• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Orion*

Smash Researcher
you double jump at bad times when you're recovering
side b onto the stage to much
tornado ***** you to hard when you're on the ledge (although I admit dealing with this is pretty hard)
You need to get more grabs

IMO,

Other than that, I would really say you need to work on your baiting. Falco is really a bait oriented character, because he has the right punishes just not means to fish for them. You really allowed me to play "my game" because you never forced me to commit.

I don't really know why I'm telling you how to beat me, but yeah in general that's all I have to say ;)

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
MARLX, you look like you need better control of your character. That D3 wasn't even good. There were times where you either did the wrong move or made the wrong punish. You did a lot of unnecessary Usmashes and a lot of unnecessary rolls, too. When fighting D3, just laser him all day. He has no answer to that except either Side step or try to run towards you and either get a grab or a Bair on you. Which is your cue to side b or airdodge behind him. Or some kind of mixup. Either way, I'm on limited time, so I'll give you a more in-depth critique when I get back home.
Bro just to let you know that now i am 100% better than the video I posted thats when i just learned falco's combos and moves (dacus, Bdacus).

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
thx Orion ^^
I'll try to play a bit more patient if I have to play Staco in bracket this weekend :p

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Bro just to let you know that now i am 100% better than the video I posted thats when i just learned falco's combos and moves (dacus, Bdacus).
I tried to respond to your PM but it said you don't receive PM's... Fix that???

Or aim me

PokeOrion@aol

msn

PokeOrion@msn

thx Orion ^^
I'll try to play a bit more patient if I have to play Staco in bracket this weekend :p
No problem. Honestly, at some point in july if you want to even come over for a few days // weekend and I'll show you everything I know.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Orion don't reply to Marlx.
Just don't try.

@Blub : were you tired/stressed ? Because that's the main feeling I get of this set.

Not enough jabs/Ftilts
Unsafe follow ups (like that/those Bairs after the phantasm that got Dair'd by MK)
Missed inputs (Standing Dsmashes = failed Dacuses ?)
Lack of mixup in the recovery (I know Firebird isn't a good option but at sometimes like 9.40 it could have put you in a better position)

Other than that what Orion said.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
1) lack of mixups on recovery (always side b), fire bird is good as well. e.g. at 6:55 as orion did a nado on stage to try and catch you, you could have used firebird then to the edge. Heck even if you did use firebird onto the stage it would be slower and u wouldnt take as much damage as your not flying straight into it just as you would with side b.

Also you have this habit of rolling when u side b/bdacus to the left and you hit their sheild and im loving the fact that orion noticed this and punished e.g. 2:35 <3 orion xD (too many 'ands').

2) trust your out of shield options, if a mk does a dash attack and ends up behind you, whats wrong with doing a ftilt/grab/jab out of shield behind you? (this also depends on frame data and spacing but i wont go into that). Just dont go for erm FULLHOP DAIRS again xD

3) powershield nado all the time, i can tell you that you are definetly pressing your sheild button a tad early before the nado came to you, aim to powersheild it, small things make a big difference.

4) Work on punishing his glide abit more, nair is good for this sometimes as well.

5)
Your so dope blub

6)
Your so dope orion

7) oh yeah before i forget, u can try aiming your phantasm for the top section of his nado to beat it

just a few things i saw xD

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
@Orion: That'd be cool, since there's vacation now. Could I also take quik and Muka with me? I'll ask them this weekend then if they'd want to go.

@tele: not really, I just was a bit irritated because Orion played so different than all the other mks I played so far.

@Kasper: I've been implementing a few things you said in the past days, especially punishing shuttle loop oos with nair and better oos options in general. Also getting out of nado with that technique Tommy_G mentioned a while back seems to work quite well (pressing up in a specific rhythm then popping out above and directly nairing). I should really mix up my recovery a bit ^^
What would be the reward for powershielding nado? Also I noticed, I could've spotdodge near the end of nado and punished with grab or whatever.

Thx for the critique :)

Kasper!

Smash Lord
@Kasper: I've been implementing a few things you said in the past days, especially punishing shuttle loop oos with nair and better oos options in general. Also getting out of nado with that technique Tommy_G mentioned a while back seems to work quite well (pressing up in a specific rhythm then popping out above and directly nairing). I should really mix up my recovery a bit ^^
What would be the reward for powershielding nado? Also I noticed, I could've spotdodge near the end of nado and punished with grab or whatever.

Thx for the critique :)
Thats good and the reward is that you will still have a shield xD (In all seriousness, powershielding nado allows your shield to last longer against nado pressure), and yeah you can spotdodge although u gotta watch mk's height and spacing when he does it.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
SPOTDODGE FEVER SON

Uh jab and ftilt more instead of spotdodging and dumb campin
Stop rushing in lol I see you goin for the chaingrab (that he can and did eventually escape)

That is all. GG
uh... dumb campin? Okay, how am I ""dumb camping"? Secondly how are you going to tell me to stop camping AND tell me to stop rushing in <_<... I do see what you're getting at with the spotdodging and the going for the grab though. thanks

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
LOL I'm sorry I don't even know what I was thinking when I said that. My bad.

I meant to say like just double lasering when he crawled. You could very well just walk up and jab n read the roll or shield cause that's what Snakes usually do after ducking.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
LOL I'm sorry I don't even know what I was thinking when I said that. My bad.

I meant to say like just double lasering when he crawled. You could very well just walk up and jab n read the roll or shield cause that's what Snakes usually do after ducking.
oh i see. thanks. but isnt falcos spotdodge like amazing? i do know its punishable but its a really solid choice if u read the ftilts and stuff :D

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
oh i see. thanks. but isnt falcos spotdodge like amazing? i do know its punishable but its a really solid choice if u read the ftilts and stuff :D
I guess it's amazing since that's what everyone says.
Idk personally how it ranks compared to other charachers.
But don't get used to it lol

Personally if I can read a ftilt I like to ftilt or sometimes out of shield dair. It gets **** done so it must be a decent option :awesome:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Falco's spotdodge is said good because he's one of the 5 characters that have a 22 frames long spotdodge (with invi frames being on 2-20 and other characters mostly having a 25 frames long spotdodge).

That means that if you buffer spotdodge into spotdodge into spotdodge etc. you only have 4 frames of vulnerability, which means that only lingering/fast multihit hit boxes can touch you

Now about your vid Jbrandew, I get understand why Drew said "dumb camping". There were 2 things that I felt was off in your camping :
-SHDLing when Snake was far away and crouching
-SHDLing when Snake was close enough to dash attack under your first laser.

The first one is bad because it doesn't change the status quo so there's no reason Snake would ever stop crouching, or even approach you. To make him approach you can ledge run double laser (since when well timed it hits a crouching Snake), approach and weave in and out of his "dash attack punition" zone while mixing your SHDLs with empty SHs or simply taunt.

The second is bad, well, because it gets you punished a good amount of times lol, like the first time in match 1 where you trade 21% for 3 %, not a good deal if you want my opinion.

Now on more general advices I'd say just practice on spacing your moves better (you master lasers well but everything else needs more experience) and be careful about your CQC zones. Like either stay in your grab range or at your maximum Ftilt range, but not in between. And don't ever approach Snake's Utilt range when you're at KO percent.

PS : tell False to Utilt you out of Dthrow, please.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Falco's spotdodge is said good because he's one of the 5 characters that have a 22 frames long spotdodge (with invi frames being on 2-20 and other characters mostly having a 25 frames long spotdodge).

That means that if you buffer spotdodge into spotdodge into spotdodge etc. you only have 4 frames of vulnerability, which means that only lingering/fast multihit hit boxes can touch you

Now about your vid Jbrandew, I get understand why Drew said "dumb camping". There were 2 things that I felt was off in your camping :
-SHDLing when Snake was far away and crouching
-SHDLing when Snake was close enough to dash attack under your first laser.

The first one is bad because it doesn't change the status quo so there's no reason Snake would ever stop crouching, or even approach you. To make him approach you can ledge run double laser (since when well timed it hits a crouching Snake), approach and weave in and out of his "dash attack punition" zone while mixing your SHDLs with empty SHs or simply taunt.

The second is bad, well, because it gets you punished a good amount of times lol, like the first time in match 1 where you trade 21% for 3 %, not a good deal if you want my opinion.

Now on more general advices I'd say just practice on spacing your moves better (you master lasers well but everything else needs more experience) and be careful about your CQC zones. Like either stay in your grab range or at your maximum Ftilt range, but not in between. And don't ever approach Snake's Utilt range when you're at KO percent.

PS : tell False to Utilt you out of Dthrow, please.

thanks teluoborg

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Twinster, be careful throwing those bananas at Diddy, it'll be the death of you. Don't em unless throw they're gonna hit him or he can't get to them. Also, I noticed two different times, when you were holding a banana, your mentality changed. You were standing full screen and you weren't shooting at him, you weren't repositioning, you were just standing there. You were looking for the glidetoss->smash for a stock.

I'll give more later, but I've gotta dash for now.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Twister versing the diddy kong you need to use the bananas to your advantage. Laser correctly, and camp more. Reflect the bananas when thrown at you, don't just keep pressing down b. Jab literaly diddy kong can't do anything. Space your moves at the proper moments and thats it.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt if he DI's correctly and reacts quickly.
And if it's the full jab string, he could just Uair out of it with proper DI and timing.
No in between the jab falco can up smash, down smash, forward smash, or grab. All depends on where they DI very easy to tell. No DI just continue with the jabs.

For the Uair falco can power sheild that then go to grab or dodge, or jab again.

Top Bottom