• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Imperial Legion, MD/VA crew. Xanadu Tuesdays, Legionary Wednesdays

hot$

Smash Ace
Question! The game is not in front of me atm.. but what is the stage that you guys replaced with using Dracula's Castle (?).. I'm trying to change the music.. but unless i'm dumb I don't see.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Oh man, this break from Smash feels great; I'm connecting more with my friends, johning in general much less often, and have been getting more healthy amounts of sleep. Today, though, before leaving out, I'd tried to buffer locking the front door to my mom's house, and realized how much I miss it. I haven't checked my backpack, yet, but I'm pretty sure that I'd left my controller plugged into your Wii, Brett. I'll probably be over there on Friday to pick it up.

Oh, and does anyone here play Halo 3? It's likely that I'll be getting a 3-month at some point this weekend (with the money I'd gained from selling Xenoblade :troll:), and Reach sucks ***. I haven't touched H3 in months, and may need someone to carry me for a bit ^^

:phone:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'll pretty much play any other FPS. Halo's just too slow and clumsy for me. It's like Xbox's Brawl.

Who's coming over this weekend? I've already got interest from Lafco and Bones for Friday night, so I'm gonna see if we can rustle up some more Melee players for that night at least.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Everything that made the Halo series great was ripped to shreds during the development of Reach. A huge portion of the community will agree with the notion of Reach being an embarrassment.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
So who's coming over tomorrow night? There are quite a few Melee players interested. Oh and Chu wants to know if he can get a ride with you, TH.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
So who's coming over tomorrow night? There are quite a few Melee players interested. Oh and Chu wants to know if he can get a ride with you, TH.

No go on my end. I'm spending Friday and Saturday helping a friend move into his new place. Had this planned out a month in advance so I knew there was no way I was going to be traveling for Smash this week.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Raging Blast 2 received mixed reception -- most of which bashed the "complicated" controls, for a game which "button mashing can consistently win" -- including a 57% from Metacritic; the numerous errors in the game weren't noted at all. That doesn't stop any fans of the DBZ Budokai, Budokai Tenkaichi, and Raging Blast series from placing it close to Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (which, to numerous crowds, is the shining gem of DBZ games), in terms of both fun and playability.

For the record, I'd played Reach on a casual level, from its release date to early 2011 before becoming absolutely bored with and disappointed in it. My opinion(s) on Reach, and for that matter, any game, is not solely based how it stacks up from a competitive perspective. Knowing that Bungie placed a sizable amount of effort into Reach -- taking the community deeply into heart -- was more than enough to keep me interested in following the development of Reach and, more importantly, having faith in the end result. Along the way however, I'd begun to see the faults in Reach, which led to my abandonment and eventually rejection of the game.

There's so much that I can say about this. Unlike most RPG's and Smash, Halo is not something that I will ever d*ck around with and troll about. However, I cannot speak for the ENTIRE Halo community, so a tl;dr and opinionated post such as that would be much better to drop in UB.

Anyway, I'll drop by at the usual time, tomorrow.

Edit: oh, "doesn't change the fact that..." is simply a force of habit. Dunno how I would be able to shove an unreliable notion down the throats of many, let alone until it becomes a fact, considering that I'm in no position to do so.

Bandit

Smash Lord
TayZonday has still not said WHY its a horrible game. That's the part that I keep chuckling about.

It got rave reviews from the halo community for bringing back classic levels, the pistol, and other "classic" halo stuff. The single player was engaging though shorter than I would like for a game to be but it's an FPS and that's what they do. Battlefield: Bad Company still, by far, has the best true FPS single player I've ever played. (Borderlands is not included as it is an FPS RPG).

9Kplus1

Smash Master
TayZonday has still not said WHY its a horrible game. That's the part that I keep chuckling about.
There's so much that I can say about this. Unlike most RPG's and Smash, Halo is not something that I will ever d*ck around with and troll about. However, I cannot speak for the ENTIRE Halo community, so a tl;dr and opinionated post such as that would be much better to drop in UB.
*shrug* but hey, if you insist...

The Halo series, over the years, has grown to be something extraordinary -- something vastly different from the string of the FPS's that have been in fluctuation. As the main trilogy progressed, the community had been rewarded for their resilient loyalty with dynamic, but authoritative changes, which remained adherent to the more significant and, for that matter, memorable parts of the series. These details are much more noticeable in campaign levels. Both of the fights that take place before the appearance of grav lift leading and assent into Truth and Reconciliation; fighting through New Mombasa and eventually disabling the seemingly indestructible Scarab during the events of Halo 2, or more specifically, the level Metropolis; and the Covenant Loyalists' 'last stand' before the Truth's imminent assassination are very good examples of how the Halo series has consistently shown its independence from many other FPS's. To further exemplify how magnificent of a product the main trilogy has been, I'd like to get into the multiplayer aspects of Halo -- maps, work placed into competitive value of, and, more importantly, the effort taken to fix the errors which were prominent, as well as a large detraction from gameplay, at the their respective times.

Each map in the Halo series has its own niche. Whether it's an exclusive aesthetic detail, or unique layout, no map is by any means repetitive. Touching upon the previous topic, the examination of Halo's constantly changing and simply amazing environments, there are many maps which show very good examples of how the Halo series has progressed. Battle Creek, Waterworks, and Valhalla effectively exemplify the Halo trilogy's changing, but ultimately familiar settings. Battle Creek is truly a very well made and beautiful map, considering the time it was made in and the engine on which it had been created. The scenery can quickly change from a heated battlefield to a medium-sized, base in which CQC is essential to be prepared for -- and I'm not even taking the teleporters, which can be tactically used, into account. Moreover, Battle Creek's layout makes it very versatile in terms of gametype capability. The same can be said for Valhalla, which, with the advantage of Forge mode, can be edited to satisfy the desires of any person who takes interest in it. Waterworks is just... stunning and outright fabulous. It's a map with a lot to offer, from the capabilities of the geometry and gametypes, to some of the smaller details, such as (odd) natural sounds and aesthetics. While not the 'perfect' map, Waterworks is another very, very good example of how the 'look' of a map or campaign level can boast similar characteristics to other parts of the Halo series while retaining great playability, through means of multifaceted settings. Reach has none of this. Map remakes aside, while Reach does indeed have "new", previously untouched environments and details, it doesn't 'look' or 'feel' like a Halo game.

Finally -- and I'll just keep this portion as simple as possible -- Reach plays like a clunky, slow FPS. It's debilitating and tedious to even think about playing Reach casually, let alone take it seriously. 343i having to fix Bungie's obviously imbalanced "Reticule Bloom" system only further shows how ridiculous of a game Reach is to play.

It got rave reviews from the halo community for bringing back classic levels, the pistol, and other "classic" halo stuff.
If it's of no trouble, I'd like to break this part of your post down.

First off, we, the community, have been heavily pushing for the revival of maps from previous Halo titles since early Halo 3. Of course, a large portion of Halo fans preferred to have something close a direct port, especially after the disaster which Blackout was. Blood Gulch, being a popular and, to many, fun map, having had made a return (well, kinda) was an answer to the long-lasting and highest hopes of Halo fans. Reach getting positive reception from the community, for that at least, is nothing surprising. The CEA map pack certainly didn't disappoint however, as it was a much needed breath of fresh air from 343i; there was obviously work placed into remaking the maps which, when accompanied by the fact that this particular map pack had not been broken up into separate releases (not directly referring to the Mythic map pack) and remade to very closely resemble their older counterparts, is absolutely great. I hold no disdain towards 343i's efforts in pleasing the fanbase, but "if the same had been done for Halo 3", Halo 3 would receive the exact same praise.

Next: the Pistol has been fluctuating between horrible, useful, and amazing over the years. In Halo:CE, it was one of the best weapons in the game, capable of quickly netting kills while retaining a rather sizable ammo count. Halo 2's version of the Pistol is obviously not as powerful as the its predecessor's, but retains its use as both a sidearm and versatility in dual-wielding. Halo 3's Pistol had been heavily nerfed through multiple means, particularly by the presence of the (overpowered) Battle Rifle; its use is usually delegated to substituting for a mid to close range weapon, if another is not currently present. Finally, Reach's iteration of the Pistol became a much better and balanced weapon, showing its worth as a useful close-range, headshot capable weapon. Relevance, you ask? I'm attempting to state that the Pistol has always been changing. It's had its own use in every main Halo title, as a sidearm. That's exactly what it's intended to be -- a sidearm. I've never once seen any person complain about that Pistol being "tool powerful" or "useless". Reach's Pistol having had gotten positive feedback is nothing different from the responses it's gotten in previous Halo titles.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
*shrug* but hey, if you insist...

The Halo series, over the years, has grown to be something extraordinary -- something vastly different from the string of the FPS's that have been in fluctuation. As the main trilogy progressed, the community had been rewarded for their resilient loyalty with dynamic, but authoritative changes, which remained adherent to the more significant and, for that matter, memorable parts of the series. These details are much more noticeable in campaign levels. Both of the fights that take place before the appearance of grav lift leading and assent into Truth and Reconciliation; fighting through New Mombasa and eventually disabling the seemingly indestructible Scarab during the events of Halo 2, or more specifically, the level Metropolis; and the Covenant Loyalists' 'last stand' before the Truth's imminent assassination are very good examples of how the Halo series has consistently shown its independence from many other FPS's. To further exemplify how magnificent of a product the main trilogy has been, I'd like to get into the multiplayer aspects of Halo -- maps, work placed into competitive value of, and, more importantly, the effort taken to fix the errors which were prominent, as well as a large detraction from gameplay, at the their respective times.

Each map in the Halo series has its own niche. Whether it's an exclusive aesthetic detail, or unique layout, no map is by any means repetitive. Touching upon the previous topic, the examination of Halo's constantly changing and simply amazing environments, there are many maps which show very good examples of how the Halo series has progressed. Battle Creek, Waterworks, and Valhalla effectively exemplify the Halo trilogy's changing, but ultimately familiar settings. Battle Creek is truly a very well made and beautiful map, considering the time it was made in and the engine on which it had been created. The scenery can quickly change from a heated battlefield to a medium-sized, base in which CQC is essential to be prepared for -- and I'm not even taking the teleporters, which can be tactically used, into account. Moreover, Battle Creek's layout makes it very versatile in terms of gametype capability. The same can be said for Valhalla, which, with the advantage of Forge mode, can be edited to satisfy the desires of any person who takes interest in it. Waterworks is just... stunning and outright fabulous. It's a map with a lot to offer, from the capabilities of the geometry and gametypes, to some of the smaller details, such as (odd) natural sounds and aesthetics. While not the 'perfect' map, Waterworks is another very, very good example of how the 'look' of a map or campaign level can boast similar characteristics to other parts of the Halo series while retaining great playability, through means of multifaceted settings. Reach has none of this. Map remakes aside, while Reach does indeed have "new", previously untouched environments and details, it doesn't 'look' or 'feel' like a Halo game.

Finally -- and I'll just keep this portion as simple as possible -- Reach plays like a clunky, slow FPS. It's debilitating and tedious to even think about playing Reach casually, let alone take it seriously. 343i having to fix Bungie's obviously imbalanced "Reticule Bloom" system only further shows how ridiculous of a game Reach is to play.

If it's of no trouble, I'd like to break this part of your post down.

First off, we, the community, have been heavily pushing for the revival of maps from previous Halo titles since early Halo 3. Of course, a large portion of Halo fans preferred to have something close a direct port, especially after the disaster which Blackout was. Blood Gulch, being a popular and, to many, fun map, having had made a return (well, kinda) was an answer to the long-lasting and highest hopes of Halo fans. Reach getting positive reception from the community, for that at least, is nothing surprising. The CEA map pack certainly didn't disappoint however, as it was a much needed breath of fresh air from 343i; there was obviously work placed into remaking the maps which, when accompanied by the fact that this particular map pack had not been broken up into separate releases (not directly referring to the Mythic map pack) and remade to very closely resemble their older counterparts, is absolutely great. I hold no disdain towards 343i's efforts in pleasing the fanbase, but "if the same had been done for Halo 3", Halo 3 would receive the exact same praise.

Next: the Pistol has been fluctuating between horrible, useful, and amazing over the years. In Halo:CE, it was one of the best weapons in the game, capable of quickly netting kills while retaining a rather sizable ammo count. Halo 2's version of the Pistol is obviously not as powerful as the its predecessor's, but retains its use as both a sidearm and versatility in dual-wielding. Halo 3's Pistol had been heavily nerfed through multiple means, particularly by the presence of the (overpowered) Battle Rifle; its use is usually delegated to substituting for a mid to close range weapon, if another is not currently present. Finally, Reach's iteration of the Pistol became a much better and balanced weapon, showing its worth as a useful close-range, headshot capable weapon. Relevance, you ask? I'm attempting to state that the Pistol has always been changing. It's had its own use in every main Halo title, as a sidearm. That's exactly what it's intended to be -- a sidearm. I've never once seen any person complain about that Pistol being "tool powerful" or "useless". Reach's Pistol having had gotten positive feedback is nothing different from the responses it's gotten in previous Halo titles.
tl;dr

D

Deleted member

brawl being awful is too unanimous to be an opinion. if it is not, then there is no threshold where opinion turns into fact, such that your initial statement can also not be fact by definition.

but **** that, basically brawl is awful.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
See the thing about how objectively "good" or "bad" a game is ... who the **** cares? The only thing that should matter to you is your own damn opinion. Even if everyone else in the world thought Xenoblade was a bad game, it wouldn't change my opinion of it. I'd still think it's the best RPG ever made.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion

Bandit

Smash Lord
@TayZonday

Just to clarify your pistol comments. Halo 1's pistol was proven to be THE best weapon. There is no comparison and you never needed another weapon. In Halo 2 and 3 Bungie nerfed the hell out of it, and it was downright useless. I used pistol in my dual wielding depending on game and how well I was playing, but it was more of a troll/desperation grab than a real strategy. Halo Reach gave the pistol life again without making it the metaknight of weapons. Until Reach, the pistol's only use was the main weapon in SWAT. Bullets are near impossible to trace and good players can one shot that all day. Battle Rifle paled in comparison in SWAT due to 3 shots (location easily traced) and inaccuracy.

I've played every iteration (and own) of Halo, and I am not happy that Bungie will no longer be making it. Will the title still be good? Probably, Microsoft can't let the quality slip or the franchise's fans will turn fast.

Just a side note: Halo 2's multiplayer is still far and away the best experience they put out. All the maps were so different and had a lot of variety. Halo 3's maps were average at best but favored the mid to long range so badly that it became a camp fest in every game. Halo: Reach bringing back older maps that give us back some of the variety we desire is good, but none of it can compare to Halo 2. I don't speak on Halo 1 as its maps and multiplayer were really just a learning experience. It had non-vehicle maps that were enormous but were dull and not engaging.

1 last thing (for controversy of course): Halo: ODST is the best single player mode in the Halo series. I agree with Yahtzee's philosophy of a game has to stand up on its own when it provides a single player mode as well as a multiplayer, and ODST is by far the best with Reach coming in behind it.

D

Deleted member

...i'm chunkier than i look. the clothes hide it well. if you had a before-and-after IRL like ryoko does maybe it would make more sense.

also, have you seen TH? how can i compete with that??

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
So I played the demo last night- i liked that you left the moving platform cancel in at smashville. I don't know if you know about it, but it was in brawl and still exists in P:M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6B5QxFBBIs

Was that intentional to leave it in? Please leave if it wasn't on purpose, i like that tech. It only applies in certain situations.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm not really sure what our official stance is on Brawl platform cancels.

9K, who is Brandi? She friended me on Facebook and you are our mutual friend, so I assume you know her.

Who wants to help us break in our new Xbox and giant plasma TV this weekend?

quinnydinny

Smash Cadet
Hmm possibly, and I can harass people about getting dev environments set up. I have windows and osx projects setup, so I just need to push then code up to an svn/git and write a setup guide. Then magic will happen. Magic.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Not for gaming. I did a lot of research to find an HDTV that we can play smash on. If I set it up right, the lag on this TV should be 16-32 ms, which is 1-2 frames, which is equivalent to playing with a Wavebird.

Top Bottom