• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Thanks man.
Here is a match against a top rob who knows the matchup well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVq5wLStlQ

1. Most robs after they gyro will immediately laser. Have good spacing so that you can heal from this.

2. Don't try to kill Rob early by going off the stage. Just stay on the stage and try to hit him with pk fire or pk thunder. Watch out for his gyro and lasers. Sometimes act like u will attack(bait) and instead heal from his laser.

3. Learn how to attack him with dair without getting punished. Learn the spacing for it.

4. The worst part about this matchup is trying to recover after they have knocked us off the stage.
You just have to learn how to read how the Rob is planning to attack you and act accordingly. For example, sometimes I let the gyro hit me and DI the hit to get higher in the air and have a better chance of recovering. Also, make sure u don't waste your jump unnecessarily. Sometimes take a hit and DI with it. Then jump and try to recover.

5. Ban BF against robs. I would rather fight him on FD than on BF. Remember we can absorb his lasers and most people don't like Rob on FD because of his spam potential on that stage.

Hope the vid and the tips helped.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
@Mekos wow you've improved i gotta say, and you seem so comfortable with that match up. that snaking is pretty confusing, but i see what you mean

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Thanks...It would be easier to show you or tell you. The skype session is a good idea. I usually help most people via skype and wifi at the same time. That is the easiest way for me to teach people.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Aight I get what you're sayin now.I had thought you meant out of full hop, not ledgehop or other situations like that. I don't think Lucas can autocancel in time to full hop d-air > f-smash.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Yes... I don't understand why you posted that ragebit though. FH Dair charge Fsmash

brawlman... I see you lurking :p

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Yeah idk this is a really old combo... Idk what the discussion is about. Hell, even I've been doing this one for a long time.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The point that I'm bringing up is that out of Full Hop D-air on a flat surface, you cannot simply FH-Dair, however, it seems that when you edgehop or go up the slopes of YI or such stage, that you can get the autocancel sooner. However, I still keep the statement that on a stage like FD, you cannot FH-Dair>F-smash.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I use it when trying to predict them landing right in front of me. It's a pretty big hitbox, so it will hit at about head level (Lucas' head that is). You can use it for edge guarding, it goes through the stage. It also beats spot dodges, but it's a risky venture.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea I'm really confused. No one said this is a new thing wth? Eso I'm with you. I'm lost. I don't know what he is talking about.

Someone said that lucas has a hard time killing. I just said besides heavy weights I disagree. I then said that lucas also is kinda cool cuz he has a few legit combos. That was just an example. U saying it's been around since the beginning doesn't disprove that...I'm lost with the rest of you guys. This is what I said. Quoted it for u.
Lucas is one of the few characters that kinda has "combos". Dair to fmash, Dair to ftilt, Dair to jab,
nair to up air.

With that said if u can get inside you can kill. Lucas kills most characters fine but struggles against killing heavy weights like DK and DDD.

What's yer skype name?

@Mad Duck - To add on what Eso said. I use it to punish spot dodges as well. Also in teams it is good for team shield pressure

jd00824

Smash Rookie
So I try to practice my spacing, but I sometimes feel like I'm doing to much waiting........then I get impatient and barge in. What do you guys use for approaches?

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
As Lucas you really won't be approaching in many matchups... It's more about mixups withs your movememnt and spacing that will land you moves. Lucas is all about that bait and punish.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
^ Exactly. Develop your own playstyle of acting like you are going to attack, waiting for their response and then punishing accordingly.

The highest level of this i feel is reading your opponent. After you have learned their habits learn how to influence/bait their habit and then punish. When u do this you are controlling the game.

A huge tip is to do whatever necessary to get that % lead at the beginning. After you have that you can play the bait and punish game u want. If u don't have the lead and the other person chooses to stay back the whole time then you will have a difficult time. Still, even if they have the lead bait and punish until time won't let you. Smash is a mental game and not alot of players have the mental power to just sit back the WHOLE time. They may eventually approach you.

jd00824

Smash Rookie
I gotcha.....I guess sometimes I get too caught up trying to pull off some combos. I think Lucas actually has a decent close up game cause of his nair (well, maybe not against MK)

I'm trying to take my Lucas up a notch so all tips are welcome :)

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Nair has really low priority so you have to catch the opponent unawares... Some characters can even grab you straight out of it. His close game is good because all of his moves are fast, like jab and ftilt and nair (probably his one his best close game tools). Getting in is the hard part; he has no range.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Discussions like this I think we'll be able to do well during the skype conversations... Sorry I haven't produced much from that yet but I've been absolutely swamped with finals. This is my 3rd all nighter this week...

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys, finals are over so I'm going to start working on some MU stuff for us.

Give me your skype name if i haven't friended you yet, please.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Nah man sorry.

A tip for that matchup tho. If they are spamming lasers, let them hit you to around 30%. That way they can't chain grab u. And if they do get a grab and down throw, DI vertically not horizontally(so they don't up smash you).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Its grownish imo.
but needs more earthbound mains lol oh and Lucario.

But I plan to abuse the scene being small then becoming the best Lucario and Lucas in aus while there's a chance :D
Spam rolling has stop so I hope there's a chance now >_>

Come at me MTGod, Luco and jamwa lol :p

Oh wow a fellow Lucas main that is my age :o
all AUS lucas mains are so young, MTgod is like the odd ball out being the old fart and rusted Lucas lol

while us 3 are not even 18 :o
Okay then I will! Because being the best lucas is one of my dreams too! *pokemon music plays in the background*

But in any case, we're okay-ish-decent-ish ummmm ok. But The main thing is, we're ok. And that's all you need to know, that we're ok. Because if we weren't ok... Well that just wouldn't be ok.

I know right?

But in all seriousness, quite a few of lucas' flaws in single play are helped in doubles, and he's a really intimidating doubles partner. Ask shaya and the group, but my brother and I came 3rd and almost 2nd with a ditto lucas team ^_^

Even lucas in singles can be scary if used right. I'm not at that stage yet, but i've made a few people here and there gain a new-found fear for PK freeze where they did not have it before...

But with all ^ boasting, i'm atually not that great. Ahh, but i try, and I will keep trying. :-D

BTW, I don't have skype, but I have AIM, so that's pretty nice =)

Top Bottom