• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sorry, but this matchup is one place where Luigi is better. Mario probably swings some major pipe in the sack enough to make Peach multi-orgasm, but at least Luigi has the matchup. Mario gets sports games named after him, but Luigi has this matchup. They're called the Mario brothers even though apparently Mario isn't their last names... but Luigi has the matchup. We all know Mario has slept with Daisy even if it was long ago. How would you feel if your older brother slept with your girlfriend? But at least Luigi has this matchup.

To Mario: Give Luigi something you selfish prick!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sorry, but this matchup is one place where Luigi is better. Mario probably swings some major pipe in the sack enough to make Peach multi-orgasm, but at least Luigi has the matchup. Mario gets sports games named after him, but Luigi has this matchup. They're called the Mario brothers even though apparently Mario isn't their last names... but Luigi has the matchup. We all know Mario has slept with Daisy even if it was long ago. How would you feel if your older brother slept with your girlfriend? But at least Luigi has this matchup.

Yeah...Luigi is better in Brawl, Galaxy, SMB 2, and Mario 64 DS than Mario? That's gotta be worth something :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Luigi has a mansion and is a billionaire. =/

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Well, Mario's got the recognition. Bowser has been known to refer to the brothers as "Mario and green Mario." I can name 100 things that make Luigi better than Mario, but in the end, Mario is still the most recognized.

100. Luigi's mustache isn't evil.
99. Luigi is taller.
98. By the logic of 99, Luigi has "larger feet".
97. Luigi is more in-tune to the ghostly world.
96. If courage isn't the absence of fear, then Luigi's the most courageous person in the world.

To be cont'd.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Mari beats Luigi IN BRAWL because Sakurai misdesigned Luigi. Otherwise Luigi'd be god tier for sure, get ***** bro.
/trolling

But seriously, how do you fight Marios ? I'm not accostumed to fight an opponent that's even more offensive than me...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Idk I mean Luigi is a pedo so that his style enough for me ROFL.

Cr4sh please tell me you play a good Diddy, make a good thread on the whole matchup against diddy pl0x. Pretty sure none of us don't know half of other banana techs lol

TreK

Is "that guy"
I could teach you some, but diddies will hate me forever ;D
Jk, Luigi's banana game is poor... He just doesn't get comboed nor killed by diddy ; that alone is the "huge" advantage Luigi has over Diddy, as it's negating diddy's top strength and aggravating diddy's top weakness.
Diddy still has ****loads of tools, don't think he's an easy opponent.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mario vs Luigi 50-50 ,50-50, 50-50, 50-50, 50-50, 50-50,50-50...one of the most even matchups in the game in my opinion.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
95. Luigi is pedo.
94. This one time, someone asked Luigi what time it was, and Luigi punched him in the face.
93. Luigi slipperyness means he never needs lube.
92. Luigi is funny.
91. Mario's Tornado was removed. Buhahahaha!
To be cont'd.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I could teach you some, but diddies will hate me forever ;D
Jk, Luigi's banana game is poor... He just doesn't get comboed nor killed by diddy ; that alone is the "huge" advantage Luigi has over Diddy, as it's negating diddy's top strength and aggravating diddy's top weakness.
Diddy still has ****loads of tools, don't think he's an easy opponent.
This is actually 100000000000% correct. Luigi negates diddy's banana game pretty hard, but he still has a crap ton of stuff he can do, its just not as effective. You still have to play smart in this matchup, that stupid monkey is sooo maneuverable its ********.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
90. Nobody expects Jinjo Luigi!
89. Luigi doesn't lose his hats.
88. Have you ever seen Luigi hiding in your closet? No? That's because he hides well.
87. Green is a color easier to word play than red (eg. "green with envy", "save some green", etc.)
86. Luigi smells like clean linen.
To be cont'd.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Hallo. I like weegee because I think he's a pretty cool guy, shoryukens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Anything in particular I should know about Luigi? So far I play him, basically like Jigglypuff. I space with fair and bair, Usually when they're recovering I'll hit them with a dair incase I get lucky and it spikes, and it's usually a little bit fresh.

I basically treat his shoryuken like rest. I'm curious about one thing though;

What frame does shoryuken come out on?

Icyo

Smash Ace
Hallo. I like weegee because I think he's a pretty cool guy, shoryukens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Anything in particular I should know about Luigi? So far I play him, basically like Jigglypuff. I space with fair and bair, Usually when they're recovering I'll hit them with a dair incase I get lucky and it spikes, and it's usually a little bit fresh.

Good stuff, mani.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
6th frame according to Magus' Extensive Frame Data guide.

85. You thought Luigi smelling like clean linen was nice? His farts smell of fresh rain after a long drought.
84. Luigi has a 12.5% chance of misfiring; Mario has a 0% chance of misfiring.
83. Luigi in the Mario & Luigi series brought high-waters back in style.
82. There are many Marios (I have 3 in my family alone), but how many Luigis do you know?
81. Mario literally looks up to Luigi. Luigi looks down on Mario.
To be cont'd.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't matter if you know how exactly how many taps per second you're making, all you need to know is you need to do it faster. The secret? Technique. I'll ask again: Do you use a GameCube controller?
I thought the "yup" in the beginning of the post was clear enough. But okay again yes lol.

Haven't been on the luigi boards so didn't respond earlier.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I thought the "yup" in the beginning of the post was clear enough. But okay again yes lol.
You thought wrong. When you put "yup" in the same sentence relating to something else completely, it makes it seem you're saying "yup" to that other unrelated thing. "Yes, I like BBQ ribs" sounds like you are fond of ribs, not that you were answering a question about tax returns.

Anyway, you need to change your tap method. The most effective way is to tense up your finger/thumb, your hand and wrist, all the way to your forearm. I mean very tense... so tense that your arm begins to vibrate. It looks sort of like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjxSDDD5Mdw

So, lock up your fingers and vibrate your arm. You get major rise this way.

80. Luigi is slightly younger than Mario (perhaps by only a few minutes), so he's most likely to live longer.
79. FACT: Luigi can run on water (for brief periods of time). Like semi-Jesus.
78. Mario wears boxers. Luigi goes commando.
77. Ever the patriot, not only does Luigi wear green, but his socks are red and white.
76. Split personality? Check.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Frame 6, which is the same speed as most F-tilts and standing grabs.

Up-B is waaaaaay better than Rest because you can actually afford to semi-spam it. Yeah, it's punishable, but usually you only take damage for whiffing it.

I don't like Jab->Up-B because I know that most of the cast can block it. However against people who don't have Luigi experience, I usually find it pretty easy to land by just spotdodging, randomly walking up and Up-Bing, or predicting a dodge. Sometimes, I even Up-B out of shield (works best if they whiff or if you powershield).

By the way, I still hate F-smash. I'd take Up-B over F-smash any day man....

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
You thought wrong. When you put "yup" in the same sentence relating to something else completely, it makes it seem you're saying "yup" to that other unrelated thing. "Yes, I like BBQ ribs" sounds like you are fond of ribs, not that you were answering a question about tax returns.

Anyway, you need to change your tap method. The most effective way is to tense up your finger/thumb, your hand and wrist, all the way to your forearm. I mean very tense... so tense that your arm begins to vibrate. It looks sort of like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjxSDDD5Mdw

So, lock up your fingers and vibrate your arm. You get major rise this way.
Okay , yeah that video opened my eyes up. I kinda thought it was all about the thumb , but its the whole hand.

And in my sentence I said.

"Yup , whoops cyclone I play MK" after you asked "Do you use a GameCube controller?"

What other question could I possibly be answering?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Frame 6, which is the same speed as most F-tilts and standing grabs.

Up-B is waaaaaay better than Rest because you can actually afford to semi-spam it. Yeah, it's punishable, but usually you only take damage for whiffing it.

I don't like Jab->Up-B because I know that most of the cast can block it. However against people who don't have Luigi experience, I usually find it pretty easy to land by just spotdodging, randomly walking up and Up-Bing, or predicting a dodge. Sometimes, I even Up-B out of shield (works best if they whiff or if you powershield).

By the way, I still hate F-smash. I'd take Up-B over F-smash any day man....
Any frames of invincibility? Rest comes out on frame 2 with one frame of invincibility, so you can rest through multihit attacks. It's a tech luigi can live without, but I thought it would be useful to bring up.

Btw, I would take the shoryuken over rest. I'd rather have the sweetspot be in front of me, not inside my hurtbox (Especially on the lightest character in the game).

Does Luigi have a matchup discussion? @_@

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Nah he doesn't we don't do matchups here, we're too cool, and all the boards come to us LOLOL. But otherwise, you can just ask here in this GD or Q/A since it doesn't make too much of a difference. And obviously, you love a nice grounded range of a Jab to make legit jab upbs on olimars =D

but just to give a quick td;dr, luigi does WELL against wario (5/5?) olimar/Diddy kong, and rest of his matchups are either 5/5, 55:45 or 6/4 advantage.

and does bad against, marth, gaw, mk, DDD, (snake? hippie emo lol)

when you look at it, people LOVE to pick up luigi because hes incredibley fun, to land 5 aerials in a row, have a jab upb, a slippery traction to move lulzy moves, hes a pedo, and hes just lulz, but when you take him to a high level play, let's just say his learning curve is not what you want.

Also l remember cr4sh pointing out obvious newb luigis = NEVER GET DESPERATE/INPATIENT FOR THE KILL.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Nah he doesn't we don't do matchups here, we're too cool, and all the boards come to us LOLOL. But otherwise, you can just ask here in this GD or Q/A since it doesn't make too much of a difference. And obviously, you love a nice grounded range of a Jab to make legit jab upbs on olimars =D

but just to give a quick td;dr, luigi does WELL against wario (5/5?) olimar/Diddy kong, and rest of his matchups are either 5/5, 55:45 or 6/4 advantage.

and does bad against, marth, gaw, mk, DDD, (snake? hippie emo lol)

when you look at it, people LOVE to pick up luigi because hes incredibley fun, to land 5 aerials in a row, have a jab upb, a slippery traction to move lulzy moves, hes a pedo, and hes just lulz, but when you take him to a high level play, let's just say his learning curve is not what you want.

Also l remember cr4sh pointing out obvious newb luigis = NEVER GET DESPERATE/INPATIENT FOR THE KILL.
Ahhh I was worried people would ignore my questions. Thanks everyone for the responses :D

The matchups pointers will help. I'm not too worried about Marth/G&W since I don't see them often. My MK is good enough to take care of them anyways.

But, how bad is the DDD matchup? I understand he has an infinite grab, but luigi seems like a character that would be really good at "Not getting grabbed."

more questions though;

I'm definitely not at a high level of luigi play, and I'm not really afraid of a high learning curve, but is luigi still fun at a high level of play? How different is his play style from when you first pick him up? If he's really that hard at a high level of play I want to avoid bad habits from my scrubby low level.

TreK

Is "that guy"
But, how bad is the DDD matchup? I understand he has an infinite grab, but luigi seems like a character that would be really good at "Not getting grabbed."
Without the infinite, it's pretty even. DDD still has a broken bair, utilt, dash shield chaingrb and all that stuff, but he gets combo'd soooo easily when you finally land a hit lol. It'd be DDD adv if we didn't have pedo CPs.

more questions though;

I'm definitely not at a high level of luigi play, and I'm not really afraid of a high learning curve, but is luigi still fun at a high level of play? How different is his play style from when you first pick him up? If he's really that hard at a high level of play I want to avoid bad habits from my scrubby low level.
The thing is, Luigi's bad matchups are the top tiers, and 80% of the people play top tiers.
Luigi's learning curve looks like that imo ->
-learn to space
-learn to space better because you just got infinited
-learn to set up kills
-learn to powershield
-perfect everything so you can get as pedo as boss

Btw, here are 3 new vids of my Luigi. They're from 2 weeks ago. Wifi but that's all you'll get from me for 1-2 more months lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8WlBJ5F-c&layer_token=d4cfc3fc6f60ae81
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goEhxBN7k9o&layer_token=b767fb19389444ca don't watch the ending of this one T_T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPpwRkhqJM&layer_token=207e5f6ce095a7d5
Go go flame...hmm critique meI mean, I wanna improve :V

Edit : changed the links so you can add annotations yourself. It makes it easier for critique and stuff.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Luigi is actually pretty bad at "not getting grabbed". Regardless if the infinite is banned and/or you're pro at mashing D3 is a super fun matchup. Combo city man.

Except Bthrow still does 16%. Who thought of that gayness?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Luigi is actually pretty bad at "not getting grabbed". Regardless if the infinite is banned and/or you're pro at mashing D3 is a super fun matchup. Combo city man.

Except Bthrow still does 16%. Who thought of that gayness?
If you can get through his camp. I wouldn't of thought of that gayness.

In other news, we can remove basically all the threads on the board except this one and no one would notice. xD

CR4SH

Smash Lord

Luigi is ALWAYS going to be fun. He's hilarious, he's a blast. The one thing about him that can be discouraging (aside from the fact that all his terribad matchups are super common in tournaments) is that he's so slow.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
What other question could I possibly be answering?
"Yup" can also mean you agree with my post.

This degraded rather quickly.

75. "Luigi doesn't afraid of anything."
74. Luigi doesn't have "plubmer's crack" like Mario.
73. Luigi's fireball defies gravity and therefore makes Luigi a wizzard of sorts.
72. It's been said that Luigi once beat Mario at Connect Four... though Luigi might have lied.
71. Luigi has a Mansion; Mario only rents a room from him.

Top Bottom