• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
WHATEVER THE BALLS I WANNA DO KRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS
i don't have to worry about it my lucas is too pro to ever use shield
never back down
never surrender

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
If it's a powershield it depends on where the opponent is after their attack. If they're like right in front of me I autojab. If they're slightly above me I nair/dair. If they're a little bit in front of me I Ftilt. If they're above and behind me, I might go for a SH Uair. If not, I'll just walk away. I usually don't take chances with things that could get me punished for trying to punish something of theirs

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
So, I played a camping mother freaking pit today at a tourney...whom desicide to win via time out. So the question is, mekos, what would you do in that situation.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Oh my god it's been like forever since I last posted here XD Been busy with school and stuff... Can't promise I'll post like I used to =P

I feel like an idiot for just realizing how OoS attacks work now XP I thought you had to drop it then attack but then I realized you could Up-B/U-Smash without dropping the shield XD

...Uh yeah, I know Ness is my true main now, but I still love Lucas <3

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Gov - Thanks man. Woah it was the hardest tourney yet! Chudat and Boss both used teamwork which is rare. I think those matches are the best dubs matches in the US foreal. Like it rare in the US to see both teams using teamwork. One mistake and someone wsa usually there for a followup or punish. It was so intense!! But I loved it. I love dubs and competition. So I got that and am very happy!

@Strawhat - U have to realize brawl singles is very very lame and that is what it bottles down to alot of times. So u have to have strong mental power to sometimes do yer best to get the lead at the beginning of the game and then camp the rest. Like what he did to u.

But since u got caught in that situation u have to do yer best to learn his habits/read him. ALot of them will shoot there arrows in certain situations. Absorb them!! Also, when fighting them do yer best to get inside and bait and punish constantly. Smash is not about constantly attacking. Once yer in and pressure them, whether u hit them or their shield bait what they will do next. Don't try to follow up. There are not combos in brawl singles, that is doubles. IN singles after u pressure them wait to see what they will do. U can wait by hiding in shield or spacing/moving around.

Sorry to be confusing. But this is an example of a bait and punish. After I nair a mk, I sheild and most of them try to get revenge by dairing. After I block that I then dair. That nair to bait to punish with dair is heavy damage. Figure out situations like that for each character.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
@Strawhat - U have to realize brawl singles is very very lame and that is what it bottles down to alot of times. So u have to have strong mental power to sometimes do yer best to get the lead at the beginning of the game and then camp the rest. Like what he did to u.

But since u got caught in that situation u have to do yer best to learn his habits/read him. ALot of them will shoot there arrows in certain situations. Absorb them!! Also, when fighting them do yer best to get inside and bait and punish constantly. Smash is not about constantly attacking. Once yer in and pressure them, whether u hit them or their shield bait what they will do next. Don't try to follow up. There are not combos in brawl singles, that is doubles. IN singles after u pressure them wait to see what they will do. U can wait by hiding in shield or spacing/moving around.

Sorry to be confusing. But this is an example of a bait and punish. After I nair a mk, I sheild and most of them try to get revenge by dairing. After I block that I then dair. That nair to bait to punish with dair is heavy damage. Figure out situations like that for each character.
Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Setting Cstick to Specials is the easiest, just jump + left/right on the control stick. You can Cbounce it too if you want to keep your Cstick (which is a lot better), or you can just switch around your controls until you find a comfortable way. But yeah Cstick to Specials is the easiest.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
It took me about... a month or so to get the c-bouncing down after b-sticking for a few months. It was totally worth it.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
IMO, I prefer to set Specials to the L button since I don't have to give up aerials with my C-Stick (find it too awkward to use aerials without the C-Stick lol) and I'll never use the L Button to shield :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That Diddy rolls more than any other one I've seen haha. But good ****!
I used to roll heaps. You should have seen the tourny video I had. Look up Luco vs. Invisi at one point if you're at all interested. :p

And mekos, those were awesome backgrounds! Tbh I found it hard to concentrate on the match with the background so colourful and trying to figure out where the music was from. I knew the first one was from SPM, but the other two I couldn't figure out. :p

But the matches themselves were great! Wish I could do some of that stuff. Tbh I haven't touched brawl in a couple months, I'm gonna get back to that. ^^

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Setting Cstick to Specials is the easiest, just jump + left/right on the control stick. You can Cbounce it too if you want to keep your Cstick (which is a lot better), or you can just switch around your controls until you find a comfortable way. But yeah Cstick to Specials is the easiest.
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
took me a day to get it down. Now I need to change my mindset as I am used to use it for smashes and arias. I still need to work on my zap jump though.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I put my jump to L and specials to Z... Using L to jump makes it extremely easy to jump and use the c-stick at the same time. I would recommend my setup to anyone that doesn't already use the L button to roll/shield/spot dodge

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
ohay. I don't play competitively, but I main Lucas. So I'ma just drop this comment off: hey there.

Also, I don't technically own this game (I play on a friend's Wii, who used to be power ranked in Northern California), but I'm probably gonna try getting videos of myself soon just to see if I can get any help out of this community, 'cause... that's why I joined.

So yeah, I might post things here eventually, but maybe I'll just not do that and disappear. Here's hoping for the former.

/obligatory post.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I thought more people used my setup... L basically replaces tap jump. Good for OoS maneuvers, too. All you have to do is press L then your next action OoS.

Edit: I just wrote a huge write up on the G&W match up... Go look in the thread and tell me what y'all think.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The G&W match-up has always been tough for me, but i think that's because my brother often uses him as an alternative to lucas and my brother knows my mind well enough to play some really annoying mind games with me. But it's ok, because I know his mind as well and I can play worse mind games with him (weeeeeeee!)

Also, an interesting thing to note is that G&W's puff of air thing that keeps you afloat has it's own hurtboxes. If you're in doubles with G&W as your partner and he blows you up, if you PK fire it'll burst immediately, perhaps hurting any close enemies in the air next to you if you're lucky. ^.^

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Look for a time you can F-air or U-air someone's shield on a platform to push 'em off. Certain fastfallers are forced into a missed tech and you can take advantage of that with a d-tilt lock.
Look for general bad DI on certain things like f-tilt or f-air. If they DI badly you can get a missed tech and punish it. (needs to around 30-40 percent for that to work)
Be aware that you need them to be 60ish before d-tilt will start to lock. If you catch a missed tech below 60, use f-tilt angled down to lock em.
If you feel special, don't forget that b-air can spike and get 'em into a missed tech position.
Work on getting the "land > turn-around > d-tilt" in time so you can catch people that DI behind you for things like b-air or d-air.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Speaking of dtilt lock where is that thread that has a list of the persentages of all characters that tells you when you can down tilt them?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I don't think we have one.
*note to self: test percents of fresh (cause who starts the lock with a stale d-tilt?) d-tilt forced get-up*

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That's d-air though. I thought he was talking about when does d-tilt start causing forced get-up. If you catch a missed tech at low percents with d-tilt it doesn't force get-up.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That ****'s old. He's trying for the jab>d-tilt trip which rarely works cause a, you have to tip the d-tilt in order to get it to work and getting the precise knockback on jab 1 to hit into it is hard, and b, you only have a 40% trip rate on d-tilt tip. It's generally just a bad idea cause it doesn't really get you anywhere.

Top Bottom