• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
He's making fun of you for specifically asking how often you can work out biceps, as if you were really anxious to get ~*~wIcKeD gUnS~*~ which I find funny cause if you really wanna bro out, triceps/deltoid are what make your arms look big anyways.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
What's with the hate? If Pluvia wants to work his bithons, let him be :/ I know we don't wanna be "that guy" at the gym, but biceps is an important muscle to work out too. Nothin wrong with askin how often to work out a muscle group. I feel we should respect what people decide to exercise and the reasons why he or she exercises - whether it be for personal fitness, keeping a healthy life style, or even just to get bitties.

Anyway, the only thing that got my blood boiling was this d****e at the gym who was being so inconsiderate. Hoggin up the calf raise machine so that he could work out back muscles and not even re-rack his ****. What's worse - 15 minutes to closing I decided to help out the student proctors by wiping down the machines and racking the random weights left on the floor... but this kid... just keeps leaving his **** around and uses machines I cleaned and doesn't wipe them down after he's done. I swear man. That's an example of what a d-bag is to me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What's with the hate? If Pluvia wants to work his bithons, let him be :/ I know we don't wanna be "that guy" at the gym, but biceps is an important muscle to work out too. Nothin wrong with askin how often to work out a muscle group. I feel we should respect what people decide to exercise and the reasons why he or she exercises - whether it be for personal fitness, keeping a healthy life style, or even just to get bitties.
Every muscle is important, but some hold more value over others. Biceps are commonly laughed at as the "inferior" muscle compared to everything else, hence the whole "that guy" images. It's a big reason why programs often use compound lifts, rather than isolations to work your biceps. I'm obviously not an expert, but it can also be "unnecessary" for someone to work their biceps that often, when they can commit their time to a more important muscle in their body.

2cents.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I've actually ignored by arms mostly. It wasn't anxiousness to work them out, it was that I heard you can only work them out twice a week but I was sitting here thinking "Hmm I don't feel sore, but instead of possibly injuring myself I'll ask if I can do it more or if it's twice a week only due to something I don't know about".

Anyway I just want to bulk up my entire body a bit so I can pull people easier tbh, hoping to look half decent by summer, I've even started doing squats due to the advice from this place.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I have missed two workouts recently.

I don't deserve to live.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Got a couple of questions of my own...

1. Does it matter if I have someone help me get the bench off the rack during my set? I did the reps, but couldn't get the bar off at all.

2. My numbers doing dead lifts, good mornings, one legged DB squats, have all gone up on a weekly basis. However, I have noticed that my legs still look..."scrawny" whereas my upper body has shown some development. I'm naturally a basketball player first, and a lot of bball players don't exactly have thick legs, but I don't want to become top heavy. Should I be concerned?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
If you can't get the bar off by yourself, chances are you're able to do reps only by virtue of compensating for weight that's too heavy. My philosophy is that training for size alone is one of the dumbest things a person can do, and that training for functional strength should preside over it. That being said, you should be able to do everything in the lift yourself. Ideally, you should never <need> a spotter to do a good set, however, it is always, of course, advisable they be there just in case you reach failure prematurely. Point stands though that they should not be <needed>, unless you're doing drop/pyramid sets.

A was spotting a guy just tonight who had the same problem that he couldn't get the bar off, but could do reps.

As for number two, it depends on how much weight you're doing in comparison. You should find your 1RM and do around 75-80% of it, depending on what feels safe and comfortable. So, if you have a maximum deadlift of 300lbs, if you can perform it safely, do around 240lbs for reps. Not to mention, you've gotta mix your workouts up. Deadlifts and goodmornings target similar key muscles (hammies) and OLDB squats will rarely be enough to put meat on your legs. Try lunges, adductor flyes and maybe a machine leg press. Once you're comfortable, you can do variations of the squat and deadlift, like sumo and stiff-legged, respectively.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Alright thanks. I've just been following the WSFSB routine, which is a mixture of high weight, low reps in some exercises (Bench, deadlift) and then higher rep counts in exercises like OLDB, pull ups, etc. The routine has a bunch of exercises to choose from, but I've been sort of hesitant to change exercises unless I feel like I start plateauing. I'm gonna go re-read the routine and see if it says anything about changing exercises.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
1. Does it matter if I have someone help me get the bench off the rack during my set? I did the reps, but couldn't get the bar off at all.
Like, a lift off? Maybe I'm not up to the weight this matters for, but I've always been able to unrack myself. Pretty negligible imo. Possible even preferred? Why waste energy unracking, you're on the bench to bench.

If you can't get the bar off by yourself, chances are you're able to do reps only by virtue of compensating for weight that's too heavy.
huh

My philosophy is that training for size alone is one of the dumbest things a person can do, and that training for functional strength should preside over it.
curlz 4 gurlz bro

I dunno about some of these words you say.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've definitely been in favor of strength training programs, but with that being said, it helps to have some mass in basketball as well. I like the program I'm on, because it feels like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Like, a lift off? Maybe I'm not up to the weight this matters for, but I've always been able to unrack myself. Pretty negligible imo. Possible even preferred? Why waste energy unracking, you're on the bench to bench.

huh
You should train the full range of motion, dood. If you can't unrack a bar, then you have trouble in the apex of the range, which means you're probably benching too shallow, or artificially limiting the range of motion. Sure, you don't <have> to spend the energy actually unracking it, but if you can't, it suggests that you're not able to support the current weight through a full range of motion.

Nothing's more embarrassing (okay, I'll correct that: I can't immediately think of anything more embarrassing) than having 50lbs of excess beef on you, and getting into a situation where you have to demonstrate strength in the extreme ROMs lol.

As I'm sure I've drilled enough into people's heads by now, my creed is that if you can't support the weight through the full range of motion with zero assistance or support other than the static contractions of the target muscle(s) for at least 2 seconds up and down for 4 reps, then the weight's too much and you're not benefiting in a large way from it.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Or you might just have a crappy rack.

The only other time I had difficulty unracking was at my old rec center. Their ancient bench was at a weird height and wasn't particularly natural to lift off from.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
if the height is weird and you can't change it try just closing your grip width a lil? wouldnt worry about it either way.

edit: I signed up for a zumba class. i dare someone to hate

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I did zumba once, I was the only guy. Prepare for a lot of hip poppin action.

Been slack this past few months., could literally see how scrawny I was becoming. Getting back into exercising somewhat now that Uni started Jiu Jitsu classes again and I can already see the difference.
Looking to increase strength. Squat away!

Forearms are particularly difficult for me :/

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I don't get lift off either Meno. When I spot people that ask for lift off, they are able to go through the full ROM anyway. If you make it past the 1/2 way point, you're not gonna have trouble pushing it to the top. I've never seen someone fail past the 1/2 way mark. But yea, I've never needed to have someone lift off for me too.

I go for strength training and I find it serve me well functionally too. A spotter's there to help you push more weight to become stronger. I've noticed that even though I haven't held a static planch in a while, having a spotter for bench, tris, delts, and back have all gotten me stronger. The result - able to hold a straddled planch longer even though I haven't been practicing. I dunno, I feel like as long as you exercise with proper form, it'll serve you functionally. I know this isn't the point, but when I think of function vs strength, I think of kipping pull ups >.>

Edit: Actually now that I think of it; I've asked someone to spot me once and he automatically lifted off for me. I didn't like it cause he just dropped it on me before my arms were straight, so I had to use a lot of energy to make sure I didn't crush myself. He was a terrible spot.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I have a regular gym partner for the first time in a while and the only thing he does is give a little extra push when I ask for help. Just 10 lbs of help gets me out of failing the last rep. It helps a ton mentally knowing I can totally empty the tank on a set. I'm starting to get back into my pre-accident shape because of it :)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i always get a lift off at high weights.

more than anything else, i find that lifting the weight in the abnormal position (above your shoulders) is a particularly weak and awkward position, and quite separate from the movement line of the actual exercise.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that liftoff is important. I'm saying that if you are incapable of lifting the bar off yourself, then it's indicative of something. If you can reach the bar without fully locked arms, and the rack is parallel with some part of your face, then liftoff, albeit not necessary, should be possible.

If it isn't, then too much weight's being used. And there are a bunch of ways to assist a lift during the lower half. Arching your back to reduce the extension, bouncing the bar, etc.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
i always get a lift off at high weights.

more than anything else, i find that lifting the weight in the abnormal position (above your shoulders) is a particularly weak and awkward position, and quite separate from the movement line of the actual exercise.
I can see that. I've never gone super high so I've probably never needed it. Makes sense, I guess.

Attila_

BRoomer
Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that liftoff is important. I'm saying that if you are incapable of lifting the bar off yourself, then it's indicative of something. If you can reach the bar without fully locked arms, and the rack is parallel with some part of your face, then liftoff, albeit not necessary, should be possible.

If it isn't, then too much weight's being used. And there are a bunch of ways to assist a lift during the lower half. Arching your back to reduce the extension, bouncing the bar, etc.
I read through this a bunch of times and can't make sense of the post.

Lift-off, like, someone getting you in position for your first rep.

Do you think it's good or bad?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
When I say liftoff, I mean grabbing the bar yourself, and proceeding to bench with zero assistance in any regard. When TBO asked if it was a problem if he couldn't lift the bar himself, I'm saying that yes, it is something to consider, since unless the rack that holds the bar is so awkwardly positioned that it doesn't line up with any part of your face when lying on the bench, liftoff, while not necessary, should be possible. If a person can't hoist the bar off the rack themselves, but can allegedly do reps, then they're probably utilizing some compensatory technique.

Like Meno said though, it depends on the rack, though, most racks I've seen allow for liftoff without one having to extend so far as to use their shoulders.

Attila_

BRoomer
tbh i always thought a 'lift-off' was something that a spotter did, namely helping you get in position for the first rep.

so that was confusing.

i dont think that needing a lift-off (in this context) means you cant lift the weight properly yourself in most instances. like i said before, lifting above the line of the shoulder is quite awkward and particularly weak. and ive never seen a bench that didnt force me to do this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I'll be taking this week off due to spring break. No access to a gym, so all my exercise has mainly been cardio from football or basketball.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Hey guys,

Someone define a trim body and how I should go about getting it.

I'm not looking to have giant muscles, I just want to have a good body by the time I leave for college in the fall.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
If you're skinny then just go to the gym and eat more protein. You wont suddenly go from skinny to incredibly muscley, it takes time, but if you work at it a lot you'll easily notice a difference by Autumn.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

Someone define a trim body and how I should go about getting it.

I'm not looking to have giant muscles, I just want to have a good body by the time I leave for college in the fall.
A trim body requires you to have muscle and low body fat. You won't get Mr. Olympia Bodybuilder HOOGE when you lift weights. Get on a strength training program such as strong lifts or starting strength and eat more than what you're eating.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So after 4 hours of pick up basketball games, a hearty chicken + rice meal, and then a quart of chocolate milk hit the spot. Man I'm exhausted.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Spring break is such a momentum killer. I've literally only benched and dead lifted this week. Maintenance, I suppose.

Moving onto shoulders and back now. Why have I been ignoring them?
:scared:

So guilty of this. My traps are falling behind. What do you do for shoulders? More pull-ups...? >___>

Or rows I guess.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
WHAAAAAAAAAAT???

You're missing out.

Dat overhead press.

It's such a satisfying lift, especially when you break 100 lbs. By that point it's like you're lifting a small girl over your head. In fact, that's what I picture every single time I do it - i'm lifting a girl over my head in a triumphant manner, almost like a trophy. When I drop her down into my arms and we start making out.

The whole lift is symbolic. When you get that bar up and lock it out it's like conquering your greatest troubles and fears and you throw your arms up in victory.

overhead press.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pushed 320 kgs with my legs yesterday. Managed to push it around 6 times. Felt pretty good.

Overhead press is awesome yes, so do it. Was happy to be able to do it again yesterday as my shoulder finally feels as if it has healed. Made me pretty happy.

Attila_

BRoomer
Lol keblerelf.

Never really thought about it like that.

Still not going to train them lol. Such a terrible muscle group.

I'd rather squat :D

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I'm 6'2 185 pounds. I have ****ty endurance so i'm running sometimes. I've got a decent amount of muscle. What would you guys reccomend for getting a bit of fat off your belly? Just running and abs?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Running, swimming, etc.

Just make sure to do each for at least 20 minutes. Try not to stop, either. The thinner you are though, the harder it becomes to reduce body fat (in my experience, anyway). So if you've got a fair amount of fat on you, cardio should do the trick. If you're already relatively lean, then it'll take some diet to cut down even further with just moderate intensity cardio.

Top Bottom