• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Of all the handheld console Zeldas which are the best?

I only played Link's Awakening and it was epic (but I still thought Link to the Past was way better, obviously).
LttP was for SNES.....

LA is without a doubt the best handheld Zelda, imo. no discussion needed.

im currently pissed about PAL getting MM on VC :mad: I WANT IT!

Scott!

Smash Lord
I played ALttP on GBA, so sometimes I think of it with the other handhelds. But yeah, of all the true handheld games, LA is the best, and is one of my favorite members of my personal harem of video game lovers. (...?) The Oracle games are both solid additions, taking the template LA set up and running with it in new directions. Roc's Cape for best addition ever. Minish Cap is generally considered inferior, but I like it. I enjoy the whole shrinking thing. It's definitely worth it relative to games in general, though it's not so hot for a Zelda game for many fans. Phantom Hourglass is pretty much the same deal. A lot of people didn't really like it. The Temple of the Ocean King was stupid. But I enjoyed the rest of it. I thought the game used the DS's capabilities well. Writing notes on maps is brilliant. Also, Linebeck. No more needs to be said than Linebeck.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The Oracles games are very similar, but the main difference is that for one, Seasons, puzzles are based on, you guessed it, the four seasons. And no, not the 60's group with Frankie Valli, the actual seasons. Ages is based on traveling back and forth from the past to present, changing things in the past to affect the present.

PH does require the stylus. In fact, its gameplay relies almost exclusively on it.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Intellectual property law is the single most essential element for maintaining the entertainment industry. It may be historically more important than electricity.
How cute. Someone that's been brainwashed by the media to near perfection. O'Brien would be proud.

Please. Intellectual property law as it is now is an absurd mess. Correctly done it could very well prove to be useful, but right now it causes more problems than it solves. All the entertainment industry requires to survive is entertainers and those wanting to be entertained. If those exist, it will thrive no matter what.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
How cute. Someone that's been brainwashed by the media to near perfection. O'Brien would be proud.

Please. Intellectual property law as it is now is an absurd mess. Correctly done it could very well prove to be useful, but right now it causes more problems than it solves. All the entertainment industry requires to survive is entertainers and those wanting to be entertained. If those exist, it will thrive no matter what.
Haha, O'Brien.

1984 was an amazing book.

Also, Vorguen, I'd say Link's Awakening was my favorite just for it's story, but the gameplay in Oracles is better from my recollection (which is similar to how I feel about OoT and TP). Phantom Hourglass is decent, but not as good as LA or Oracles. I have not played Minish Cap yet so I don't know much about it at the moment lol

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Media Brainwashing?

I don't even watch T.V.

However, I notice you don't believe money is an essential part of the entertainment industry.

I'm not saying that the current intellectual property laws are good, but they are an absolute necesity for keeping the video quality higher than youtube in addition to enabling the advancement of medicine and the protection of inventions and originality.

Look up the pirating in China. That's the reason there are strictly enforced intellectual property laws.

EDIT: 1984 was made by Orwell, not O'brien, ochobobo.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The big problem with patent and copyright laws is that they are simply too restrictive. An individual will hold hold a copyright to a published book for 70 years after his death. SEE SOURCE Which is absolutely absurd, If you can't turn a profit from your work within 7 years, it sucked balls anyway, furthermore do you really still need to hold a copyright after you die? Then there is the whole issue with getting patents for things which really don't deserve a patent, like wrist straps (it's a piece of string).

Really, an appropriate copyright duration would be for 20, with only 1 renewal of copyright if the original creator is still using characters and themes or whatever from the originally copyrighted material.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The big problem with patent and copyright laws is that they are simply too restrictive. An individual will hold hold a copyright to a published book for 70 years after his death. SEE SOURCE Which is absolutely absurd, If you can't turn a profit from your work within 7 years, it sucked balls anyway, furthermore do you really still need to hold a copyright after you die? Then there is the whole issue with getting patents for things which really don't deserve a patent, like wrist straps (it's a piece of string).

Really, an appropriate copyright duration would be for 20, with only 1 renewal of copyright if the original creator is still using characters and themes or whatever from the originally copyrighted material.
However, there are situations where even these unbelievably restrictive laws were actually too lenient. In fact, there was a Supreme Court Case not that long ago which strengthened copyright laws because the original laws were about to take away Disney's right to Mickey Mouse.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm torn between getting Alt in here and telling you guys to stop because copyright law has nothing to do with Zelda.

Seriously though, it doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to talk about it, first read this thread. And then take it to PMs.

of course being me I have to give my opinion and say that copyright/IP/Whatever law is bull****.

@MM

I'm not sure if I'm getting this on the VC. My old N64 copy works just fine -- really the only thing that's bad about my 64 is that the controllers are a bit wonky. Other than that, everything's in perfect condition!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unfortunetly for me, my brother decided to let a friend of his barrow my copy of Majora's Mask some time ago right before that person moved away...

...A lot of people just happen to move away that my brother allows to barrow my stuff. Same thing happened to my Dreamcast controller, memory card, and copy of Sonic's Adventure...

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Media Brainwashing?

I don't even watch T.V.

However, I notice you don't believe money is an essential part of the entertainment industry.

I'm not saying that the current intellectual property laws are good, but they are an absolute necesity for keeping the video quality higher than youtube in addition to enabling the advancement of medicine and the protection of inventions and originality.

Look up the pirating in China. That's the reason there are strictly enforced intellectual property laws.

EDIT: 1984 was made by Orwell, not O'brien, ochobobo.
O'brien was a character in 1984, lol
I'm pretty sure he's the one witchking_of_angmar referenced.

Zelda related edit: I'm not too sure I'll be getting Majora's Mask for VC, despite how awesome it is, just because I also have a copy of it that works just fine, like SkylerOcon. lol

comboking

Smash Master
I'm torn between getting Alt in here and telling you guys to stop because copyright law has nothing to do with Zelda.

Seriously though, it doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to talk about it, first read this thread. And then take it to PMs.

of course being me I have to give my opinion and say that copyright/IP/Whatever law is bull****.

@MM

I'm not sure if I'm getting this on the VC. My old N64 copy works just fine -- really the only thing that's bad about my 64 is that the controllers are a bit wonky. Other than that, everything's in perfect condition!
Just buy a new controller. or pick up a copy of the zelda collectors edition from gamestop.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A lot of the Zelda games have manga for them.

They basically don't really have story development or anything though...

They just give you a (What is that thing called when you take a story and condence it down to tell the basics of a story?)

Scott!

Smash Lord
Vorguen, read the Zelda manga. They're fun times. I enjoyed the Link's Awakening one, since the story was interesting, and the OoT one was interesting, especially Sheik's role. But Majora's Mask was my favorite. I just really liked how they changed the story to fit it into a manga-style narrative. Anju and Kafei's larger role in the tale especially made me happy, since I love them. But they're all pretty decent in my experience.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You know that one image with the Triforce and that eagle/bird underneath it. . .

http://api.ning.com/files/DcTXUh6SWwhma71ngmFuhZXR0mHBFtQZCwuNxs3vdenB2ntU15OsaQsyWW39rwdbGDQOzIs-6*U94xZG4jaNgsowpBrF7cXR/triforce1.jpg

We've all seen this image several times, but what exactly is that bird supposed to be? I don't think I've ever seen it explained.
I'm not sure exactly. I did find an interesting theory online though.

http://internal.tbi.net/~max/zsymbol.htm

Here's a fun little game: How many pagan references can you find in Hyrule?

c3gill

Smash Ace
You know that one image with the Triforce and that eagle/bird underneath it. . .

http://api.ning.com/files/DcTXUh6SWwhma71ngmFuhZXR0mHBFtQZCwuNxs3vdenB2ntU15OsaQsyWW39rwdbGDQOzIs-6*U94xZG4jaNgsowpBrF7cXR/triforce1.jpg

We've all seen this image several times, but what exactly is that bird supposed to be? I don't think I've ever seen it explained.
to be honest, i always assumed that was 2 outstreched hands reaching out for the glowing triforce, and the person with those hands is also holding the master sword (that spear-shaped thing).

whoever wrote that needs to go through some of the games and think about what he is saying..... his is wrong on many of his suggestions.

and there are more Islamic and Hindi refrences than to any other religion, imo.

Charizard92

Smash Champion

Yeah, if you think about these things, sometimes there is really profound and important symbolism in each of these games. Metroid has a couple of good examples. One example is the Chozo's balance of religion and science, understanding that the two can work together without waging war on each other (ex the Power suit, the stone craftswork, and a ton of other stuff that you can find by going through Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 corruption multiple times [Metroid Prime takes place on former Chozo colony Tallon IV, and One of the planets you visit in Corruption is Elysia, with a flying colony {also abandoned}]). On Earth, several faiths hold a similar view, ex Modern Catholicism has accepted science, and Darwin, the discoverer of natural selection (and agnostic) has stated that it is possible for a person to be religious and still accept his theory.

Conversely, and also in Corruption, another race on the Planet Bryyo had a more disastrous outcome. Their race (conveniently named the Bryyonians), has also started to adopt science, but those who adopted Science started to ditch their ancient ways, and those who still practice them. Despte warnings from others (including Chozo), the two factions (Lords of Science and Primals), waged war. Primals used magic, Lords used machines. On Earth, unfortunately, there is an apparent war between science and religion (or at least in the mind of the fundamentalists/Creationists/a huge portion of the republican party [all the extremely religious guys]), and we aren't getting along well. While on earth, the only thing the religious got are their shotguns (especially now since Bush's disastrous 8 years in office), the Bryyonian Primals got magic, which gave them 1 lethal advantage, magic doesn't have a fuel supply. The Lords of Science were all but destroyed. The war on Bryyo nearly destroyed their planet, so the Lord's last act was to release satellites into orbit to stop the toxins. This had two side effects. 1: The planet stopped rotating, so 48% is always molten and 48% is always frozen. And 2: the Primals found their location. The Lords of science saved their world and got killed for it (there was 1 lucky survivor who managed to delay the inevitable, but this is already a long winded speech). On earth, a less extreme (and bloody) occurrence is happening, in the US, as during the 8 years under Bush, Science was severely hampered, and with the economy the primary problem, overturning them won't happen any time soon.

Sorry for the eyesore, apparently it takes me this much to say that symbolism in nintendo games is kinda common.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, if you think about these things, sometimes there is really profound and important symbolism in each of these games. Metroid has a couple of good examples. One example is the Chozo's balance of religion and science, understanding that the two can work together without waging war on each other (ex the Power suit, the stone craftswork, and a ton of other stuff that you can find by going through Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 corruption multiple times [Metroid Prime takes place on former Chozo colony Tallon IV, and One of the planets you visit in Corruption is Elysia, with a flying colony {also abandoned}]). On Earth, several faiths hold a similar view, ex Modern Catholicism has accepted science, and Darwin, the discoverer of natural selection (and agnostic) has stated that it is possible for a person to be religious and still accept his theory.

Conversely, and also in Corruption, another race on the Planet Bryyo had a more disastrous outcome. Their race (conveniently named the Bryyonians), has also started to adopt science, but those who adopted Science started to ditch their ancient ways, and those who still practice them. Despte warnings from others (including Chozo), the two factions (Lords of Science and Primals), waged war. Primals used magic, Lords used machines. On Earth, unfortunately, there is an apparent war between science and religion (or at least in the mind of the fundamentalists/Creationists/a huge portion of the republican party [all the extremely religious guys]), and we aren't getting along well. While on earth, the only thing the religious got are their shotguns (especially now since Bush's disastrous 8 years in office), the Bryyonian Primals got magic, which gave them 1 lethal advantage, magic doesn't have a fuel supply. The Lords of Science were all but destroyed. The war on Bryyo nearly destroyed their planet, so the Lord's last act was to release satellites into orbit to stop the toxins. This had two side effects. 1: The planet stopped rotating, so 48% is always molten and 48% is always frozen. And 2: the Primals found their location. The Lords of science saved their world and got killed for it (there was 1 lucky survivor who managed to delay the inevitable, but this is already a long winded speech). On earth, a less extreme (and bloody) occurrence is happening, in the US, as during the 8 years under Bush, Science was severely hampered, and with the economy the primary problem, overturning them won't happen any time soon.

Sorry for the eyesore, apparently it takes me this much to say that symbolism in nintendo games is kinda common.
If you think the war on earth is between creationists/ religious and science...you are majorly mistaken. That war in itself is merely an illusion.

Darkslash

Smash Master

Lol what? That guy needs to play moar bwarl more Zelda.

Zelda is more Monotheistic based. The Triforce, I believe is some what based on the Trinity of Christianity.

Power is God the Father, Wisdom is Jesus and courage is the Holy spirit.

Power is God the father. In the bible, God had all these powers that could of destroyed the human race, he could kill a man and not break a sweat. He created the earth(according to the Bible) in 7 days.

Jesus is wisdom. He was called a teacher in the bible and taught many virtues, prayers and used wit to escape from danger.

The Holy spirit fits in courage. With out it the Apostles were scared. But when they received it, they suddenly preached all over the Roman Empire. The holy spirit even helped them keep their faith in the face of death.

I don't want to start with a religion debate but thats what I can come up with :p

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think I now know why Zelda has the largest and most faithful "cult" following of any series.

Gorons - tribal/industrial
Gerudo - Middle Eastern myth/egyptian tombs
Zora - Atlantis
Hyrule - mainstream middle-ages theology
Karikiko - Cowboys and Indians

Good luck pinning down a single faith to a parody of the history of the world of myth.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you can find symbols of pretty much any religion in Zelda if you look in the right places with the right mindset. The writer of that post didn't see the Christian interpretation while observing more Pagan and Eastern influences. However, Darkslash makes a pretty solid (I'd say) connection between the three goddesses and the Trinity. I, not being much for religion, never really thought about it too much in the Zelda context. But looking at the symbol of the Triforce and Bird, thinking of the story of Hyrule's creation, and all the rest, I can't help but think that it was all put in intentionally. The religion in Zelda is "intelligently designed", if you will. :chuckle:

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule really does has a faith that is totally it's own.

Link is savior figure in his own right. Everything he does serves to protect and inspire the people around him, and he does it all out of generosity and unbound courage. Conversely Ganondorf IS the embodiment of evil, he's deceitful, cruel and a bit cowardly. My personal favorite inspirational Link moment is the cut scenes and story surrounding Dodongo's Cavern. Sometime prior to Link arriving at death mountain for the first time, Ganondorf was had already paid a visit. He no doubt demanded the Goron's Ruby be handed over to him, presumably under threats of violence. The Goron's refuse to yield. Ganondorf then seals the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern threatening the very livelihood of Gorons (mining rocks to eat, and stuff to make bombs to sell). Link, however, blasts the cave open, and then proceeds to clear the infestation of monsters out of the cavern, all with little though of reward. The Goron's show their appreciation to Link by giving him the Goron's Ruby and making him an honorary brother.

The Triforce itself is simply an artifact of Power. For you see, courage and wisdom in and of themselves can be very powerful, but it's a different kind of power from the raw physical power represented by the triforce of Power.

Perhaps, though, Majora's Mask is the most powerfully symbolic of all the Legend of Zelda's, as this article demonstrates (click me). (It was posted before, but it's a really good read, worth posting again since the subject became appropriate, used it as source for an essay on philosophy in video games for my writing class last semester.) I can't put how awesome this article is in words, you have to read it for yourself.

The best thing is that Zelda promotes it's philosophy without promoting a faith. (I tend to thing that religions only cause more problems than they solve, yeah, I'm atheist.) Virtues expressed in the Legend of Zelda are universal. Courage, Kindness, Determination, Observation, and Problem Solving skills are all just good things to have.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
If you think the war on earth is between creationists/ religious and science...you are majorly mistaken. That war in itself is merely an illusion.
I know there isn't, There is somehow one in the US for some stupid reason, but worldwide, no. US, somehow, yes.

Sorry for this though, I thought it was a good point to show symbolism. Didn't think it would be taken wrongly

Scott!

Smash Lord
Hyrule really does has a faith that is totally it's own.

Link is savior figure in his own right. Everything he does serves to protect and inspire the people around him, and he does it all out of generosity and unbound courage. Conversely Ganondorf IS the embodiment of evil, he's deceitful, cruel and a bit cowardly. My personal favorite inspirational Link moment is the cut scenes and story surrounding Dodongo's Cavern. Sometime prior to Link arriving at death mountain for the first time, Ganondorf was had already paid a visit. He no doubt demanded the Goron's Ruby be handed over to him, presumably under threats of violence. The Goron's refuse to yield. Ganondorf then seals the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern threatening the very livelihood of Gorons (mining rocks to eat, and stuff to make bombs to sell). Link, however, blasts the cave open, and then proceeds to clear the infestation of monsters out of the cavern, all with little though of reward. The Goron's show their appreciation to Link by giving him the Goron's Ruby and making him an honorary brother.

The Triforce itself is simply an artifact of Power. For you see, courage and wisdom in and of themselves can be very powerful, but it's a different kind of power from the raw physical power represented by the triforce of Power.

Perhaps, though, Majora's Mask is the most powerfully symbolic of all the Legend of Zelda's, as this article demonstrates (click me). (It was posted before, but it's a really good read, worth posting again since the subject became appropriate, used it as source for an essay on philosophy in video games for my writing class last semester.) I can't put how awesome this article is in words, you have to read it for yourself.

The best thing is that Zelda promotes it's philosophy without promoting a faith. (I tend to thing that religions only cause more problems than they solve, yeah, I'm atheist.) Virtues expressed in the Legend of Zelda are universal. Courage, Kindness, Determination, Observation, and Problem Solving skills are all just good things to have.
One of the things I liked a lot in TP was the representation of Ganon and Link as super human. Ganon is explicitly called a god, and his golden fire cloud thing form suits that image very well. He's equated with ultimate power, and rightfully so, since he has the power of the gods in him. Link does play the role of a savior figure. He comes from nothing and saves the world from destruction. But he becomes more than that. He too holds the power of the gods, with the Triforce of Courage, and the Master Sword.

One of my favorite parts of the game is in the Twilight Palace, when the sword is infused with power and is glowing. Link is fighting his way up through the palace, holy sword in hand and the courage of the gods on the inside. At that moment for me, he was no longer a normal country boy. He was a god too. It was just incredibly epic, and the more I think about it, the more Link becomes an epic hero on par with the greatest classic stories. I mean, in the end of TP, he slays a dragon, battles through hordes of dark beasts and defeats the great evil's closest assistant, and then fights his way through a formidable castle to take down ultimate evil... Jeez. The sheer epic.

Darkslash

Smash Master
One of my favorite parts of the game is in the Twilight Palace, when the sword is infused with power and is glowing. Link is fighting his way up through the palace, holy sword in hand and the courage of the gods on the inside. At that moment for me, he was no longer a normal country boy. He was a god too. It was just incredibly epic, and the more I think about it, the more Link becomes an epic hero on par with the greatest classic stories. I mean, in the end of TP, he slays a dragon, battles through hordes of dark beasts and defeats the great evil's closest assistant, and then fights his way through a formidable castle to take down ultimate evil... Jeez. The sheer epic.
What you just said just made me like TP more.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That's a very good description, Scott. I never really thought as Link or Ganon becoming a God, but now that you say that, I can definitely see it. Very interesting.

It's actually not like they're Gods -- but humans with so much power given to them by the Gods, that they are inhuman, almost demi-Gods.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Good reads Raccoon, Scott, and Skyler.

I have a proposed project for all of us to take part in. Similar to what I've tried to do in the past, we need to all work together on the absolute best (and most unique and original) Zelda prompt for a game, coming up with a full-length story, characters, artwork, everything. We could pitch this idea to Nintendo if we bottle up all of the data in a clean, stuffed packet. I'm sure it'll get some attention somewhere down the line. All in favor?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

I have a proposed project for all of us to take part in. Similar to what I've tried to do in the past, we need to all work together on the absolute best (and most unique and original) Zelda prompt for a game, coming up with a full-length story, characters, artwork, everything. We could pitch this idea to Nintendo if we bottle up all of the data in a clean, stuffed packet. I'm sure it'll get some attention somewhere down the line. All in favor?
Unfortunately, I am pretty sure this project will not work if you pitch it to Nintendo. Nintendo surprisingly doesn't really listen to it's fans at all when games are made (at least, I'm pretty sure it doesn't); it's part of the reason the games are both good and original.

If you were to pursue this project, it would have to have the Zelda TP art style, but use none of the Zelda characters. Then you would have to turn it into an internet meme of sorts. Also, if you create the idea, the only way it could possibly ever become something is if you are the developer, as you own exclusive rights to your idea (causing most other developers to shy away). Which leads to the next problem - do any of us know how to make a video game? Forget even a 3D game, could any of us make a simple flash shooter? I know I can't.

However, if one of you knew a developer already that agreed to make the project, then there might be a ten percent chance of it getting published. Like The Conduit though, one of us must be a developer himself if the project is to gain attention through the masses.

If we were to work on a much simpler project though, like a wii-ware shooter or puzzle game, then we might have a chance, as us as individuals might have the potential to understand programming to make such a game in our own basements. For example, a Touhou Project style might be feasable as such games can be made by a single person, or a revolutionary spin on both shooter and puzzle games by combining the two genres into one.

comboking

Smash Master

I second that

also One of those posts made me like TP even more too.

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9g8iiotNig&feature=channel

We must all be hardcore Zelda fans?

Alzi

Smash Master
TP was awsome. One of the best parts was the Zant battle. I actually enjoyed TP alot, though i think i rushed through it too quickly which didn't make me like it as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom