• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Imperial Legion, MD/VA crew. Xanadu Tuesdays, Legionary Wednesdays

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Well if your mindset is making toonlink a viable melee character, you shouldn't put in all of young links moves that are his main combo material and make us think you're trying to make young link. If you're just trying to make toon link different, I'm fine with that. But the current setup has two characters meshed together and it doesn't really work imo. A good compromise makes everyone unhappy.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Oh freakin waaah. It's still easier to land than it was in Melee.

And it's a SPIKE now too, meaning it can't be meteor canceled so if you pull it off even at low %s it's basically a guaranteed kill.
Well. You have to make sure the setups all work the same as they do in melee since well...it really does become useless otherwise. Or at least have valid setups that allow for fire spikes with Toon Link

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
So I was reading through TV tropes' section on Scott Pilgrim, and apparently this little gem popped up in the original comic version of Scott Pilgrim:

"Gideon stole the power of love! What a d!ck!"

That quote alone makes me think it'll be better than the Kick-*** comic. I'll definitely have to check that out in the near future.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Wow...

I go to NJ and you guys get invaded by a group of fanboys of a prebubescent boy who is sexually confused...

Son, I am disappoint.

-----

Also, good times at the BBQ yesterday.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
So I played through that level 99 grotto and kept track of important stuff to help us out with future runs, since this grotto is well worth running multiple times. "r#" means rank # chest (all possibilities taken into account according to the chest ranks list on Dragon's Den), followed by a rough location on the floor (C = center, the rest should be self-explanatory). Let me know if you can narrow down the ranks of any of the chests.

Greygnarl, Gem Slimes 9-12, PKJs 13-16
3 - r5 SE
4 - r5/6 NW, r4-9 S
5 - r6/9 C, r5 W
6 - r6/8 N, r7-10 N, r6/7 NE
7 - r9 NE, r6 NE
8 - r4-7 N
9 - r7 C, r4-9 W
10 - r5/6 S, r4 SW
11 - r4-9 S, r1 SE
12 - r7 E, r4-9 SE, r1 SE
13 - r4 C, r4 E, r5 SE
14 - r7-10 W, r7-10 NW
15 - r4/7 NW, r5/6 SW, r4-9 W
16 - r3/4/6 C, r7 S

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
ironically i did the same thing with malcolms map...but on paper.

@ ceez / bandit - yeah caledonia is like 20-15 minutes from my place, you should stop by for a bit this weekend.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
I just made it to, the Vocation swap place. I've been grinding a bit, and I think martial artists have to be some kind of retardedly fun and viable tanks at my current level. Psyche up+egg on is doing me quite well. and my main is shaping up into a good tank itself I just can't wait to boost the ******* to a level in which I'm satisfied with before swapping it's class.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I've been grinding up Psaro and have beating him down to an art. I was taking him down in 8-10 turns every level. And then when he got to 16 he learned Hellfire ... and he went down in 6 because every time I reflect it with my fan he does 2000 freakin damage to himself :laugh:

Sadly no Nimzo map yet...

Edit: Yay Nimzo! Now I can finally get my gear!

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
So looking into this, DQ9 doesn't seem to be many status affecting moves, other than a few ineffective poison and sleep moves, and those power level moves of the knight mage. Am I wrong here? Otherwise I think I may need to be a Paladin, or remain a minstel to support the party.... >_>

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
There aren't alot of status afflicting abilities particular to any one class. About half of the weapons can deal some kind of status effect (the ones off the top of my head are the paralysis ability for the axe, the sleep/paralysis/confusion abilities for the whip, the poison ability for the knife, the confusion ability of the fan, and the demon-only paralysis ability for the wand), but none of them are particularly useful against bosses, and only the knife can really capitalize on statused monsters.

What I personally do is dual-master the knife and whip. Not only are they the weapons in line to my hero's theme (knives are obvious, and the whips are the closest weapon that resemble the Ouroborous chains), but the whip is the only status weapon that can hit multiple enemies in one turn, and between the two you are able to use every status effect in the game. With the Gringham Whip, you can even hit all enemies on the field for statuses instead of just select groups (and in my case, I can capitalize on each hit with a higher CH rate as well). Then once you status, pull out your knife and go to work on them with Victimizer/Persecutter (or poison them for the lulz/if you really need the extra damage).

That's the most effective way I can see statuses working, and although that might be pretty useful against random encounters, that won't work for grotto/legacy bosses. I kind of wish the bosses didn't have such insane status resistances. I heard in DQVIII, statuses against bosses were more reasonable. It would probably help in increasing the value of alot of underrated weapons and diversify teams beyond Glad x3/Sage or Glad x2/Sage/Priest.

Also there's no reason to go Minstrel. Ever. Minstrels are awful. If you want to play a support class, go Armamentalist, Ranger/Thief (since they're essentially interchangeable excepting a few niche needs), Paladin, Sage, or Priest.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
I was using planning on using whip/ fisticuffs.

Whip/fan/bow/fist are my favorite weapons so far I was thinking that, minstrel might work because of charm, if I couldn't do status, I could focus on turn skips, I like tension abuse or things like buff but I haven't gotten a vocation that has them all.

I could do well with a set that's solid on def, and can interrupt turns, like if martial artists had good DEF then I would stick to that because of that turn skip coup de grace', as well as the tension build and self heal.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Fisticuffs are awesome. I know quinny dabbles in fists when he isn't brandishing his homoaxe, and all I know is that multifists is not only ****** looking, it's just a beast move in general. Fans are really good, probably the second best weapon next to swords or maybe the 3rd under swords and axes. Bows are good on any magic-heavy class. They do decent damage, and one of their skills drains MP. Also their final skill was ****, or so I heard.

If you want to focus on charm/turn skipping, even though I'm a little loathe to recommend this, maybe the Luminary is the class for you. Although Martial Artists do have the turn skip coup de grace, they don't have good defense, and their charm is sub-par from what I remember. Not only do Luminaries get the highest charm rate in the game, their defense is ok (not great, but better than the MA's) and their coup de grace is practically identical to the MA's (MA's makes all enemies scared for a turn, Luminaries makes all enemies boogie. Both mean they skip a turn. MA's I think also causes a tension increase. That's the only difference to my knowledge).

I think Martial Artists are a much better class in general though thanks to their high attack rating and their top-notch speed (Luminary I think is the 4th fastest class, behind MA, Thief, and Ranger). But from what you're looking for, I would experiment with Luminaries. Sounds like that's just what you're looking for.

Btw you can heal better with the Luminaries' Midheal than with the MA's Meditation. You can also use that on any of your party members instead of having it restricted just for yourself.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Fisticuffs are awesome. I know quinny dabbles in fists when he isn't brandishing his homoaxe, and all I know is that multifists is not only ****** looking, it's just a beast move in general. Fans are really good, probably the second best weapon next to swords or maybe the 3rd under swords and axes. Bows are good on any magic-heavy class. They do decent damage, and one of their skills drains MP. Also their final skill was ****, or so I heard.

If you want to focus on charm/turn skipping, even though I'm a little loathe to recommend this, maybe the Luminary is the class for you. Although Martial Artists do have the turn skip coup de grace, they don't have good defense, and their charm is sub-par from what I remember. Not only do Luminaries get the highest charm rate in the game, their defense is ok (not great, but better than the MA's) and their coup de grace is practically identical to the MA's (MA's makes all enemies scared for a turn, Luminaries makes all enemies boogie. Both mean they skip a turn. MA's I think also causes a tension increase. That's the only difference to my knowledge).

I think Martial Artists are a much better class in general though thanks to their high attack rating and their top-notch speed (Luminary I think is the 4th fastest class, behind MA, Thief, and Ranger). But from what you're looking for, I would experiment with Luminaries. Sounds like that's just what you're looking for.

Btw you can heal better with the Luminaries' Midheal than with the MA's Meditation. You can also use that on any of your party members instead of having it restricted just for yourself.

That sounds like a good idea, but Luminary's have gaping holes in their game because they don't specialize in anything. I heard that's why they get a bad rap. I am looking for some diversity in the party's though and I think I can make it work as long as I make ana honest effort.....I think what I'll do is just take my offline party, mess around with their vocations and see which one I like the most and switch my main person to to that.

oh btw....do they have like a buisness suit type equip in the game?

and before you say, that I'm not gonna keep it long. I am the type of player that can sacrifice a few stat points to look cool >_>.

It's my self balancing system so that I don't plow through a game. I only OD on equips when the enemies are severely ahead of my players.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace

That sounds like a good idea, but Luminary's have gaping holes in their game because they don't specialize in anything. I heard that's why they get a bad rap. I am looking for some diversity in the party's though and I think I can make it work as long as I make ana honest effort.....I think what I'll do is just take my offline party, mess around with their vocations and see which one I like the most and switch my main person to to that.

oh btw....do they have like a buisness suit type equip in the game?

and before you say, that I'm not gonna keep it long. I am the type of player that can sacrifice a few stat points to look cool >_>.

It's my self balancing system so that I don't plow through a game. I only OD on equips when the enemies are severely ahead of my players.
Yo have you seen what I wear in-game? I DO wear a business suit equip

You need to get out of my head man. Starting to give me the heebie jeebies.

Luminaries are considered bottom-tier though with Minstrels because their stats just don't have good enough gains and they're stuck on Midheal. That's ok though, Thieves are considered low tier and I want to make that work (I have a mid-tier Ranger as back up, but honestly aside from two spells and the coup de grace, the differences between them are negligible. As in my Thief has a 400 attack score at level 99, and my Ranger has 405 at 99. Thief's Coup is leaps and bounds better than Ranger's though).

brofist?

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Yo have you seen what I wear in-game? I DO wear a business suit equip

You need to get out of my head man. Starting to give me the heebie jeebies.

Luminaries are considered bottom-tier though with Minstrels because their stats just don't have good enough gains and they're stuck on Midheal. That's ok though, Thieves are considered low tier and I want to make that work (I have a mid-tier Ranger as back up, but honestly aside from two spells and the coup de grace, the differences between them are negligible. As in my Thief has a 400 attack score at level 99, and my Ranger has 405 at 99. Thief's Coup is leaps and bounds better than Ranger's though).

brofist?

*Brofist*

>_>

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You guys are starting to scare me...

Can't wait to try to beat legacy bosses with TWO allies playing bottom tier classes with garbage equipment.

*continues grinding away at Nimzo for my own garbage equipment that I'm dying to get for looks alone*

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Minor note: Gale Fource reduces damage from Kaboom family spells. And Nimzo casts haywire Kabooms like crazy (and happens to be weak to wind).

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I cleared the Greygnarl dungeon with the intent to collect most of the chests and narrow down JCz's research. I decided to get lazy with the last two floors because there was no way they were going to be good and I wanted to farm PKJs anyway.

I was going to update this with what this all means, but I'm tired so I'll do it in the morning. In the meantime, here's the raw data (bracketed are the items that I found.

3 - r5 SE
4 - r5/6 NW [Mimic], r4-9 S [Mimic]
5 - r6/9 C [Phial of Mystifying Mixture], r5 W
6 - r6/8 N [Astral Plume], r7-10 N [Pandora's Box], r6/7 NE [Saint's Ashes]
7 - r9 NE [Ethereal Stone], r6 NE [Mythrill Ore]
8 - r4-7 N [Phial of Mystifying Mixture]
9 - r7 C [She-Mage shoes], r4-9 W [Mini Medal]
10 - r5/6 S, r4 SW
11 - r4-9 S, r1 SE
12 - r7 E [Perfect Panacea], r4-9 SE, r1 SE
13 - r4 C, r4 E, r5 SE
14 - r7-10 W [Knockout Rod], r7-10 NW [Reset Stone]
15 - r4/7 NW [Saint's Ashes], r5/6 SW, r4-9 W
16 - r3/4/6 C, r7 S

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
3 - r5 SE
4 - r6 NW, r6 S
5 - r6 C, r5 W
6 - r6 N, r8-10 N, r7 NE
7 - r9 NE, r6 NE
8 - r6 NW
9 - r7 NE, r8/9 W
10 - r5/6 S, r4 SW
11 - r4 S, r1 SE
12 - r7 E, r8/9 SE, r1 SE
13 - r4 C, r4 E, r5 SE
14 - r10 W, r10 NW
15 - r4/7 NW, r5/6 SW, r4-9 W
16 - r3/4/6 C, r7 S

Up to date. I'm gonna run it again and narrow it down some more.

Edit: More updated

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
TH, what kind of sodas do you and QD like to drink?

Waffle, there's a good chance we'll have some time to drop by on Saturday.

Also, I've mostly just been grinding up Nimzo going for that Gothan gear, so I won't be that far ahead. And I haven't had that much time to play anyway.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
QD won't be coming from what he told me when I asked him. Even though he wants to go, he has school stuff to take care of over the weekend.

But I like coke, 7up, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Crush idc. Mostly any soda that doesn't have "*adjective brand*" or "Diet/Zero/One" in its name works for me.

Also all I've done is go through the dungeon once. I haven't had alot of free time, but the free time I did have has been spent on BlazBlue (in preparation for the balance patch), Pokemon (in preparation for Black/White), and P:M (in preparation to quit once they re-implement Melee ledge occupancy XD).

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
@ ceez - cool you should come by, ill be in all weekend. dinner / questing / whatever you guys wanna do?

also because its fuxxing amazing, i come bearing a short rhyming story...

Once upon a time the land of Melmond, the splendor of vegetation decayed.
It was prophecised the four stunnin' Light Warriors would come and save the day.
Arrivin' in Corneria, in the midst of their deliria, four mother****ers emerged!
To teach a valued lesson. Bet you'll count your blessin's at the beating thats about to occur.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I see your short rhyming story, and I raise you one of my own:

Now look who creeping look who crawling still balling in the mix
It's that six six long dix slim brotha sticking your chick
Pullin tricks looking slick at all times when I'm flipping
Bar sipping car dipping grand wood grain gripping
Still tippin' on four fours wrapped in four vogues
Pimping four hoes and I'm packing four fours
Blowing on the endo Game Cube Nintendo
Five percent tint so you can't see up in my window
These brothaz don't understand me cuz I'm Boss Hogg on candy
Top down at Maxi's wit a big glock nine handy
Pieced up creased up staying dressed to impress
Big boss belt buckle under my Mitchell and Ness
Oh, Gucci shades up on my braids when I Escalade
When I'm riding Sprewells sliding like a escapade
I got it made the big boss of the north
Ain't **** changed I still represent Swisha House

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Minor note: Gale Fource reduces damage from Kaboom family spells. And Nimzo casts haywire Kabooms like crazy (and happens to be weak to wind).
That's because I think the "blast" element is actually just electric, and gale fource stops electricity as well.

I am hyped that he's looking a lot like slayer, but I'm scared that he may be nerfed to oblivion.

Seriously, 4400 damage from what looked like a BnB? Bit ridank.

Also, it's nice to see that the map I got is good for farming.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I am hyped that he's looking a lot like slayer, but I'm scared that he may be nerfed to oblivion.

Seriously, 4400 damage from what looked like a BnB? Bit ridank.
Yeah so far the loctest said that he's mad broken and needs to be nerfed quick.

Guess we'll find out how broken he is during the next two days.

Also it's funny to note that his BnB combo did more damage than either of the DD combos.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
There once was a nerdy crew
That really had nothing to do
So they sat at home
Grinding their dome
To all their characters on D.Q.

I'm the only one who talks
While everyone else just balks
I rhyme so fast
Put you on your ass
While you sit down and sulk.

Now you all are weeping
All your tears are seeping
It's just sad
Just how bad
All the souls I've been reaping

~P-Wubbs

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Wat? I know lycanthropes are werewolves but that doesn't really make sense.

Sure is poetic in here. Except I have no idea wtf TH said.

Anyway, TH, when do you think you'll get to Westminster tonight?

Top Bottom