• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

You can space Bair or BPG in place of lasers, and roll away in place of phantasm escape. Lasers are useless most of the time anyway if Wario starts camping. Without phantasm you do lose a good cross over, but I've not had much difficulty with that if Wario decides to jump high enough you can run under him and cover your back with Bair.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
By screwing I mean that you can't IAP unless you're at some very specific spots (and I'm not even talking about IAP from the ledge).

But if you prefer that stage over things like SV, well good for you.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBflVSijjUc
Could you crituque my friends falco hes trying to get better and needs to know what he's doing wrong. You dont have to watch all the videos maybe the first 3.

@DR3W: You profile Pic is sooooo legit.
Tell your friend to stop rolling so much in kill %'s.

Tell him to practice his AT's and to practice moving around the stage.

Tedium

Smash Cadet
I've watched about 15 minutes and have yet to see a nair. also, work on the boost grab so he can grab release snake more

I've been thinking about that. Is there much incentive to use Nair over his other aerials?

I'm convinced that Bair is Falco's best kill move, even over usmash. You might stale it, but Falco is great at doing chip damage. Simply get a grab for some pummels or do a few jabs and lasers and you have an instantly fresh move again. Not many characters can do that easily.

Nair can be DIed and lead to some occasional punishment epically since the move lasts so dang long and has no auto-cancel frames. Bair on the other hand only relies upon hitting your opponent once with it's long lasting hitbox for doing decent damage and even if you cannot lead into something else, getting your opponent offstage in the air is almost as good. It even auto cancels.

Uair is for what? Only when you cannot reach with his other aerials. Dair is great due to the spike and set-ups incredibly nicely for attack chains.

Fair sucks, no redeeming that.

Tedium

Smash Cadet
nair is good for nair grabbing and poking people on platforms. Also it's a good move for getting back on the stage imo. i think it's just a good move overall. and troll harder BleachigoZX

Tedium

Smash Cadet
and i don't think nair lasts too long if you fast fall it. last just as long as anything else. Uair can be used after a phantasm hit(bair can work just as well if not better) and i use it when my opponent is at a high percent and is on a high platform like the top platform in BF. poke in real quick. if it hits it can kill. very situational move though

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Nair to Uptilt is cool.

Last hit of Nair (generally FF'd) to Jab to Side B / Laser Lock / Dash Attack is cool. I once hit a Shiek off a platform with that last hit of Nair and it immediately led into a Laser Lock (at around 0 too lol)

UpAir is the centerpiece on how you'll bait that airdodge and Bair. You don't have to hit with UpAir. Just as long as you succeed in frame trapping your opponent so you can get that Bair in. I definitely agree that Bair is Falco's best kill move, UpSmash oos being 2nd.

Full hop Fair isn't horrible, but it's situational. Pretty much the entire cast can hit out of Fair with some move lol... least I think so.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The advantage to Fair is that it's a fairly bad move (not horrendous) that is outclassed by Falco's entire moveset and EVERYONE knows it. Psychological, yo.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Fair beats airdoges and has pretty good range for not being turned around.

I'm not saying use it over other moves, but isn't bad. Tedium is bad.

And so is Bloodcross. He watches the Jersey Shore. He tells me about it every night when he tries to hit me up for tips on how to play Falco and be awesome.

:phone:

edit: its actually bad cuz I realized that empty jumping for a mix up > fair and is only useful for that frame trap.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ryker that comic is lol.

I like how we ignore the one person that asked for critiques rofl

I ****ing give up, I can't critique Falcos anymore, there's too much wrong with everybody.

swab

Smash Rookie
So I'm trying to improve, so can someone critique my Falco? Here are some vids from yesterdays (10/8/11) tourney

me vs WTP (watch match 1 only):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIycj_Sbg5Q

me vs Zyth (watch match 1 only):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VM5GJy2PR4

Maybe try and use your lasers more effectively, I didn't see you doing SH Double lasers correctly, but maybe that was just nerve, take some time to practice those.
Your recovery was... horrible. Don't always try to hit the edgeguarding Snake with your phantasm, mix it up a little bit more.

Need a critique, this is my first time maining falco in a tournament but I've dabbled with him on wifi/friendlys. Any advice you guys could offer would be very appreciated as I've found falco to be the funnest character I've ever used in this game so please, tear me a new one. I wanna drop some habits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQd3algvKs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Just some things I noticed:

Pay more attention to getting on the stage with phantasm. There were too many times in that match where you literally ended up right at Marth's feet. The ledge is always an option to safely phantasm too unless you know the person could possibly edge hog you.

Also, since I have seen a lot of cases where people really like to use the same ledge options; Falco has a ton of options for getting off the ledge. None of them are extremely good, but mix-up is important. You are invincible the entire time you are standing up from the ledge except for 2 frames (4 frame over 100%) at end of the animation. After that you can shield, spot dodge, attack, etc. Getting off the ledge with a 2nd jump double laser low to the stage is easily executable on many stages and will cover you getting onto the ledge if someone is not right on the ledge. Then, you have the regular stuff like a roll or get-up attack or get-up jump.

You used Usmash as a punishing move, I feel, too many times. There were areas I would say you used it correctly. As in the risk for using it wasn't too great such as when Marth might have been on a platform or you managed to laser in air, yet other times you did it when he was not in either condition and could shield it. Simply a lesson on risk vs reward scenarios.

Also, Falco's Usmash doesn't kill fresh on the lightest characters (given momentum cancel and survival DI) until rough ~115% The heavier characters can live up to around 155%. So on someone like marth who would die to usmash at ~130% on most stages will live a lot longer with even a partially decayed Usmash.

You seemed to get SHDL at the proper heights much more consistently than you did with SHL. But you still need to work on both. I'd say practice some heavy camping where you try to get both SHL and SHDL at the proper heights and mix-up using both to make sure you can switch back and forth between them both without too much difficulty.

I saw a lot of rolling behind Marth... I'm not going to say its bad to do that as rolling behind every once in a while is a good mix-up. But, you did do it a lot when you were stuck in shield. For example, I saw a at times in the last match and stock where you would approach with shield, but you stopped basically at Marth's tipper range. Marth can poke and space your shield without worrying about getting punished. By throwing out grabs or rolling behind, you opened yourself up for attack when you were at tipper range.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Need a critique, this is my first time maining falco in a tournament but I've dabbled with him on wifi/friendlys. Any advice you guys could offer would be very appreciated as I've found falco to be the funnest character I've ever used in this game so please, tear me a new one. I wanna drop some habits.

I would critique but when i saw the tupac tag i felt insulted and closed the vid after a minute of watching.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132

I would say for starters you roll way too much. This particular opponent didn't punish it well most of the time but people will when they see that. Also be careful when you use Fsmash. Seems like you like that move a lot in KO %'s. Around 3:30, be mindful about doing the phantasm on stage. It's easy to punish. I liked the BDACUS at 6:58. At 7:50 you used reflector on the ground. The ending lag on that move got you hit. If you wanna use that move, usually it's better to short hop.

zmx

Smash Lord
I would say for starters you roll way too much. This particular opponent didn't punish it well most of the time but people will when they see that. Also be careful when you use Fsmash. Seems like you like that move a lot in KO %'s. Around 3:30, be mindful about doing the phantasm on stage. It's easy to punish. I liked the BDACUS at 6:58. At 7:50 you used reflector on the ground. The ending lag on that move got you hit. If you wanna use that move, usually it's better to short hop.
I second all of this and would also like to add that using your kill moves that much that early is not a good idea (you did too many upsmashes when they weren't needed). They become too stale when you actually need them to kill and if your opponent had better DI you would have had a LOT of trouble killing.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Around 1:40 you made a bad approach (Don't use his dash attack much ever unless its to do the gatling combo) and it cost you your stock. A little before that I saw reflector being used way too much. Also, I know this can be tough to do on Pokemon Stadium (so that may be the only reason you didn't do it) but you have to mix things up on the ledge a bit more. Phantasm on stage is so easily punished. I also saw you ground laser a bit which has too much ending lag and is almost never a good idea. Careful about ledge guarding with fsmash.

As for good things I saw the grab release on Snake at the beginning was executed well. That fsmash was a good punish towards the end even though I wouldn't recommend it all that often. I also like the laser you squeezed in there at 3:07 when trying to recover to put pressure on him. You followed it up though with a phantasm on stage when a normal getup would have put you in better position right then.

Overall, not too bad for a un-serious match, but work on the spacing and don't dash attack.

Top Bottom