• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Mekos, go win all the low tier tournaments until you over centralize the metagame and prove lucas is banworthy (from low tier) imo

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Mekos, go win all the low tier tournaments until you over centralize the metagame and prove lucas is banworthy (from low tier) imo
dude it is not about smashing on fellow low tiers lol. I don't need to do that. I smash on some of those mid tiers as well. luigi and Ike are one of them. I have a vid coming soon of me 3 stocking a top level luigi. Just wait.

No way luigi for example, should be mid tier while lucas is low tier. Keeping it simple, If both entered a tourney in theory lucas should do better. Yet the tier list shows other wise and so does the MU chart. That MU chart is so wrong.

And besides no one runs low tier tourneys anymore. I have never even entered a low tier tourney. People seem to like mid tier tourneys better. I have entered those and do really well. Always top 3.

PSI Nexus

Smash Cadet
Come on, guys. They don't hate Lucas. They hate Low Tiers. B

ut that's beside the point - keep Lucas in Low Tier and kill on their tourneys. Lucas can participate in pretty much every time of tourney. :)

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Lucas is low tier on the tier list. Honestly, I'm used to certain things being slept on in this community. Obviously his placing doesn't affect how you play, so I don't really see why there's a complaint. I mean unless there's Lucas mains placing moderately high in regionals/nationals I don't see why he should be protested for higher. It's not like we have a bunch of Lucas mains. A lot are inactive, and a lot are still relatively new to the tourney scene. As a result, it's understandable that people won't think much of Lucas in terms of viability when so few people play him and consistently place decently. Plus, Lucas not moving up at all gives two advantages:

1.) He can still participate in LT tourneys.
2.) People will still underestimate him, and Lucas is such an uncommon matchup that a lot of people don't have practice in it. If you're actually good with Lucas and know his in's and out's, you should be able to do fairly well in the tourney scene.

In my opinion, Lucas isn't as bad a character as low tier. But then again, I don't really care about the tier list. I just care about my performance, and that I play at a level high enough to match or exceed that of my opponents. Regardless of tier placements.

Naridax

Smash Journeyman
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) / Virginia Beach, VA
Obviously his placing doesn't affect how you play, so I don't really see why there's a complaint.
This is my biggest problem. Why the hell does it matter that he's low? It doesn't contribute to your game whatsoever.

Recognition in the Smash community? Why care at all, in the first place?

Hooray for Mekos and Esam getting first in that Doubles tournet (along with Chu and Boss), but keeping Lucas in LT actually means something tangible - LTT's.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The tier list doesn't matter in all honesty. It changes virtually nothing. It's simply what a whole bunch of people who are good at this game want to rate characters in terms of how good they are. There is going to be error, especially when there is so little data for mid tier and low tier characters. Who cares if Lucas is low or mid? What's that do for how we place in tournaments? Nothing.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
dude it is not about smashing on fellow low tiers lol. I don't need to do that. I smash on some of those mid tiers as well. luigi and Ike are one of them. I have a vid coming soon of me 3 stocking a top level luigi. Just wait.

No way luigi for example, should be mid tier while lucas is low tier. Keeping it simple, If both entered a tourney in theory lucas should do better. Yet the tier list shows other wise and so does the MU chart. That MU chart is so wrong.

And besides no one runs low tier tourneys anymore. I have never even entered a low tier tourney. People seem to like mid tier tourneys better. I have entered those and do really well. Always top 3.
I just think the other character mains in low tier should suck it up and stop being bad at the matchups so everyone can be low tier.

Maybe Lucas really should be low tier, but so should a whole lot of characters that are placed in mid tier and are wrongfully banned from low tier tournaments because people are bad and don't man up and learn MUs.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
how much range does it have?
and what dumb opponent lets Luigi get in close...
My man!! Exactly. These theory kids are too much. Never lost to a luigi in my life. And I have a video of me three stocking a high level luigi in tourney coming soon. It's so easy to read what a luigi is trying to do. If u die at the low of% that is your own fault.

huh mada mada.

@Fae - I disagree but understand yer point. I'm not just worried about myself and my own performance. WE are the community of smash and create it's legacy. It needs to go down in history that lucas is not a trash character. It's not about placing high at regionals and nationals it's about having the rightful recognition. This game is gonna be dead as soon as the new one comes out. And it would be a shame for lucas to be known as a trash character. And low tiers are trash characters in games. Mid tiers aren't dominating at regionals and nationals either buddy. It's not like the ones with me are saying lucas should be high tier. Lucas belongs in low mid tier.

And just to let u know as far as I know midtier tourneys are whats in. Not low tier tourneys.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Mid tiers aren't dominating at regionals and nationals either buddy. It's not like the ones with me are saying lucas should be high tier. Lucas belongs in low mid tier.
I'm not saying that we should be placing high'ish because he's low tier. I'm saying we need a way to show people that Lucas isn't as bad as low. If Lucas just stays near the middle or bottom of tourney rankings, people won't pay him much mind. I mean even placing high in locals will buy him some kind of recognition. But people rarely ever pay attention to low/mid-low tier characters in tournament results unless they make some notable placement.

For example, if a Lucas made it to brackets at Apex, he'd cause a lot of talk because that's not really something that people would expect to see. This would lead to players following that player more/looking into the character more. A few tier lists ago, there were a bunch of Sonics popping up that were making notable upsets (__X__, Espy, etc.) and Sonic was actually noted as not a bad character. Then Meek's consistently placing pretty well in his region, thus showing that the tier jump decision holds water.

The low mid tier characters have a few players that represent them really well.
PT: Reflex is pretty much all people need to see to know that PT isn't that bad of a character.
Ness: FOW Got 1st at the E4U with mostly Ness, and his Ness still places really well at most of the tournaments that he attends and uses him at.
Shaky Placed in top 10 at one of the MLG's.
ViceGrip
Check the Ness results thread if it's still up, there's really good tourney placings by multiple Ness mains there.
Yoshi: Poltergust, DeltaCod, HadesBlade
Sheik: Judo, Tutu, Scary
Ike: San (Placed really high in one of the MLG's, and consistently places high in his region)
Ryo (Also consistently places high in his region).
Luigi dropped really low due to low rep and not much notable placements as of current.

Now ours: Mekos, Pink Fresh (doesn't play anymore), Galeon (doesn't play anymore), Ninjalink (I don't think he plays anymore?) Nasty (I think he just recently came back), FAE

I'm only average in Singles but a ton better in Doubles, and you're mostly known for your Doubles record even though you place decently in most Singles. I mean if there were a Doubles tier list then Lucas would be high-mid/low-high. But this is Singles and we don't have that one Lucas main that just stands out and consistently makes upsets/places where he wouldn't be expected to. It's a lot easier to influence people to change their minds about a character earlier on in the process of developing a metagame, but it's like 4 years later and Lucas' placings have just been so stagnant that it's hard to persuade people that he's any better than what they think he is. We have to give them consistently legitimate evidence.

Also, when I said placing moderately high in regionals, moderately high refers to placing high enough where people would be shocked to see him at. That would be a nice start, at least. I didn't say dominating, because that's not what I meant. When San placed high at the MLG, that's what I'd refer to as dominating. Shaky placed really high as well. Moderately high just means that he'll stand out in the results thread.

Again, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm just giving my opinion on what's going on from an observant viewpoint.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that we should be placing high'ish because he's low tier. I'm saying we need a way to show people that Lucas isn't as bad as low. If Lucas just stays near the middle or bottom of tourney rankings, people won't pay him much mind. I mean even placing high in locals will buy him some kind of recognition. But people rarely ever pay attention to low/mid-low tier characters in tournament results unless they make some notable placement.

For example, if a Lucas made it to brackets at Apex, he'd cause a lot of talk because that's not really something that people would expect to see. This would lead to players following that player more/looking into the character more. A few tier lists ago, there were a bunch of Sonics popping up that were making notable upsets (__X__, Espy, etc.) and Sonic was actually noted as not a bad character. Then Meek's consistently placing pretty well in his region, thus showing that the tier jump decision holds water.

The low mid tier characters have a few players that represent them really well.
PT: Reflex is pretty much all people need to see to know that PT isn't that bad of a character.
Ness: FOW Got 1st at the E4U with mostly Ness, and his Ness still places really well at most of the tournaments that he attends and uses him at.
Shaky Placed in top 10 at one of the MLG's.
ViceGrip
Check the Ness results thread if it's still up, there's really good tourney placings by multiple Ness mains there.
Yoshi: Poltergust, DeltaCod, HadesBlade
Sheik: Judo, Tutu, Scary
Ike: San (Placed really high in one of the MLG's, and consistently places high in his region)
Ryo (Also consistently places high in his region).
Luigi dropped really low due to low rep and not much notable placements as of current.

Now ours: Mekos, Pink Fresh (doesn't play anymore), Galeon (doesn't play anymore), Ninjalink (I don't think he plays anymore?) Nasty (I think he just recently came back), FAE

I'm only average in Singles but a ton better in Doubles, and you're mostly known for your Doubles record even though you place decently in most Singles. I mean if there were a Doubles tier list then Lucas would be high-mid/low-high. But this is Singles and we don't have that one Lucas main that just stands out and consistently makes upsets/places where he wouldn't be expected to. It's a lot easier to influence people to change their minds about a character earlier on in the process of developing a metagame, but it's like 4 years later and Lucas' placings have just been so stagnant that it's hard to persuade people that he's any better than what they think he is. We have to give them consistently legitimate evidence.

Also, when I said placing moderately high in regionals, moderately high refers to placing high enough where people would be shocked to see him at. That would be a nice start, at least. I didn't say dominating, because that's not what I meant. When San placed high at the MLG, that's what I'd refer to as dominating. Shaky placed really high as well. Moderately high just means that he'll stand out in the results thread.

Again, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm just giving my opinion on what's going on from an observant viewpoint.

Zelda: Fuujin

Haaaaay:colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah, no reason to worry over the tier list really.
Lucas is bad whether he's low tier of low mid tier. Doesn't make a difference.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea I hope so too. Unfortunately when u ONLY play a character like Lucas it takes a bit of luck. And guys let me tell u I have had the worst luck. I wish I had Pink Fresh's second pool at apex for example. His matchups he had I am alot better at than what I get at every national unfortunately.

I always get Polt and a top snake. So tuff. I'm also get mentally crushed because of my doubles placing. I'm a doubles player and want to win dubs and get down emotional when I don't. Singles is my side event haha.

In the past before anyone knew of my dubs skills, I would have to team with wifi people who would just get dominated. I think things are turning around now for my ability to get good partners. But it is still tuff. Now that I have semi-static teams I know I can win a national (Esam and m2k are my semi-static teams). After I win a national I will be so emotionally high that I will play perfect singles. And then I will make it into bracket hahaha.

@Fae - I get what yer saying but I just joined the tourney scene in 2010 and haven't had alot of chances to prove lucas skills. Like I'm very confident in the fox and falco matchup for example. But never got a chance to play a top one in tourney. I weirdly always play the same people. Also in your Fow example, u said he went MOSTLY Ness which is true. But those small times of using mk are a big difference. If I used mk to beat my yoshi and snake problem I would have made it into bracket by now...twice haha. He uses mk to beat the snakes and marths over there. That is huge. So u see the data that people are so obsessed with can be flawed when all u do is look at tourney results.

Now with that said I agree with u. My main point tho was that it is our job to prove Lucas worth basically. Lets do it! Together!

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
@Fae - I get what yer saying but I just joined the tourney scene in 2010 and haven't had alot of chances to prove lucas skills. Like I'm very confident in the fox and falco matchup for example. But never got a chance to play a top one in tourney. I weirdly always play the same people. Also in your Fow example, u said he went MOSTLY Ness which is true. But those small times of using mk are a big difference. If I used mk to beat my yoshi and snake problem I would have made it into bracket by now...twice haha. He uses mk to beat the snakes and marths over there. That is huge. So u see the data that people are so obsessed with can be flawed when all u do is look at tourney results.

Now with that said I agree with u. My main point tho was that it is our job to prove Lucas worth basically. Lets do it! Together!
Vs Tyrant (3-1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNEoHvxe_c

Vs Tearbear (2-0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QmlmctBaBA&feature=relmfu

Vs MrConCon (2-1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=y06yMwbWj6o

Vs Larry (2-0) (MM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6hVVG3hPS8&feature=related

And then this single match against Larry in a MM (Idk if it was a set or just this match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OdTVmbmhdM&feature=related

All of those matches were with Ness, even though like you said he went MK on really hard counters. I'm just saying that if we could pull as notable wins as this we would gain a lot more recognition. He has a lot more good wins with Ness, but these were just from one tourney. Lucas would kill for that kind of record.

But yeah let's just stop talking and do it; I've always believed that actions speak louder than words which is why I never bother arguing for Lucas to be higher. I just try to show people somehow and over time it's going to happen. Again unfortunately, it is still really hard to vouch for Lucas when so few (so very few) people use him and are able to compete at high levels at that.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
lol dude u did not need to do that. I specifically told u who he used mk for. Snake and Marth. And u went and posted vids of other characters.

And that is my point if u read my earlier post. I haven't got the chance to play a huge variety of top level players. I'm very confident in all of those matchups u just posted. I have a vid coming up soon of me 3 stocking a top level luigi in tourney. I don't know if u follow my tourney results but u will see I beat those characters(and would love to play the best of them)

U missed my point. It was simply if people only look at results they sometimes forget people go other characters for certain matchups. That doesn't mean I'm taking away their other wins. I simply saying I don't do that. Cuz a main argument is that the placings at nationals for lucas aren't great. Implying that placings are what is most important. When really it should be character vs character data. And after saying that if u look at my record the MU chart is def. wrong. But then they call me an outlier. And that goes to yer last statement. But we have stopped talking in that thread. Time to show by actions right. Sorry if u didn't get that but I said I agreed with u and it's time to prove it. I didn't mean by posting on the boards haha.

@Player-1 - haha it just happens at nationals man.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
Character versus character data only says anything about tournament viability and tier list placing if the characters are already really good. A good match against Ganon says little while a good match on MK or Marth or Snake or Falco or Olimar (et cetera) mean a lot more, because you see a lot more of those characters. Placings mean a lot because that's a representation of how your character fares versus those ones.

It's kind of a moot point to say "placings don't matter, only match ups," because match ups play a huge factor in placings.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
lol dude u did not need to do that. I specifically told u who he used mk for. Snake and Marth. And u went and posted vids of other characters.

And that is my point if u read my earlier post. I haven't got the chance to play a huge variety of top level players. I'm very confident in all of those matchups u just posted. I have a vid coming up soon of me 3 stocking a top level luigi in tourney. I don't know if u follow my tourney results but u will see I beat those characters(and would love to play the best of them)

U missed my point. It was simply if people only look at results they sometimes forget people go other characters for certain matchups. That doesn't mean I'm taking away their other wins. I simply saying I don't do that. Cuz a main argument is that the placings at nationals for lucas aren't great. Implying that placings are what is most important. When really it should be character vs character data. And after saying that if u look at my record the MU chart is def. wrong. But then they call me an outlier. And that goes to yer last statement. But we have stopped talking in that thread. Time to show by actions right. Sorry if u didn't get that but I said I agreed with u and it's time to prove it. I didn't mean by posting on the boards haha.

@Player-1 - haha it just happens at nationals man.
I know what you're saying, since my friend plays a vgood snake and D3 (just AWESOME MU's for Lucas and Ness) ive decided to pick up olimar because its just too hard sometimes.

I also find that the ness vs mk matchup isn't as bad as snake, marth or D3.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I prefer playing MK as Lucas, because of the PK fire spacing, but I will always use Lucario anyways when I play MK.
oh i do too, since the magnet pull, zap jump and extended PKT2 range stops gimps
i was just saying in reference to FOW's preferred mu's

Top Bottom