• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
No university gym?

No, he won't, lol. No weights means zero muscle gain, so imbalanced results aren't of any concern.
Meno, consider what you're doing when you're doing pushups. You're stressing your body with weightloads foreign to the body. If you do biceps exercises but no forearm or compound arm exercises, you'll have a severe imbalance.

I don't know who told you that bodyweight exercises means zero weight. If that were the case, have people just been chasing their tails wasting time with calisthenics? Some people do nothing but calisthenics, but their tissue becomes denser and thus gain muscle. You need to strengthen your whole body and compound exercises are just the way to do that if your body isn't prepared for the maximal stress that actual lifting puts on it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I was exaggerating, what I meant was any significant muscle gain. From what I understand you can't make noticeable gains without lifting actual weights. The best you can hope for is a sculpted version this:

And that's cool. But that's so SMALL AND PUNY.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, new years and all that jazz. Besides keeping SKINNY, I thought I might as well try and like, tone up a bit. The areas I want to work on are probably the typical. Stomach, Chest, upper thighs, and BUM.

I could probably make do with the chest and stomach on my own, but I haven't a clue how to rally work the BUM and upper thighs THUROUGHLY.

Not that I look bad now, I just... want to look GREAT when summer roles around. Considering my three classes are Art based, and then one Philosophy class, I know I'm going to have quite some time to kill.

Any suggestions for work out techniques? I don't have access to a gym or anything, because im poor and in college, and I'm majoring in art (Which means I'll be poor forever) SOOOOO, I would like to do this without use of fancy machines.

Any adviceee?
Buy some dumbells. Do some squats, planks + variations, push ups, dips, pull ups if you can, and some standard abs works. Just look for some online dumbell and body weight exercises.

Running would be good to. Will start running myself soon. If you own a bike, ride it everywhere you go.

Food is very important to, if not the most important aspect of all. Eat well and healthy, and add more protein. Drink water to.

And training arms once a week is fine. If your doing a split routine you end up training arms when your actually aiming for your chest, shoulders (for triceps) or back (biceps). So in the end you'll have done them twice a week anyway.

Do your arms heal faster than other muscles with protein shakes? I pushed my biceps, took my shake and the next day I was fine. Thinking I'd done something wrong, or not done enough, I decided to push them again that day, took my shake, and woke up the next day and felt fine.

Huh?

:phone:
You don't always have to feel sore to grow. Resting however is a real must.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I was exaggerating, what I meant was any significant muscle gain. From what I understand you can't make noticeable gains without lifting actual weights. The best you can hope for is a sculpted version this:

That would have more to do with going on a serious cut and cannibalizing your muscle in the process, that can happen regardless of what form of strength work you're doing if you don't eat right. I know people who don't workout at all that look stronger than that, a lot of it is how you eat. Also don't see why you'd use an actor as an example when they have to rapidly change their body composition depending on their next role, and we don't know what kind of program he was on to begin with. Gymnasts would be a better example of people that have calisthenic dominant programs. Weights will get you the biggest mass gains but it's not like exercise is totally futile without them, especially for someone that is just getting started to begin with

Even for the "ghetto" plan I still think a pull up bar is a good investment though, you can get a cheap door mounted one for like $20 or you might be able to find something you can use nearby like if you live near a park. Even better if you can find one outside like that really since you can do dips and muscle ups on them as well

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Well it was Friday (or Thursday?) since I last worked out so I guess I'll do more today.

Also I found this stretching exercise and after only a few days I can almost touch my toes. If I curl them upwards I can, so I'd say that's good progress seeing as though last week I couldn't get past my shin.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

Yeah, you can't get really huge gains, but what I'm getting at is that if you neglect any body part, the synergistic efficiency between the strong and weak muscle will be as strong as the weak muscle, so it'll mess you up. That's why I said to do compound bodyweight exercises for a while, since some people aren't ready to start actual lifting training, or if they are in some areas, they're not in all. For example, this one guy I saw at Apex who had big arms, but tiny little forearms.

And yeah, that is small and puny. **** him. Disgusting piece of ****. I hate him. He needs to look like Shao Kahn.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Vermanubis I saw you at Apex and was totally 'mirin your body.

what are your stats? (height and weight, b/s/d)
Years and years of torturing helpless souls suddenly made my pectorals and buttocks bulge. :ganondorf:

No, but seriously, thank you! lol

I think I'm 6'3"/6'4", 220lbs. My bench max is a little over my bodyweight, my squat max is somewhere in the mid/upper 300s and my deadlift is about the same. I haven't done my maxes for months though, so the squat/deads could be approaching the 400s.

Verm is a beast.

Literally. He becomes a giant boar.
But my boar form is so fat. :mistyface:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Maybe we should do a new op, and add profiles to it.

I second that good sir.

Years and years of torturing helpless souls suddenly made my pectorals and buttocks bulge. :ganondorf:
XD Hahaha

So when should you change to higher weights? How much reps is too much?
I personally move up I can do 3 sets of 10 reps or something close to that. Actually I tend to increase weight with each set. Nonetheless, I feel that if you're doing over 10 reps, that's too light. If you do 10 reps easy, it's too light.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Thanks for answering but damn, due to this new laptop and bills I can't afford new weights, I need to buy some 10kgs for my dumbbells as right now the highest I can have on one is 7.5kg and it's too easy now.

Shade

Smash Cadet
So I haven't ever done much but I have browsed the thread and read some of the basic guide's but I have to say I'm always a bit intimated to start working out. I suffer from a bad case of generalized anxiety disorder after getting into a car crash in my sophomore year of high school. Luckily I have pretty much beat the disorder and do not require any type of medication to control the problems that come with it, but when I work out I tend to have mini-panic attacks.

This usually leads to me ignoring the idea of working out or even thinking of attempting to get into shape. I'm not large by any means (172 Pounds at 6'1) but I am pathetically weak and have always wanted to atleast get toned. Any suggestion to overcome my silly anxiety of working out.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
finding a friend with whom you can train is always a good idea. even if its just until you get comfortable.

otherwise, you could pay for a personal trainer for a few sessions, too.

Shade

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm not sure if it's the social aspect or if it's something else but both of those are legitimate suggestions. I think the biggest thing is just getting past the initial bump then it should be much better from than on out.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I spoke with Tigerwoods and he said I could take over the thread! So it'd be cool if a mod such as Evil Eye, Luigitoilet, or Crimson King did the transfer thing! :D

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Holy ****, I thought this was the peach thread cause Meno posted here.

Anyways, I have been keeping up pretty well with my work out so far.
17 days in and I am keeping up, I hope I can keep this dedication.

Shade

Smash Cadet
Holy ****, I thought this was the peach thread cause Meno posted here.

Anyways, I have been keeping up pretty well with my work out so far.
17 days in and I am keeping up, I hope I can keep this dedication.
Yeah I just started my workout routine as well, got it going steady now hoping to keep it up! We got his haha!

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
My back is out.

This probably resulted from a series of events:

-First, in November I started to get back pain after a light day. I think it's due to not taking my weight seriously, even though it was a number i'd normally warm up with. Ever since then, I would get pain in my lower back whenever I slouch in a chair.
-The second time would be the last time I worked out, about 13 days ago. I deadlifted 345 for 2 and remember having lower pack pain. After my workout it stopped.

...and today. I am have a slight cold, but I decided to hit the weight room anyway, filled to the walls with New Years Resolution go-ers. When I was warming up my squats with just the bar I felt a sharp pain. For some reason I ignored it and warmed up to 225 for a set of 5. When I was going for my second set I couldn't even unrack it without my body hurting.

It has been more than 12 hours since I've lifted. It hurts to lean over and turn on the faucet. I can't bend over and tie my shoes without discomfort. I'll be laying off weights for at least a month. If this continues I'll see a doctor.

Shade

Smash Cadet
My back is out.

This probably resulted from a series of events:

-First, in November I started to get back pain after a light day. I think it's due to not taking my weight seriously, even though it was a number i'd normally warm up with. Ever since then, I would get pain in my lower back whenever I slouch in a chair.
-The second time would be the last time I worked out, about 13 days ago. I deadlifted 345 for 2 and remember having lower pack pain. After my workout it stopped.

...and today. I am have a slight cold, but I decided to hit the weight room anyway, filled to the walls with New Years Resolution go-ers. When I was warming up my squats with just the bar I felt a sharp pain. For some reason I ignored it and warmed up to 225 for a set of 5. When I was going for my second set I couldn't even unrack it without my body hurting.

It has been more than 12 hours since I've lifted. It hurts to lean over and turn on the faucet. I can't bend over and tie my shoes without discomfort. I'll be laying off weights for at least a month. If this continues I'll see a doctor.
Dang, that sounds very unpleasant. I would definitely go see a doctor if it doesn't go away soon. It's better off being safe than sorry.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think you should see a doctor immediately. Pain like that isn't common, and a sports doc can help diagnose what's going on. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
seeing a doctor/physio sooner rather than later is definitely a better idea.

it depends on what the underlying problem is. best case scenario, you've got muscle tightness, get a massage and it's fixed. worse case, you've slipped a disc, and will be out for a few months with a gradual reintroduction to weights.

it doesnt sound like a slipped disc though, since there wasn't pain shooting down your legs, and it normally onsets much more severely that than. it sounds muscular. it which case, get it checked out, and it should be easily managed.

i have similar issues with my back; its like that most days of the week, particularly after a big session of track starts. i use tennisball acupressure, heat packs, and get regular massage, and that seems to keep it in check.

so yeah, see a professional and see what they say, cause it might not be as bad as you think.

yani

Smash Lord
So after I took a month off due to work and just doing cardio, back to the weight room. I then played a few bball games later in the evening. Safe to say I am sore lol.

Thoughts on this routine?

http://www.coachlikeapro.com/weight-training.html

Also, taking suggestions on what kinda protein supplement I should buy. Quality comes first, but taste is a close second.
Routine is fine, it takes care of the standard stuff you need.

For protein I recommend this brand. It does the job well and tastes great! I've personally tried Cookies & Cream, Chocolate, and Strawberry and can vouch that they're all delicious. I heard the Vanilla isn't too great though.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

For protein I recommend this brand. It does the job well and tastes great! I've personally tried Cookies & Cream, Chocolate, and Strawberry and can vouch that they're all delicious. I heard the Vanilla isn't too great though.
They got mad flavors hahaha. I'd try them out just to taste them all.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Yeah, I actually ordered me some yesterday. Got the French Vanilla. People seem to love that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The French Vanilla? Can't go back on it now since I already ordered it.

I used to actually have ON, but then went to Syntha 6. Now back.

Shade

Smash Cadet
Lol, I've been using chocolate flavor for 2-3 years now. I think I've earned a chance to try something else.
Haha yeah change is usually a good thing most of the time. I just like to stick to what I know I like no point wasting my cash on something I could hate though I guess that view could be a bit shallow. Eh maybe i'll broaden my horizon someday.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's what I meant I've been using chocolate, no matter what brand for years.

And I'm an idiot. Forgot my Amazon one click shipping was set to my house instead of my campus apartment -_-

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Damn man I wanna go to the gym but my right shoulder is still injuried, after a month still. Still continued training, but that did not go well for my recovery. :/

Banana flavor is always the best though ^^ next comes vanilla.

Top Bottom