• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea guys I agree. I mess mks up. the matchup aint nearly as bad as the others.
Yall got it down. Bait there attacks and just pk fire them. When inside if u get a hit, then shield and bait their followup, and then follow up with a dair for major damage.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
I do find the mk mu with Lucas a bit easier also that dair to a tilt lock is sexy <3 mekos have you tries project m yet? Lucas is bad *** <3

:phone:

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
We should get a Lucas skype exchange going on. That way we can actually talk about stuff as Lucas mains effectively.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Haha , well it would be even easier if we justed used it as an IM thing, I think. I'm from the Louisiana man. I can deal with accents.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I won't be home until tomorrow so I'll set up the conversation when I get back. That way we can give people time to give me more contacts, too. Mekos where you at??

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Aw sorry I'm late to the Lucas tier discussion... I just wanted to add that anybody that loses to a Lucas says he's an under-rated character and shouldn't be low tier. Then you have the people that train with us Lucas mains that know all the tricks and they say the character is bad. I must say I agree with the latter few. In the end, it's all tricks and gimmicks, and they can only take you so far. So just roll with it, and hope you play someone that doesn't know those gimmicks, or hope you are smarter than your opponent enough to outplay them in an entire set. Either way, good luck, Lucas brethren.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
U have to go beyond the gimmicks and actually master the mechanics in the game that is what helps me.
Master Di, sdi, spacing, learning how to read yer opponents, etc.
For ex. you should at least live to 120% every stock.
When I try to help people most people admit they have not masted Diing and I can see that when I watch them play. You gotta master the fundamentals of the game.

@Eso - It is Carrie V. Dewberry. But next week man. This week is finals :(

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
U have to go beyond the gimmicks and actually master the mechanics in the game that is what helps me.
Master Di, sdi, spacing, learning how to read yer opponents, etc.
For ex. you should at least live to 120% every stock.
When I try to help people most people admit they have not masted Diing and I can see that when I watch them play. You gotta master the fundamentals of the game.
I agree 100% with this post.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I thought his post was pretty informative... He is just trying to refute that all the character has is gimmicks. He is trying to tell you that his success is based off of fundamentals, not tricks. It seemed like it was pretty objective to me.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
He didn't really refute that, he just said that there are character non-specific aspects to the game that alter who wins. Someone with a great understanding of their character without knowledge of how to properly space, DI, or whatever probably won't be beating someone who knows how the game works, even if their skill with their character isn't quite as high.

So instead of Lucas just having gimmicks, he's got gimmicks and the basic stuff everyone else has.

Now I like to think he's got more than just gimmicks, but what would really give him any sort of edge would probably be.... the gimmicks. I don't play at a high enough level to know if he's deserving of Mid or if he should stay in Low tier, but I definitely don't think he's good enough to rise above any of that stuff, because he just gets screwed over by game mechanics (10 extra grab release frames) and doesn't have any match ups that matter that are hugely in his favor. Even if we assume his match up spread is currently the most pessimistic it could be, I'm definitely not seeing any +2 or better match up on any viable tournament character, which means if you want to win, you actually have to outplay your opponent completely. That's not impossible, if you're better at reading, punishing, spacing, or whatever, but that's not the skill that Lucas has; that's the skill that you, as the player, has.

Lucas is not a character to play if you want to win a bunch of money. It's not that it's impossible to win tournaments with him, it's just not very likely. But, you know, as far as just enjoying the game goes, you can play whoever the balls you want. I like Lucas. I don't expect him to be a top tier character but when I started playing this game last year, I chose the one I had most fun playing, not the one at the top of the tier list because competition really only matters if you like the game. If you can't at least play a character that lets you enjoy the game, what's the point of competing at high levels? :/

All this arguing over how good Lucas is or isn't seems pretty pointless to me because, at this point in the game, it's pretty obvious that he's not very good. It doesn't matter if he doesn't have any unwinnable match ups or if his current match up spread is too negative and not representative of what they really should be.... he's just not very good by design. Those grab release frames **** him up, and there's very little he can do to approach certain characters safely outside of outplaying your opponent. If your character's strengths are "being played well by players who are really, really good," your character's strengths are pretty terrible. I'm sure there are more things someone better than me at this game can point out, but I dunno, thinking Lucas is any good is kind of silly, imo. Even though it'd be cool if he was super ****ing awesome. .-.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I thought his post was pretty informative... He is just trying to refute that all the character has is gimmicks. He is trying to tell you that his success is based off of fundamentals, not tricks. It seemed like it was pretty objective to me.
^ This x 10

Yea I don't know why people are always thinking I'm down talking others. I love helping other people. I am just straight forward the way I talk. I guess some people would say I'm blunt. But by my bluntness I am not trying to make others feel bad.

I have never relied on lucas "gimmicks" to win. I don't c-bounce or whatever its called(haha I don't even know if that is the correct name). I never thought that was good cuz just like u said, Nasty it is just a gimmick that tricks people who are unaware. When I would watch a vids of lucas players doing that stuff and hitting people, I would see where the person could punish the lucas player and obviously was just unaware of what to do.

Like my man Eso said I do well cuz of my mastery of the fundamentals. I have a good offensive and defensive game. Solid mixups and really good spacing. I also gained the ability to read(learn their habits really quick) my opponents. Learning to read my opponents helped take my game to the next level.

I've noticed that many people no matter what character they use don't have a full mastery of the fundamentals. My advice is to get that. It will help out so much.
One thing for singles I gotta work on is mastery of sding certain attacks.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I hate to say this but I AM looking for a new main... haha

and Mekos it seems like no one understands what you say but me, haha

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
All those things you're doing don't make Lucas a good character, though. That just makes you a good player.... if that was literally all it took, the game wouldn't be so unbelievably busted when you compared the top and bottom of the tier list.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
That isn't all it takes. That is a big part tho. So my point is good player(fundamentals basically mastered) + lucas = a decent character. Mid tier quality. Cuz our discussion has been about the tier list. It also connects to the match up chart. When u master the fundamentals it changes matchups as well.

Example 1: Ness vs Lucas. A lucas who has sdi mastered can bait a pk fire from ness, sdi it and get health recovered. This fundamental slightly changes this matchup and forces ness not to use pk fire as much. it's pretty awesome. Also the "snaking" technique I created also helps with spacing against Ness really well(not a fundamental but I thought I would add that haha).

Example 2: Mk vs Lucas. Mk is known for gimping the crap out of most characters and lucas is no different. But with a good defensive spacing mastered(master how to recover against mk. I like to fall to pk fire his shield to tether or to airdodge against the ledge on to the stage. There are many different things u can do and u have to mix it up based on the mk's positioning.) and sdi mastered mks attacks off stage aren't as much of a threat. This old vid shows this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIG6PVVycY Mekos vs Anti

Example 3: Snake vs Lucas. A lucas who has mastered sding snakes attacks can do this awesome feat. When the snake grabs u and then trys to ftilt u. U can sdi the first attack and go through him and then punish. This is much easier for ness than lucas. This is pretty tuff to do. I don't have this 100% down yet. If a lucas can get this down this will change the matchup drastically. This would mean that the snake can no longer have a guaranteed free% after the grab release.

Example 4: Lucas vs Anyone. Lucas is a middle weight! He is pretty heavy. Like I said earlier, master how to Di correctly. You should on average be surviving to around 120-140. My average in singles is around 140% and in doubles is around 170%.

So u see how the mastery of the fundamentals changes matchups? Those were just a few examples.
The world hasn't seen all lucas has to offer. It's our duty to show them. Some people still think lucas has a terrible recovery haha.

@Eso - I know right _-_ hahaha

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
Examples like that make it seem like you're saying only Lucas can adapt to different situations. It's like, if you "learn how to recover against MK," what stops the MK from learning how to prevent that? I'm not trying to argue that DI, SDI, spacing, reading, et cetera are unimportant, but those aren't Lucas tricks, those are SSBB tricks. Anyone can do that with any character. That doesn't give Lucas an edge, it gives him a fighting chance base don PLAYER ability. Not character ability.

A good player can make a bad character place well in tournaments. A good player of a bad character can beat a good player of a good character. But the tools available to the good character are better than the tools available to the low tier character. They have an easier time recovering or spacing or whatever it is.... which is what puts them in those tiers. Lucas has a good number of tools, especially for a character on his place in the list, but a lot of the characters tiered higher than him (not all of them...) have outright better tools that cover more options in more situations. Not to mention that a lot of characters just need to grab him at a certain percentage (0% for some characters) in order to kill him.... the odds are stacked against him more so than they should be for me to consider him a good character.

This, once again, has no bearing on how well a person can play him or who he is able to beat. It doesn't mean that a Lucas main can't do something impressive or have such great control over certain aspects of the game (SDI, for example) that he can place better than he should be able to do. But those things are player-reliant, not Lucas-reliant.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Example 3: Snake vs Lucas. A lucas who has mastered sding snakes attacks can do this awesome feat. When the snake grabs u and then trys to ftilt u. U can sdi the first attack and go through him and then punish. This is much easier for ness than lucas. This is pretty tuff to do. I don't have this 100% down yet. If a lucas can get this down this will change the matchup drastically. This would mean that the snake can no longer have a guaranteed free% after the grab release.
And don't forget Mekos. A happy spotdoging snake is a free up-smash x3.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Jimmy please understand that I am not disagreeing with you...._-_

But people are seeing lucas do really poorly. But sadly alot of loocases I see don't have the fundamentals mastered. I don't think it is fair to judge a character not using all the tools at his disposal. U get what I am saying?

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Basically: you gotta be good to be good

Might just switch to MK because I'm really enjoying P:M a lot. That way I can just faceroll tourneys and maybe place LOL

Jamwa

Smash Champion
You guys must understand that this game purely comes down to reads.
Lucas is only a lower character because he doesn't have as many punish or space as other characters, but if you know what you're opponent is going to do, you can predict and punish accordingly.
Lucas' limitations on options just makes it harder to win, and you have to be much more consistent with your reads as the other "high-tiers" can make safe options more often that are harder to punish.
AT's, Gimmicks, spacing, chain-grabs, fundamentals, etc - these just make the game easier and award character's with a high tier position.

Slightly related, whats the best move to Di with as Lucas? i know fair for horizontal momentum and jump->air-dodging when necessary, but thats pree much it hehe

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
ff dair is good for vertical momentum, I fair when going horizontal as well. I often uair when I'm going to the corner, idk if this is optimal, but it seems to work.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Jamwa - You are correct.

Answer to question: Fair is the best. I never understood why I see others nair. Don't do that even if it might look "Cool". You are already diing correct if u are fairing. To nair means that u have stopped diing with the analog(the gray one) controller stick and put it in a neutral state. That is not good (and is a sign u don't have di mastered).

I'm proud u guys hit it on the nail. Fair, fair, fair!! uair is second best but fair is the best.

bair if it is against Ness' back throw haha (slightly joking. His back throw flips your body)

T-block

B2B TST
ummm whaaaaaaaaat

do all the g+w's that use n-air to bucket brake not have DI mastered then?

if you're trying to cancel vertical knockback, it doesn't matter which aerial you use. all that matters is that you fast fall the aerial as soon as it starts.

if you're trying to cancel horizontal momentum, you want to use the aerial that ends the fastest, which for you guys is n-air. this will allow you to take the appropriate momentum cancelling action as soon as possible. rpsi correct me if i'm wrong on some of the details (how does using air dodge compare to your aerials?)

regardless, you should brush up on your understanding of DI and momentum cancelling, mekos. the direction for DI is registered on the last frame if hitlag. ie- after you're sent on your launch trajectory, you cannot influence it by holding a direction. as long as you are holding the appropriate direction when you start flying, allowing the analog stick to return to neutral will not negatively affect your survivability in any way.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
@BC25 All sorts of good uses. Mind games, stalling, but mostly for recovering low to high (especially when under the ledge). You might want to use pkfire->magnet pull if you are already high enough, that way you can cover a long ways horizontally since you're coming in high anyway.

@T-block you probably used the worst example ever. G&W uses nair because he can get his bucket out faster, which is a move that cancels all momentum. We don't exactly have that in our tool set. About your other comments I cannot say because I am not so learned as some others are. rpsi would be welcome to help clear this up.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Well I just looked up the frame data, and it looks like nair ends a whopping 1 frame after fair and uair. None the less, it is faster. Let's get some other opinions on this... Maybe Mekos has a reason for fair that we don't know about.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I already explained it. You should have a good read on how your are going to get hit. Buffer which way you are going to di. While doing that immediately after the hit fair. If u are nairing then like I said before you are allowing the analog stick to be at a neutral state.

Trust me guys...I'll search for a vid real quick showing this.

@T-block if you are nairing that means u are not buffering your DI. U should buffer it to get the best results. U don't have to believe me but if u watch my vids u see I survive for very high %s. I'm only sharing what I do. And it doesn't matter for vertical or horizontal use fair. U most likely will always be diing with some horizontal input(diagonal) no matter what way you are going. Even if you are about to be hit straight up or straight down. U don't just jam down or up. A diagonal position down/up is best.

One last time to try to explain it as best as I can:
DIing is about canceling your momentum AND influencing the direction your body is going. U should be buffering the direction you want your body to go or (if u miss the buffer) be doing it immediately as u get hit. Fair is best because your are canceling/breaking your momentum WHILE continuing to influence your direction. If you use Nair you are canceling your momentum while NOT influencing your direction. Does that make sense?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Technically B-air is the best option, but Lucas' attacks are all generally the same length so it doesn't matter. Just make sure to FF if you're going up but not if you're going Horizontal.

You don't actually buffer DI btw. It just happens to be determined the first frame of actual knockback. If you buffered DI you'd go the direction that you'd SDI. :p

Break down of how you should be DIing:
A) Recognize what's about to hit you. You dun goof'd now, look where you're going to end up. Is it up or sideways.
B) If you recognized what's going to hit you or predicted it, SDI that **** in the opposite direction it sends you. This isn't always gonna happen cause sometimes it's a quick attack you don't recognize
C) Before you get sent flying make sure you have the control stick pointed the right direction. If it's an attack with horizontal knockback hold up. If it's an attack with vertical knockback hold to the side that you'll get more direction towards the corner.
D) Once you're flying, know when you regain control of your character. Practice this so you can always get the optimal timing.
E) If you get hit and you'll fly above the corners, do an aerial and fast fall immediately (the aerial doesn't matter). This curves your trajectory towards the corners. If you're hit horizontally, do NOT fast fall. This gets you killed faster. Instead, do an aerial (fastest one is Bair) and double jump (only if you will die if you don't double jump... save that ***** if you can).
F) Recover.

Edit3: why the hell did I make this post again?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Okay guys RPSI knows all the correct techy terms. I think my explanation is easy enuff to understand as well lol even if my jargon isn't 100% correct.

Here is a good example
Mekos vs Esam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBdYDjZIOJ8

Best Example --> Here is another match. Check out 3:01. I think I know what I'm talking about. I have one of the best DIs in the community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyeSkMIdvVQ&feature=relmfu

Bottom line IMO fair gives me the best control in the air. U can take the advice or leave it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Honestly, it's a difference of a few frames so whatever works for you. I usually fair too.

And I'm not saying Mekos is wrong about anything he's saying. He definitely knows how to DI and momentum cancel. He's just not the best of explaining how to do it online.
I got ya, bro.
Only thing I could possibly say is watch out on those magnet pulls. Pika can abuse those.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Thanks for the advice lol. Part of smash is adapting. He didn't get me with that again ;)

I want to use a phrase I saw my boy illmatic say. this pertains to those other things like backair might be technically the best and so on.

"It may look good on paper but in reality it aint the truth". He said something along those lines lol.
U get the point. It's not all about frame data yall. There are always other factors at play.

Top Bottom