it is both of our property. If Nintendo was going to specifically mention Geno and say who he belongs to and they also owned a part of him, they would specify. And on top of that, they do not have "free reign" over Geno as long as they give SE credit for him, if it's the property of Square Enix, then any inclusion of Geno must include SE's permission. That, or a law suit.

What you just described is what happened with Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga. Square Enix was in no way involved with the development of the game and all Nintendo did was give them credit in the credits for creating Geno. Because SE wasn't involved in the development, it is very likely that SE allowed Nintendo/Alpha Dream to use Geno with very few strings attached seeing how he's basically worthless to them since he's a character in a first party franchise that they don't own.

2. Sakurai gives a WEE bit more respect to developers than you suggest, since you seem to be suggesting that Sakurai has this "my way or the highway" attitude going on.

Well he is the director and therefore is entitled to do whatever he pleases when it comes to the creation of this game so...

3. On a Nintendo web site. Which has a Nintendo fan base on it, not a Square Enix one. Why would people choose Slime, Moogle, or Crono over a Mario-oriented Geno on a Nintendo web site?
Because it was a free poll and Sakurai said that any character was eligible as long as they had appeared in a game on a Nintendo console at least once. With that said, there's no doubt in my mind that the characters you mentioned above were requested but the point remains that none of them were one of the 100+ characters that made it into Sakurai's journal and weren't one of the 21 characters mentioned more then once. Geno, on the other hand, tied with King Dedede as the most mentioned character with 5 mentions, outdoing the likes of big hitters like Krystal, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Diddy Kong, and even Megaman. I even have the mentions saved on my PC if you want me to post them again.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
....No. That's never been the case. For Snake, it was because Kojima approached Sakurai too late. There's nothing on Sonic though, so it can probably be concluded that he was never intended for Melee. (Wait, was the Dreamcast still afloat at that point, or did it go under by then?)

EDIT: Oh, and Megaman was there, and it the poll was after Snake's inclusion. They knew full well about third party characters.
Uh yes it has been the case. I'll find the link to the proof that Sonic was also supposed to be in melee later.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Because Square Enix doesn't really have a single character that could effectively represent the entire 20 year history of the company like Sonic can for Sega or Megaman for Capcom. Besides, as Nintendo has made it evident, Geno would be categorized as a Mario character if he were included in Brawl, not third party because, as I mentioned, Geno could hardly represent SE as a whole.

:laugh: You say that as if Sakurai cares about Geno HALF as much as you guys do. He mentioned him and he "expressed interest", I don't see him starting a Geno fan-club, so why in the world would he refuse to give SE any representation if Geno didn't get in?

Sakurai and his staff contacted the third parties, not the other way around. There's also a decent amount of evidence that certain people associated with those third parties help persuade them to let Nintendo use their characters.

1. It says that Geno is the property of Square Enix. That's a bunch of legal crap waiting to happen if it actually belongs to multiple parties. If I own part of a Wii with someone else, it is both of our property. If Nintendo was going to specifically mention Geno and say who he belongs to and they also owned a part of him, they would specify. And on top of that, they do not have "free reign" over Geno as long as they give SE credit for him, if it's the property of Square Enix, then any inclusion of Geno must include SE's permission. That, or a law suit.

What you just described is what happened with Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga. Square Enix was in no way involved with the development of the game and all Nintendo did was give them credit in the credits for creating Geno. Because SE wasn't involved in the development, it is very likely that SE allowed Nintendo/Alpha Dream to use Geno with very few strings attached seeing how he's basically worthless to them since he's a character in a first party franchise that they don't own.

2. Sakurai gives a WEE bit more respect to developers than you suggest, since you seem to be suggesting that Sakurai has this "my way or the highway" attitude going on.

Well he is the director and therefore is entitled to do whatever he pleases when it comes to the creation of this game so...

3. On a Nintendo web site. Which has a Nintendo fan base on it, not a Square Enix one. Why would people choose Slime, Moogle, or Crono over a Mario-oriented Geno on a Nintendo web site?
Because it was a free poll and Sakurai said that any character was eligible as long as they had appeared in a game on a Nintendo console at least once. With that said, there's no doubt in my mind that the characters you mentioned above were requested but the point remains that none of them were one of the 100+ characters that made it into Sakurai's journal and weren't one of the 21 characters mentioned more then once. Geno, on the other hand, tied with King Dedede as the most mentioned character with 5 mentions, outdoing the likes of big hitters like Krystal, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Diddy Kong, and even Megaman. I even have the mentions saved on my PC if you want me to post them again.

My responses in red.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Third party characters are based on advertising. Sonic and Snake are not obscure characters. :O

Anyways, I think it has to be made clear to people that being a mix of 3rd and 1st part does NOT mean that a character is 2nd party. e_e
Geno is not a third party and would not be counted as a third party character.

Your point BTW contradicts the other guys anyway because if they were based on advertising, they'd care more about how much money the character would get then "representing the entire franchise"

I don't even care because none of this matters

Geno 4 Brawl

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why do you guys have the mentions and not the replies, which are what count? Or were there no replies? o_o

EDIT: Geno is a 3rd party character no matter how you spin it. He'd be associated with Mario when all things are said and done, but he's a 3rd party character none the less. Saying he's a mix is incorect in itself, though I admit he's not like others..

And I don't care if I am contradicting the other guy. Third party characters are all big name. They rake in people who would not normally buy the game. They expand the target audiance because they go beyond Nintendo.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
actually Geno got 4 but still he is at the top, and i hope he's included...though still not as a 3rd party.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Why do people always neglect to mention that he was mentioned in an interview back in September 2006?

In short, using Sonic as a way to debunk Sakurai's journal is faulty because both have been venues for expressing his interests.
That's not what he was talking about. They took in suggestions during the June before last and posted 290 of those submissions and responded to 29 of them. That isn't necessarily reflective of the actual results or really anything. Sonic got one response on the "poll" everyone always quotes but he was the most requested third-party character.

Nintendo paid Rareware!? Oh yeah, I forgot, they didn't.. they just gave credit to Rareware who is a fourth party company now. Don't think for one moment that it would be any different in Brawl. Rareware holds most of the intellectual property to Donkey Kong's content and Nintendo MUST credit Rareware for the material they created even if they don't own half of a fraction of Donkey Kong. Thats the way it is. Geno is most likely in the same situation.
How do you know this?

Snake and Sonic aren't on the poll, because they're third party characters. Since there are no other 3rd Party characters, oher than the complicated situation of Geno, we can only assume that Geno is 2nd Party.
Snake wasn't on the poll because he was announced already.

Sonic was on the poll as were other third-party characters.

The polls were based on readers who did not know that Sonic or Snake had a chance, so they didn't vote for him. The readers did, however, feel that Geno stood a chance - solely because they thought he was Nintendo-owned. He beat out Slime and Moogle etc. because the poll was a "rigged deck", which was aimed at a fanbase that preferred Nintendo to third parties.
Other SE characters could've gotten more votes than Geno; we really don't know.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do you guys have the mentions and not the replies, which are what count? Or were there no replies? o_o

EDIT: Geno is a 3rd party character no matter how you spin it. He'd be associated with Mario when all things are said and done, but he's a third party character none the less. Saying he's a mix is incorect in itself.

And I don't care if I am contradicting the other guy. Third party characters are all big name. They rake in people who would not normally buy the game. They expand the target audiance because they go beyond Nintendo.
Geno is still a Mario character no matter what you say and will get in as a Mario character...

What the **** does it matter what party he is in the first place?

If Square wanted the advertisement they would approach Sakurai and asked for it.

Sure they still have to pay or whatever it is...

So friggin what?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The polls were based on readers who did not know that Sonic or Snake had a chance, so they didn't vote for him. The readers did, however, feel that Geno stood a chance - solely because they thought he was Nintendo-owned. He beat out Slime and Moogle etc. because the poll was a "rigged deck", which was aimed at a fanbase that preferred Nintendo to third parties.
Okay, now you're just spraying BS like a fire hose... THE POLL STARTED TWO DAYS AFTER BRAWL WAS ANNOUNCED AT E3 06. With that said, most of the people who were truely interested in the game had already seen the trailer and had already seen Snake. Would you like to make up any more facts while we're on the topic?

By the way, here's my response to one of your older posts:

My responses are in red.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I find itfunny that Nintendo All stars means you mst have been on a Nintendo Game

Cause Roy who got his game released after Melee was considered a All Star! .../sarcasm

Geno 4 Brawl!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Geno is still a Mario character no matter what you say and will get in as a Mario character...

What the **** does it matter what party he is in the first place?

If Square wanted the advertisement they would approach Sakurai and asked for it.

Sure they still have to pay or whatever it is...

So friggin what?
Why are you acting like I said he wasn't a Mario character? He is. A third party one.

And do I really need to tell you why parties matter? Don't you know how they work?

And it's not Square who gets the real benefit from a good third party character, it's Nintendo. They sell games with their new third party character to their expanded audiance. Simple as that. In the end, the third party character's incorperated fanbase should be able to pay off said third party character, since it's money Nintendo would not normally get.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why are you acting like I said he wasn't a Mario character? He is. A third party one.

And do I really need to tell you why parties matter? Don't you know how they work?

And it's not Square who gets the real benefit from a good third party character, it's Nintendo. They sell games with their new third party character to their expanded audiance. Simple as that. In the end, the third party character's incorperated fanbase should be able to pay off said third party character, since it's money Nintendo would not normally get.

Geno is not a 3rd party character, because he was developed by Square under the supervision of Miyamoto FOR Nintendo and their Mario universe. He would NOT be put in to represent Square-Enix, but Mario and Nintendo

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice

EDIT: Geno is a 3rd party character no matter how you spin it. He'd be associated with Mario when all things are said and done, but he's a 3rd party character none the less. Saying he's a mix is incorect in itself, though I admit he's not like others..

Wrong. Geno can avoid being labeled as a third party character because Square Enix acted as a second party to Nintendo when they created Geno and if Geno belongs to Square Enix then Geno should be able to appear out of a Mario game. If Nintendo can say to Square Enix that they are not allowed to use Geno in anything other than a Mario game then that means that Square Enix does not hold the full rights to Geno. I mean, if they created Geno, then yes they would hold the copyright. Nintendo can never "create" Geno, that would be violating Square Enix's copyright. Thats all it basically states.. otherwise what are they going to say? Geno is a special character created under a special circumstance.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wrong. Geno can avoid being labeled as a third party character because Square Enix acted as a second party to Nintendo when they created Geno and if Geno belongs to Square Enix then Geno should be able to appear out of a Mario game. If Nintendo can say to Square Enix that they are not allowed to use Geno in anything other than a Mario game then that means that Square Enix does not hold the full rights to Geno. I mean, if they created Geno, then yes they would hold the copyright. Nintendo can never "create" Geno, that would be violating Square Enix's copyright. Thats all it basically states.. otherwise what are they going to say? Geno is a special character created under a special circumstance.
Square was never a 2nd party to Nintendo

Enigma14

Smash Champion

What have you got against fan service? :psycho:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Geno is not a 3rd party character, because he was developed by Square under the supervision of Miyamoto FOR Nintendo and their Mario universe. He would NOT be put in to represent Square-Enix, but Mario and Nintendo
He would be under Mario, I'm not saying he wouldn't. He's a Mario character. What I'm trying to make clear is that he's a third party Mario character. That's why he doesn't show up often, despite his popularity. That's why Nintendo had to put that little notice at the end of M&LSS. He is owned by Square. He is third party. But he is also a Mario character.

EDIT: Where did it come off that I was against fan-service? I'm just saying that a third party investment needs a high rate of return from new fans.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He would be under Mario, I'm not saying he wouldn't. He's a Mario character. What I'm trying to make clear is that he's a third party Mario character. That's why he doesn't show up often, despite his popularity. That's why Nintendo had to put that little notice at the end of M&LSS. He is owned by Square. He is third party. But he is also a Mario character.
The point is, Sakurai might ask Square permission to use Geno, as a Mario character...NOT to represent Square-Enix. They could say yes and lend the character with maybe a fee or something to Nintendo to use.

Simply because Sakurai showed interest in the character and fan demand.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but Square Enix can't use Geno outside of a Mario game without Nintendo's permission. A third party character is more along the lines of .. "hey I own the rights to Cloud and I can do whatever I please with him without having anyone's consent".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

In the case for Geno, Square Enix would actually benefit because it's a character they haven't really used in more then a decade and is basically worthless to them because he can't legally be used outside of the context of a Mario game or a game containing Mario characters since that is a first party franchise and, as we all know, Nintendo owns the rights to the story and scenarios of all the Mario games. Also, you talk as if Geno's worth a fortune to Square Enix like Sonic is to Sega. That's laughibly false and we're all aware of that. Like I mentioned before, they let Nintendo and Alpha Dream use him with barely a hitch back in 2003 so what's different now? Geno hasn't even been a single game since then so why would his worth suddenly skyrocket? I know Nintendo and SE had bad blood during the N64 era but that's hardly the case now so I severlly doubt that SE would jack up his "rental costs" just for fun.

Add in: As far as third party characters go, Geno's basically a steal so his situation is hardly that of other third party characters. Would you like to compare Cloud or Sora's worth and what their "rental" costs would probably be compared to Geno's?

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Yeah but Square Enix can't use Geno outside of a Mario game without Nintendo's permission. A third party character is more along the lines of .. "hey I own the rights to Cloud and I can do whatever I please with him without having anyone's consent".
Which is not the case for Geno and SE.

Well, if Square Enix doesn't care about Geno then why the hell would they care if Sakurai wanted to add Geno to Brawl? Your argument is a giant contradiction with partial facts and barely any evidence to back it up. You aren't Sakurai and I doubt you're even acquainted to him. "Sakurai would do this for sure! Why would Sakurai say that, he definitely wouldn't! Look at me guys, Sakurai and I are buddies! I know everything!":ohwell:

Whats wrong with the fans wanting Geno? Hmm? If any other Square Enix character was requested NEARLY as much as Geno and received NEARLY as much recognition from Sakurai, your argument might hold up a bit more than it does.. I mean doesn't.. If Geno is highly requested and Sakurai notes that, then what do you want us to do about it? You can't blame the fans for wanting a character.. you'd be a hypocrite. Smash Bros isn't about who is super popular and who has the most games and who has the largest fan bases.. my god.. I didn't even know who the Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, Lucas, Roy and Marth were until I played Melee and started watching updates on the Smash Bros Dojo.

1) You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Do you know who Rareware is? Did you know that for years they developed most of the Donkey Kong content you see today? Guess what! Nintendo didn't create it! Rareware did! Oh, but Nintendo owns the rights to Donkey Kong and everything affiliated to it.. I'm so STUPID... oh man, wow.. I can't believe it.. wait.. whats that? In the Melee instruction manual there is credit given to Rareware for the material they created that was used for Melee?! No way! Nintendo paid Rareware!? Oh yeah, I forgot, they didn't.. they just gave credit to Rareware who is a fourth party company now. Don't think for one moment that it would be any different in Brawl. Rareware holds most of the intellectual property to Donkey Kong's content and Nintendo MUST credit Rareware for the material they created even if they don't own half of a fraction of Donkey Kong. Thats the way it is. Geno is most likely in the same situation.

2) So.. next time you and Sakurai are hanging out, why don't you confirm Geno's status for us?

3) I don't have a clue how that has any relevance to Geno's inclusion in Brawl...
1. Because *gasp* if they're gonna be in, they want to use someone they care about! Not some random character they made ten years ago. God forbid they want to use someone from one of THEIR franchises, and I doubt SE really cares about pleasing Nintendo fanboys.

2. Ugh. This is probably the stupidest argument for Geno - "just because he's not a major character doesn't exclude him - look at Ice Climbers!" Geno would be the Square Enix representative, which means that he'd be representing one of the biggest Japanese third party companies ever. Ice Climbers get in because there's more open spots for Nintendo characters than third parties - as well as being an NES launch game and a unique character. Lucas is the star of the latest Mother game, a series which Sakurai enjoys, and a series with a director that he is friends with. Game & Watch is one of Nintendo's earliest characters, before even Mario, and the mascot of all G&W systems and games. Pit is the star of an early and well-received game, and a game which Sakurai likes. On top of that, he was widely requested in the SSBM poll (and let me guess, you'll complain about me using a Nintendo character's poll placing while denouncing your use of a third party character's poll placing over other third parties). Roy was put in for advertising purposes, and because Sakurai was cloning Marth anyway. And Marth, he's the mascot of a fairly big franchise in Japan, appearing in two games and in an upcoming third game. They didn't pick obscure characters "just because". They picked them because they had importance to Nintendo history. Geno has no importance to either Nintendo history or Square Enix history - a foot note at best.

3. They weren't as widely requested because the idea of playable third parties wasn't even in consideration by the people answering the poll! And on top of that, it's Nintendo fans on a Nintendo web site which caters to them answering a poll, not knowing that third parties would be in Brawl! That's like polling Al-Qaeda on Women's Rights, and then arguing that people generally detest them. It's a rigged deck - fans of Square Enix games weren't polled, only Nintendo fans. And even if they were, they were not led to believe that a character with no Nintendo connection could be in. How is it logical to say that Geno beat all the Square Enix characters on a poll they weren't even in?

4. Um, dude? It doesn't say that Geno's design is credited to SE. It specifically states that GENO is COPYRIGHT SQUARE ENIX. In simpler terms, they own Geno. Rare is credited for creating Donkey Kong's design, but at no point do they own the copyright for the design. Square Enix, however, DOES own the copyright for Geno. Nintendo owns every piece of content Rare created for DKC.

5. Sure. And next time you're hanging out with him, ask him how his Geno crusade is going? Since you all seem so certain that Sakurai cares a great deal about him being in Brawl, so much as to threaten SE with exclusion from the game if they don't have this irrelevant character represent them.

Snake and Sonic aren't on the poll, because they're third party characters. Since there are no other 3rd Party characters, oher than the complicated situation of Geno, we can only assume that Geno is 2nd Party.
The whole ARGUMENT about this poll was that because Geno beat every SE character, he's the best choice. Now you're saying that third parties weren't even included? Please, please stop flip flopping with this pathetic argument.

Also, I didn't know that Nintendo stating that Geno was not theirs, specifically stating that they didn't own Geno and that SE did, qualified him as 2nd party.

Your entire arguement is based solely on what you think they should do based on your own bias or assuming everything is based on advertising, which if they developers really cared enough about they would have approached Sakurai. Geno is not fully 3rd party and counts as a Mario representative character
I never once said they cared enough to approach them. If they were approached, they would want someone they care about. Why would Geno get in over someone that's actually significant and well-known to a massive group of people?

I find itfunny that Nintendo All stars means you mst have been on a Nintendo Game

Cause Roy who got his game released after Melee was considered a All Star! .../sarcasm

Geno 4 Brawl!
Roy was put in months before with the intent of advertising an upcoming game.

Why would Geno be in? He's not retro, he's not current, he's not an All Star, he doesn't have a large library of games that he's been in, he doesn't have a library of games he's been in, he has like 1/16 of a bookshelf of the games he's been in. The only reasoning provided for Geno being in is "he was on the poll!"

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Alpha Dreams is second party to nintendo they were able to use a third party character in the 1st party game, I see no problem for Geno to be in if S/E is given Credit.

Fans are happy, Sakurai provides fan service, haters are pissed, everyone wins...oh wait...

Hint: There's a reason why Nintendo's never stated that they own Geno or any part of him, and why they've said Square Enix owns the copyright for Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hint: There's a reason why Nintendo's never stated that they own Geno or any part of him, and why they've said Square Enix owns the copyright for Geno.
They didn't say they specifically owned Mario or any other character in the game either...what's your point...

Edit: The way I see it, the credit was just thanking Square for letting them use the character.

They didn't say they specifically owned Mario or any other character in the game either...what's your point...
They specifically stated that the copyright over Geno disregards the "all copyrights for game, scenario, music, and program are reserved for Nintendo", meaning that the copyright is NOT reserved for Nintendo.

Do you understand basic copyright law? It's written there in simple English.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They specifically stated that the copyright over Geno disregards the "all copyrights for game, scenario, music, and program are reserved for Nintendo", meaning that the copyright is NOT reserved for Nintendo.

The thing is, the credit thing, it was just thanking Square and saying they put Geno in under the permission of Square, since they created him.

That doesn't have anything to do with how much control Nintendo has over him...

Also, I'm convinced your nothing but a troll

and BTW: That was my point

RegalBuster

Smash Lord

If "all copyrights for game, scenario, music, and program are reserved for Nintendo" is in then Genos Nintendo's so you basically went and made your argument null.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The thing is, the credit thing, it was just thanking Square and saying they put Geno in under the permission of Square, since they created him.

No, he's the one here who's right. They specifically said that everything in the game was legally there's with the exception of Geno. Unless specified in the special thanks area, the part in question was not a expresion of gratitude to SE but rather legal clarification. :O

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If "all copyrights for game, scenario, music, and program are reserved for Nintendo" is in then Genos Nintendo's so you basically went and made your argument null.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say actually,

I don't know why I don't type it out bluntly

They aren't crediting Square, they're stating who owns Geno!

They say that the copyright over Geno disregards Nintendo's copyright over all content in M&L, which means that Nintendo does not own the copyright! They went out of their way to say that SE OWNS him. They didn't credit SE for making him, they were doing what was required by law. Sure, they had a choice - include SE's copyright ownership of Geno, or get sued. Conker was also created by Rare for Nintendo, but guess what console he's on now?

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
1. Because *gasp* if they're gonna be in, they want to use someone they care about! Not some random character they made ten years ago. God forbid they want to use someone from one of THEIR franchises, and I doubt SE really cares about pleasing Nintendo fanboys.

2. Ugh. This is probably the stupidest argument for Geno - "just because he's not a major character doesn't exclude him - look at Ice Climbers!" Geno would be the Square Enix representative, which means that he'd be representing one of the biggest Japanese third party companies ever. Ice Climbers get in because there's more open spots for Nintendo characters than third parties - as well as being an NES launch game and a unique character. Lucas is the star of the latest Mother game, a series which Sakurai enjoys, and a series with a director that he is friends with. Game & Watch is one of Nintendo's earliest characters, before even Mario, and the mascot of all G&W systems and games. Pit is the star of an early and well-received game, and a game which Sakurai likes. On top of that, he was widely requested in the SSBM poll (and let me guess, you'll complain about me using a Nintendo character's poll placing while denouncing your use of a third party character's poll placing over other third parties). Roy was put in for advertising purposes, and because Sakurai was cloning Marth anyway. And Marth, he's the mascot of a fairly big franchise in Japan, appearing in two games and in an upcoming third game. They didn't pick obscure characters "just because". They picked them because they had importance to Nintendo history. Geno has no importance to either Nintendo history or Square Enix history - a foot note at best.

3. They weren't as widely requested because the idea of playable third parties wasn't even in consideration by the people answering the poll! And on top of that, it's Nintendo fans on a Nintendo web site which caters to them answering a poll, not knowing that third parties would be in Brawl! That's like polling Al-Qaeda on Women's Rights, and then arguing that people generally detest them. It's a rigged deck - fans of Square Enix games weren't polled, only Nintendo fans. And even if they were, they were not led to believe that a character with no Nintendo connection could be in. How is it logical to say that Geno beat all the Square Enix characters on a poll they weren't even in?

4. Um, dude? It doesn't say that Geno's design is credited to SE. It specifically states that GENO is COPYRIGHT SQUARE ENIX. In simpler terms, they own Geno. Rare is credited for creating Donkey Kong's design, but at no point do they own the copyright for the design. Square Enix, however, DOES own the copyright for Geno. Nintendo owns every piece of content Rare created for DKC.

5. Sure. And next time you're hanging out with him, ask him how his Geno crusade is going? Since you all seem so certain that Sakurai cares a great deal about him being in Brawl, so much as to threaten SE with exclusion from the game if they don't have this irrelevant character represent them.
1) You're still "trying" to convince us.. wonderful. Wake up "dude". This is a Nintendo fighter. There will be Nintendo bias. Nobody is saying that Cloud or Crono or any other Square Enix character is less popular than Geno. We all know that. Square Enix developed a MARIO game, which is owned by NINTENDO with characters THEY CREATED for that MARIO game. Who is better to represent Square Enix in Brawl than Geno? Their very own Mario character. Any other Square Enix character wouldn't make any sense..

2) The second point you made was absolutely awful. You're kidding right? Geno is the first "third party Mario character (which is technically a second party character)" ever. Aside from that, Super Mario RPG was a very well received game because of everything it had to it. It was the first time Peach used her frying pan.. hmm looks familiar, the first Mario game that Link/Samus made a cameo and a small reference to Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-zero etc. By the way, the plot of Super Mario RPG wouldn't work without Geno.. like Mario and his allies could have fixed the Star Road without the help of Geno.. most importantly this was the first Mario RPG ever and the last Mario game on the SNES! Of course its important!

3) Maybe because Sakurai never intended on adding a ton of third party characters in the first place? Again.. Nintendo fighter = Nintendo bias. By the way.. why wouldn't a Nintendo game be on a Nintendo site anyways.. uhh.. Nintendo is making the game and not Square Enix...? I know, next time we we hear about a Mario game, lets consult Capcom fans...

4) Nintendo can not be credited for that which they did not create. Rareware created a boat load of Donkey Kong stuff in the past. Also, read up on copyrights in joint custody situations before you go around calling people out. Geno cannot be used out of a Mario game. Hmm.. if Square Enix owns the rights to Geno, shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever they wish with him?

5) I... don't really know what you're talking about.. but ok I guess. I never claimed I knew Sakurai personally and I haven't spoken for him.. I don't get your point. :ohwell:

Also, just because they're on the SNES doesn't make them retro. My Grandma is not retro, she's old. But at least she's relevant, and at least people still care about her, unlike the hunk-of-junk Geno.

Being old =/= being retro, and you're totally missing the POINT. A retro third party is completely useless, because it's not important to Nintendo history, only to the third party's. And in this case, it's a retro supporting main character with one role in one game. SE would want to be represented by Slime or Moogle or Crono or a Mana character before a forgotten one.

Top Bottom