• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
You while much of it is driven by my curiosuty to see Nintendo's take on the genre, if there was a style of game for Waluigi to star in... I think I'd like to see him in a Rockstar style sandbox title.

Obliviously it would be nothing as remotely adult as the GTA games (the content would be something below Bully in terms of age rating) but given that Waluigi is defined as a wacky character that is either disliked or ignored even within canon, him as the troublemaking protagonist in that sort of setting feels like it works. Lego City Undercover already demonstrated that a more family friendly take on concept can work, so Nintendo applying that same sort of creativity to it that that they done so many other seemingly well-worn genres? I think it could work.

Moreover, I think it could be an interesting context to maybe do something with various forgotten Mario adjacent characters with Waluigi's game essentially being the land of misfit toys that haven't appeared anywhere else. Waluigi running afoul of Wart of SMB2 (US), having a wacky fight with Prince Pine from Yoshi's Safari (complete with a brief mini-game shout out to the latter) or eventually having to run away from an attacking Tatanga? With it being a genre that often demands a lot of NPC's to interact with, why not go down the rabbit hole and utilize some obscure favorites.

Now it would likely never happen given the company's lack of interest in the genre and "Nintendo style GTA" being a headline they wouldn't consider worth dealing with; but conceptually I think there's value there.
I really like the idea of making kid friendly versions of traditionally adult or difficult genres and I think it should happen more. This is part of the reason I got excited for Another Crab’s Treasure before it came out since I thought it would be a kid friendly but still deep take on soulslikes even if it turned out to not really be a kid friendly game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I really like the idea of making kid friendly versions of traditionally adult or difficult genres and I think it should happen more. This is part of the reason I got excited for Another Crab’s Treasure before it came out since I thought it would be a kid friendly but still deep take on soulslikes even if it turned out to not really be a kid friendly game.
Agreed; its why I'm always pleased to see Visual Novels that lean into PG/PG-13 equivalent material; it's a solid format that can work without the content necessarily being adult and/or excessively dark.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Holy ****, the Nintendo Museum direct was embarassing. There doesn't seem to be much of a historical focus, it's just a bunch of old products behind glass without any signs or such to give content, and a bunch of novelty arcade games. I had low expectations, but I was at least expecting... some kind of historical content. The complete absence of the Virtual Boy and very minimal Wii U presence also gives me very bad vibes. I've read the site and know the huge controllers aren't the only retro games, but even then there are multiple consoles with giant controllers that aren't avaliable without them. Maybe my expectations were just too high due to having played Atari 50, I dunno.
There was a visible Virtual Boy controller in the background :p

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You while much of it is driven by my curiosuty to see Nintendo's take on the genre, if there was a style of game for Waluigi to star in... I think I'd like to see him in a Rockstar style sandbox title.

Obliviously it would be nothing as remotely adult as the GTA games (the content would be something below Bully in terms of age rating) but given that Waluigi is defined as a wacky character that is either disliked or ignored even within canon, him as the troublemaking protagonist in that sort of setting feels like it works. Lego City Undercover already demonstrated that a more family friendly take on concept can work, so Nintendo applying that same sort of creativity to it that that they done so many other seemingly well-worn genres? I think it could work.

Moreover, I think it could be an interesting context to maybe do something with various forgotten Mario adjacent characters with Waluigi's game essentially being the land of misfit toys that haven't appeared anywhere else. Waluigi running afoul of Wart of SMB2 (US), having a wacky fight with Prince Pine from Yoshi's Safari (complete with a brief mini-game shout out to the latter) or eventually having to run away from an attacking Tatanga? With it being a genre that often demands a lot of NPC's to interact with, why not go down the rabbit hole and utilize some obscure favorites?

Now it would likely never happen given the company's lack of interest in the genre and "Nintendo style GTA" being a headline they wouldn't consider worth dealing with; but conceptually I think there's value there.
I do like the idea of Waluigi GTA, but what I don't like is using Waluigi as a dumping grounds for forgotten Mario characters - I would love to have the likes of Pine and Tatanga show up in Mario games, sure, but as I said, I'd want a whole distinct Waluigi universe (in the sense of original characters and concepts, an outer-fictional view, not a shared universe/multiverse) developed, not a different area of the standard Mario universe, much like how DKC and post-SML3 Wario games don't have much established Mario content.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I do like the idea of Waluigi GTA, but what I don't like is using Waluigi as a dumping grounds for forgotten Mario characters - I would love to have the likes of Pine and Tatanga show up in Mario games, sure, but as I said, I'd want a whole distinct Waluigi universe (in the sense of original characters and concepts, an outer-fictional view, not a shared universe/multiverse) developed, not a different area of the standard Mario universe, much like how DKC and post-SML3 Wario games don't have much established Mario content.
The idea of an open world GTA-like Mario game is funny, but it seems like a better fit for a character who is a thief, like a Shy Guy or Nabbit to have some sense of crime that is not involving murder, sex or drugs. I think stealing is the perfect hook for that. Bowser or a Bowser adjacent character could work as well, although I think it would be funny more to have Bowser as a boss or ally in that funny villainous role. I imagine you could parody everything from Indiana Jones, lots of heist movies and games, The Fast and the Furious, and of course a ton of Nintendo franchises. Would be funny if something to steal was the Triforce too. :laugh:

I don't think such a GTA Mario game fits Waluigi. The vibe for Waluigi is the vibe of a spin-off character who is goofy and does not change. Unless you change a major aspect of what Waluigi is (presented as), Waluigi will remain in the same role since first being introduced in Mario Tennis 64 in 2000.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At least hypothetically I think it's something you could do a feint with; have his initial game be filled with the forgotten figures as the novelty to sell it with new characters introduced and then if the series went on, gradually phase out the former while emphasizing the latter.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think there is a legitimate argument for Duck Hunt being a part of Nintendo's "Mount Rushmore", at least from the strictly Western and entire-history perspective that makes Metroid be percieved as a contender and tends to get Splatoon wrapped up in "let's see how it goes".

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The 3DS' 3D was the best Nintendo gimmick. I don't really consider Switch's hybrid nature a "gimmick", I think that's kinda just what handheld consoles are like now in a post-Steam Deck world.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The 3DS' 3D was the best Nintendo gimmick. I don't really consider Switch's hybrid nature a "gimmick", I think that's kinda just what handheld consoles are like now in a post-Steam Deck world.
It was the best gimmick because it was the least intrusive; the very existence of the 2DS demonstrated that the power and library of the console was good enough to experience even without 3D. It also helped that games were generally less mandatory about frequent touchscreen use, unlike so many of the questionable experiments on the DS (Zelda duology, Star Fox Command) it was a concept generally pared down on the former console.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It was the best gimmick because it was the least intrusive; the very existence of the 2DS demonstrated that the power and library of the console was good enough to experience even without 3D. It also helped that games were generally less mandatory about frequent touchscreen use, unlike so many of the questionable experiments on the DS (Zelda duology, Star Fox Command) it was a concept generally pared down on the former console.
I don't know, the 3D effects were very intrusive. he 3D effects caused so many games to lag, drop frames, stutter and have all sorts of frame pacing issues that they did not otherwise have (as badly).

If the 2DS came out first and the 3DS came out later where the performance on the 3DS matched the 2DS' general performance, it would not have been so bad. Overall that system felt sunk by the name and gimmick (not as bad as the Wii U), which is weird, because the Vita had the opposite effect (sunk by the name and lack of software).

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
If or when Mario’s next 3D game is a multiverse story, I want it to consist of fully original ideas rather than just being more crossover fodder.
There are really people advocating for crossovers in 3D Mario? Costumes, perhaps. But as a full game? Nah.

Mario Kart and Mario Maker can get away with it because they’re much more loose in their worlds. I could even see a one-time arrangement for a game like Mario & Luigi, or an entirely new RPG.

But I don’t like the idea of basically creating a shared Nintendo Gaming Universe unless it’s just bonus content.

We don’t need everything to be interconnected. We don’t need Nintendo to have an Endgame.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
There are really people advocating for crossovers in 3D Mario? Costumes, perhaps. But as a full game? Nah.

Mario Kart and Mario Maker can get away with it because they’re much more loose in their worlds. I could even see a one-time arrangement for a game like Mario & Luigi, or an entirely new RPG.

But I don’t like the idea of basically creating a shared Nintendo Gaming Universe unless it’s just bonus content.

We don’t need everything to be interconnected. We don’t need Nintendo to have an Endgame.
I think this is a response to the recent Crash 5 details, not any actual fan demand.

Anyway, yeah, I think multiverse stories are better with new concepts than crossovers - that being said, I do think an effort should be taken to make them look like actual alternate dimensions, very few of Crash 4's alternate dimensions look like well, alternate dimensions, and not just other areas of the regular Crash universe. Alternate characters would be a good start.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I feel more and more like Smash Bros. shouldn’t be this massive celebration of all of gaming.

Perhaps we could see more crossovers with smaller stakes.

I do think Smash will find its place as a Nintendo All-Stars crossover with some other third party elements.

But I do feel that other companies, and even Smash fans can’t keep coasting on or hope for Smash Bros to be their character’s big splash.

I think companies like Capcom and SNK should revisit their own crossover endeavours on the side to Smash. Square Enix is one that really should be considering this with its many characters and series.

And even if Smash goes big with more third parties rather than going home, I think Nintendo will look some other place to promote its own IPs, and one particular kart-racing series is prime potential for that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel more and more like Smash Bros. shouldn’t be this massive celebration of all of gaming.

Perhaps we could see more crossovers with smaller stakes.

I do think Smash will find its place as a Nintendo All-Stars crossover with some other third party elements.

But I do feel that other companies, and even Smash fans can’t keep coasting on or hope for Smash Bros to be their character’s big splash.

I think companies like Capcom and SNK should revisit their own crossover endeavours on the side to Smash. Square Enix is one that really should be considering this with its many characters and series.

And even if Smash goes big with more third parties rather than going home, I think Nintendo will look some other place to promote its own IPs, and one particular kart-racing series is prime potential for that.
well when capcom had their big survey earlier in the year asking people which of their franchises they’d like to see more of I seem to recall Vs Capcom did quite well. so it’s probably on their minds at least

Top Bottom