• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
dtilt locks are terrible because:

a) your opponent has to be stupid enough to not DI out of dair (Which is, I assume the most commonly used move to get them OTG?)
b) your opponent has to be stupid enough to not tech when hitting the ground

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
dtilt locks are awesome because:

a) you cannot tech a footstool
b) certain characters cannot tech being pushed from their shield off a platform

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
dtilt locks are terrible because:

a) your opponent has to be stupid enough to not DI out of dair (Which is, I assume the most commonly used move to get them OTG?)
b) your opponent has to be stupid enough to not tech when hitting the ground
So from what you're saying the Dtilt lock itself isn't bad, but it's hard to get someone in it. The Dtilt lock is good because the word lock assumes that you've already started the first down tilt which is inescapable.

Plus, there are a lot more ways to try to get someone in a Dtilt lock rather than Dair, even though Dair is the most attempted. There's Fair/Ftilt, Bair spike, footstool > zair double jump cancel, hitting someones shield off the edge of a platform, reverse magnet pull hit, etc. Not everybody techs (some of the things I said weren't techable). It's not because they can't, but they just don't. Everybody thinks about teching immediately after the last hit of dair connects (assuming they haven't SDI'd out of it) because that's what most people think about as far as Lucas and Dtilt locks go. But if Lucas Fairs them, they're a whole lot less likely to consider a Dtilt lock followup than if Lucas were to use Dair.

Of course it doesn't always work, but Lucas gets a decent amount of opportunities to do things like this. If Lucas knows how to capitalize on things and know his options based on what his opponent does, it'll be a lot easier to pull things off like Dtilt locks.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh, the dtilt lock is amazing. I absolutely HATE it when I get stuck in one, it just seems a little situational to me. *shrug*

But then, I've never played an serious matches with a good Lucas player so iunno.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
I put my jump to L and specials to Z... Using L to jump makes it extremely easy to jump and use the c-stick at the same time. I would recommend my setup to anyone that doesn't already use the L button to roll/shield/spot dodge
you have one of the weirdest set up bro. I tried it the other day and the only thing I learn was zap jumping. But yea, I'll stick with B-stick but I'll try this setting again for further research.

as for the d-tilt lock. I would consider it as a "last stock kill" Along with my "I am going to u-smash out of your spot doge." Last Stock Kill: Once you use a move to win a match, your opponent will be aware of it. And the d-tilt lock can be apply when an opponent decide to go for agro attack. Such as dash attack. But that how I usually see things. but when I am not d-tilt lock, I d-tilt in front of them, witch they will eventually trip, to f-smash to their face. Ah yes, fun time.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
you have one of the weirdest set up bro. I tried it the other day and the only thing I learn was zap jumping. But yea, I'll stick with B-stick but I'll try this setting again for further research.

as for the d-tilt lock. I would consider it as a "last stock kill" Along with my "I am going to u-smash out of your spot doge." Last Stock Kill: Once you use a move to win a match, your opponent will be aware of it. And the d-tilt lock can be apply when an opponent decide to go for agro attack. Such as dash attack. But that how I usually see things. but when I am not d-tilt lock, I d-tilt in front of them, witch they will eventually trip, to f-smash to their face. Ah yes, fun time.
I also use X to grab, which makes my setup even weirder. Other useful things with this setup include very easy lagless FH pikafires (wavebounced and what-not). Also, dair camping became infinitely easier when I started using it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've never found how to keep a Dtilt properly going on my lucas. It seems whenever I walk up to them they have the time to get up. I'm just not used to it. :-/

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Timing is different for each character, and moving forward at the right pace and dtilting at the right time is hard. I have trouble with it, too.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
rPSI, using dtilt in situations other than the lock is great. Like someone mentioned before, the jab 1 > dtilt > fsmash is nice. I understand that u said it doesn't always trip, and you're right. However, if u jab once and follow it up with a dtilt it can push them just out of their grab range. So pretend the are shielding, you jab their shield, then dtilt, it pushes them back, they go to shield grab u but they are pushed too far back, and then u hit the fsmash.

Another good situation to use dtilt is when an opponent is running at you. Use dtilt to stop their movement then follow up.

@ Esotera... I've used almost that identical setup for like 3 years now and I love it! L to jump, Z to special, Y to grab, tap jump off, C-stick for smashes. C-bouncing ftw!

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
rPSI, using dtilt in situations other than the lock is great. Like someone mentioned before, the jab 1 > dtilt > fsmash is nice. I understand that u said it doesn't always trip, and you're right. However, if u jab once and follow it up with a dtilt it can push them just out of their grab range. So pretend the are shielding, you jab their shield, then dtilt, it pushes them back, they go to shield grab u but they are pushed too far back, and then u hit the fsmash.

Another good situation to use dtilt is when an opponent is running at you. Use dtilt to stop their movement then follow up.

@ Esotera... I've used almost that identical setup for like 3 years now and I love it! L to jump, Z to special, Y to grab, tap jump off, C-stick for smashes. C-bouncing ftw!
Sweet. People always comment on my weird *** controls when I setup for tournies/friendlies. Glad to know there's a high class Lucas using my setup :)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Okay, I admit, D-tilt does have some uses. (especially at the ledge lolol, Kooz will attest that for me) I'm just sayin' D-tilt's situational. Like maybe if the person you're fighting is used to DIing out of the jab combo it'll put em in d-tilt tip range, but you gotta condition for that and if they don't it's just a waste cause you'll be getting only like 9 damage if they're holding shield.
D-tilt on shield is a good pressure option though. Perphaps N-air>D-tilt>D-tilt Poke if you can space it so you get the tip to poke. But generally it's not going to be a fairly used move in the match. Most times when you initiate the lock you won't have d-tilt stale.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I'v had the before >_>
BTW I took your suggestion I turned specials into Z, the zap jump works so well, took some to getting used to R as a grab =P
X grab is where it's at man, trust me :). Another option is to set R to shield and just grab with R+A

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Default controls are where it's at.

On another note, anyone else here a fan of The Dandy Warhols?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Dtilt is good for mindgames, such as cancelling the last jab with a dtilt then jabbing again.
i very often Dtilt>Dtilt>Jab>Jab>Dtilt>Jab>Jab>Jab. catches people off guard that just give up when they get kicked because they wait for the knockback, or it baits people to let go of their shield. Dtilt can be used to bait attacks as well to punish with a shield-grab.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
What kind of attacks are you baiting with d-tilt? Anyone that actually knows it gives them a positive frame advantage will take advantage of that and then you're punished.

@Kooz
A really good indy alt-rock band.
Most noted for their single Bohemian Like You. I'm not going to link because the music video has nudity in it, but look it up.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Ok, where is everyone at? Am I the only Lucas main in the dirty south?

:phone:
I Live in Orlando..so...nope? And Galeon too but he haven't been in any tourney for a good year now. Nick Riddle told me that he quit, with I think it's lame :/. But I am sure Galeon has his reasons.

Meanwhile, feel free to critique my lucas

me vs Kuro (Yes, I was stupid enough to take pit to norfair and I should have stayed lucas too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI2RiVXKpeg&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=3&feature=plcp

and this one is me vs Ed (Ed had a bad case of "Can't dacus")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1Qow68mvA&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=5&feature=plcp

and Exdeath, when your not busy...plz change the name from Action to Strawhat? As Action is my melee tag.

anyways, enjoy.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Damn, a lot of Australians haha. I'm going to be in LA this summer if anyone is out there, too. Any OoS plans for anyone? WHOBO?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Yay melbourne :D BC25 do you come down for couch warriors at all?
Maybe next year, I'm only 17 but I want to come to Vic for a brawl tourney.

Aussie Lucas.

There's some cool smashers in Australia, though.
We are so bad if you brawled us offline it would be like having a real fight with a 2 year old.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
im 16 lol, 17 in june :D

and lucas is good in low tier so i can play him in low-tier tourneys

and Australia is not very good lol, mostly because the ssbb scene is very small

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
im 16 lol, 17 in june :D

and lucas is good in low tier so i can play him in low-tier tourneys

and Australia is not very good lol, mostly because the ssbb scene is very small
Its grownish imo.
but needs more earthbound mains lol oh and Lucario.

But I plan to abuse the scene being small then becoming the best Lucario and Lucas in aus while there's a chance :D
Spam rolling has stop so I hope there's a chance now >_>

Come at me MTGod, Luco and jamwa lol :p

Oh wow a fellow Lucas main that is my age :o
all AUS lucas mains are so young, MTgod is like the odd ball out being the old fart and rusted Lucas lol

while us 3 are not even 18 :o

Top Bottom