• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh. My. GOD.

ENOUGH DEMO MATERIAL ALREADY!!! For crying out loud, Sakurai! We already saw this ****! We understand if you like it, but come ON! Give us something NEW!
At least their getting them out of the way (not that it's much consolation or anything)... It's more then obvious that he's stalling for time or avoiding trying to steal Super Mario Galaxy's thunder. Wendesday are the days that almost always determine how good the week will be as a whole so hopefully Sakurai won't bore us with something obnoxiously obvious...

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Either on Wedsnesday, ( When Sonic, Diddy, Meta-Knight, Wario and Ike got updated), Thursday ( King Dedede and ZSS) or Friday ( Snake and Pit). One of those days a character has to come, let it be Geno!

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I think we won't get any new characters for a whole month. the quality of the updates just increasingly became more boring and obvious than ever. I think he's stalling until December. he's going to reveal more about the gameplay than he will anything else.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
He's another character I would love to see in the game, but he isn't going to be in there.

Nintendo for some reason hates Super Mario RPG. I mean it's considered one of the greatest games of all time, yet they refuse to make a sequel to it, even though it would sell like hot cakes.

I'm not sure which is less likely to happen in the futre, an Earthbound sequel or a sequel to this game.

There is a difference between Geno and Ice Climbers unfortunately. Ice Climbers were the main person/people in the game. Geno was a minor/mid-importance character. But the game wasn't based around him. That really hurts his chances.

I know, I know, Pichu and Falco, but Pichu was the devolved version of Pikachu, and at the time Melee was made, Falco was supposed to get his own game. All other characters I believe are major parts of their games' stories. (I'm referencing Melee here.)

*sigh* We alread have those answered, please come back after you've read the first page or this...

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/The_♥♪!?_Alliance

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Im going to stop looking at the dojo. **** the boring **** we already know.

OKV Fine if tomorrows sucks then Ill stop looking at it for a while, till December.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
As much as the updates have been lame, I'm still going to keep checking the updates.

Who knows . . . Maybe Sakurai wants to surprise us all . . . Get us frustrated with the stuff we already know . . . Then BAM! Geno confirmed and playable. ;)

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
I've seen the enlarged picture before and I don't think that it is Geno giving the finger. I think he just has one of them up.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
The only thing I require of Geno is him having a black color alt, like most of the SSBB characters have already.

KritikalError

Smash Apprentice
Character Taunts. Well, I suppose thats cool...

Hey guys, I prettymuch skipped off of class today to check the Brawl update, hoping it were Geno...

I know I'm going off topic, but is there anyone else who's as excited as me becaus eof link's taunts? Epic taunts are epic. >.<

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm hoping Geno makes it in. and for character updates he's my second most wanted.

I'm really curious as to what he'd look like in the game.

KritikalError

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Geno makes it in. and for character updates he's my second most wanted.

I'm really curious as to what he'd look like in the game.
ME TOO!!

It's been so long since we seen him, man. Well, Superstar Saga but that was 2D xD. The last 3D we seen fo him was prettymuch the last we seen of him.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord

I made a gimp sketch of his possibly current look..of his head so far. I'll continue the rest to bust, then to waist, finally down to shoes. Only if everyone thinks it looks good.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Him saying "Thank you"

then him saying "I serve...a higher authority" In the battel results screen, kinda like MK's "Victory...is my destiny"

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
him saying "I serve...a higher authority" In the battel results screen, kinda like MK's "Victory...is my destiny"
dude...i was thinking the exact same thing.

and of course one of his taunts would be the nod. maybe another taunt would have him looking for something in his hat, or drinking a Kero Kero Cola.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
can i be in the geno alliance thing??? what do i have to be in it does everymember have to like beat me up in order to get in, like in a gang???

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
can i be in the geno alliance thing??? what do i have to be in it does everymember have to like beat me up in order to get in, like in a gang???
First off, you get rid of the Mallow avatar since we hate Mallow here, and replace it with a Geno one.

J/k

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Yeah... that would be cool... wait since SE has the rights to Geno would that make him 3rd Party?
It's actually more complicated than that. Here's a good look into the situation, ripped from Fatmanice's "Geno of Star Heaven" thread on Nsider2:

"The legal situation surrounding Geno (and Vaati) is not the same as Sonic and Megaman. Yes, Geno is third party and owned by Square Enix but Nintendo really has more say in the character. Why? Because Geno was in a Mario game (a first party franchise owned by Nintendo) that makes him a Mario character. There's no getting around that. Because of this, Square Enix cannot legally use him outside of this context because (as the copyright says at the end of all Mario games) Nintendo owns all the scenarios that occur in the Mario games. Geno was part of the story in Super Mario RPG thus pulling him into the scenario AKA the story and plot points of the game. My point was proved both during the offical Melee and Brawl polls when Geno was, despite his legal situation, categorized as a Mario character and seperated from the other third party characters."

"Now that is cleared up, let me explain things further. Because Geno is a Mario character, Square Enix cannont legally refuse Nintendo the rights to him if they wish to use them nor use him outside the context of a Mario game unless Nintendo is involved with the project. In the end, Nintendo basically controls the situation surrounding him and that makes Geno pretty much worthless to Square Enix. For further proof of this, ask yourself this: Why was Geno in a Mario game that Square Enix played no part in developing? Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga was developed by Nintendo and Alpha Dream. It is even questionable whether or not Square Enix recieved some of the profits based on Geno's inclusion in the game."

"Now let's compare Geno with Sonic. Sonic makes millions of dollars for Sega every year and is their biggest icon. Geno is a character that was playable in one game that sold about 2 million copies worldwide more then a decade ago and has basically been sitting in a filing cabinet since 2003. See a difference? I certainly do."

"So there you have it. Geno's legal situation laid out in black and white. Yes, Nintendo will still have to get permission to use him and probably have to pay a minor fee (would you like to compare the "rental" cost of Sonic's or Megaman's copyrights to Geno's?) for him but, in the end, Geno is very, very different from other third party characters."

hmmm, we need a link to that thread on the front page

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why doesn't square just sell the rights of Geno and Mallow to Nintendo, not like Square is using them for anything? They may have just for brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's actually more complicated than that. Here's a good look into the situation, ripped from Fatmanice's "Geno of Star Heaven" thread on Nsider2:

"The legal situation surrounding Geno (and Vaati) is not the same as Sonic and Megaman. Yes, Geno is third party and owned by Square Enix but Nintendo really has more say in the character. Why? Because Geno was in a Mario game (a first party franchise owned by Nintendo) that makes him a Mario character. There's no getting around that. Because of this, Square Enix cannot legally use him outside of this context because (as the copyright says at the end of all Mario games) Nintendo owns all the scenarios that occur in the Mario games. Geno was part of the story in Super Mario RPG thus pulling him into the scenario AKA the story and plot points of the game. My point was proved both during the offical Melee and Brawl polls when Geno was, despite his legal situation, categorized as a Mario character and seperated from the other third party characters."

"Now that is cleared up, let me explain things further. Because Geno is a Mario character, Square Enix cannont legally refuse Nintendo the rights to him if they wish to use them nor use him outside the context of a Mario game unless Nintendo is involved with the project. In the end, Nintendo basically controls the situation surrounding him and that makes Geno pretty much worthless to Square Enix. For further proof of this, ask yourself this: Why was Geno in a Mario game that Square Enix played no part in developing? Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga was developed by Nintendo and Alpha Dream. It is even questionable whether or not Square Enix recieved some of the profits based on Geno's inclusion in the game."

"Now let's compare Geno with Sonic. Sonic makes millions of dollars for Sega every year and is their biggest icon. Geno is a character that was playable in one game that sold about 2 million copies worldwide more then a decade ago and has basically been sitting in a filing cabinet since 2003. See a difference? I certainly do."

"So there you have it. Geno's legal situation laid out in black and white. Yes, Nintendo will still have to get permission to use him and probably have to pay a minor fee (would you like to compare the "rental" cost of Sonic's or Megaman's copyrights to Geno's?) for him but, in the end, Geno is very, very different from other third party characters."

Actually they could use Geno as long as no other Mario trademark appears in the game. Basically they would have to make a new story where he is outside the Mario Universe going to another world. Square would be better off selling Geno and Mallow to Nintendo and trying to get a profit from that IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually they could use Geno as long as no other Mario trademark appears in the game. Basically they would have to make a new story where he is outside the Mario Universe going to another world. Square would be better off selling Geno and Mallow to Nintendo and trying to get a profit from that IMO.
They were just biding their time, knowing this day would come...

...They knew Brawl would come and the day would be theirs!!!

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord

Fatman said it himself. Read the Red, that means he's third party. If they did it for Sonic, they'd do the same for Geno, which is a major contradiction.

IE I don't have a movie that I want to watch(Movies I own are 1st and 2nd partiers) so I go to Blockbusters. I rent a Movie that I do not own (The Third Party character)rights to, and there you go.
Seems to me that somebody doesn't know that Nintendo doesn't make Brawl. They publish it. WHy would they buy two character for one game the **** corporation doesn't make?

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
At this point I think that Geno and Mallow would be trash to Square. Simply because I don't see how Geno and Mallow could be put into a game over their own without the use of Mario Characters.

If Sakurai doesn't use them then they are just going to rot and... well... dissipate? Is that what clouds do over time? >_>

Top Bottom