• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

Chuee

Smash Hero

Since our omelet chatroom is pretty much dead and all the other character boards have one of these, I thought the lucas boards could use a general discussion thread to help make it more active.

Anyways, the title is self explanatory. Just don't troll or spam, please. We try not to feed you so yeah.

So lets get started.

Discuss

:094:

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
Lucas should be at least a little bit higher, I mean, he can be such a versatile character at a high level.

So yeah... Hay Guys!! (first post in the Lucas boards as a new Lucas main :D)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I hate the Lakers and everything they stand for.

):<

Oh, uh... Lucas. :094: He doesn't deserve bottom of anything, if I do say so myself.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Lucas boards JtM
Yea Lucas is definitely mid tier material
Does he **** in low tier tournies??
Ive never heard or seen any results
for a low tier tourny before lol

:094: is back:)

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Well, the people, that are actually good with Lucas, haven't really entered any low tier tournaments. Also, Lucas doesn't exactly **** any low tier character, besides Ganon. Yoshi and Ness have a small advantage on Lucas, and pretty much every other low tier character goes even with Lucas.

Lucas just does better against some of the higher tiered characters, because he is a pretty safe character.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
why don't we use the weekly character discussion?
and yeah, that's funny, sometimes i feel Lucas is better vs high tier characters than the low ones, but i think it is just matter of exp in the matchup (like, nobody uses Ganon, so it's easier for them to surprise me)

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
APC are you talking about the SBR Lucas discussion or the Lucas matchup discussion?

the SBR Lucas discussion sucked, and the match up discussion is really just theory

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
If Lucas' got a generally even matchup with the entire bottom tier, why is he at the top of it?
And hello, nice board you've got around here guys. :D

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
If Lucas' got a generally even matchup with the entire bottom tier, why is he at the top of it?
And hello, nice board you've got around here guys. :D
He has better matchups, with higher tiered characters, than the rest of the lower tiers.

It doesn't matter if Lucas can beat ganondorf and Link, because they are unimportant, and less likely to be encountered than MK and Snake.

What matters is that he is able to deal with characters like DDD, Diddy, and falco pretty well. Most other low tiers get wrecked by high tiers.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
Yay a lucas discussion board that has discussion in it =D.
I think Lucas should at least be mid tier because of all the tricks he has, as well as his match ups are not all terrible. There are ways to deal with marth, G&W and DK, and everyone else is essentially almost 50 50 or an advantage a little over. But Lucas has some good spacing tools and some fast KO moves, so if you know how to play against your match up then it can be pretty even. And I agree that Lucas can deal with characters like DDD, Diddy, and Falco. There is a video of Galeon fighting a Falco with lucas and he won the set, so I don't think Lucas deserves such a low rating, He may be at the top of his list but he fares well against the ones above him.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Even this thread is dead?

F***. The Lucas boards sadden me. :(

anywhoo, I have two tournaments next week. I hope I do well. I'm trying to beat MMBN2, because I never beat it lol.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
It's not even lately. We had a boom back in like decenmber for a month or two. Afterr that, everything died again. Idk why, but it did. Coming here drags me down nowadays, because it's literally dead. Our board probably averages 5-10 posts per day. Nobody likes coming here.

I don't like complaining, and being part of the problem, but this place sucks. I'll spend most of my time in the backroom.

Did anyone know Uair could kill horizontally?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Some people DI it to the side in front of Lucas, because they just know to DI left or right, when hit upwards, but they do not know the actual trajectory of the move. Apparently, DI'ing towards Lucas makes the move kill vertically earlier.

Edit: when did DI become a verb?

Neon Ness

There was a "boom" in the winter because we started the legendary Omelette thread and all of that, and all the Sonic mains were here often and stuff, and things were just more lighthearted. One day the moderators decided to close all General Chat Threads, though, and this place died. Things just never got running again.

Those were the brightest days of the Lucas community... as long as I've been here, anyway.

Neon Ness

I know I did. The people I played would eat up smashes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

But alas, Lucas gets hard countered by the Z Button.

Oh well. He's still good in my books.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I saw a provocative thread, and it made me think- how many of Lucas' moves are useless?

I think NONE. I feel every move in his arsenal has some purpose to his meta-game, barring his (not to grab a ledge) Zair.

any other opinions?

Irsic

Smash Ace
bair is pretty underused, it's uses are strange and implications of the move on stage are strange, generally making you think "any other move could have been used on-stage in place of bair on stage I just did" Though I have found it useful and very unsuspecting at times..

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
I like to use bair on stage some times cuz it could be suprising and it has pretty good range. I just use it in place of fair sometimes, or if i'm already facing the other way. I dont think he really has any useless moves. My only thought would be pk freeze (which is mainly used to force air dodges and what not).

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I like bair, it always seems to work as a good trick on my opponents. I think every move Lucas has, has benefited me in one way or another, He is just an awesome character in my eyes =). Unique and fun.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
Oh and I wasn't here in high times of the Lucas board, but regardless when I came upon, I was so happy just to see there were others who played Lucas! At least there is a dedicated few you know? And I do have a feel of community because everyone here is very thoughtful and friendly. Woot.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
And speaking of using pk freeze to forces air dodges, how do you guys follow up/ punish the air dodge? It always seems like there is too much lag and not enough time for me to really do anything... It just kinda gets them lower. And i guess if they air dodge again when i go to attack them after using pk freeze, some characters might be too low to recover. But what other things can you do after using pk freeze.

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
After PK Freeze I rush the edge to keep the pressure on.

On an off-note, I am going to a tourney this Saturday and have been practicing alot! Wish me luck!!!

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
And speaking of using pk freeze to forces air dodges, how do you guys follow up/ punish the air dodge? It always seems like there is too much lag and not enough time for me to really do anything... It just kinda gets them lower. And i guess if they air dodge again when i go to attack them after using pk freeze, some characters might be too low to recover. But what other things can you do after using pk freeze.
It's very character specific. I find PK freeze works well on DDD. It forces a low recovery for an easy Fsmash out of his Up b.

Snake is forced to airdodge or take the hit when he's offstage.
It makes MK [and others] waste jumps, which is always a plus.

it doesn't matter for some chars, such as Fox and Mario. Stupid reflectors.

Wario and Yoshi just go right by it. I... kinda want to make a PK freeze guide.

Chuee

Smash Hero
The only moves I can think of that are useless or almost useless are Zair onstage, dash attack, and uthrow.

Top Bottom