• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I actually thought the ability based medal levels in Return to Dream Land and Dream Collection were a solid incentive for some players to perfect use of powers. It's not as organic as having such a system be integrated in the main game itself, but there's merit there if they evolved the idea further.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
If Nintendo ever decides to go further with the idea of crossover characters in Mario Kart, I think a lot of people overestimate potential damages to the roster, and who even gets included.

People tend to go off ‘vibes’ more often than not.

Going for a weird middle ground with Mario Kart and Nintendo Kart, I’d say Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon all return.

Pikmin feels like a shoe-in, being a somewhat prominent EPD series. After that, it’s much more blurry. Metroid is a good shout.

I think it makes sense to have one of the Nintendo RPG series in the base game, to not oversaturate DLC. As such, Xenoblade feels like a strong fit.

F-Zero and Star Fox are also neat older inclusions some people would find nice.

That’s really about it. I see picks like Fire Emblem and yes, Kirby as DLC, due to them being second party.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If Nintendo ever decides to go further with the idea of crossover characters in Mario Kart, I think a lot of people overestimate potential damages to the roster, and who even gets included.

People tend to go off ‘vibes’ more often than not.

Going for a weird middle ground with Mario Kart and Nintendo Kart, I’d say Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon all return.

Pikmin feels like a shoe-in, being a somewhat prominent EPD series. After that, it’s much more blurry. Metroid is a good shout.

I think it makes sense to have one of the Nintendo RPG series in the base game, to not oversaturate DLC. As such, Xenoblade feels like a strong fit.

F-Zero and Star Fox are also neat older inclusions some people would find nice.

That’s really about it. I see picks like Fire Emblem and yes, Kirby as DLC, due to them being second party.
I don't think Nintendo Kart should ever happen, but if it was to, I think it should stay limited to scrimblos and Zelda. That way there's a bit of thematic cohesion and it fits better with Mario Kart's intent as a family franchise first and not a geek gamer franchise first like Smash is, and makes it feel a bit more cohesive and less like a giant ad, but even then, I'd prefer the series to stick to Mario, as Mario has a virtually unlimited cast even when you can't use Ware/RPG/e.t.c. characters, and I think Nintendo Kart would be at the expense of characters like Koopa Troopa and Waluigi - this isn't a Metal Mario or babies situation where they'd take up barely any dev time due to reused models and animations, Olimar and his Pikmin stage would literally be stealing dev time from Mario characters and original tracks. Even if they have it a GTA budget and it had 50 Mario characters against 50 crossover characters or something like that, that's still 50 Mario characters missed out on. Also, Mario Kart is really good about course ideas, and I think Nintendo Kart would run the risk of making every track "Level 1 of game". The Mario universe is a cartoon universe where basically anything can be grounds for a kart race, but it's harder to interpret race tracks even out of existing Xenoblade or Metroid locales, let alone original ideas. The Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Excitebike courses already have some kind of grass element each, which is the big problem with Smash stages.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Zelda should have its own racing spin-off: a horse raising and racing sim that takes the equestrian stuff from that one undercooked 3DS Mario Sports game and expands on it.

Then THAT can have Fire Emblem characters in it. Maybe Xenoblade if they're willing to incorporate Ponio enemies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nintendo Kart could be fun. But not every franchise fits in. Pikmin, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox and F Zero do, but hard time picturing other series.

I doubt Pokémon is gonna fit in well for example without the Pokémon Company wanting the dominate and have the lion's share of the thing same as Mario and related series by default. So in a way, it's gonna be like Smash all over. Mario + certain crossover Kart is better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m cool with either Nintendo Kart or continuing Mario Kart as it is. Even sticking with just Mario, the roster could be a whole lot better than MK8’s was. I’d love to see characters like Wart, Mouser, Goomba, Pauline and spinoff characters like Geno, Fawful, and Goombella join the roster. We don’t need baby versions of every character and made up alternate versions of characters like Pink Gold Peach.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I like the baby/metal variants in Mario Kart. I think they're funny, especially when they're completely made up.

(also, as I mentioned, they probably don't actually take significant dev time. Reused models, and the only new animations are selection and tricks)

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I think why I prefer Mario Kart with extra guests (Nintendo Kart is too much too soon) is due to Nintendo’s hesitation to bring in things from the spin-offs.

We’ve seen Luigi’s Mansion, Yoshi, and DKC as fair game throughout the series. But Nintendo doesn’t go over the line towards WarioWare, the RPGs, etc. That seems to be where the line is drawn for them, and it has been since Double Dash.

Even with 42 characters like base MK8D, split in around a 2:1 ratio for Mario to Nintendo characters, that’s still 28 Mario characters, more than the entire roster of MKW.

I think a lot of people expect too much. They aren’t going to go into the RPGs and WarioWare. Tour was their best chance, and they never took it.

It honestly seems like there isn’t a concrete idea as to what ‘Nintendo Kart’ would be. Here are options I’ve seen flowing around.
  • Majority Mario roster with a sizeable, yet limited crossover presence (1st parties only, no 2nd or 3rd parties), split 2:1 like above. This would be my view, and what I think is a suitable compromise. Only downside to people is no Kirby at launch.
  • Just making it like Smash. I don’t think this is viable, and it alienates existing Mario Kart fans.
  • What essentially boils down to ‘Scrimblo Kart’. Only having characters that ‘fit’.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even if characters from RPGs and such are off-limits, that still leaves you with a **** ton of characters who have yet to be playable in an MK. Here's a list of characters who are playable in non-MK Wii U, mobile, Switch, and 3DS Mario sports games, released during the height of nonsensical "mandate" conspiracy theories, who aren't in Mario Kart yet, variants ignored.
  1. Sprixie Princess
  2. Luma
  3. Spike
  4. Chain Chomp
  5. Blooper
  6. Boom Boom
  7. Piranha Plant
  8. Goomba
  9. Pom Pom
  10. Ninji
  11. Dolphin
  12. Piranha Plant
and that is just the strictest version, now add on assistants from Dr. Mario World
  1. Bob-Omb
  2. Cheep Cheep
  3. Huckit Crab
  4. Spiny
  5. Pokey
  6. Swoop
  7. Bullet Bill
  8. Peepa
  9. Scaredy Rat
  10. Sumo Bro
  11. Porcupuffer
  12. Clampy
  13. Crowber
  14. Buzzy Beetle
  15. Amp
  16. Sledge Bro
  17. Mechakoopa
  18. Thwomp
  19. Fuzzy
  20. Star Bunny
  21. Octoomba
  22. Scuttlebug
  23. Penguin
  24. Ant Trooper
  25. Stingy
  26. Urchin
  27. Sushi
  28. Fishbone
  29. Broozer
  30. Conkdor
and finally, characters from 7 and Tour not in 8D
  1. Honey Queen
  2. Monty Mole
  3. Hammer Bro.
  4. Donkey Kong Jr.
  5. Nabbit
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Chargin' Chuck
  8. King Bob-Omb
  9. Poochy
  10. Nabbit
There are 52 characters here, all of which Nintendo allowed to have in the game, and that's omitting variants - not all of them could necessarilly fit into a kart, but it still shows that the Mario universe is way more expansive than you think, even sticking to strictly the most well-known games, and that's not even getting into characters who made minor NPC roles in the last 2 decades, who should surely be on the table too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Even if characters from RPGs and such are off-limits, that still leaves you with a **** ton of characters who have yet to be playable in an MK. Here's a list of characters who are playable in non-MK Wii U, mobile, Switch, and 3DS Mario sports games, released during the height of nonsensical "mandate" conspiracy theories, who aren't in Mario Kart yet, variants ignored.
  1. Sprixie Princess
  2. Luma
  3. Spike
  4. Chain Chomp
  5. Blooper
  6. Boom Boom
  7. Piranha Plant
  8. Goomba
  9. Pom Pom
  10. Ninji
  11. Dolphin
  12. Piranha Plant
and that is just the strictest version, now add on assistants from Dr. Mario World
  1. Bob-Omb
  2. Cheep Cheep
  3. Huckit Crab
  4. Spiny
  5. Pokey
  6. Swoop
  7. Bullet Bill
  8. Peepa
  9. Scaredy Rat
  10. Sumo Bro
  11. Porcupuffer
  12. Clampy
  13. Crowber
  14. Buzzy Beetle
  15. Amp
  16. Sledge Bro
  17. Mechakoopa
  18. Thwomp
  19. Fuzzy
  20. Star Bunny
  21. Octoomba
  22. Scuttlebug
  23. Penguin
  24. Ant Trooper
  25. Stingy
  26. Urchin
  27. Sushi
  28. Fishbone
  29. Broozer
  30. Conkdor
and finally, characters from 7 and Tour not in 8D
  1. Honey Queen
  2. Monty Mole
  3. Hammer Bro.
  4. Donkey Kong Jr.
  5. Nabbit
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Chargin' Chuck
  8. King Bob-Omb
  9. Poochy
  10. Nabbit
  11. Poochy
There are 53 characters here, all of which Nintendo allowed to have in the game, and that's omitting variants - not all of them could necessarilly fit into a kart, but it still shows that the Mario universe is way more expansive than you think, even sticking to strictly the most well-known games, and that's not even getting into characters who made minor NPC roles in the last 2 decades, who should surely be on the table too.
tbh those 53 are a pretty good line up

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The comparison doesn’t work. It’s more like Xenoblade Kart, and the only Mario character is Toad.
The reason Riki was singled out is because he's a scrimblo, so really the closest comparison would be "Xenoblade Kart, and the only Mario character is Rosalina" or something. Perhaps Culex, or if you're feeling a bit reductive-YouTube-gamer today, Flurrie.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I like the baby/metal variants in Mario Kart. I think they're funny, especially when they're completely made up.

(also, as I mentioned, they probably don't actually take significant dev time. Reused models, and the only new animations are selection and tricks)
The baby variants were good when they kept with the ones who were already in the Yoshi series. It got too much when they started going beyond that.

For the metal variants though, I think everyone will be happier if they're treated as costumes rather than separate entities. At least that way, the series can be open to any of the power-up costumes in the main series.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The baby variants were good when they kept with the ones who were already in the Yoshi series. It got too much when they started going beyond that.

For the metal variants though, I think everyone will be happier if they're treated as costumes rather than separate entities. At least that way, the series can be open to any of the power-up costumes in the main series.
Making them costumes would not change anything practically, it would not shift how much dev time is on each character whatsoever, it'd just be a presentation thing.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Making them costumes would not change anything practically, it would not shift how much dev time is on each character whatsoever, it'd just be a presentation thing.
I think that's what he's going for. It's like how calling clones "echo fighters" made the general popular opinion on them basically go from "I hope they all get cut next game." to "I hope we get an echo fighters pass!"

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The comparison doesn’t work. It’s more like Xenoblade Kart, and the only Mario character is Toad.
The reason Riki was singled out is because he's a scrimblo, so really the closest comparison would be "Xenoblade Kart, and the only Mario character is Rosalina" or something. Perhaps Culex, or if you're feeling a bit reductive-YouTube-gamer today, Flurrie.
Yes, you're both right. I didn't put much thought into my post...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, now that someone brings this up...

I'm surprised Square Enix never made a platformer starring a Chocobo. At least they made two kart racers though.
They did actually.

Nvm. I completely misread.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
If Legend of Zelda were to ever get a new animated series, it's gotta be Wind Waker. You can totally get away with writting Wind Waker style Zelda that can actually be taken seriously. Yeah. Wind Waker Link can by far be written in a superior context to his other counterparts, as well as Zelda.

Metroid also deserve a TV series and movie. There's tons to work with.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Legend of Zelda were to ever get a new animated series, it's gotta be Wind Waker. You can totally get away with writting Wind Waker style Zelda that can actually be taken seriously. Yeah. Wind Waker Link can by far be written in a superior context to his other counterparts, as well as Zelda.
I think the best possible route for a Zelda adaptation is an anime.

But it also needs to be one that isn't based on any particular game. Just one that takes the common Zelda elements and makes something new out of them.

Metroid also deserve a TV series and movie. There's tons to work with.
All Metroid really needs IMO is an OVA adaptation of the manga... but with significant changes.

Like for example, they should cut out the idea of Ridley speaking (at least in a way that can be understood). They should also better convey that Adam admired Samus's rebellious attitude and wholeheartedly supported her decision to strike her own path. And of course involving Raven Beak in the DNA editing they did to Samus.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
While I think Nintendo Kart is a doodoo idea with next to no redeeming qualities, I do like the idea of a second Nintendo crossover series, but if one was to exist, it should either have a more specific criteria (like Captain Rainbow did with its niche focus - "Oops! all scrimblos!" or "Oops! All anime!" are both good jumping-off points), or the opposite, be like a Lego game with 200+ near-identical (and not just on a functional level) characters, including weird picks that'd never fly in Smash where every character has to go through immense research and scrutiny to ensure the plastic figures will sell.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I actually think one of the most underrated and most practical Nintendo crossovers would just massive multi-franchise digital trading card game. It's a genre that Nintendo often hasn't done outside Pokémon, there's a ridiculous number of characters/attacks/boosters to include, the practical way of adapting unorthodox moves/abilities is removed because it's based on points, and the online infrastructure required would be much easier than one for Mario Kart or Smash. Given how much Konami is making bank on Yu-Gi-Oh variations in Japan, that region alone could make it popular enough to be sustainable for a long time.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really just want company crossovers as a whole to cool off for a while (even beyond Nintendo). Ever since Smash Ultimate and the Avengers Thanos duology brought it to new heights, it feels like a financial obligation more than anything nowadays. The trend needs to die so it may live at another time.

But franchise internal crossovers? Let's pivot towards that.
----
I actually think one of the most underrated and most practical Nintendo crossovers would just massive multi-franchise digital card trading game. It's a genre that Nintendo often hasn't done outside Pokémon, there's a ridiculous number of characters/attacks/boosters to include, the practical way of adapting unorthodox moves/abilities is removed because it's based on points, and the online infrastructure required would be much easier than one for Mario Kart or Smash. Given how much Konami is making bank on Yu-Gi-Oh variations in Japan, that region alone could make it popular enough to be sustainable for a long time.
Meh, as long they can use revenue from such a game's transactions to fund bigger projects, I'd be fine with its existence I guess.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Maybe if I were into AC I'd hate this idea, but I really like the concept of the crossover villagers from New Leaf and think an AC crossover game, or just a generally cozy conflict-free Nintendo crossover, would be fun as a one-off - even if I mostly just like this idea because I hate Smash treating itself as grand and epic.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fire Emblem Cipher: "Am I a joke to you?"
Funny thing is that while posting the idea, I did suspect if there was another Nintendo IP that had a TCG release, it would be FE, but figured even if that was the case, it would still be obscure enough to not hurt the novelty of Nintendo doing a major one.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I do want a Waluigi game, who doesn't?, but - name be damned - I think Waluigi deserves better than to be relegated to "Luigi's nemesis" or "Wario's partner" and instead should have a whole, original universe, cast, and rogues gallery tailored to him like Wario and DK had, instead of just "Luigi's Mansion 4: Waluigi's Con Quest" or something.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I really need one of Capcom or Nintendo to actually port MH3U and MH4U to modern platforms like Switch2. Would like to extend that same energy to other deserving hidden gem titles stuck in the 3DS/WiiU limbo. None of the classics are officially accessible which is not par for the course on Capcom's end and I'm still wondering why. Precious timeless relics of the bygone era of Nintendo-exclusivity (multi-platform is the way to go, thankfully that is the case now). I'm going to assume they really want to hold on to 3U and 4U rights if they won't come to PC (without emu ofc).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Holy ****, the Nintendo Museum direct was embarassing. There doesn't seem to be much of a historical focus, it's just a bunch of old products behind glass without any signs or such to give content, and a bunch of novelty arcade games. I had low expectations, but I was at least expecting... some kind of historical content. The complete absence of the Virtual Boy and very minimal Wii U presence also gives me very bad vibes. I've read the site and know the huge controllers aren't the only retro games, but even then there are multiple consoles with giant controllers that aren't avaliable without them. Maybe my expectations were just too high due to having played Atari 50, I dunno.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Holy ****, the Nintendo Museum direct was embarassing. There doesn't seem to be much of a historical focus, it's just a bunch of old products behind glass without any signs or such to give content, and a bunch of novelty arcade games. I had low expectations, but I was at least expecting... some kind of historical content. The complete absence of the Virtual Boy and very minimal Wii U presence also gives me very bad vibes. Maybe my expectations were just too high due to having played Atari 50, I dunno.
While I'm sure there are various local examples that are the exception, it does feel like the West goes a bit more all out with their video game museums. The National Video Game Museums in both Frisco, Texas and Sheffield, South Yorkshire feel like much more elaborate and extensive efforts than what Nintendo's doing, and they're not even officially affiliated with major companies.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Didn't watch the museum presentation, but Nintendo being stingy is no surprise. I don't even think it's a West/Japanese thing.
----
Nintendo rightfully gets a lot of flack for how inconvenient they make their online system for the sake of protecting younger audiences (and because their online system is outdated, but that's a tangential issue). Most say that regulating online interactions is something that should be left to the parents. But nowadays I find myself a lot more concerned about how incompetent current-day parents are proving to be about regulating how their kids use online stuff.

It's bad enough that Nintendo has an authoritarian attitude about protecting their consumers(' kids), but the fact that their attitude is being validated is even more frightening.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While I think Nintendo Kart is a doodoo idea with next to no redeeming qualities, I do like the idea of a second Nintendo crossover series, but if one was to exist, it should either have a more specific criteria (like Captain Rainbow did with its niche focus - "Oops! all scrimblos!" or "Oops! All anime!" are both good jumping-off points), or the opposite, be like a Lego game with 200+ near-identical (and not just on a functional level) characters, including weird picks that'd never fly in Smash where every character has to go through immense research and scrutiny to ensure the plastic figures will sell.
I think a strategy RPG or a RPG in general, or a traditional fighting game could work wonders for what you're saying here.

Quillion

Smash Hero
...or a traditional fighting game could work wonders for what you're saying here.
I'm still advocating for Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Though I acknowledge that Capcom resolving some of the issues with Marvel/Disney and releasing the MvC Collection makes that much less likely.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You while much of it is driven by my curiosuty to see Nintendo's take on the genre, if there was a style of game for Waluigi to star in... I think I'd like to see him in a Rockstar style sandbox title.

Obliviously it would be nothing as remotely adult as the GTA games (the content would be something below Bully in terms of age rating) but given that Waluigi is defined as a wacky character that is either disliked or ignored even within canon, him as the troublemaking protagonist in that sort of setting feels like it works. Lego City Undercover already demonstrated that a more family friendly take on concept can work, so Nintendo applying that same sort of creativity to it that that they done so many other seemingly well-worn genres? I think it could work.

Moreover, I think it could be an interesting context to maybe do something with various forgotten Mario adjacent characters with Waluigi's game essentially being the land of misfit toys that haven't appeared anywhere else. Waluigi running afoul of Wart of SMB2 (US), having a wacky fight with Prince Pine from Yoshi's Safari (complete with a brief mini-game shout out to the latter) or eventually having to run away from an attacking Tatanga? With it being a genre that often demands a lot of NPC's to interact with, why not go down the rabbit hole and utilize some obscure favorites?

Now it would likely never happen given the company's lack of interest in the genre and "Nintendo style GTA" being a headline they wouldn't consider worth dealing with; but conceptually I think there's value there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom