• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Should also mention, you can't control where you lose your fat. As Verm said, it'll be easier to lose fat around your stomach if you got quite a bit of it, but otherwise, it's hard to push through that last bit so your abs can start showing.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
My shoulders are so puny. I'm pushing them to failure though.

I think this place might have had an input in getting me to start working out. I'm not too sure, I think it was the mostly helping me to get laid thing, but I'm sure this place had about 20% input in getting me started. I like the whole fact that my body doesn't care if I don't work out, and that getting a decent body relies completely on me and my ability to push myself.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I definitely need to start working out again because I've been really lax and lazy over the last year.

Sorta need help with nutrition habits though. Can anyone give me like good eating basics? Sounds dumb but I've heard from a lot of people (including this thread lol) that eating at a regular rate is great. I tend to eat only when I'm hungry, which is usually around 2 times a day (1pm and 11pm) something like that. I tend to do it too because most foods aroun my school are fast food.

Anyone have tips for easy foods or w/e would be really appreciated.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
are there certain things to avoid when looking for whey protein?

talking like specific ingredients...metals/toxins idk
I personally prefer not taking protein period, but if I had to suggest one, it'd be Gold Standard whey. It's pricey, but it's worth the price to not indulge in poison. I personally don't take any supplements, and... I've had no trouble continually progressing.

I definitely need to start working out again because I've been really lax and lazy over the last year.

Sorta need help with nutrition habits though. Can anyone give me like good eating basics? Sounds dumb but I've heard from a lot of people (including this thread lol) that eating at a regular rate is great. I tend to eat only when I'm hungry, which is usually around 2 times a day (1pm and 11pm) something like that. I tend to do it too because most foods aroun my school are fast food.

I like dividing my intake into 6 meals a day, with little snacks in between. Due to my size, I space out meals of about 500-600 calories, with 100-150 calorie snacks in between.

When it comes to portion, figure out ways to substitute something. For example, whenever I crave a pb&j, I only use one slice of whole wheat bread and that Simply Fruit jam. That alone takes about 150 calories out of the sandwich.

For food choice start Googling all the foods you see so you can get an idea of what has what in it. Avoid too much processed sugar, processed flour (bleached, etc.), saturated fats, high-sodium foods, etc. My ideal plan is to have about 20 calories per lbs of body weight. Figure that number out, and try to plan your meals and snacks accordingly. You don't need to be too pedantic about it either; just try to stay within a reasonable limit of your target calorie intake for a given meal. Having fruit/veggies handy is always terrific too, as they fill the hole without loading you up. Personally, I like apples, bananas, pears, carrots, peas and peanuts as snack items.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace

A good guideline to have in mind is to avoid eating anything that can't be found in nature. 100 calorie snack packs can't be found growing in trees. You won't see whole wheat pizzas or low fat ice cream bars outside. Make the foundation of your diet around things that you can kill or will spoil in a few days if you don't eat it. These foods might cost more, but you feel more full eating them so you'll be buying less. Also, you'll feel grrrrrrrreat!

Eat your fruits and vegetables! It seems elementary but it makes a big deal. Eggs are really good and cheap. Do you have a rice cooker? It might sound boring to you, but I made meals of chicken+rice+spinach+eggs during my spring break and I loved it. Drink only water, sometimes whole milk if you have a milk craving. Stay away from too much pasta/breads. Sandwiches are not as healthy for you as people make it seem.

If you want some sources please ask.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think the hardest thing for me is gonna be commiting to just water =\.

I know it's helpful, but I just was used to soda lol.

And I do have a rice cooker at home, all I can typically make with rice is like fried rice lol.

Anyway these are really helpful. I will definitely try all these out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I don't think you have to make that dramatic of a jump from soda to no soda. I personally see nothing wrong with having a few cheating days/meals every now and then. It also just depends on your activity level you know? Depending on what your goal is (let's just keep it if you wanna gain weight or not), you may have to eat more or less than you usually do. You said you only eat twice a day, so I whole heartedly agree with others to expand your meal portions to 4-6. Whether they are small or large, it will kickstart your metabolism, and eventually, you'll notice yourself wanting food around those times more often.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Expanding your meals to 4-6 a day is unrealistic if you have work I think. I've just been snacking more on high protein foods to make up for it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
When I say "meal" I don't necessarily mean an all out buffet. Even if you work a 8 hour shift, you should still be able to supplement yourself with a hearty breakfast, lunch around noon, perhaps a combination of snacks, then dinner, then another combination of snacks later on.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
My shoulders are so puny. I'm pushing them to failure though.

I think this place might have had an input in getting me to start working out. I'm not too sure, I think it was the mostly helping me to get laid thing, but I'm sure this place had about 20% input in getting me started. I like the whole fact that my body doesn't care if I don't work out, and that getting a decent body relies completely on me and my ability to push myself.
You shouldn't kid like that.

I mean we ALL know you are doing it for me.

<3

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Been trying to google this, but can someone tell me how much the longer variation of the EZ Curl bar weighs? At the gym, someone was using the standard short one I use for preacher curls, so I opted for the longer one. I would say it was about 4 feet long. Felt it was much tougher to use.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Been trying to google this, but can someone tell me how much the longer variation of the EZ Curl bar weighs? At the gym, someone was using the standard short one I use for preacher curls, so I opted for the longer one. I would say it was about 4 feet long. Felt it was much tougher to use.
If you're talking about the bronze-looking ones with the longer poles, they weight about 35-40lbs. They might vary though.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I was at work last night, and something AMAZING happened.

I was taking out the trash, and the dumpster was completely full. I work as a barback, so you can imagine that the bags are quite heavy with all the bottles and such.

Well, I had to hoist the bag over the top of the dumpster. One of my coworkers saw this and commented.

He said: "Damn, I didn't think your skinny *** could throw it over the top. You been liftin' weights?"

AH SAID: "Yeah, just started about a month ago."

People are noticing change, and that's what I like. Even in this month alone, I feel that my arms and chest in particular are gradually getting to where I want them to be, which is good.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So a guy I know, Lee, was telling me and my mate (who is seemingly buffer than me despite the fact he doesn't work out the lucky *******) about his workout regimen. My friend couldn't care less and was just listening to be polite, but I was taking in his every word as it seemed that Lee had lost weight and buffed up quite a lot since I last saw him.

Then it turns out he takes steroids and I was like awww man.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
They're surprisingly common. Not that you really need them to do normal people stuff anyway. If your ambition is to be a pro bodybuilder on the other hand, you'll have to one day.

I've been offered them many a time.

:phone:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I was at work last night, and something AMAZING happened.

I was taking out the trash, and the dumpster was completely full. I work as a barback, so you can imagine that the bags are quite heavy with all the bottles and such.

Well, I had to hoist the bag over the top of the dumpster. One of my coworkers saw this and commented.

He said: "Damn, I didn't think your skinny *** could throw it over the top. You been liftin' weights?"

AH SAID: "Yeah, just started about a month ago."

People are noticing change, and that's what I like. Even in this month alone, I feel that my arms and chest in particular are gradually getting to where I want them to be, which is good.
Next up, promotion to Bouncer.
Yea BUDDY! :D

So a guy I know, Lee, was telling me and my mate (who is seemingly buffer than me despite the fact he doesn't work out the lucky *******) about his workout regimen. My friend couldn't care less and was just listening to be polite, but I was taking in his every word as it seemed that Lee had lost weight and buffed up quite a lot since I last saw him.

Then it turns out he takes steroids and I was like awww man.
They're surprisingly common. Not that you really need them to do normal people stuff anyway. If your ambition is to be a pro bodybuilder on the other hand, you'll have to one day.

I've been offered them many a time.

It's interesting. I know some people at my school that do roids too. I guess it really is more common. It's weird though. It's not even a big deal. to clarify, no one said anything along the lines of "oh **** man you're gotta get yourself some help." I was just surprised that he wasn't stronger than I expected for taking steroids... benching 225-275 and you're taking drugs for that?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The amount of people that have looked at my weights and gone "I can lift that".

In fact I got so annoyed by it that I decided to test them on my workout, and it's funny to see the silent reactions when they realise that hmm, turns out lifting a weight 10 times at this awkward angle that puts strain on weaker muscles is a lot harder than being able to lift it once.

Attila_

BRoomer
4 separate compliments today regarding the weight i've put on over the last few weeks.

this stuff is easy lol

It's Doherty's. I think they have a gym in the city as well but the one I was shown was on Brunswick.
you're brave lol

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
The amount of people that have looked at my weights and gone "I can lift that".

In fact I got so annoyed by it that I decided to test them on my workout, and it's funny to see the silent reactions when they realise that hmm, turns out lifting a weight 10 times at this awkward angle that puts strain on weaker muscles is a lot harder than being able to lift it once.
Haha yea... I was doing calf raises while holding dumbbells yesterday and I see can see one guy clearly walk around me to see how much I was holding. The numbers were worn off on the front side so he walked a full 360 >.> Not that I care too much but it's just like - yo, back off and lemme alone.

Getting used to douchebags is the nature of the beast when it comes to gym-going.
Indeed. Used to it but one I don't tolerate is when one of them spits into the trash can every so often. It's disgusting and he gonna be spreading dem germs. Oh well, it's only 1 person at least.

Shade

Smash Cadet
What would you guys suggest to do for home work-outs when I have zero equipment. I'm going home over spring-break and I'm not really sure what to do.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
What would you guys suggest to do for home work-outs when I have zero equipment. I'm going home over spring-break and I'm not really sure what to do.
pushups and pullups, hold stuff and squat it, dips between two chairs. a week wont really set you back. you could also ask your local gym/YMCA for a tour or see if they offer guest passes. I once went to washington dc for a vacation and the Y a half-mile from my hotel gave out free 3-day passes on their website.

Attila_

BRoomer
Doherty's is a place for massive units with small balls only lol

Can't say I've met anyone who trains there that isn't a tool.

Top Bottom