• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Any tips on healing it up faster??

That sucks. It's a penalty for overexerting. I sprained or pulled my forearm recently, and it's gonna be a handicap for a bit. Do what ya can.

I've been focusing really hard on fitness this last month and I'm huge now! 10lb gain complete! My new goal of 170 lbs is right there. I can't believe I'm so close now, and at the pace I'm at that's guaranteed by the end of the semester. Awwww yeaaaaaaa.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wait, did you gain 10 lbs in one month? I coulda sworn you had started earlier than that o.O?

I actually started on a rather famous program called West Side for Skinny *******s. I'm doing only the basic routine though, but the goal is to get to about 170 as well, while maintaining speed and increasing vertical.

The only downside seems that I bought a suit last month, and it might not fit me if I do put on that much weight >.> Maybe I should return it now.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Or, be huge in a slightly tight suit.

Restarting creatine is always a 10lb boost, and eating at a buffet every meal helps.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Ok so I got my weights I was going to wait till Sunday to use them but screw it I'm using it today.

Edit:

*3 hours later*

Right ok so these were great, I wonder how long it'll be before these become light.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So far so good. I feel like my vertical has increased a bit, enabling me to grab the rim clean on a good jump. Also feel a bit bigger and stronger.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Just started going to the gym again like last week. I'm currently like 128lbs, looking to gain muscle mass and weight. I'm on a 5 day routine right now with no cardio, mainly just lifting. Only supplements I'm on right now are my Pre-Workout Cocktail which consists of Jack3d, Con-cret (Creatine HCl), and some extra Beta Alanine. Post workout is 30g Whey Protein with more Creatine, also taking multivitamin and starting Fish Oil. I'm intaking about 90g of whey a day with what I additionally eat.

Shade

Smash Cadet
5 day routine? Is it something specific you got off the internet? Sounds a bit too intense for a starter.
Speaking of routine's I actually plan to start lifting come next week. Any idea's for a starting routine?

Chaco

Never Logs In
5 day routine? Is it something specific you got off the internet? Sounds a bit too intense for a starter.
Nope, and it's not to hard, haha. I have a friend who was a professional bodybuilder for a good while. And to be honest I love pushing myself, and the inner peace I get afterwards. Definitely not to intense for me, and Im looking to push myself and pack on mass.

Shade

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Mark Rippetoe is a beast at what he does. Follow his stuff, and you'll be good.

@Shade, what are your goals?
Well at the moment I'm just trying to get fit, but the idea of gaining some isn't to bad either. If it helps I'm 172 pounds and 6'2.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well if you went all out on a strength/bulking gain like Starting Strength or something, no harm in taking a break, change it up to try and cut some of the fat off before you bulk again. If you're just looking for another routine that can help you put on weight, I recommend West Side for Skinny *******s. The guy who made it is probably more famous than Mark Rippetoe. It's actually what I'm doing right now, and so far so good.

Shade

Smash Cadet
Well if you went all out on a strength/bulking gain like Starting Strength or something, no harm in taking a break, change it up to try and cut some of the fat off before you bulk again. If you're just looking for another routine that can help you put on weight, I recommend West Side for Skinny *******s. The guy who made it is probably more famous than Mark Rippetoe. It's actually what I'm doing right now, and so far so good.
I'll give it a look and see whats best. I'm still personally trying to decide what I want to do anyway. I'd want to get cut/fit but I heard that's almost harder than just bulking up?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd say it's harder. Gotta eat healthy as well while cutting lol. You get used to eating a lot, and then all of a sudden...eat less?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'd suggest not even entertaining the idea of cutting. It's very hard on your body, and I'd only recommend it for professional bodybuilders, if even that. It's much better and much healthier to have a strict diet and lift, so you'll grow AND stay lean rather than packing on excess body fat. The dumb myth that stuffing one's face with garbage and excess calories makes muscle grow is just silly. Only protein can make a muscle grow. If two people of the exact same genetic predisposition did the exact same workouts, and one ate nothing but peanut butter and the other nothing but egg whites, they'd both gain the exact same amount of muscle, but the peanut butter guy would be considerably fatter.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/

Shade

Smash Cadet
I'd suggest not even entertaining the idea of cutting. It's very hard on your body, and I'd only recommend it for professional bodybuilders, if even that. It's much better and much healthier to have a strict diet and lift, so you'll grow AND stay lean rather than packing on excess body fat. The dumb myth that stuffing one's face with garbage and excess calories makes muscle grow is just silly. Only protein can make a muscle grow. If two people of the exact same genetic predisposition did the exact same workouts, and one ate nothing but peanut butter and the other nothing but egg whites, they'd both gain the exact same amount of muscle, but the peanut butter guy would be considerably fatter.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/
Thanks for the link! Yeah it was just an idea. Everyone I ask seems to say it's probably not worth it. Plus I'd rather just stay in shape and healthy. So is it probably a good idea to pick up a diet plan (Though i'm on a college meal plan not sure how well that'll work) and is coffee ok to have?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for bombarding people with questions.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Thanks for the link! Yeah it was just an idea. Everyone I ask seems to say it's probably not worth it. Plus I'd rather just stay in shape and healthy. So is it probably a good idea to pick up a diet plan (Though i'm on a college meal plan not sure how well that'll work) and is coffee ok to have?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for bombarding people with questions.
No sweat. I highly recommend that site, by the way. It's run by a professional, natural bodybuilder by the moniker of Scooby and every piece of info on it is free. It's realistic, it doesn't bull**** people so they'll buy bogus products. It lets you know up front that you're going to have to work your *** off 5 days a week to get results, but it's what I owe my, thus far, success to.

As for food choices, from what I've researched and done myself, there aren't specific foods to avoid, so much as specific qualities in food. A general rule of thumb is to not drink your calories (unless it's a drink with high-protein content). Secondly, saturated fats, simple carbs and high-sugar/processed foods should be avoid. The goal is to balance your calories out while getting enough protein and drinking stuff like orange juice, while okay on occasion, takes up a lot of caloric allowance without providing much protein.

In my opinion, some terrific foods for bodybuilding are:

-Oatmeal (which I usually mix my protein supplement into to sweeten it without excess sugar)
-Tuna
-Egg whites
-Fat free cottage cheese
-Skim milk
-Plain yogurt
-Flax seed
-Beans
-Peanuts
-Fruits
-Veggies (peas are exceptional protein sources)
-Lean meats
-Lean turkey burgers (preferably cooked with a fat-reducing grill like the George Foreman one. To be honest, Jennie-O lean turkey burgers are a Godsend, since, with the fat cooked out, they're about 28g protein for one burger at roughly 80 calories--that's ****ing unreal)

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
WS4SB is more of an intermediate program. Starting Strength has you increasing the weight every workout, rather than every week.

Since you are just starting out, you will make gains very fast, so it is best do Starting Strength for several months to get the most out of it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So I'm doing a few reps of incline bench presses, and I change the angle down a notch after every 2 sets. I heard this is a good thing to do and I need to spice up my workout a bit. Also I need to start doing some shoulder presses or something because I've been ignoring my shoulders it seems.

They've strengthened slightly with the rest of my arms but now I'm worried my biceps will look out of proportion compared to them if I don't pay attention to them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like it's hard to "heal" it when you are lifting weights...even if it's not corresponding to your shoulders when you exercise.
Spoke to another dude in the gym today who had the same thing, only for 6 months. I could do my bench presses without problem today though, but didn't do shoulders directly. Gonna check out a pro soon yeah.

It's a shame, cause I'm finally on a good weight now with 210 lbs. Need to focus a bit more on my lower back though, and a bit more abs but those shoulder injuries really suck for my progress.

:phone:

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Starting strength
To be clear, I was suggesting a beginner workout routine, not asking whether or not you were looking to start getting strength. StrongLifts and Starting Strength are the two most popular ones.

So I'm doing a few reps of incline bench presses, and I change the angle down a notch after every 2 sets. I heard this is a good thing to do and I need to spice up my workout a bit. Also I need to start doing some shoulder presses or something because I've been ignoring my shoulders it seems.

They've strengthened slightly with the rest of my arms but now I'm worried my biceps will look out of proportion compared to them if I don't pay attention to them.
Do you ever workout your legs (not running, that doesn't count)? I always see you post about your upper body workouts.

Shade

Smash Cadet
To be clear, I was suggesting a beginner workout routine, not asking whether or not you were looking to start getting strength. StrongLifts and Starting Strength are the two most popular ones.

Do you ever workout your legs (not running, that doesn't count)? I always see you post about your upper body workouts.
Oh ok I was obviously confused then sorry :p Thanks for the info then!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Not really, but unlike my upper body my legs are pretty good as I've been walking constantly since I was little. I must walk a couple of miles every week just getting to and from work.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
If you are working out your upper body, you need to workout your lower body just as hard or even harder to avoid muscle imbalances. All of your strength comes from your hips down. You'll also be able to progress more if you have an even workout.

Or you can ignore them and look like johnny bravo and everyone will make fun of you when they see you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My legs are strong, just never paid much attention to the lower back. I do squat every week though, but I just noticed that the extra weight of my bulking tends to go to my lower back most.

Guess that means all back day tonight...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Not really, but unlike my upper body my legs are pretty good as I've been walking constantly since I was little. I must walk a couple of miles every week just getting to and from work.
no.

walking =/= weight training.

if you don't squat, you don't have strong legs.

get on it.

If you are working out your upper body, you need to workout your lower body just as hard or even harder to avoid muscle imbalances. All of your strength comes from your hips down. You'll also be able to progress more if you have an even workout.

Or you can ignore them and look like johnny bravo and everyone will make fun of you when they see you.
not just that. if you want to get big up top, lower body training will help. more hormone release from the extra training will help your upper body too. not to mention the extra body fat you will burn.

people seem to ignore that part...

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I'll do this.

This thread has a habit of making it seem like one second you're normal you, then next second you're horrible imbalanced and deformed. Plus like I posted a while back everyone seems to be interested in weight loss and not weight gain, so all this advice is useless to me.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Reminds me of something I read a while back...let me see if I can find it. Talks about how the guy doesn't prefer to weight train his legs.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/fitness...odybuilding-workout-split-what-to-do-instead/

LOL doesheevenlift.jpeg

I'll do this.

This thread has a habit of making it seem like one second you're normal you, then next second you're horrible imbalanced and deformed. Plus like I posted a while back everyone seems to be interested in weight loss and not weight gain, so all this advice is useless to me.
Ok. Just as long as you don't regret your decision in the long run.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've been running now for a good 2 weeks now. I run everyday (except for Wednesday, rest day) for 30 minutes. Although my right foot feels more tired halfway into the run, it's been feeling great and easier everyday I run.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
You mean, because you don't want to.

Squats are the best exercise in the gym, irregardless of what you're goals are.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
No, I mean I don't need to.

Like you said, squats are for stopping yourself becoming out of proportion and weight loss, things I don't need right now.

Top Bottom