• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official BBR Tier List v4 -> Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Like I said, Egg Toss does fine on those stages on its own.

:069:
Can Yoshi go under the stage, Egg Toss Sonic and then Double Jump back to the ledge?

Bear in mind that by Egg Tossing, you lose the best height boost that you get from the 1st time you use Egg Toss

I'm very skeptical but feel free to prove me wrong

bigman40

Smash Master
Can Yoshi go under the stage, Egg Toss Sonic and then Double Jump back to the ledge?

Bear in mind that by Egg Tossing, you lose the best height boost that you get from the 1st time you use Egg Toss

FD? No.
BF? Not completely sure, but he still have a good chance to reach the ledge.
SV? Yes.

@Dark: Try Super/Infinite Jumping to just completely stay away from D3? I doubt it'll work if we keep doing it due to the fact that we have 20 frames of airdodge cooldown. It'd probably be good to mix in when running out of space, but that's about it imo.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't know exactly what they are, but isn't Sonic's homing stall similar to the rising pound/peach bomber stalls in Melee, which (I think?) are banned?

D

Deleted member

Z, are you seriously telling me that Yoshi can go UNDERNEATH BF/SV/FD/etc, DOUBLE JUMP to an attack against a HA abusing Sonic, then RECOVER?

...without your DJ?
Wolf can fight it on BF and SV. He can go under the stage and recover on the other side.

Browny

Smash Hater
wow I was an idiot for only discussing it in the ruleset threads.

Guys, HA is not banned. BBR reps have told me this multiple times. The only issue, is that the 'stalling' rule can potentially cover HA and render a perfectly legal tactic, illegal because of a misleading rule description.
OK fine lets see if I can get any agreement on this before I take the next step and make a whole new thread about it.

My argument: Whilst HA under the stage is not explicitly banned and is legal for all intents and purposes, any player may be disqualified for using it under the general 'stalling' rule. This rule is open to interpretation by all people involved. There is no other tactic in the game which can result in a DQ which is NOT explicitly stated. The only other tactics which can result in a DQ are;

Chain-grabbing or locking past 300%
Using IDC
Any freeze/crash glitches
Pausing (? not sure where it is written)

All of these tactics have a separate rule for them. The point being, if any TO chooses to run their tournament by 3.1 ruleset and DOES NOT make any mention of any other tactic being bannable, all tactics are therefore assumed legal.

So I ask, what is the point of the stalling rule being very vague "Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling". If using homing attack under the stage is legal, the rule regarding stalling should be removed and replced with a separate rule covering the halberd glitch and one for CG'ing past 300 seeing as there is no other way to illegally stall. That way there is no room for interpretation and everyone is well aware of the BBR's view on the matter. Any TO could still ban HA themselves but at least if they do so, they would be required to add their own rule (EXACTLY THE SAME FOR BANNING CERTAIN CHAINGRABS) because it would be grossly unfair to anyone who got DQ'd over a rule which is not written. Remember that HA does not fit the current description of stalling.
my god do you even think?

WHY IS IT VAGUE, WHAT DO WE GAIN FROM IT?

we are talking about rules which are the difference between a DQ and not. Its a pretty serious issue if it happens in game.

Have you ever thought of a reason as to why rules dont say 'you cant chaingrab people until really high %', 'Using metaknights downb for too long is illegal' and 'winning a match on final stocks with with a suicide grab is ok sometimes' ? Its the same deal here.

Its pretty clear the BBR is obviously of the opinion that HA under the stage is legal so all I want to see is a simple change to the rules. Either list every single tactic which is banned (which it currently does) and then add a disclaimer that any and all tactics which are not EXPLICITLY BANNED are therefore legal. should add the halberd glitch to this btw.

OR

a short statement saying that using HA under the stage is legal.

As per usual, it is up to TO's to change the rules as they see fit but only once they know this.

Is that so much to ask?

rwtgfedsghfjgfs
Now that I dont disagree with...

Unfortunately (as I made too obvious) that leaves the door wide open to suggesting that planking is stalling, which indeed matches your current description. Whilst you can call out a sonic player for repeatedly running away and reneweing the HA stall, should you not also be allowed to call out the mk player who repeatedly hides on the ledge with the sole intention to time the enemy out?

Would you be quick to DQ a sonic who sets up a HA stall once, but allow an MK to begin planking 20 times a match? Not an unrealistic number btw.
No rule states that it is banned. the problem is, no rule says that its legal because anyone can DQ you for stalling.

what we need to do is petition to get the BBR to make it 100% clear whether this tactic is actually banworthy.

1) If they ban it, I will forever argue that planking must be limited as HA is NO WHERE NEAR as powerful, once you ban FD its too easy to stop it on BF after u strike SV or something. It is IMPOSSIBLE that ha will ever be broken, it should not be banned. the conterpick system makes it extremely easy to beat.

2) If its legal, then so be it. however it must be stated that no TO can DQ a player for using it under the stalling category

It really is impossible that HA under the stage serves any purpose other than to hide from your opponent, but then again so does wario running away and metaknight the instant he runs to the ledge without being pressured there. Its unfair that the BBR will ban sonic for wanting to time people out but fully allow metaknight all the planking he wants with the exact same intention and more devastating results.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Haha Delta's sig so pro.

But yo Delta do you have a pocket MK?
Because I mean you live in NJ and I know it's MK city haha so I wouldn't hold it against you lol.

Sharky

Smash Master

along with the video delta posted, why would we even need to egg toss all the way to the middle, when the egg itself will travel across fd's length anyway? hell, we could toss a couple eggs and still make it back, it isn't that hard folks.

D

Deleted member

LOLLLLLLL
Did browny...did he seriously say the COUNTERPICK SYSTEM is a reason for not banning a stalling tactic.
*poops self*
"It shouldnt be banned, you can counterpick next round to a stage that you cant get infinately stalled"

I think its bannable, just cuz espy wants to get free wins by timing out certain characters below the stage doesnt mean it isnt clearly explicitly stalling

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah thats right

ban criteria: does something over-centralise the metagame, is it broken to the point where the only way to beat it is to ditto the character or defeat them by using the same tactic

No on all counts. Can you say the same about planking?

HA was banned because it was 'broken' but in does not fit the definition at all. if theres a dozen characters which will kill sonic for even trying it and 1 stage where it is truly powerful on, how can you call it broken. in the same way you cant complain about a metaknight planking you all day when you choose falco every match, you cant complain about sonic using HA when all you have to do is use a character that beats it. How about if ur a DK main and u choose him every match vs a DDD on flat stages, would you complain that the ddd should be disqualified for using an auto-win tactic? its pathetic. Sonic just happens to have a rather powerful tool against many characters, its not banworthy.

Unless of course you want to provide us with solid reasoning as to why HA under the stage is completely broken and over-centralises the metagame, go right ahead. I wont hold my breath.

Sure its still 'stalling' but you must remember. look at the current ruleset and the definition of stalling. HA under the stage does not fit that description.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe we should the rule that bans "stalling." We should just have rules that ban what people do to stall... I mean outside of what is already mentioned as stalling in the ruleset 3.1, what kind of banned stalling is there? O_o

Edit: And before someone says something stupid like "We already do have a rule that bans what people do to stall. It's "stalling is banned." The definition is obviously too off to really be pinned to anything not already mentioned in the ruleset.

BSP

Smash Legend
TOs really don't have any justification to make Sonic's HA stall illegal yet let MK live on the ledge for times/infinitely if there's no LGL.

Sonic's HA is essentially the same as MK's planking. You try to stop either, and there's a good chance you're screwed. The only difference is that Sonic's HA is beatable by most characters on most stages while you're screwed with anyone vs. MK planking. You can't separate the two, or as Browny said, draw the ban line including one but not the other. It makes no sense.

D

Deleted member

I dont know much about it, so dont take my opinion on HA too seriously.

Im just saying, how is it different than rising pound in melee. You could go hit jiggs, it just put u in a bad position. Same thing here, except less extreme (obv sonics HA isntnearly as abusable as rising pound).

Are you joking, you think its only ban worthy if you have to use the same strategy to beat it?
I mean... maybe for characters. >.>

Browny

Smash Hater
I think its ban worthy if its fits the criteria. What ban criteria exists that sonics HA under the stage actually complies with?

It doesnt dominate tournaments, a wide variety of characters can beat it, it doesnt remove control from your opponent, you are not invincible at any time. There is nothing about it which is typically illegal in smash games.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When Sonic does homing attacking, he rises during the animation, during that animation, if its touching a ceiling, it will hit it.

Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

HA Stalling tech features the word "stalling" in it. By the definition of stalling, HA stalling = loss of match.

Yikarur

Smash Master

HA Stalling tech features the word "stalling" in it. By the definition of stalling, HA stalling = loss of match.
be careful, "Shine Stalling" by Fox is no stalling at all!!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Except stalling has a technical definition.

That said, in a number of matches it fits that definition perfectly.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh btw, its not called HA stalling

its now called 'homing attack under the stage', therefore by your reasoning it is legal :bee:

conversly, call planking 'ledgestalling' and now what? lol

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No.

Read the rule about stalling.
I know the rule about stalling, it's essentially part of Sirlin's "immediately banworthy glitches" paraphrased.

"So as to make the game unplayable" is the critical point here, stalling as a whole is banned because it does just that, makes the game unplayable. The number of match-ups where it occurs is irrelevant, what matters is that in the match-ups it is effectively invincible, it is stalling.

Just like MK's and a number of other characters (more match-up dependent) planking is stalling.

Just like DDD using his infinite on DK forever is stalling.

etc etc etc

Stalling as a whole is broken and therefore banworthy.

Therefore using homing attack to camp under the stage in match-ups where nothing can be done against it once you are a life ahead is stalling, and banworthy.

Browny

Smash Hater
lmao oh wow yeah im not doing this again. read through the 'when banning is illegitimate' thread and the last 10 or so pages on the ruleset 3.1 thread and maybe sl84's thread about fixing what isnt broken, youll see what i mean. thats not a suggestion btw. seriously do it before coming in here and making extreme calls like that.

HA is only as banworthy as planking. the only difference between the two is that one is easier to call out than the other. I missed the memo where that is criteria for a banworthy tactic while the other is legal btw.

nothing can be done against it
at no time is control removed from the other player, they can ALWAYS do something to stop it. unfortunately their chance of success is extremely low. it DOES NOT fit the definition of stalling.

btw if its not clear enough, I AM NOT advocating HA under the stage being a legal tactic. I know it is ******** and the game no longer is a fair fight once it starts. What I want to see is the ruleset changed so that the stalling rule is 100% clear on the matter, and that SOMETHING has to be done about planking IF ha is banned. this whole time you gotta remember, HA under the stage is not explicitly banned. it is technically legal at this point in time.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I've been debating SL84 for god knows how long about this (planking I mean), his attempt to reclassify planking as camping is irrelevant because most stalling is a form of camping, it's just camping that is literally unbeatable.

Control being removed from your character is irrelevant, ineffectual control is no different from having no control whatsoever, you're just as dead in melee if you get caught be marth's CG as fox on FD as you are if you're a DK in Brawl caught in DDD's on FD. The fact that you can do something is noise, a difference that makes no difference.

My understanding is that there are a number of characters that can at best trade stocks with sonic when he's doing it properly. A difference that makes no difference because when he's a stock ahead, you just trade down till automatic loss.

As I explained before, the ONLY reason that planking isn't banned (beyond a few hold-outs that don't think it's banworthy) is because people wanna MK banned because of planking and ignore the fact that other character's planking is banworthy (mostly on a MU by MU basis, but some truly stand out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom