• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Imperial Legion, MD/VA crew. Xanadu Tuesdays, Legionary Wednesdays

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Schedule for tomorrow:
9:30am - leave my house
10:00am - pick up Count Kaiser from Old Court Metro
10:30am - pick up Guy from his house
Soon after that - get breakfast on the road
After that - arrive at tourney

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
He will most likely stay a hybrid with the best parts of both characters, like how Mario was fused with Doc.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Hey, has anyone seen a blue and grey nokia cell phone? Looks like it was made in the 80's?

I lost it somehow, and I'm hoping someone I know picked it up.

Laijin

Smash Hero
So we need to make Toon Link worse?

I dunno, but he does have a lot of YL's properties.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoaaaa...
WHOA.

TL DOES NOT have a lot YL's properties.
His projectiles are completely different and they work completely different as well(As in they are worst and you can't combo with them as you can in Melee). Why are his projectiles so great? His bombs hit multiple times, his boomerang has a "sweetspot" that does %16+ damage at close range, fire arrows!, catching bombs off of shield for shield pressure, bomb drop d-air for the edge guard, etc etc
He is missing YL's amazing n-air (a very important aspect to YL's gameplay).
His up-b seems to have less range.

Now I'm not gonna sit here list every single difference TL has from YL, but I will say this to get my point across:
Seriously. Link is closer to Young Link than Toon Link is. They are pretty much completely different characters as in they are almost nothing alike(aside from the fact they are both kids have have "the same projectiles").

In my personal opinion, TL is extremely boring where as YL is the most fun character to play in Melee. If you guys don't make TL more like Young Link, I'm pretty sure you'll be getting a lot of hate from the YL boards haha(since we all mutually hate him ;o)

He will most likely stay a hybrid with the best parts of both characters, like how Mario was fused with Doc.
Please don't do this T__T

I mean if you guys can take the effort to turn fox and falco into their melee counterparts, why not also do the same for TL? Its only fair man. If you need any advice on how to make him more melee like, feel free to ask me and anyone else from the YL boards.

rhan

Smash Hero
So what you're saying... Is that he's going to have YL's frame and not look like the 4th powerpuff girl? Also you're going to give him fire arrows, a better rang, multiple hit bombs, the boot (nair), the multiple boots (bair), a non fast falling dair?

Also you're going to be taking away his tights? And that giant head? And give him a deku sheild and a korkiri sword? And a flame spike?

That sounds pretty legit.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoaaaa...
WHOA.

TL DOES NOT have a lot YL's properties.
His projectiles are completely different and they work completely different as well(As in they are worst and you can't combo with them as you can in Melee). Why are his projectiles so great? His bombs hit multiple times, his boomerang has a "sweetspot" that does %16+ damage at close range, fire arrows!, catching bombs off of shield for shield pressure, bomb drop d-air for the edge guard, etc etc
He is missing YL's amazing n-air (a very important aspect to YL's gameplay).
His up-b seems to have less range.

Now I'm not gonna sit here list every single difference TL has from YL, but I will say this to get my point across:
Seriously. Link is closer to Young Link than Toon Link is. They are pretty much completely different characters as in they are almost nothing alike(aside from the fact they are both kids have have "the same projectiles").

In my personal opinion, TL is extremely boring where as YL is the most fun character to play in Melee. If you guys don't make TL more like Young Link, I'm pretty sure you'll be getting a lot of hate from the YL boards haha(since we all mutually hate him ;o)

Please don't do this T__T

I mean if you guys can take the effort to turn fox and falco into their melee counterparts, why not also do the same for TL? Its only fair man. If you need any advice on how to make him more melee like, feel free to ask me and anyone else from the YL boards.
*C0-Signs*

*Diq Rides*

*Ethernal Love*

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Laijin, when's the last time you played? TL currently has most of YL's moveset. The big exceptions are that he still has TL's bair, fair, and usmash. Everything else is YL I think, though some moves have been tweaked to be better.

I recommend you guys bring this up in the official Project M thread if it is that important to the Young Link community. If a lot of people bring it up (in a RESPECTFUL manner, not just "Make him YL or I will never play this game nyah nyah nyah"), it will be taken very seriously by the back room.

But you also have to realize we have a Toon Link community to appease as well, and there is currently no way to add characters, so our options are either to make a hybrid or to remove one of them from the game (and removing Brawl characters for lost Melee characters is frowned upon).

Revven

FrankerZ
Toon Link has the following that Young Link had in Melee:

Fire spike on Dair (and it's actually a SPIKE, meaning you can't meteor cancel it)
Nair (yes he has YL's Nair, the sex kick...)
Dsmash
No stall then fall Dair

Everything else is either TL or was made better. You really need to play him before saying "get rid of him for YL", because currently he's actually a hybrid whereas months ago he probably had hardly any work done to him.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Alright. I'll give him a serious play through next time I play Project M and give you guys suggestions.

Really though, for something called project M...I kinda figured it was acceptable to just remove brawl characters in place of melee since isn't the point to make the game pretty much a melee version of brawl? If thats not the case...then wouldn't this more so just be more like Brawl+ with melee stuff in it? Or do I have the wrong idea about P:M?

Edit:
I'm signing up through the application process soon. Accept me plzzz. :O

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Well anyway, JC, I'm able to get my phone tomorrow at the owings mills metro. When do you want me to be there?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The point is not to make it just melee, but also make every character viable. They don't just want to create toon link as a low tier character again.

keeping some of the TL moves will help that.

Remember they've added quite a few things from smash 64 as well.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The point is not to make it just melee, but also make every character viable. They don't just want to create toon link as a low tier character again.

keeping some of the TL moves will help that.

Remember they've added quite a few things from smash 64 as well.
Thats a better explaination.
I totally agree with making every character better as no one wants Young Link to suck again..haha.I do happen to like TL's back air :p

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Oh god, remember when we mentioned that Guy should make a mono-monkey team with Raep-Monkey, Aipom, Grass monkey, and Primape? And that he needed 2 moore monkies for a full team?

Remember when I also mentioned that we were missing the legendary trio for the game (not the cover art trio, but the more minor ones like the birds/dogs/regis/faries)?

I should have kept my mouth shut

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That's awesome! One of the reasons I really liked 3rd gen was because it introduced double battles (along with other great game mechanics). I can't wait for full 6 on 6 action.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
There's a little more strategies in triple battles than there was in double battles too. The positioning of the Pokemon matter (the Pokemon on the left-most side can attack the Pokemon on the left hand side and the center of your opponent's team, but cannot attack the opponent to the right hand side of the opponent's team with most moves). Move can also be combined in tripple battles. The ones that are so far known are Grass Oath, Fire Oath, and Water Oath. Using Grass/Water Oaths mains a swamp that lowers all opposing Pokemon's speed. Using Water/Fire Oaths makes a rainbow appear that increases the chances of secondary effects occuring (think of it as a team-wide Serene Grace). Grass/Fire Oaths create a burning field that damages all Pokemon on the opponents side of the field, like a wide-scale burn or poison that can't be cured.

Stuff like that.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Dual type attacks would suck and you should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking such a thought.

For clarification, you mean dual type attacks not as in combined attacks like what was described above, but single attacks with more than one elemental property, yes?

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Sooo.... I'm at lvl 14 beat Wight Knight and the subsequent boss, and now I'm in the next location. I'm moving steadily along.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Young link's projectiles are a major part of his game. They're not just to throw at people like toon link. (that's mainly what I see toon links do with them, but I don't know much about the character tbh) They're also used to create openings and combo into other attacks. Without the melee projectiles, the current TL/YL hybrid has the halves of two characters that don't really mesh together and make the character less viable.

Also last time I checked young link was in mid tier.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The whole idea is to make TL a viable melee character. If he's just like melee 100%, then what the heck is the point

I could just play melee

@Count- It would break the entire metagame. It would be the end of the game altogether.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The whole idea is to make TL a viable melee character. If he's just like melee 100%, then what the heck is the point

I could just play melee

@Count- It would break the entire metagame. It would be the end of the game altogether.
And making his projectiles actually good and useful(rather than leaving them useless and not being able to combo off at all) is not making him viable?

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight

I could just play melee

triple battle and the oaths have done just fine to end the game. I think I may draw the line there.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh freakin waaah. It's still easier to land than it was in Melee.

And it's a SPIKE now too, meaning it can't be meteor canceled so if you pull it off even at low %s it's basically a guaranteed kill.

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
when i jump of the ledge and dair id at least like to know that its possible to land a spike and get a kill because im most certainly going to die.

Top Bottom