• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

yani

Smash Lord
I've tried Vanilla Muscle Milk powder and it was delicious , so I don't see why the Vanilla Whey would be gross. I think my friends just have bad taste :laugh:. You have to give me your evaluation when you get it!

I say Strawberry is good and Diddy Kong said Banana is good so I think combined it would be greatness

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't taste your brand (probably) though yani, but banana flavor is generally good.

And omg yeah Muscle Milk vanilla! :yeahboi:

:phone:

yani

Smash Lord
I didn't taste your brand (probably) though yani, but banana flavor is generally good.
Yeah I always see people give Banana good reception :awesome:

muscle milk is a crap formula though; calcium caseinate makes me sad...
Yeah it is crap. I believe Standard Whey is the best overall for the casual weightlifter. Great value IMO.

I bought one once and it was thick like jelly. It was a bad bottle though :( Stupid 7eleven selling old ****
The bottles are DISGUSTING. Bleghhhh. Powder is definitely a better taste

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It was €10,- for like a 6 months supply. I had to have it as I'm poor as ****.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The shake I have actually just tastes like chocolate milk.

Anyway I'm buying some 5kg weights when I get paid at the end of the month, I've been working out for a few months now and these weights are far too light.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i've been working at gnc for the last 2 years, and will be leaving this week.

goodbye discounts.

needless to say, i'll be making a sizable purchase on wednesday...

Attila_

BRoomer
:( Any specific reason you're leaving? Also, with them high AU prices, you need all the discounts you can get heh heh.
this year, uni contact hours will be increasing from 30 to 40 hours a week. i work another job at a gym, which pays more, and i simply won't have enough time for gnc anymore.

and yeah, au prices suck. good thing customs just started letting through protein from america!

anyone else out there full bodyweight and somewhat advanced?
i don't know what this means.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Atilla, if you were in my state, I swear, you'd be my best buddy.

Also, I saw a guy benching 185 with a spot, but man - I've never been so scared in my life. He was doing back bends, thrusting his hip trying to push the weight up. Never seen such poor form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsTKfUT-RQ

and by somewhat i mean not quite there
Eh, crowd pleaser - yes. Am I that impressed, no. A lot of the stuff, such as human flags, takes practice: strength and technique. Atilla has them muscle ups (how did you train for them by the way?) and right now, I have an open legged planche. Those are gymnast moves that require both strength and training: front levers, back levers, muscle ups, planche push ups, L-sits, etc. But to answer your question, I'm no where near that in either strength or technique. I'm not trying to sound cocky either; that guy definitely put in work to pull that off.

Shade

Smash Cadet
So I started working out last week I have a ok routine down for a beginner right now, but I have a question?

Should I change my diet? I've already attempted to cut out as much soda as possible, and I've focused on attempting to not eat every grilled thing my campus calls food during meals, but I'm not sure if I should g on something stricter or?

Just as a F.Y.I. I'm trying to get lean maybe build muscle if I decide to later on. Stats are currently 174 at 6'2 not really sure on BMI.

Any suggestions would be great.

Attila_

BRoomer
Atilla, if you were in my state, I swear, you'd be my best buddy.

Also, I saw a guy benching 185 with a spot, but man - I've never been so scared in my life. He was doing back bends, thrusting his hip trying to push the weight up. Never seen such poor form.

Eh, crowd pleaser - yes. Am I that impressed, no. A lot of the stuff, such as human flags, takes practice: strength and technique. Atilla has them muscle ups (how did you train for them by the way?) and right now, I have an open legged planche. Those are gymnast moves that require both strength and training: front levers, back levers, muscle ups, planche push ups, L-sits, etc. But to answer your question, I'm no where near that in either strength or technique. I'm not trying to sound cocky either; that guy definitely put in work to pull that off.
:D

my training for muscle ups was a little... specific. i tried to break the exercise down into separate components, mastered each, then was able to perform the finished product. now i am perfectly comfortable with the exercise, and have noticed that all aspects of back power improved concurrently; as an example, my 6rm for weighted pull-ups went up by 20kgs (30kgs --> 50kgs) over a 3 month period of not actually doing weighted pull-ups at all.

i've actually been meaning to make a video about this.

anyway, so i started with normal and weighted pull-ups. in an effort to make the exercise more powerful, i discovered the 'sternum pull-up', as demonstrated in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COKlK8CtByY

should note that in the video, he actually does a sternum chin-up (the grip is facing towards instead of away), not a sternum pull-up, but the idea is there. use momentum to travel above the bar.

for the next step, i came up with something i call the 'elbow up'. no videos here, since i came up with it, and havent filmed anything yet. basically like a sternum pull-up, but this time, trying to point one elbow to the sky. drop back down and use the other elbow this time. generating momentum, and practicing getting into the dip position.

the comes the 'double elbow up'. basically an elbow up with both elbows pointing at the sky. kind of like a muscle up without the dip at the top.

then muscle ups with a big swing of the legs, progressing to a muscle up with good form.

long process. took me about 3 months from start to end. totally worth it though. and like i said, i got so much stronger in the process.

So I started working out last week I have a ok routine down for a beginner right now, but I have a question?

Should I change my diet? I've already attempted to cut out as much soda as possible, and I've focused on attempting to not eat every grilled thing my campus calls food during meals, but I'm not sure if I should g on something stricter or?

Just as a F.Y.I. I'm trying to get lean maybe build muscle if I decide to later on. Stats are currently 174 at 6'2 not really sure on BMI.

Any suggestions would be great.
at this point, id just practice solidifying the changes you've made. soda is a big one for most people, and something that youll benefit greatly from getting rid of.

in general grilled food (particularly chicken) is good for you, but fried food is the devil. of course, if the grilled food is covered in oil and fat, it's not too much better lol.

not too many big changes at the start, just introduce more as your journey progresses. its much more sustainable that way.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, this reminds me of the grilled chicken breast I used to eat everyday at my old cafeteria. It was sooooo dry that it was unbearable. Dat quality.

And overall, I agree with what shmot says, getting rid of soda is a huge first step (don't worry about not feeling bad about cheating once in a while!).

Seems like you're just wanting to lose weight for now, so a healthy diet is supplemental to your cardio and weight lifting.

What's your routine?

Shade

Smash Cadet
at this point, id just practice solidifying the changes you've made. soda is a big one for most people, and something that youll benefit greatly from getting rid of.

in general grilled food (particularly chicken) is good for you, but fried food is the devil. of course, if the grilled food is covered in oil and fat, it's not too much better lol.

not too many big changes at the start, just introduce more as your journey progresses. its much more sustainable that way.
Yeah I'm trying to stop eating them most of the food at my college is ether dipped in fats and oil or nothing at all.

Man, this reminds me of the grilled chicken breast I used to eat everyday at my old cafeteria. It was sooooo dry that it was unbearable. Dat quality.

And overall, I agree with what shmot says, getting rid of soda is a huge first step (don't worry about not feeling bad about cheating once in a while!).

Seems like you're just wanting to lose weight for now, so a healthy diet is supplemental to your cardio and weight lifting.

What's your routine?
My current routine is pretty simple mostly because I'm a beginner

5 Sets of 10 Reps each Pushups, Crunches, Lunges, Pull-ups, and 20 minutes of cardio daily

I would obviously take any advice. Also yeah I hate my cafe's food dry and bland =.=

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
what do you mean by open-legged planche? you mean a straddle planche?

are you saying you can hold a straddle planche but can't muscle-up? :x

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
How on earth do people cope with biceps? I rarely ever have 2 days off work and it's incredibly annoying when your biceps are sore and weak.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
what do you mean by open-legged planche? you mean a straddle planche?

are you saying you can hold a straddle planche but can't muscle-up? :x
Errr, sure. If I recall, straddled planche has legs bent with legs open. All I got is legs straight, for the most part, but spread open. I thought straddled had legs open and bent. And no I can't do a muscle up. I can do dips with ease since training tris and weighted dips are a regular. Pull ups are no problem as I do lat training and weighted pull ups. It's that d*** transition from a pull up to a dip haha. It's so weird. I'm trying to keep good form and not cheat by swinging my leg too.

At one point I started training for front levers, but I figured I should get muscles ups 100% and planches 100% before I start a new endeavor haha.

:D

my training for muscle ups was a little... specific. i tried to break the exercise down into separate components, mastered each, then was able to perform the finished product. now i am perfectly comfortable with the exercise, and have noticed that all aspects of back power improved concurrently; as an example, my 6rm for weighted pull-ups went up by 20kgs (30kgs --> 50kgs) over a 3 month period of not actually doing weighted pull-ups at all.

i've actually been meaning to make a video about this.

anyway, so i started with normal and weighted pull-ups. in an effort to make the exercise more powerful, i discovered the 'sternum pull-up', as demonstrated in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COKlK8CtByY

should note that in the video, he actually does a sternum chin-up (the grip is facing towards instead of away), not a sternum pull-up, but the idea is there. use momentum to travel above the bar.

for the next step, i came up with something i call the 'elbow up'. no videos here, since i came up with it, and havent filmed anything yet. basically like a sternum pull-up, but this time, trying to point one elbow to the sky. drop back down and use the other elbow this time. generating momentum, and practicing getting into the dip position.

the comes the 'double elbow up'. basically an elbow up with both elbows pointing at the sky. kind of like a muscle up without the dip at the top.

then muscle ups with a big swing of the legs, progressing to a muscle up with good form.

long process. took me about 3 months from start to end. totally worth it though. and like i said, i got so much stronger in the process.
I'll try this based on the descriptions you gave me.

How on earth do people cope with biceps? I rarely ever have 2 days off work and it's incredibly annoying when your biceps are sore and weak.
My biceps never get sore anymore. I generally don't like doing bis.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Errr, sure. If I recall, straddled planche has legs bent with legs open. All I got is legs straight, for the most part, but spread open. I thought straddled had legs open and bent. And no I can't do a muscle up. I can do dips with ease since training tris and weighted dips are a regular. Pull ups are no problem as I do lat training and weighted pull ups. It's that d*** transition from a pull up to a dip haha. It's so weird. I'm trying to keep good form and not cheat by swinging my leg too.
sorry if i seem skeptical, but i can do (last time i attempted) 8 consecutive muscle ups and am nowhere near a straddle planche yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiL_ZdVMcM4

but props, either way ;D

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
sorry if i seem skeptical, but i can do (last time i attempted) 8 consecutive muscle ups and am nowhere near a straddle planche yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiL_ZdVMcM4

but props, either way ;D
Oy, I'm not saying I can hold it forever. Haha, I can hold it for 5-10 seconds.

Edit: Part of the reason I say it's strength plus technique. I've practiced holding planches more than I have trying to do muscle ups. So whether or not my baseline strength is there for both, my technique definitely sucks for muscle ups.

Attila_

BRoomer
It all comes done to how you train and what you train for.

I can do 4x50kg weighted pull-ups, but can't preacher curl 50kgs. True story.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So was talking to a friend a while about some of the exercises and routines he's gone through. He's gonna take me through a cross fit "session" for funsies on Saturday. From how he described it, sounds very daunting.

Also, interesting thing he mentioned about just carrying a backpack around with about 20-30 lbs in it. Keep your posture straight as you just have the thing on all day. Never thought about exercising like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
anyone else out there full bodyweight and somewhat advanced?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I'm guessing he meant to have the word doing in between there and bodyweight though.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I'm guessing he meant to have the word doing in between there and bodyweight though.

it wasn't really bad english, but okay.

anyone else out there perform nothing but bodyweight exercises for their workout routine, and, if you do, are you somewhat advanced?

i'm guess that's a bit easier to understand for you?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
This is a great routine. You guys should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AuIURhCoAA
Hahaha, I actually watched that whole episode. I never watch that show, My Wife and Kids? or In the Family or something like that, but when I came across the description, I had to give it a go. Also, I saw that jacked actor in the beginning of the ep, so of course Imma watch it XD What's his name by the way. I know he played Terrel (?) in White Chicks too.

Of all the parks and playgrounds I've seen, none of them look like that. The same guy did "ghetto workouts" no? That's like a play ground for the gymnasts. Playgrounds I see don't use any of that stuff the guy used in the vid.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Of all the parks and playgrounds I've seen, none of them look like that. The same guy did "ghetto workouts" no? That's like a play ground for the gymnasts. Playgrounds I see don't use any of that stuff the guy used in the vid.
it's somewhere in new york. i'm assuming it was designed specifically for what they're using it for and not a children's playground. there are a bunch of videos on youtube with hannibal and others working out there, i guess he has training videos out as well (not sure if that is the ghetto workouts you're talking about, haven't heard of them specifically).

as for people doing only bodyweight exercises not training legs, i'd have to say that's majorally true and a large reason as to why they are able to do some of the things they do.

i definitely don't want chicken legs, even if it does make certain bodyweight feats easier. i usually do pistol squats, and for now that seems sufficient with giving my legs at least some sort of definition. better than nothing i guess.

i'm also benching a bit to help build my chest up, but that's purely for aesthetic purposes. other than that, i just find that i enjoy the challenges of bodyweight exercises more than those of general oly weightlifting, for example. even if i'm not going to get as big, it doesn't really bother me.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Dumbbell flyes or bench press?

Also I've noticed a lot of things about working out, most advice websites (and you guys) tend to automatically assume you want to get Arnold style muscles, when my eventual goal is this:

It's surprising how hard it is to find advice just to get you there on the Internet.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Well there's a lot of weight loss advice but not so much weight gain, and a lot of "Do this but if you do to much of them you'll end up out of proportion" but not a lot of "Well to get this medium build do X amount of this".

Shade

Smash Cadet
Well there's a lot of weight loss advice but not so much weight gain, and a lot of "Do this but if you do to much of them you'll end up out of proportion" but not a lot of "Well to get this medium build do X amount of this".
I have to agree with you there. I don't want to be super-omega jacked. I just want to be fit, but every site assumes you want to get into pro-bodybuilding.

Top Bottom