• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
You can easily put on 40% damage by just juggling them with utilt and and then bairing after 4 or 5. His recovery is really predictable, and, unlike Falco, he doesn't have a real meteor (fox's dair=FAIL). I'm too lazy to right much else right now... I agree with gonzo, 65-35 us.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Hmmm...the general consensus seems to be regular-sized advantage, not large advantage.

Stage counterpicks please?
Brinstar.

Fsmash and bair kill ridiculously well there (though this applies against almost anyone), so edguarding will be even easier. It also makes it hard for his laser to hit (the tentacles stop it, the platforms stop it, everything stops it), a dair offstage is almost always devastating to him (either hit into lava or death). Definitely not FD... if brinstar is banned, go pokemon stadium 1. Yoshi's Island (brawl) is also a good neutral(stone slide FTW!).

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If you go brinstar, just be wary of trying to cg along the left side of the stage or on the platforms since you can't regrab on the fthrow if you're going downhill, and the platforms only allow for short cg's(2 fthrow uairs at most).

Also, you can get a max of 44 damage from cg's at 0% I think. That's from grab, fthrow, uair, grab, pummel once, fthrow, hammer.

Anyways, I'm not sure about counterpicks....I suppose ban final d?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I wouldn't ban FD. I feel a few extra damage with lasers is worth being able to CG combo very easily.

CP rainbow cruise imo gimp heaven for Kirby that and Luigi's mansion which would prevent Fox from getting a u-smash kill as early as they want and Fox not being able to camp effectively.

I ban halberd if anything due to low ceiling.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
If you go brinstar, just be wary of trying to cg along the left side of the stage or on the platforms since you can't regrab on the fthrow if you're going downhill, and the platforms only allow for short cg's(2 fthrow uairs at most).

Also, you can get a max of 44 damage from cg's at 0% I think. That's from grab, fthrow, uair, grab, pummel once, fthrow, hammer.

Anyways, I'm not sure about counterpicks....I suppose ban final d?
Fthrow uair fthrow uair fsmash

51% guaranteed against everything except SDI

lrn2gonzocombo

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Guys, Brinistar is good for Kirby, no one will deny it, but it is not the end all stage for EVERY character. For example, when a character like Fox has a Usmash that can kill you at ridiculously low percentages, taking him to a stage with a low ceiling like Brinistar, Green greens, or Corneria (Yeah, I know, Halberd too, but I'd be more worried about the afore mentioned three) is a bad idea. It's pretty much maximizing Fox's only advantage. CP a stage like RC or JJ (though realistically speaking, since a CP implies you lost, you shouldn't even be in a position to CP against Fox :lick: ).

Aerials always have priority over ground attacks. If nothing else, the dair outranges the uair. It's only punishable if he doesn't get hit...but that's true for like how many moves? X_X
I don't have actual data, but I am fairly sure that's wrong (if it were right, Ganon's Usmash would not be capable of hitting aerial opponents and same for Kirby's Utilt.)

As for the actual matchup, Fox players, why are you getting mad about the crouch under laser comment? If you're winning, we have 5 jumps, and we're going to use them to jump at you, dodge you Usmash, the Bair you in the face (or just Bair you if you do anything but Usmash).

Also, is anyone certain that the Gonzo combo can be interrupted by the reflector? It didn't seem to work when I tested it (tested it by having someone mash downB during the whole thing). Is there a specific timing for it, or are you guys just assuming it works?

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lolz, try this one if u want to conserve ur Fsmash .......... Fthrow, Uair, Dthrow, Bair, fastfall (make sure kirby doesn't squish or this will fail), Reverse grab Dthrow, Bair, i think u can manage +51% against heavies while conserving ur Fsmash

sorry fox i've been in the Lab, also against Snake, "off topic i know" u can do Fthrow, uair, reverse Utilt, Bair, reverse grab, Bair, then chase to another grab, +51 also.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
also sorry for double post but counterpick stages, definetly Rainbow cruise or Jungle ****, i like **** cuz its easy to gay people on that stage and Fox will feel very claustrophobic on that stage.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
maestro you trigger hilarious results when asking for match ups. the titles you post gets everyone mad.lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's why I'd go JJ myself. Hell even FD is good.

What other stages have high ceilings? That's really the only thing that really factors into it for this matchup.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
That's why I'd go JJ myself. Hell even FD is good.

What other stages have high ceilings? That's really the only thing that really factors into it for this matchup.
lol i was literally about to tell u to go to dreamland cuz its a great stage for Kirby, wow, i dont miss melee stages, i dont miss melee stages, i dont miss melee stages. ****, who am i kidding, GIMME BACK fOUNTAIN OF DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feardragon64

Smash Champion
lol i was literally about to tell u to go to dreamland cuz its a great stage for Kirby, wow, i dont miss melee stages, i dont miss melee stages, i dont miss melee stages. ****, who am i kidding, GIMME BACK fOUNTAIN OF DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
poke floats =[

What would you guys ban?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Sooo I picked up Fox today. He's so fun. I'm actually decent with him by now, too. I got 3-stocked by a Captain Falcon, but /first time playing Fox on wifi johns.

Reflector doesn't seem to break the Gonzo combo as easily as I thought. Wolf's reflector seems to come out faster, have a bigger hitbox, and gives him invincibility frames.

upsmash kills at ridiculously low percentages even on the bottom of say, Smashville.

Fox's utilt is pretty good...dair->utilt a couple times will do...I'm not sure, but at least 20-28% on Kirby from 0.

Fox has the speed in this matchup...Fair really does seem to do well against Kirby's Dair, like someone said. I wasn't really paying attention, but Fox seems to have good aerial movement speed.

Fox is really easy to gimp when he's below the stage, but when he's level with it or above, he shouldn't have too much trouble recovering.

The biggest trouble I had playing Lion's Kirby earlier was getting out of grab combos and utilt. I'm not the best at DI-ing out of stuff like that though, so maybe a really good Fox player would get out of them earlier.

If the Fox plays smart, he can put up a good fight. I'm thinking anywhere from 65-35 to 60-40 Kirby's favor.

70-30 is ridiculous though. :/

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
U know they call Fox a top tier counter around here. He's been doing exceptionally well. Although that basically means Chineesah
He's a good character.

He has TEH REFLECTOR MINDGAEMZ

Also, I found something fun to do: run, then B-reverse lasers. There are two ways to do it...one way makes your momentum cancel and you turn around and shoot, and you slide a little towards your opponent (in the opposite direction of where you were running)

The other way makes you turn and shoot, and slide AWAY from your opponent (in the same direction you were running)

It all has to do with when you do the B-reversal: before hitting B, or at pretty much the same time you hit B. It's not hard to do, but I'm having trouble pulling it off consistently right now.

Kirby can undoubtedly do the same thing, but his runspeed is craptrash so the effect will be diminished.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
what i would give to start with Falco's power, his laser is to good with Kirby, the ultimate camping weapon would meet the hardest character to approach. it would be to broken :)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Asidoh, I actually felt pretty good about my gonzo-ing vs your fox. You actually made the correct counter a lot of times, but I used, like, 3 different versions (fthrow>uair>reverser utilt>bair, fthrow>uair>fsmash, and, once, fthrow>uair>usmash), so you countered the wrong one. Biggest problem I had was a lot of moves (dair, hammer, etc) becoming rock:(. And your usmash. Oh, and reversing my final cutters when I shouldn't *cough*wifi*cough* or not reversing when I should *cough*wifi*cough*. I kept picking japes to counter your usmash. If you hadn't been you, I would've picked brinstar, but... you're you.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Aw that's cute, you facing his Kirby with Fox, (since this is the topic right now). XD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you hadn't been you, I would've picked brinstar, but... you're you.
Fox actually isn't too bad on Brinstar. He can LAZER the tendons from just about anywhere to refresh moves, and his Upsmash can kill at amazingly low percents, especially on the top platform. I picked it against you once, and I think I won with Fox :p

But like I said, it's not a bad stage for him. Especially since if you try to gimp him, the acid might save him (it will do damage, but it's not as bad as losing a stock)

Then again I'm just really used to the stage by now.

i feel like some wifi, uall wanna play?
I thought you hated wifi? If you haven't played it in a long time, you're going to absolutely hate it and get totally frustrated.

Lion, if you beat him, don't think too much of it :p

Aw that's cute, you facing his Kirby with Fox, (since this is the topic right now). XD
awwww

>_>

Moving into my college dorm tomorrow, chances of me being on smashboards less: high

chances of me being on wifi less: very high

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
lolz, try this one if u want to conserve ur Fsmash .......... Fthrow, Uair, Dthrow, Bair, fastfall (make sure kirby doesn't squish or this will fail), Reverse grab Dthrow, Bair, i think u can manage +51% against heavies while conserving ur Fsmash

sorry fox i've been in the Lab, also against Snake, "off topic i know" u can do Fthrow, uair, reverse Utilt, Bair, reverse grab, Bair, then chase to another grab, +51 also.
i think fthrow -> uair -> fthrow -> uair -> dash grab -> dthrow -> utilt -> bair works to get 65% , but DI might ruin it

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Doesn't Kirby's Utilt beat Fox's Dair? (I haven't tried, but it beats a lot of other Dairs.)

A1, regardless of whether it's Asidoh or not, why CP fox to Brinistar? Why?
I guess you could do worse and go to Corneria, but still...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Doesn't Kirby's Utilt beat Fox's Dair? (I haven't tried, but it beats a lot of other Dairs.)

A1, regardless of whether it's Asidoh or not, why CP fox to Brinistar? Why?
I guess you could do worse and go to Corneria, but still...
Well he can't laser camp very effectively (not that Kirby has much trouble against it anyway) but Kirby will kill him at extremely low % with fsmash there. And Kirby has an easier time racking damage in this matchup.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't use throws against a good Snake though because Snake can easily KO Kirby on the ground, but in the air, Snake has a lot of lag on his aerial moves, and Kirby can easily combo him in midair, and if Snake uses Up-B, Kirby can hammer him easily.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well he can't laser camp very effectively (not that Kirby has much trouble against it anyway) but Kirby will kill him at extremely low % with fsmash there. And Kirby has an easier time racking damage in this matchup.
True, but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Usmash Fox's only reliable kill move, and it kills at very low percentages. Combine that with the fact that Kirby is susceptible to Star KOs, and that means I'm not picking a stage with low ceilings against Fox, regardless of any other factor.

Fox also can't laser camp effectively on JJ or RC (Not to mention the main problem with his laser isn't the very small amount of damage it gives, but the fact that it refreshes everything else, including that Usmash), and Fsmash can kill well on JJ, and Kirby gimps Fox well on both stages as well.
Personally, I don't see any reason NOT to CP one of those stages (or any other stage with a high ceiling, but especially those two).

Zhamy

Smash Champion
True, but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Usmash Fox's only reliable kill move, and it kills at very low percentages
Not really. It's his best KO move, especially against Kirby. But yes, ban Corneria. Wall Infinite + Lowest freaking ceilings ever? Win.

Fox also can't laser camp effectively on JJ or RC (Not to mention the main problem with his laser isn't the very small amount of damage it gives, but the fact that it refreshes everything else, including that Usmash)
Are you kidding? Once you're off the ship for RC, it's camping heaven for Fox. He has enough speed to basically avoid Kirby for most of the match, and a good Fox will abuse that heavily. RC is by no means a bad stage for Fox, and definitely not a good CP.

Want a good stage that screws up Fox really badly? Lylat Cruise. The edges do horrible things to him.

Top Bottom