• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Chaco

Never Logs In
I get good Protein intake, however, I'm uncertain as far as nutrition goes still. I hardly ever have the time for 6 meals, especially when I'm working, so it's a bit unrealistic for me. (8 hour shifts constantly moving as a server.) I'm an ectomorph, and I have extremely hard time gaining weight. I believe my body fat percentage is like 2% and that was with eating an unhealthy as possible before. My nutrition is worlds better than it was, but is still pretty terrible. So what's a viable option to the 6 meals with controlled portions? Increasing serving size into perhaps 4, but still following a nutrition standard? It's really not an area I'm all that worried about, because I really have never had problems with weight, except being underweight, should I be more concerned about it? And as far as protein goes, should I stick with a hydrolyzed whey then, so I get a more pure form of protein and don't have to worry about junk fillers and whatnot? I believe the Serious Mass has 20g of Sugar (Maltodextrin) in it out of the 252 carbs per serving, with like 4g of dietary fiber. So definitely cut it out as well?

And as far as form goes, I really am a stickler over form. I see a lot bigger guys throwing weights up and whatnot and guys my age arching their backs all the time and I'd rater do less weight and actually be able to control it than put myself at risk for injury and make myself look like I can push massive weight when I know I can't. I've read Scooby's stuff before, and the beginner and intermediate stuff was always way to easy for me because in relation to my low body fat I can lift my bodyweight easily with pushups and pullups and whatnot from years of sports. So, I kind've skip jacked around that stuff and went straight into a 5 day routine.

I also had a friend who was a Professional body builder and personal trainer advise me to get on a weight gainer, but I kind've see that as unnecessary now with what you've pointed out. He advised BSN's True Mass, but since I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts I went with ON Serious Mass. So pretty much ignore what he said about weight gainers all together?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I get good Protein intake, however, I'm uncertain as far as nutrition goes still. I hardly ever have the time for 6 meals, especially when I'm working, so it's a bit unrealistic for me. (8 hour shifts constantly moving as a server.) I'm an ectomorph, and I have extremely hard time gaining weight. I believe my body fat percentage is like 2% and that was with eating an unhealthy as possible before. My nutrition is worlds better than it was, but is still pretty terrible. So what's a viable option to the 6 meals with controlled portions? Increasing serving size into perhaps 4, but still following a nutrition standard? It's really not an area I'm all that worried about, because I really have never had problems with weight, except being underweight, should I be more concerned about it? And as far as protein goes, should I stick with a hydrolyzed whey then, so I get a more pure form of protein and don't have to worry about junk fillers and whatnot? I believe the Serious Mass has 20g of Sugar (Maltodextrin) in it out of the 252 carbs per serving, with like 4g of dietary fiber. So definitely cut it out as well?
Though I'm no dietitian, I can tell you what's worked for me. When it comes to 6 meals, the best thing you can do is plan things out and find ways to make non-perishable mini-meals. That site I showed you has a ton of awesome recipes for quick, healthy and protein-rich snacks. My personal favorite is the recipe for what he calls Scooby-poo bars, which are made of natural peanut butter, organic fruit jam, skim milk, oatmeal, flax seed, honey and protein powder.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/quick-healthy-meals/ is a good place to look. But you can make your own if you follow nutritional guidelines. Sometimes, though it's not appetizing, you can just take in a can of tuna, beans or pack some protein powder with you so you can pour it into a glass of milk at work.

As for protein powders... 252g of carbs... I'm honestly speechless. That is so much carbohydrate that it's almost dangerous to take in at once. In my opinion, not taking any supplements is best, but for people on the go, that's obviously not a reasonable request. So my suggestion would be Gold Standard 100% Whey. It's about twice as expensive as the Wal-Mart brands, but it's, as the name suggests, 100% natural and untainted with fats, sugars and carbs. It's worth it though, since it'd take roughly 4 scoops of the knock-off Wal-Mart brands with pretentious, meat-headed names made to appeal to males who need to reaffirm they masculinity with teenie-weenie syndrome "NUCLEAR MASS ATTACK XXX FOR MANLY MEN," to compare to one scoop of the good stuff in terms of pure protein quality. In my experienced, isolates and concentrates don't make a huge difference. Muscle-building is too slow a process to be pedantic over protein types and different kinds of amino acids in my opinion. In regards to being a hard-gainer, hard-gainers don't exist in a way most may think, so much as they're just synonymous with people who bodybuild without illegal substances. As a reference to the notion that building muscle natural takes a <long> time, look at these veteran natural BBers:

http://www.naturalbodybuilding.com/#

Note that none of them are "huge." They're extremely ripped and buff, but not "huge" like some of the peterheads you see pumping nitrogen at the gym.

Also, if you were 2% body fat, you'd be on life support, as your nervous system would have no insulation. :laugh:

And as far as form goes, I really am a stickler over form. I see a lot bigger guys throwing weights up and whatnot and guys my age arching their backs all the time and I'd rater do less weight and actually be able to control it than put myself at risk for injury and make myself look like I can push massive weight when I know I can't. I've read Scooby's stuff before, and the beginner and intermediate stuff was always way to easy for me because in relation to my low body fat I can lift my bodyweight easily with pushups and pullups and whatnot from years of sports. So, I kind've skip jacked around that stuff and went straight into a 5 day routine.
Which is good. And yeah, the beginner and intermediate programs he offers are pretty easy for someone who's in decent shape, so his more advanced programs are a great place to start.

I also had a friend who was a Professional body builder and personal trainer advise me to get on a weight gainer, but I kind've see that as unnecessary now with what you've pointed out. He advised BSN's True Mass, but since I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts I went with ON Serious Mass. So pretty much ignore what he said about weight gainers all together?
I'm amazed that a personal trainer would suggest that. Then again, despite titles, a lot of people really don't know what they're talking about. Not to say that you have reason to trust me anymore than them, but hopefully common sense/logic dictates that you'll see what I'm saying is true. :p

So yes, I'd ignore that. Most supplements are literally toxic, with heavy metals in them and such. That's why if I can't afford protein at a given time (since the good stuff IS expensive), I just go with whole foods rather than buying toxic crap. Some of the biggest mistakes people make come from listening to people just because they say they're pro BBers, or because they have massive guns. Always question what you're told, and use common sense to determine its validity. I've followed a mostly whole food diet plan, lifted with good form and stayed on schedule, and I've seen tremendous results. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you need to do anything more than that to build muscle. Eat right, train right and be dedicated, and you'll grow.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So the last pages got me thinking about that I should be dong squats and oats... Anyways, I noticed that I run easier and at a constant pace at night than at noon. Anyone else notice something odd like that when you run?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Though I'm no dietitian, I can tell you what's worked for me. When it comes to 6 meals, the best thing you can do is plan things out and find ways to make non-perishable mini-meals. That site I showed you has a ton of awesome recipes for quick, healthy and protein-rich snacks. My personal favorite is the recipe for what he calls Scooby-poo bars, which are made of natural peanut butter, organic fruit jam, skim milk, oatmeal, flax seed, honey and protein powder.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/quick-healthy-meals/ is a good place to look. But you can make your own if you follow nutritional guidelines. Sometimes, though it's not appetizing, you can just take in a can of tuna, beans or pack some protein powder with you so you can pour it into a glass of milk at work.

As for protein powders... 252g of carbs... I'm honestly speechless. That is so much carbohydrate that it's almost dangerous to take in at once. In my opinion, not taking any supplements is best, but for people on the go, that's obviously not a reasonable request. So my suggestion would be Gold Standard 100% Whey. It's about twice as expensive as the Wal-Mart brands, but it's, as the name suggests, 100% natural and untainted with fats, sugars and carbs. It's worth it though, since it'd take roughly 4 scoops of the knock-off Wal-Mart brands with pretentious, meat-headed names made to appeal to males who need to reaffirm they masculinity with teenie-weenie syndrome "NUCLEAR MASS ATTACK XXX FOR MANLY MEN," to compare to one scoop of the good stuff in terms of pure protein quality. In my experienced, isolates and concentrates don't make a huge difference. Muscle-building is too slow a process to be pedantic over protein types and different kinds of amino acids in my opinion. In regards to being a hard-gainer, hard-gainers don't exist in a way most may think, so much as they're just synonymous with people who bodybuild without illegal substances. As a reference to the notion that building muscle natural takes a <long> time, look at these veteran natural BBers:

http://www.naturalbodybuilding.com/#

Note that none of them are "huge." They're extremely ripped and buff, but not "huge" like some of the peterheads you see pumping nitrogen at the gym.

Also, if you were 2% body fat, you'd be on life support, as your nervous system would have no insulation. :laugh:

Which is good. And yeah, the beginner and intermediate programs he offers are pretty easy for someone who's in decent shape, so his more advanced programs are a great place to start.

I'm amazed that a personal trainer would suggest that. Then again, despite titles, a lot of people really don't know what they're talking about. Not to say that you have reason to trust me anymore than them, but hopefully common sense/logic dictates that you'll see what I'm saying is true. :p

So yes, I'd ignore that. Most supplements are literally toxic, with heavy metals in them and such. That's why if I can't afford protein at a given time (since the good stuff IS expensive), I just go with whole foods rather than buying toxic crap. Some of the biggest mistakes people make come from listening to people just because they say they're pro BBers, or because they have massive guns. Always question what you're told, and use common sense to determine its validity. I've followed a mostly whole food diet plan, lifted with good form and stayed on schedule, and I've seen tremendous results. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you need to do anything more than that to build muscle. Eat right, train right and be dedicated, and you'll grow.
Alright, so I'll definitely rid myself of the Serious Mass, and ironically enough the first protein I bought was Platinum ON Hydrolyzed, it was 30g per serving instead of the 24. So sad to think I bought the right thing first go around and his information veered me off, luckily I still have it.

and yeah as far as the 2% goes, that's just what my gym teacher told me last year, and honestly I thought it was a load of crock but I didn't contest it. I've never done a skin caliper test or anything, they had some weird thing that was digital that you held to your bicep, which I can automatically see how it is majorly flawed.

And definitely thanks for the advice and talking, I had a lot of questions but you know how it is with asking some people, especially avid gym goers of a younger age. The advice you get can be so piss poor that it's laughable. I'll definitely try to follow some more strict nutrition and switch back to a pure protein source, and do away with all those carbs and excess calories. I hadn't even thought of tuna and I'm a fan of it, it's just been years since I've eaten. Also probably about to reaffirm my love of salmon.

So I'll update over the course of the next few weeks and months and see how the progress goes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So much info to process lol. If I have to put my 2 cents here, and assuming Verm didn't say anything about it, don't be afraid of getting your fat in. Nuts, Fish, and anything like that...If you stick to Verm's idea of 20 cals per lb, and you end up around 2800 calories, I would say 60 grams (540) of those needs to be fat. They help kick start your hormone production, and if you don't consume enough fats, then your body will target protein to burn.

Lol, I remember trying Serious Mass 2 years ago. Everytime I did, I'd feel like throwing up/going to the bathroom given how much calories I'd consume in one go.

I guess I oughta say, I'm in week 3 of WSFSB, and I've made progress gains of adding 5 lbs per week on each exercise or lowering the resistance on others (like pull ups.) The only two I seem to be struggling with are cable rows and lat pulls...

Chaco

Never Logs In
It dries my mouth out too which is terrible and the gas is awful.

Also, deathly allergic to all nuts, so it's out of the question always.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My apartment has been out of food for a full week now. Can't go grocery shopping until my roomie's "Hell week" clears up. I just feel so disgusted trying to eat healthy, while out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey, what's everyones take on drinking chocolate milk? I haven't bothered in a long time due to the sugar content, but I'd be lying if I said it's not a favorite "drink" of mine.

dottedboy

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm new here.

I just thought I'd check this post out. After reading the first post, I think I'd have to somewhat disagree on this bit of advice-

- Don't "diet", just be sure to make healthy choices with your food
A few months ago, I started dieting by reducing the portions of food I ate. Since then, I have been steadily losing weight- I've lost over 20 pounds and I continue to lose.

Looking back at how much I used to eat makes me sick. I always had at least tripple serving sizes on everything I ate, or 'snacks' would be the equivalent of meals. For me, cutting excess was easy and very effective because there was a lot to cut out.

In case you are wondering, I still eat a variety of foods, including deserts and junk food, but in smaller portions. I do exercise semi-regularly, and I plan to increase my exercise amount to regularly at a minimum. I feel like exercise is easier with all of that fat gone- I have more to lose, but my body feels like it has more freedom to move and more energy to work with.

For personal reasons, I do not wish to become ripped like Hercules. I have a target weight between 160-170, and if it become clear that my weight above that is muscle, then I'll stop aiming for weight loss.

I'm currently about 198 pounds. It has been many years since I was under 200 pounds. The future is looking bright!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can you also talk about how you exercised? Cardio? Weight lifting? Truthfully, you CAN lose weight if you go to McDonalds everyday, but still go under 2000 calories...it's just not as healthy if you choose to eat a bit more healthier, which I think that quote was trying to get at.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We almost lost a Meno today.

Was feeling pretty pumped, so I went for an extra rep on the bench without a spot. Did not succeed going further than six inches above my face after dropping and I failed at reaching one of the lower safety racks. Thankfully some dude appeared in time, but I really almost crushed my throat. Super embarrassing.

But whatever, I took advantage of my almost-died adrenaline and had one of my more productive days, and at least, I am willing to die trying. :mad:

I'm currently about 198 pounds. It has been many years since I was under 200 pounds. The future is looking bright!
Good luck Dotted! Minimal regular exercise is the #1 healthiest action you can take. It's so so easy when you fall into it, and has the largest pool of benefits.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Another stupid question, but...not sure if the scale at the gym was messed up or not, but 2 weeks ago, I weighted 169 (+ or - 1) and today I checked, weighted 166 (+ or -1). Though I have been making gains so...good or bad?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I guess the difference was that I checked earlier than I usually do during the day. Good point.

Also, I always keep a spotter on the bench, especially on my last set. Though I have had to help someone who had the bar just get stuck on his chest. I never saw it as embarrassing as much as "that sucks."

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I usually have it on my first set, I just got greedy.

Also, to answer your question about chocolate milk, I think it might even be preferred to plain milk. I won't be able to find it, but I remember seeing a study that compared plain to choco milk. Athletes on the choco milk performed better.

Some sugar is good. Sugar is energy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, when I drink chocolate milk...I go all in. So I might have to control myself xD. I can finish half a gallon in one day if I wanted too.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
When I overdo it on bench press, I usually, lower the weight so that it rests on my chest, flex my stomach, and roll the bar down to my legs. It's a lifesaver, quite literally.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I noticed that...the hinges on the bench press that adjust how high the bar is, if it's low...it's so much harder to get it off. Does that matter?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@verm: my rig would get crushed doing that...

I usually have it on my first set, I just got greedy.

Also, to answer your question about chocolate milk, I think it might even be preferred to plain milk. I won't be able to find it, but I remember seeing a study that compared plain to choco milk. Athletes on the choco milk performed better.

Some sugar is good. Sugar is energy.
more carbs --> more recovery.

true story.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
[COLLAPSE="Warning, attractive swimmer boy"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Currently my ideal body. Time to WORK ON MY DIET. >:

I don't know where to begin. Where can I get good WORKOUT TIPS? I dont want to get ripped or anything, just fit~

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
If you just want to get a trim body, do cardio. Swim, jog, bike, etc. As far as diet goes, in my experience, 20-25 calories per lbs of body weight is ideal for weight control, so if you're not overweight, don't diet, just don't overeat and do 20 minutes of cardio at least four times a week.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
@verm: my rig would get crushed doing that...

more carbs --> more recovery.

true story.
Well, it's better to squish your gonads for a sec than to die. :laugh:

Plus, you can just tilt your pelvis so you don't steamroll the boys.

Edit: I can't believe I hit the quote button instead of edit. **** lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So my lower back still hurts pretty bad after screwing it up with dead lifts on Thursday. Hurts quite a bit to bend down to grab something. Been taking advil, ice, and what not...hope it heals fast.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
[COLLAPSE="Warning, attractive swimmer boy"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Currently my ideal body. Time to WORK ON MY DIET. >:

I don't know where to begin. Where can I get good WORKOUT TIPS? I dont want to get ripped or anything, just fit~
doesheevenlift.jpeg

Also about failing the bench press, just leave the clips off on one side. If you feel like you can't press it up, tilt it to that one side so the weights fall off.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
So my lower back still hurts pretty bad after screwing it up with dead lifts on Thursday. Hurts quite a bit to bend down to grab something. Been taking advil, ice, and what not...hope it heals fast.
No more ice.

It should be past that phase of healing. Provided you're not getting symptoms down your leg or into your ***, I'd self-massage the area with a tennis ball.

And you might wanna see a professional.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I cut the ice after the usual 36-48 hour period. It feels much better today than it did yesterday. I have more movement, without feeling as much pain. Still can't workout though.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Two sites I use, T-nation and google scholar. Normally I rely on my natural hunger systems... But while being on something called clozerol, that is getting really really messed up and I have to measure my intake or i'll eat a tub of fish sticks to the point of throwing up, while feeling no difference in appetite.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I've only failed at bench once. I did what verm did since the gym was empty. Put weight on chest, use abs to sit up, and roll the bar down mah legs. Luckily it was light weight and just burn out from the last set. I didn't even think of tilting it to the side.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I failed doing my bench press the other week. Luckily I managed to salvage it and not hurt myself too much.

Anyway my whole body has increased, a girl I know commented that you can notice my gains even when I'm wearing a shirt, which was a great feeling I have to admit.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha, I remember a girl I know one time poking my "pecs" asking me if I had been working out. Safe to say I'm not one to brag, so I went a bit red in the face LOL. I don't even consider myself to have "pecs" per say. -Humble approach.-

Anyways, went back to the gym since Thursday where I screwed my lower back up. Did cable rows and seated DB cleans. Didn't feel any pain in my back despite it being "sore" all day.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yeah I just dismissed what she said at first because I didn't believe her and thought she was just trying to make me feel good, but she was adamant that you could so I was well chuffed afterwards seeing as though I'm nowhere near my ideal body.

Anyway I need to start on my arms and shoulders a bit more, my biceps and forearms have bulked up a bit but my shoulders and back have only marginally increased.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Hey, what's everyones take on drinking chocolate milk? I haven't bothered in a long time due to the sugar content, but I'd be lying if I said it's not a favorite "drink" of mine.
I drink a litre if not more of chocolate milk every 2nd day.

Tons of protein, but also a bit of fat and a decent amount of carbs.

So goooooood.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
One day in between should be enough. However, if you think your body can work out the same area multiple days in a row, go for it. you know your body better than we know yours.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
How much days inbetween biceps workouts? It feels a bit annoying being stuck to like twice a week.
I'd say depends. Beginners can do full body workouts back to back or with a day or rest in b/t. If you're not beginner, you could do a couple days rest. I been lifting for a while so I do a 4 day split w/1 day rest, so that means I do biceps with 4 days rest in between.

Edit: :( Gym closed and won't be open till after spring break. Time to go home and mooch off of brother's membership.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Fantastic, I was sitting here waiting because I heard more than twice a week was bad for you.

I'll do my biceps again on sunday and maybe Wednesday.

Top Bottom