• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

Smash Ace
My Zelda experience: I've played all (canon) Zeldas that don't have "Four Sword" in the name. I have beaten Link's Awakening, OoT (like 20 times...), MM, WW, the Oracle games, but never a linked game of both together, Minish Cap, PH. I've gotten to Ganon in ALttP, but never beaten him. It's such a hassle going through the whole tower to get to him after you lose. I've gotten about halfway through LoZ, not really sure how far exactly. In AoL, I beat the first dungeon, but didn't really enjoy it. So that's my history with Zelda. I don't usually beat the games perfectly, though I will explore for stuff. But I only do side quests that interest me. I got the 100 skulltulas, but never more than half of Angela's bugs. Biggoron Sword is necessary, as are the great fairies in MM, but not necessarily all masks on each playthrough. I'm working on my figurine collection in WW. Finished Windfall; that was tedious, but once I finally found the last person, I was pretty happy. I'd say I have about 2/3 of them total.
Mine:

LoZ: Don't remember when I first beat it, but I never bothered to 100% it until recently (mostly because I never needed [or wanted to]), but the second quest is quite enjoyable.

AoL: First beat this, um, maybe 8 years ago? Did a no attack levels run over the summer (which was originally no levels, but that didn't work too well), and that made the game so freakin' hard. I ended up having to break that rule for the Great Palace though, as I realized it'd have been impossible to get through it.

LttP: Gotten 100% a few times, but as with most of the Zeldas, I stop short because it's unnecessary. Did a No Sword Upgrade run a couple years ago. Trinexx...ugh. Ganon's not that much different with the Master Sword, but you do need to use the Spin Attack to hurt him.

LA/LADX: Just recently replayed & beat LADX, easily my favorite handheld Zelda.

OoT: I think this might have been the first Zelda I got 100% in - all Skulltulas, all Hearts, the two scales, all arrows, item upgrades. Also the only Zelda where I've played and beaten 3 hearts. On my last playthrough, I went further with the limitations I placed on myself: 3 hearts, minimalist (included no Fire Arrows and Lens of Truth), no deaths. Volvagia and Ganon(dorf) can be slightly challenging because you die if you get hit.

Because the Fire Arrows are needed for the Shadow Temple part of Ganon's Castle, I couldn't get through it without a glitch in the Spirit Temple rooms, and the Shadow Temple was, well, FUN. Bongo Bongo without the Lens is a ***** until you figure out how to properly space Link between the hands.

MM: Don't remember too much of this, as I haven't replayed it since I beat it the first time, but I really should. I do, however, <3 <3 <3 Fierce Deity Link.

Oracles: I didn't think they were too bad when they were released, but if I played them now, I'm not sure how I'd enjoy them.

WW/PH: I enjoyed WW once I got past the graphics (which wasn't hard, I grew up on 8 bit games), but PH was just crap.

Twilight Princess: Didn't like it two years ago, and hated the Ordon crap when I replayed it a couple months ago, but it's a great game.

My main problem with the Zelda series seems to be making sure they're challenging enough. Even with a ton of handicaps, I'm able to breeze through the games.

Yeah I always get Fierce Diety. That's like walking through Ocarina of Time and not making the Biggoron's Sword.

:laugh:
I agree. Biggoron's Sword kicks ***.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I want to wear the Adult Link Mask... though Fierce Deity is vastly more awesome, but still, that would be really cool. I'd just want to talk to everyone while wearing it to see their reactions. Would they notice the similarities? Would the characters who knew Link better, like Romani or the Bombers, figure it out?

Also, now I feel slightly guilty about not always getting the Fierce Deity Mask. I like the challenge of Majora without it though. And some masks are annoying to get, or are just silly. The All-Night Mask was kind of stupid to me, especially since it was the last one I got, save the FDM. Talk about anti-climactic. Blast Mask is still one of my favorites, and is often my weapon of choice in stupid situations, like a cave full of Keese.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
One thing I like about the ending to Majora's Mask is that it's different depending on how many masks you had/what you had completed in the Bomber's Notebook. I finally finished the Kaefi sidequest after I had beaten Majora the first time, and then saw their wedding was added into the credits. It was a nice touch.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
SkylerOcon

Why don't you add in the first post, a small description of each Zelda game with overall ratings (which could be voted on) for people who have never played certain Zelda games so they can decide which ones to get into.

For example

Original Zelda

Graphics: 9
Fun Factor: 10
Music: 10 (or over 9000!)
Story: 4
Maps: 7

(I made those numbers up, just to make a point not what I necessarily feel)

Also why are the CD-I games not in the timeline?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
SkylerOcon

Why don't you add in the first post, a small description of each Zelda game with overall ratings (which could be voted on) for people who have never played certain Zelda games so they can decide which ones to get into.

For example

Original Zelda

Graphics: 9
Fun Factor: 10
Music: 10 (or over 9000!)
Story: 4
Maps: 7

(I made those numbers up, just to make a point not what I necessarily feel)

Also why are the CD-I games not in the timeline?
Although those numbers are just made up, when recommending new players to a series you should probably rate the games based entirely upon their appeal to a first-time player. For example, the Original Zelda has aged, such that the graphics would be a 2 and the music a 4. At the time both were impressive, but showing off those 8-bit graphics and fairy simple MIDI tunes as a 9 and a 10 respectively is not going to make anyone want to play a Zelda game.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Perhaps not a number ranking on things like graphics and music, things that have been technologically restricted. Maybe just say that the graphics were impressive for their time and system, although that's pretty much a constant for Zelda games. Of course, the story was heavily restricted as well, as was the gameplay, and the...

I do like the rankings idea, though I'm pretty sure I won't be giving games less than maybe a 7 out of 10 in terms of overall goodness, even for AoL. I can tell it's a good game I just don't enjoy. But that's just me.

Also, the CD-i games aren't part of the timeline because Nintendo had nothing much to do with them and likes to pretend they never happened, as do most fans who've played them or just make fun of them.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Noooooooo that would defeat the purpose. Then it should say

Graphics for the NES: 9

With an explanation that it is very old.
Maybe, but giving 8-bit graphics a 9 out of ten defeat the purpose of having a review at all - to tell people that are unsure about a game whether or not hey should buy it. Giving the graphics a 9 is only servicing people who are already long-time Zelda fans, and already know how good those graphics were for an NES game. Only by telling newcomers to the series exactly how good the games are by today's standards will more people become Zelda fans.

OoT was a great game at the time, and a revolution in it's genre. But Twilight Princess is improved in almost every way. New fans have trouble appreciating the brilliance of OoT because it was a thing of the time, but they can still greatly appreciate TP. Thus, it would be an injustice to the series to tell them that OoT is still the best game, when they won't view it as such.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I have never played the CD-I games but the cutscenes were enough to make me laugh pretty hard lol.

How does one even bump into them just to see how terrible they are?
Youtube. In fact, here's one of Wand of Gamelon cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llndrOlWYAQ

and Faces of Evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKSildy2EQ

Viewer beware: lame factor is over 9000. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one for the 3rd CD-I title, but I'm sure that's not a bad thing.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Youtube. In fact, here's one of Wand of Gamelon cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llndrOlWYAQ

and Faces of Evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKSildy2EQ

Viewer beware: lame factor is over 9000. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one for the 3rd CD-I title, but I'm sure that's not a bad thing.
lol... idiots who never played them and judge them on dumb reviews and the cheesy cutscenes. =)

Zelda's Adventure btw had live action cutscenes.

Honestly, the CD-i Zelda games aren't that terrible. They have somewhat unresponsive controls - but that's a general CD-i problem - and are at times slightly frustrating, but overall, I think the CD-i Zelda games (and Hotel Mario) were pretty darn cool and epic. I loved them, and will hate my father forever for selling our CD-i back in the day.

Getting the CD-i nowadays is a pretty expensive thing because they are pretty rare.

Spire

III
BRoomer
lol... idiots who never played them and judge them on dumb reviews and the cheesy cutscenes. =)

Honestly, the CD-i Zelda games aren't that terrible. They have somewhat unresponsive controls - but that's a general CD-i problem - and are at times slightly frustrating, but overall, I think the CD-i Zelda games (and Hotel Mario) were pretty darn cool and epic. I loved them, and will hate my father forever for selling our CD-i back in the day.

Getting the CD-i nowadays is a pretty expensive thing because they are pretty rare.
I've heard the same from another. Apparently, the games are actually pretty fun to play, so I definitely take your word on it, Spadefox.

I'd love to get a chance to play them.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, the first two work basically like Adventure of Link, and the third one (Zelda's Adventure) is top view like the usual first Zelda games were. If you don't expect an immense epic game, they are actually really quite fun. Most people who judged them are judging them from a nowadays viewpoint. Nowadays, a lot of games that were incredibly awesome back in the day could be considered bad.

As said, I liked the games. They had some things that were quite horrible such as the controls, but it's nothing that is too extreme. <<"
For the given development time each game had, they actually are quite good.

Scott!

Smash Lord
If only Nintendo didn't wish the CD-I games were never made; they'd be perfect for VC. I might even spend $5 on them, just for the laughs.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Er... why? Most people who would come into this thread could just ask about if we recommended the games to them. Adding in rankings for each game is kind of silly... if people want to know how good they are, they can always just ask us! I don't really see the point to this.

@Spade:

You make me want to play the CDi games...

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm excited for MM to come to the VC.

Anyone think they'll add the gameboy/GBA to the VC? I would love that so much.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I'm excited for MM to come to the VC.

Anyone think they'll add the gameboy/GBA to the VC? I would love that so much.
I'd love that, because I never played Majora's Mask and it sounds like I'd really enjoy it. I also hope for Earthbound... well, I can dream, can't I?

EDIT: After watching some CD-i gameplay videos on Youtube, I have to admit they look fun.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'd love that, because I never played Majora's Mask and it sounds like I'd really enjoy it. I also hope for Earthbound... well, I can dream, can't I?
What IS the deal with earthbound?

I never heard of it prior to SSBM, in spite of unlocking Ness in SSB64.

Is there a reason it's not on virtual console?

Scott!

Smash Lord
I believe, though it was a while ago that I read the article on it, that Earthbound had legal issues of some sort keeping it from being released. And I only heard of it from Smash too. Not having a SNES would do that, I guess.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
What IS the deal with earthbound?

I never heard of it prior to SSBM, in spite of unlocking Ness in SSB64.

Is there a reason it's not on virtual console?
I guess it's because it isn't something gamers outside of Japan enjoy. I mean, it's very... out-there.

EDIT: Oh, there were legal problems? Didn't realize it. That means its chances now drop even lower.

drcossack

Smash Ace

Hmm, I suppose eventually I'll try them (if I can find them), but that guy at the beginning of the WoG cutscenes was pretty creepy. If they're similar to the original Zelda titles, they can't be all that bad.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I never had friends to play FS with, and we only had one copy of the game, so I couldn't play with my sister. Never got FSA for some reason. Maybe next time I'm in a game place, if it's cheap, I'll grab it.

Alzi

Smash Master
I'll be getting majoras mask this thursday on the VC maybe.

Us Australian's have got somthing awsome before Americans :D

c3gill

Smash Ace
I'll be getting majoras mask this thursday on the VC maybe.

Us Australian's have got somthing awsome before Americans :D
im very jealous- hopefully this is a sign of something good to come on VC.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom