• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *NEW* Snake Boards Stage Discussion (currently discussing Brinstar)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Green Greens

Summary:
- Learn to tech on reaction, if you don't your gonna get combo'ed HARD. Also, mix it up, tech tech jumps or don't tech on purpose.
- Getting hit by falling blocks = Spiked
- No matter what control the center of the stage.
- Small vertical death zones = killing earlier, and dieing earlier.
- Lower ceiling = Killing earlier.
- Use nades to blow up explosive blocks this = pressure and getting kills.
- Snake can destroys the blocks with Utilt and Ftilt (for it ftilt depends)
- Side-b is pretty decent here.
- Be careful with DA / DACUS here, this will get you blown up.
- If the blocks have completely made the wall they make, set up explosives and crouches close to them. (if you opponent doesn't have items to throw)
- Wind boxes are great if your in the middle, because they're the ultimate pressure; but if your on the left or right sides of the stage and these are going expect to gain A LOT of damage or maybe even lose a stock.
- Apples these can heal a bit, but more importantly they are great items! If they hit a shield they have a lot of shield stun, and other wise they kill pretty D*** early. Once apples are out...you want to incorporate them w/ your grenades this equals, this is amazing stage control.
- U-smash can do wonders here it'll help you keep pressure on you opponent and help you keep control of the stage.

C4/Mine placement:
- On blocks
- Platforms (this is great for pressure and keeping your opponent at the left/right portions of the stage).
- The Left/right portions of the stage.
- pretty much anywhere, except for the dead center of the stage (between the two platforms).

Everyone not listed under character lists (to take/not to take lists) are undecided.If someone is listed twice it's which ever you feel more comfortable with.:)
Character to take here:
- MK
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Yoshi
- Link
- Sheik
- Zelda
- Ganon
- Toon Link
- Samus
- ZSS
- ROB
- Wolf
- Falcon
- Pikachu
- Pokemon Trainer
- Marth
- Ike
- Lucas
- Ness
- Sonic

Characters not to take here:
- MK
- G&W- Ban this against him.
- DDD-Ban this against him.
- Falco- Ban this against him?
- Diddy Kong

Overall Ratio:?/10
This is what I know about this stage.
I'm not sure if we should take Wario, Pit, ICs, or DK there? what do you guys think?
Pit= Flying under stage, Reflecting projectiles, and Arrows.
Wario= Kills early, and I'm not sure.
ICs= CG, a lot of there moves blow up blocks, etc.
DK= Kills Mad early, etc.

BTW, sry bout' double post...but I need to post this.

Limeee

Smash Champion
EDIT: @jujitsutide: Excuse this please, but your retared. You cannot take G&W there...once he gets center stage control...you've lost the match.

or, you could throw grenades, or you could destroy the blocks and approach that way, or you could approach with reversed grenades, or you could keep a c4 in the middle, or you could just uptilt and kill GnW at early percents

gg

EDIT: wait i'm retared :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
no juji your retared a knife is useless against those MASSIVE claws, they could rip a tank apart, jesus christ

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Use Green Greens if you think youll lose on a normal stage and want to make the match extremely luck based.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
rediscussions are needed. Remember how the old matchup thread suggested reverse fairing a recovering ROB?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Why are we rediscussing stages when we haven't covered all of them?

Then again I don't really care. My vote goes toward intelligent discussion. That's all I ask.

Still want to discuss Frigate though.

Limeee

Smash Champion
brinstar please.

halberd and frigate just feel like neutrals to me except for the flipping on frigate and hazards on halberd

Limeee

Smash Champion
personally, i don't like brinstar.
we can get early kills, but i don't like how the platforms are laid out. i always feel like i don't have enough space to camp

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Characters not to take to Brinstar: Metaknight, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, and Kirby.

Taking most characters here isn't a good idea in general, I feel as if Brinstar is one of Snake's worst stages, if not the worst. You can hide explosives well, but the awkward layout makes camping more difficult and laying down explosives can trap yourself too easily. I wouldn't take Marths here either. Taking Falco/ICs/Diddy here probably isn't a bad idea though, but there's better CPs IMO.

I noticed during my last set with Dazwa really late into the game on Brinstar that a good way to deal with characters who try to platform camp Snake here is to stand near the middle on the slant and bounce nades down off of the slants so that the nades fly towards them. Kind of like what most Snakes do on Frigate/Halberd.

Overall, pretty dumb stage. It's practically an auto win stage for MK/Wario/ZSS. Only Kirby I played on Brinstar was Allied's, and I did fine vs it but I think it's still a pro Kirby stage.

Anyone have any specific strats on this stage?

Sync.

Smash Champion
I think Brinstar is a bit too awkward to establish a good camping game.

The only big plus I see is getting land mine or C4 kills from the top platform. I don't recommend standing up there and up tilting hoping for an early kill though.

The breaking stage can work either way actually, it could be good for camping depending on the character. If it's another ground character you can use grenade cooking and maybe even nikita to damage rack. The platforms, when broken, can be good for tricky cooked grenade placement but that's situational.

Overall this stage is pretty situational and there are not that many options for Snake here. 4.5/10 definitely.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Brinstar is a counter against Snake because of how the stage forces much of the fighting into the air. And the low blastzones, esp the horizontal ones, takes away some of Snake's survivability. The small size of the stage plus the platforms plus the lava makes it incredibly easy for us to be juggled. Therefore this stage would be bad against anyone with a good air game, because of how pitiful ours is.

However there are benefitting factors in the stage, the slants and the breakable column would add variety to our nade camping/explosive game. The breakable parts in the middle would help our dthrow techchase, as they cannot roll past it if they get dthrown on it. And the darkness does camouflage our explosives, and the lava hit them into a mine or C4 on the platform.

A cool thing that I found about this stage is that it helps C4 recovery with the low bottom blastzone. Also, if you C4 yourself and aim for the group of breakable parts, you will stop there regardless of how much damage you have (and can tech it iirc).

I remember seeing a vid where someone stayed in the lava on norfair and did not get hurt because he learned how the hitbox of the lava works and shielded when the hitbox is out and release when it is not to recover some of his shield. I imagine the same concept works for Brinstar, if we learn how to do that we can avoid being forced to jump or hit in the air.

While I do think Brinstar is a bad stage for Snake, there are worse stages depending on who your opponent is. If we learn the layout and the mechanics of this stage, and find some way to exploit it, we can catch someone off guard by CPing this stage. Brinstar hurts alot of other characters too, and no one will ban it against a Snake main. So learning this stage could make it a legit CP or at least give you a chance when someone CPs this against you.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Low blast zones also means Uair/C4/Utilt all kill really early, low ceiling is always good for Snake. Dthrow in the top middle plataform also puts the opponent in a desperate position because they can't roll away thus Snake can react to anything they do. I've never done that, but we can probably abuse the hitlag on breakable parts of the stage to surprise the opponent and hit them with the lasting hitbox of Fsmash. We can also abuse the hitlag to hit with the longer lasting strong hitbox of Bair or we can use it to refresh moves by jabbing the breakable part but other than that, Brinstar also forces Snake to be in the air a lot which is where he doesn't want to be which can then be exploited really badly by those Bizkit said above (I'd also include recommended ban against adult Link there if Norfair is banned, it makes his Dair more spammable and boosts its KO potential and we have difficult time dealing with it when we are in the air which we will be often in this stage).

Overall other than Link and the characters Bizkit mentioned which Snake should always ban against them, though I think it's one of Snake's worse stages, I still think it's a decent stage for Snake which he can handle well enough against most characters. I'd give it a 4/10.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
against link specifically I heard Orpheon was one of his worst stages for link. that being said I don't know of any "good" link stages in this match up.

on brinstar I would probably only counter pick grounded characters like Diddy IC maybe falco, D3 or other such characters.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
2/10
Anyone with a decent aerial will be trouble here. I find the lava to mess up camping rhythm cause if it touches you, it puts you in a bad position, the air. I'm not gonna repeat what everyone else said, but I feel like there will always be a better counterpick than Brinstar. The closer blast zones might help, but you'd have to be comfortable on this stage to benefit from that.

lets discuss PS27

nobody understands that stage
I wouldn't mind that since my state just kinda legalized it for tournies but almost everyone is too afraid to go near it lol
That's weird. PS2 as a legal stage? I wouldn't know anything about it. All I know is the air element transition is *** as hell. I can already see Snake getting even more ****ed by Uair strings.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm surprised that I haven't been CPed to it yet. But at the same time people are afraid of PS2. I am too. The air phase is ********. Most of the phases on that stage are ********. But I guess it never hurts to learn something new.

Top Bottom