• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Omis

my friends were skinny
Totally destroyed my goals for this year. Im blasted through the 160 I aimed for and Im now a 172 with a pretty flat stomach. Gaining over thirty pounds in one year feels like a mother****er

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Totally destroyed my goals for this year. Im blasted through the 160 I aimed for and Im now a 172 with a pretty flat stomach. Gaining over thirty pounds in one year feels like a mother****er
O_O

Not to be a dipstick, but depending on your age, gaining 30lbs a year naturally is both statistically and medically impossible. If you're still an adolescent, then it's not, but from bodybuilding alone, 30lbs... whew.

Either way, congratulations on the accomplishment.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I thought EAS products were overpriced to begin with? What are the health detriments to consuming metals like arsenic? I remember watching a Dr. Oz segment where he mentioned that some Apple Juice brands carry arsenic as well.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I thought EAS products were overpriced to begin with? What are the health detriments to consuming metals like arsenic? I remember watching a Dr. Oz segment where he mentioned that some Apple Juice brands carry arsenic as well.
Arsenic is trace amounts isn't necessarily toxic (to demonstrate this point, literally anything can be toxic, it just depends on the properties of the atom/molecule that determine just how much of it is dangerous), but consumed regularly and in large amounts (like that found in EAS products) it can lead to some bad things.

Arsenic is naturally occurring in apples and some fruits are even mildly radioactive, like bananas. But there's absolutely no reason that a protein powder should have heavy metals in such large quantities, if at all. As for the pricing of EAS products, they're actually reasonable, but they're reasonable for obvious reasons. EAS, Body Fortress; it's all garbage. You can usually tell natural products just by unpretentious and innocuous packaging. A product that can't sell on its own merit'll have to be marketed as "SUPREME MUSCLE PUMP BUILDER RIPPER X9001."

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I'm gonna have to take a long look at what protein supplement I invest in once I resume working out when the semester starts (currently just doing a bunch of cardio.) Was originally using that BSN product, given it was sponsored by UFC, so I figured it was a natural good choice. Seems like it has a small amount, especially given I only take one serving a day.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Well, I'm gonna have to take a long look at what protein supplement I invest in once I resume working out when the semester starts (currently just doing a bunch of cardio.) Was originally using that BSN product, given it was sponsored by UFC, so I figured it was a natural good choice. Seems like it has a small amount, especially given I only take one serving a day.
In my opinion, you should only take supplements that're USDA certified organic, but that's not an option for some people, unfortunately. As for the UFC endorsement, as much as UFC likes to dote on itself for being the supreme exhibition of fighting prowess and mono e mono skill, it's a sport with endorsements and marketing opportunities just like anything else.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
In my opinion, you should only take supplements that're USDA certified organic, but that's not an option for some people, unfortunately.
I thought "organic" was just a buzz word. The regulations on their certification seem flimsy, and their health benefits negligible?

etecoon

Smash Hero
if you can get food that hasn't been tampered with it is better for you, but you're right that regulations get sidestepped frequently. it's nearly impossible to avoid at least some level of poisoning the way our civilization is built, you pretty much have to grow your own food or go hunter gatherer mode and be like that guy who moved to the middle of no where in alaska

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
If ya really wanna go organic go with the lean organic chicken. Now-a-days you see "organic" and "whole grains" slabbed on everything, even if "made with whole grains" "whole grains" and "100% whole grain" can all mean something different. I just eat whatever :p

Also, Verm you moved away to a different state? :<

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
If ya really wanna go organic go with the lean organic chicken. Now-a-days you see "organic" and "whole grains" slabbed on everything, even if "made with whole grains" "whole grains" and "100% whole grain" can all mean something different. I just eat whatever :p

Also, Verm you moved away to a different state? :<
With "all natural" products, I think the stipulations are a bit flimsier, but with organic, to get a USDA seal or otherwise, they do need to go through a number of hoops. So "all natural" and numbers like "0" instead of "No," are the ones to be suspicious of.

And yeah, man. :( I had to move to Oregon. I'm not a big fan of it here. It's alright I guess, but I miss being able to visit Boston, NYC and the likes. There's so little energy here.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hey guys, would it be better to run for 20-30 minutes a day than running for 4-5 miles three times a week? I ran for 26 mintues today and it felt great. Last time I tried running 5 miles, I had to stop every mile to rest and my chest and breathing felt off and bad.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Hey guys, would it be better to run for 20-30 minutes a day than running for 4-5 miles three times a week? I ran for 26 mintues today and it felt great. Last time I tried running 5 miles, I had to stop every mile to rest and my chest and breathing felt off and bad.
It's best to do cardio every day, so I'd suggest running for 20-30 minutes a day. In my opinion, the endurance trials aren't nearly as beneficial for your overall health, and should only be used for advanced fitness goals.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Any of you guys ever get that feeling where your legs just feel "dead"? Been playing a bunch of pick up football games these past few weeks, and today I noticed I really didn't have much of a burst, and it felt like I needed to put more effort into cuts and moves. My legs aren't sore...they just feel over worked I guess.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're not used to running such a long distance, it's probably not a bad idea to do shorter runs to build up better stamina and just increase it over time.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I'm starting advanced cardio training next semester... and by advanced, I mean I suck at running and will start with 1 mile a day with, get this, no stopping to catch my breath XD Hey all you runners, what is "proper form?" Tons of people in my class run marathons, 5k, 1/2 marathons etc. I have a friend who also runs but was told by a friend girl that he has poor form. I thought running was intuitive but apparently not?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm starting advanced cardio training next semester... and by advanced, I mean I suck at running and will start with 1 mile a day with, get this, no stopping to catch my breath XD Hey all you runners, what is "proper form?" Tons of people in my class run marathons, 5k, 1/2 marathons etc. I have a friend who also runs but was told by a friend girl that he has poor form. I thought running was intuitive but apparently not?
When someone's running with bad form, it's usually because their stride is either stiff, short, heavy or any combination of the three. If it's stiff, they're not using their core and arms to propel themselves, if it's short, they're not extending their legs far enough and if it's heavy, they're landing on their heels instead of the balls of their feet on each stride which stresses your knees out and takes a lot more effort to execute a stride.

So, in other words, twist your core so that your upper body not only has less work keeping your torso perfectly straight, but so that it doesn't resist against the inertial force of the legs. Land on the balls of your feet instead of your heels and make sure to get good leg extension on each stride. Though, this is all my summation of: http://scoobysworkshop.com/efficient-running-technique/, so you might find more detailed explanations there.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
It's best to do cardio every day, so I'd suggest running for 20-30 minutes a day. In my opinion, the endurance trials aren't nearly as beneficial for your overall health, and should only be used for advanced fitness goals.
Thanks. I really only have two goals in mind with running, nothing advance but: 1: to slim down and 2: to extend my running endurance to at least be able to run 5k with ease.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I squatted 230 lbs x 10 x 4 this wee morning. Last week I was scared to complete 205 x 5 x 3.

I just kept wanting it. Explosive breakthroughs awwwww yeeeeeaaaaaaaa

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
So, I've posted here before, but I've never done anything before.

I read the OP and looked at the Scooby work out guide.

The only problem is: I don't have dumbbells. How do I do lunges without dumbbells? :O

Finally, when you do Cardio... what's better to drink, Water or Gatorade?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Lunges are fine without dumbbells, just search 'lunge' on YouTube.

You can make them more difficult by holding heavy books or a backpack.

IMO aminos are best for cardio, otherwise, just plain water.

:phone:

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
for short amount of exercise (< 1 hour) water is just fine...but longer than that you'll need to start getting in some cals somehow either liquids or solids

also, someone asked about running form...make sure you're not bobbing up and down too much...your energy needs to mostly be used to propel yourself forward

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, new years and all that jazz. Besides keeping SKINNY, I thought I might as well try and like, tone up a bit. The areas I want to work on are probably the typical. Stomach, Chest, upper thighs, and BUM.

I could probably make do with the chest and stomach on my own, but I haven't a clue how to rally work the BUM and upper thighs THUROUGHLY.

Not that I look bad now, I just... want to look GREAT when summer roles around. Considering my three classes are Art based, and then one Philosophy class, I know I'm going to have quite some time to kill.

Any suggestions for work out techniques? I don't have access to a gym or anything, because im poor and in college, and I'm majoring in art (Which means I'll be poor forever) SOOOOO, I would like to do this without use of fancy machines.

Any adviceee?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
For starters, whole-body workouts will be much better. If you focus on specific areas rather than strengthening your whole body, not only will the strength imbalance feel awkward and dysfunctional, but you'll look like Popeye with sledgehammer forearms and little wheat switches for arms.

I just suggest Googling compound body exercises for all muscle groups. Everyone has their preferences, and there're millions of exercises for beginning. Getting started on a solid regimen is never easy, and no one person can give you a regimen that incorporates good training principles like variation, pacing, etc. It takes a little time of experimenting to get a good program for yourself.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Ok so my abs are all but gone due to severe slacking off with regards exercise.

I don't have much fat on my uppers but it's starting to get noticeable on my lowers.

How do I get rid of this easily/easiest?

I'm joining a gym fairly soon but it all depends when my friend decides to rejoin too, that way I get a better deal.

Should I just run lots to lose the bit of gut?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Well, new years and all that jazz. Besides keeping SKINNY, I thought I might as well try and like, tone up a bit. The areas I want to work on are probably the typical. Stomach, Chest, upper thighs, and BUM.

I could probably make do with the chest and stomach on my own, but I haven't a clue how to rally work the BUM and upper thighs THUROUGHLY.

Not that I look bad now, I just... want to look GREAT when summer roles around. Considering my three classes are Art based, and then one Philosophy class, I know I'm going to have quite some time to kill.

Any suggestions for work out techniques? I don't have access to a gym or anything, because im poor and in college, and I'm majoring in art (Which means I'll be poor forever) SOOOOO, I would like to do this without use of fancy machines.

Any adviceee?
Imma assume you don't have dumbells either. If you want abs, it's all about diet. As they say "abs are made in the kitchen." For the upper body I guess you could do pushups and weighted push ups; just wear a backpack with heavy stuff in it. If you can get a pull up bar, one you can hang in door ways, that would be great for upper body and lats, which will give you a V-taper in time. For legs, you could squats with a heavy backpack. Plyometrics would help with legs too. Running helps with legs and helps with overall tone. Your options are limited if you don't have dumbells as you can do so much with a heavy backpack or curling books and stuff.

Ok so my abs are all but gone due to severe slacking off with regards exercise.

I don't have much fat on my uppers but it's starting to get noticeable on my lowers.

How do I get rid of this easily/easiest?

I'm joining a gym fairly soon but it all depends when my friend decides to rejoin too, that way I get a better deal.

Should I just run lots to lose the bit of gut?
I agree; I'd say running and diet. If there's any way to get abs back or tone up, it's cardio and a good diet.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace

Any adviceee?
Bench, squat, overhead press, and deadlift. Learn how to do them and you'll get the results you want.

Attila_

BRoomer
Abs are 80% diet.

And cardio roughly fills in the rest of that. Unless you do heaps of cardio, in which case you can afford to loosen your diet a little.

Who even lifts anyway?

:trollface:

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would have better abs, but I like eating too much. : D

I really want to work on my flexibility, don't spend enough time stretching I think and I don't like how stiff I've become. Hate yoga though. Should I just be spending more time stretching before/after workouts?

Attila_

BRoomer
You should aim to be spending more time stretching in general. Whether it be before/after/during workouts. Tbh I like stretching just before bed :D

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I'm getting slightly more flexible somehow. I'm still a bit off from touching my toes without bending my knees but I'm closer than I used to be.

Also I did tons of bicep workouts last night and stopped when I could feel the burn, then I did some abs workouts basically just because I could, even though my abs don't need as much attention as my arms. Anyway today my arms are fine and my abs hurt. Wtf? I was working on my arms for aages.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Do your arms heal faster than other muscles with protein shakes? I pushed my biceps, took my shake and the next day I was fine. Thinking I'd done something wrong, or not done enough, I decided to push them again that day, took my shake, and woke up the next day and felt fine.

Huh?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
That's probably just because your body is used to your current workout.

Are you still using the same rep/weights every time?

Keep in mind that being sore does not necessarily mean you had a good workout.

Attila_

BRoomer
typically, smaller muscles recover faster than big muscles. there's physically less to recover.

although i still wouldn't recommend training arms for days on end.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I wonder if it's because I used to run/walk places lots that my stomach stayed flatter?

Now that I have a car I drive most places :/

Can't eat what I want anymore unless I'm gonna walk it all off!

Top Bottom