• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *NEW* Snake Boards Stage Discussion (currently discussing Brinstar)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yeah just like Green Greens is. Honestly I still think the MLG stage selection is a bit iffy in some spots. PS2's changes are just too drastic. Metaknight + Air Field = Dead Snake. And thats not the only bad part about the stage.

Underload

Lazy
I did some testing on PS2 once, mostly with the transitions. It isn't that bad. It's a worse stage than PS1 in some ways, but a little better in others.

Also, I figured out that I really like Delfino as a CP. I'm gonna go work on it in a bit.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I did some testing on PS2 once, mostly with the transitions. It isn't that bad. It's a worse stage than PS1 in some ways, but a little better in others.

Also, I figured out that I really like Delfino as a CP. I'm gonna go work on it in a bit.
I like delfino too. The stage transformations make for some interesting traps and on a few of them you can get som ekills at stupid percents. Plus the normal inbetween stage is fairly straight forward and easy to play on.

I feel like brinstar can either be really good, or really bad for snake. You can take characters like pikachu and falco there and tear them apart, but an mk or wario can do some dirty things to you there. I dont think its really that bad overall though....even vs. mk

Unless they plank/shark or nado abuse, not EVERY mk does it :|

solecalibur

Smash Master
There are so many flat transformations on delfino with the platforms helping your grenade throws, as long as you know your opponent doesnt pocket a chaingraber

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Il ban brinstar in every tourny it is allowed its the 1 stage that is just HORRIBLE for snake , delfino is actually good for snake its 1 of my personal favourites (i wud never cp it tho iv got better options)

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont think snake is bad on brinstar, I think mk just beats him badly there cuz its his best stage

etecoon

Smash Hero
I dont think snake is bad on brinstar, I think mk just beats him badly there cuz its his best stage
MK isn't the only one, really anyone with air superiority over snake(i.e. anyone?). snake is a character that dominates with his ground game and brinstar FORCES YOU to jump, bad combo

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think Brinstar is okay for Snake and there are some redeeming qualities but it really hinders his ground game in general and so MK, Wario, D3 maybe GaW could all **** on him here. I usually switch characters if I get CPed here...>_<

Big Boss

Smash Journeyman
MK isn't the only one, really anyone with air superiority over snake(i.e. anyone?). snake is a character that dominates with his ground game and brinstar FORCES YOU to jump, bad combo
I agree with all of this. I guess the blast zones & lava/acid could help against ICs. =\

Overall, I think it's a bad stage for Snake.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Brinstar is only good against characters that can outcamp you. Overall I dont like it even then, but it can work to your advantage if you have good stage control i.e. placing c4's and mines in good spots.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
lol id rather fight a MK at brinstar ANY day if u contorll the camera angle (control where u guys fight) u cant seee ANY of the explosoives tech chase is really ez in several spots (inside the egg things, on platforms) c4 is AMAZING here and hinders their air game ALOT all you have to do is have a different play style and control the platforms and keep moving it around i beat MK's here all the time

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
lol so you think... butits cuz ur use to a certain playstyle but if u change it up its much more bearable, consider this, between RC and brinstar i would choose brinstar its actuallly a useful stage for snake more ways than one

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
its easier to avoid snake on brinstar.
its easier to recover against snake on brinstar.
its easier to kill snake on brinstar.
its harder to autocancel aerials on brinstar.
its harder to edgeguard on brinstar.
its harder to zone characters on brinstar.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Snake kills earlier with ALL his moves its not even funny
hard to escape explosives
easier to tech chase
harder to auto cancel no its not u just dont want to learn the spacing xD or u tried and cant get it not trying to be offensive here
lol its not that bad for edgeguarding cuz they cant plank the whole dam time cuz the lava
zoning isnt that hard just use grenades+c4 and thas all u need with teh stage is built
also if u do bair on certain spots you will slide which can keep u from getting smashed OoS but u CAN still
get punished just not with as hurtful moves

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i say 7-10 or 8-10 depending on who ur fighting if they ban halberd in all honesty this is a good cp on a decent amount of characters

never take DK,wario,pit,hmm ike, ill get more later busy atm but never take those there

Attila_

BRoomer
3/10. which is the lowest rating id give anystage.

@kuro: show me vids of a snake beating a high level player there.

Eleotric

Smash Rookie
I don't play snake but I agree with Kuro, Both Brinstar and Rc can be decent for him but brinstar is amazing. It has it downsides but with the level comes agressive play style and all snake has to do is camp and place c4 and mine near edges which could cut off an attempt to plank. Besides utilt kills wicked fast on this level. Shmot, try learning the level a bit better. But squirtle ***** all on every level especially Mk on brinstar lolololololol

I actually like RC. Maybe it's just the scenery but I feel like i play better there too. Brinstar is just a terrible level. HERE is what a wario could do to a snake. I think we should start CP green greens.

Attila_

BRoomer
lol yes. poor luke, he never stood a chance. that was a long time ago, though.

@kuro and eleotric: still waiting on that video.

Dakrah

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I realize this is my first post but I have been floating around the boards for a while and I hope I don't sound TOO dumb here!

Either way, at one point I decided to take a look a Brinstar because I really was wondering what I could possible do there as Snake against characters like Wario, MK, etc. One of the things I tested in training mode was the slopes to see if I could find any interesting angles with which to d-throw grenades. Unfortunately, they don't take care of people who happen to be camping at the platforms at all because the angles at which the grenades fly are way too acute. So grenade tossing/cooking really seems like the only way to pressure someone off a platform. Another consideration could be platform control with mines and C4s. The idea could be to put one on each of the lateral platforms and stay under the top platform to try and control that with mortars, thus also controlling the ground level. What do you guys think?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
oh ya dint mean 7-10 i meant to put 6-10 not great but certainly better than others

So 6.5 on most of the cast
5.5-6 for the other gays
@shmot heres my example of how u should be playing except hr was being too agressive and not utilizing the explosives how i think he should have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XlBdGpLI-M exvept for the most part he was doing it right o3o cuz he wasnt camping the platforms enough

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
rating for brinstar is 5/10.

lets see here....

Cons: Snake hates the air and the lava forces him in the air..
not that much room for him to camp at all.
he can also be sharked here (duh)...
its harder to edgeguard on here.

Pros: UP TILT! :D you just kill early here with any move hahaha....the lava also can force your opponent into traps so like for example place a c4 on one platform and on the other platform place a claymore and just simply wait on the other platform and you have everything cover XD

Limeee

Smash Champion
i might have posted this before, but anyways.

brinstar isn't too bad, but i'd never CP it.
its good against someone whos a lot better than you, cuz one mistake, or a few reads can give you an easy stock advantage.

i'd rather ban Rainbow against MK's that like to plank anyways

:009:

Attila_

BRoomer
@kuro: old and d3 sucks their too... HE CANT EVEN CHAINGRAB!

@anyone who thinks utilt kills super early: has this been tested at all? the difference in kill %s from bf to halberd is only 5% anyway, and thats supposed to be super low, too.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Oh god, Attila you seem to be the only one again saying something is bad for snake when it really is not....

Snake bair kills at ridiculous percents here, the lava helps him recover, can cypher through stage -> sliding bair. He benefits alot from using the longer lasting hitbox thing.
Snake doesn't do 'bad' here you just would never cp it apart from maybe against diddy.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm not really against brinstar, i'd actually take a few characters there. Same situation as cruise, but seeing how stupid mk is on this stage I'd probably put it as snakes worst for quite a few mu's....meh. You wont understand until you play someone good on this stage, that actually knows how to use it

6/10

Limeee

Smash Champion
Oh god, Attila you seem to be the only one again saying something is bad for snake when it really is not....

Snake bair kills at ridiculous percents here, the lava helps him recover, can cypher through stage -> sliding bair. He benefits alot from using the longer lasting hitbox thing.
Snake doesn't do 'bad' here you just would never cp it apart from maybe against diddy.
why do you post on the snake boards?
all you ever post is how amazing snake is, and you don't play him

then again, nobody here actuallys mains snake

:009:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
5/10

Not saying that we completely suck in this stage but MK's gay so this stage is gay.

The worst part is that we have to jump away from the rising acid and well... The air is our weakness. At least we can take advantage of the acid by throwing nades on it then the nades explode. I still think this stage isn't fir for Snake.

Dakrah

Smash Rookie
5/10

Not saying that we completely suck in this stage but MK's gay so this stage is gay.

The worst part is that we have to jump away from the rising acid and well... The air is our weakness. At least we can take advantage of the acid by throwing nades on it then the nades explode. I still think this stage isn't fir for Snake.
While I do think that it's a bad thing for Snake to be in the air, decent control of platforms and knowledge of the stage should allow snake to get to a platform relatively safely, don't you think? And what I mean by decent control of platforms is, again, mines, C4s, and other explosives. The point would be to know where the acid is rising to at each point; in other words, the point is to know the stage.

Still, with these considerations, MK does kick *** here, especially if he plays a solid pressure game. I just posit that it's not AS bad as people say it is for Snake, even against MK, although it's still not very good against MK.

Top Bottom