• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Viper, go to NLL. I'll be there
Im not going to be able to make it. But i might be going to WATO not that you will be able to make.

Anyways when you go to NLL make sure you get MM's (on a recording tv or your own sd card) with Mink Vs His puff and ZSS. That way i can see how you handle the situations and i can learn from the things you do.

If you bring your own SD card and save your sets on it. You can then send them to me and i will up load them to youtube for you. I hope you take me up on my offer i enjoy watching you play.

tl;dr Get MM with mink saved for me to see.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I was going to go to that, but then my schedule got mom-*****.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Hello,

I have decided that Olimar is a lame main character and I should pick another. I have been watching a few videos on youtube and have based my play-style around them.

These are tourney matches from my local LAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8Ir7PAJt8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I don't know what I have to fix, if someone could help me that would be awesome.

Edit Fixed the second link.
I am sure you know this was a mistake but i am not sure you know who much of a mistake it was. You Droped a cg on snake that would have put him off stage. This could have led to an easy 70-80%

2. Dont approach with dacus. It is much to easy to punish and players can shield it on reaction. use it to punish landing lag or in a setup to it such as shdl to dacus

I know it looks real nice and open to hit snake when he has a nade in his hands. Just dont do it. The damage on falco is much worce then the damage you are giving sanke.

@.35 you put the snake off stage. In the situation he chose to hop back on the stage you should have been ther to punish landing with fsmash or a grab.

@.38 i see you are approaching with a bad dacus. If the sanke was a better player you would have ate an ftilt.

@.50 good use of fsmash as a spacing tool good mix up its more useful then the baords give it credit for.

@.55 try you fthrow in that situation i would pummel twice and dthrow and look for a read.

when you have sanke in the air you want to get on his a$s. get parrallel with him and try and bait out an airdodge if no dodge just bair.

Dont approach with the front hit of bair on shiled. I dont advise using the back hit unless you space very very well on shield. one thing you can do with bair approach on shield is purposly use the move right outside of the grab range while snake is in shield. if the player takes the bait and goes for the grab fsmash there face.

@1.14 you once again miss a punish on snakes landing lag you could have even grabed snake out of his up b and let him fall forceing him to die or c4 back up.

@1.18 Good Fsmash now set up for bair.

@1.23 i hope that was a bad air not an intentional fair. dont fair close to the stage. you need to fullhop if you are going to be using that move i also feel it has no use in this mu.

@1.33 you get a grab on snake and you dont pummel make sure to pummel. once you throw start to pressure him with bair. I see you try to use dacus to punish landing lag. That is a good setup you just have to excute. I dont think you should have back rolled as you could have stayed close to punish landing lag with a grab or fsmash.

@1.41 dont airdodge towards your opponent

@1.43 good shield you should have Oos upsmash for the kill.

@1.56 good bair you should be stalking snake like that almost every time. also dont fish for the kill.

@2.08 you can get another grab off and put snake off stage.

@2.25 good use of jab grab mixups

@2.41 dont fish for the kill fsmash is very punishable. yes i feel its underrated you need to stop spaming it.

@2.46 snake is in the air you need to stalk him rather then shoot him with lazors. also once he lands you jab
then you mis the free grab.

@3.16 there you are fishing for the kill again. at this point play safe take little damage put snake in the air and react accordingly.

@3.20 nice mixup good upsmash.

@3.30 you know what you did.

@3.39 you punish lading lag with fsmash good job sucks he had a nade. in that situation you should grab snake and dthrow then look for a safe follow up.

@3.50 good bairs. thats what you should be doing to pressure snake in the air.
Nice Fsmash to finish the set good read on that roll.

overall you have alot of the falco baisics down. you need to learn proper aplication of them in each specific MU. you will learn this from watching vids and expermienting in friendlys with what is working in terms of jab mix ups grabs an such. good job you will only get better from here.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Re-picking up Falco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-nxs3Q4RcM

I failed at the end because I messed up lolollol.
Dude i did not know you ever used falco i am about to go watch all of your stuff. i love your wolf cant wait to see what style you bring to falco /happy

also i dont know the pika mu and i dont feel that i am skilled enough to give you a critique but i think Choice should get in here and critique you seeing as you both have the same char set.

Choice

Smash Champion
youtube is acting up for me, but once i can view the vid i'll write something up. so far all i saw was that you shouldn't commit in your head to side b so early on, at least i'm guessing that's what happened (like on your first stock when you side b'd to pikachu and landed in front of him). especially vs a character like pikachu, you wanna make sure you don't overuse side b unless they're within the first 3rd, at least that's my opinion.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Dude i did not know you ever used falco i am about to go watch all of your stuff. i love your wolf cant wait to see what style you bring to falco /happy

also i dont know the pika mu and i dont feel that i am skilled enough to give you a critique but i think Choice should get in here and critique you seeing as you both have the same char set.
Lolol thanks =).

My Falco is just an aggro Falco lmao.
youtube is acting up for me, but once i can view the vid i'll write something up. so far all i saw was that you shouldn't commit in your head to side b so early on, at least i'm guessing that's what happened (like on your first stock when you side b'd to pikachu and landed in front of him). especially vs a character like pikachu, you wanna make sure you don't overuse side b unless they're within the first 3rd, at least that's my opinion.
Right right. I'm side b'ing less after practicing him today with another smasher. I try to side b less and walk a lot to avoid landing penalty and keep my options very open/viable.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Lolol thanks =).

My Falco is just an aggro Falco lmao.

Right right. I'm side b'ing less after practicing him today with another smasher. I try to side b less and walk a lot to avoid landing penalty and keep my options very open/viable.
Camp more. Vs Pikachu just camp and make him approach you. **** that little rat. And try and get the cg to lazer lock down(only one hit of lazer but it forces him to get up)

Choice

Smash Champion
i think he actually means the cg at the edge -> laser -> force get up. i'm pretty sure pikachu is too short to laser lock more than 1 hit normally.

Choice

Smash Champion
i guess its got something to do with when you laser pikachu after the edge cg then, but you only get one laser + forced get up out of the set up i'm talking about.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Pikachu landing on his stomach cannot get laserlocked, but Pikachu landing on his back can.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
@Seagull

Im sure you know this but that first death was totally avoidable if you werent doing tomfoolery after killing him. Also you should use more nair vs peach. And camp harder. I did like your bair walls but i'm not sure how effective those are cuz im sure she can just nair you b4 u can bair her again.

@Ares you got predictable in your recovery attempts. You also side-b for no reason when he was all the way on the other side of the stage. JUST GRAB THE LEDGE AND JUMP BACK ON. No need to side b when they are that far away. You also got punished for dairs by his dairs next time try to FF it if you notice this consistently happening cuz then he'll dair as well(according to what was happening) and then you cn punish with bair. Also more camping. Way more camping.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Thanks Kuro. I did NOT know I'd fall through Frigate if I side b'd the way I did.

The bair walling is just a Wolf habit lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thanks Kuro. I did NOT know I'd fall through Frigate if I side b'd the way I did.

The bair walling is just a Wolf habit lol.
Lol hate when stuff like that happens. Transitioning between characters feels weird for the first few matches if u use one character for most of the day then switch to someone else lol.

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
I main falco now so ima be getting some matches up here of mah falco... just letting you guys know. ROB and toon link are garbage so i decided to main falco cuz hes awesome :)

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
I main falco now so ima be getting some matches up here of mah falco... just letting you guys know. ROB and toon link are garbage so i decided to main falco cuz hes awesome :)
Good choice!

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Your side b was punished alot in the beginning of the match, but you realized it and were more careful wth it later on. You should also camp harder, there were a couple times where you were on the opposite side of the stage and just side b'ed right in front of Fox. Also sometimes your short hop single lasers came out a little too high. Aside from that, just stick to the defensive game, especially against a character that can KO early like Fox.

swordsaint

Smash Master
First game I noticed a lot of errors on the fox's part which makes it really hard to critique you 100% properly.

But yeah, stop using phantasm as a chaser as much as yuo do. You can use it (I do) but like, it was always fairly obvious how you were going to use it and when. I don't recall seeing too many cancels so you need to use them a lot more on stage for feints (especially if you've been using it as a chaser).

lots of lasers up close too. bad. especially against fox.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
I rank this 8-10

If i can get a few falcos to look over these vids and give me another perspective on them i would be grateful.

In both games i blow a commanding lead. Advice and Tips needed.

Viper :falco: Vs Trump :fox: 1
Viper :falco: Vs Trump :fox: 2
I noticed that the fox caught you in your (lag) also some of your lasers had an effect on Trump, also I can say you had decent spacing on Trump he played a little smarter, but i saw where you were going with your battle against Trump. (Gimped movie 1) Also I saw and pridicted everything you did that is why I think you lost against Trump.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If i can get a few falcos to look over these vids and give me another perspective on them i would be grateful.

In both games i blow a commanding lead. Advice and Tips needed.

Viper :falco: Vs Trump :fox: 1
Viper :falco: Vs Trump :fox: 2
Game 1 you got destroyed on your first stock because
1-you were apporaching
2-you were playing unsafe, using laggy move to approach, letting Trump punish to his heart's content

You didn't get 3 stocked because for some reason Trump stopped camping after your first stock and didn't punish your errors as well.

Game 2 was really random, you both played really unsafely and decided the outcome of the match by whose random smash would connect at ko percent first.

Imo the thing you should work on right now is zoning : basically know when and where you can use your moves and don't get hit if it misses, how to position yourself in order to threaten your opponent while still being defensive, etc.

Here, get started with that : http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=16108 (can't find the swf version).

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I noticed that the fox caught you in your (lag) also some of your lasers had an effect on Trump, also I can say you had decent spacing on Trump he played a little smarter, but i saw where you were going with your battle against Trump. (Gimped movie 1) Also I saw and pridicted everything you did that is why I think you lost against Trump.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@Seagull :
round 1
-baw 14% suicide
-you everything else went just fine, except you shouldn't approach MK from below. If MK is platform camping at the other side of BF, mixing FH triple lasers and dropping silent lasers is the best option afaik

round 2
-when edgeguarding mk you should retreat as soon as you run out of invi frames, else more things like 2:07 will happen.
-nothing much to add

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I think I'm missing some things in the Meta Knight matchup, so I would really appreciate your help.

My most recent match in a tourney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLWICzhOk0&feature=player_embedded#at=65
There is more to this game than rolls, spotdodges, grabs, lasers, and jabs. Be creative and learn how to deal with pressure since that seems to be Sky's forte. Stop forcing/spamming grabs. Use Falco's best features to his advantage. Good laser camping though. Just mix it all up with variations to what you already do.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Name ideer.

The Bird Bath - Cleaning Up Your Falco's Game

;)

Top Bottom