• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's some interesting news: The IP restriction for Dragon Quest X was recently lifted, and there are reports of error messages appearing in English...This seems like a good sign for a possible localization.
I have zero interest in that game, but cool for the people that do.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have zero interest in that game, but cool for the people that do.
You have zero interest in a dragon quest game?

Not sure if this is a good video for the gameplay, but at least can see it a bit:

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
No, I think he'd be a good pick. I feel like some kind of monster is probably the way to go, but if it were a party member, it should definitely be one who's not much like the heroes in appearance or fighting style and has a big personality. Someone like Yangus or Veronica would fit really well.

For my own pick, since I didn't actually do one earlier, I think I'd go with Ramia/Empyrea, if she wasn't in Erdrick's moveset or animations. Maybe even if she was. I really like the tradition Heroes started of associating her with crossovers, and DQVIII gave her some moves to work with.
I think the best Party Assist Trophy would be a party made up with a variety of characters from various DQ games and or they are randomly combined in groups of 3 and goes following the summoner in a line attacking the nearby enemy's, or a group of the possible party members quickly appears and one of then stay and function like Alucard/Sukapon/Guile/etc...

My first instinct is to go "Psaro wins because they're basically the same and Psaro was first."

But then I realize that Psaro didn't even have character art in the 8-bit era, and no non-monsterous battle sprite. Which means his current Sephiroth-like appearance was probably created for the DS remake, which came out AFTER FF7.

Which means SE probably went "Lets make this guy a lot more like Sephiroth, so people will think he's cool."

That said, Psaro still wins because you can make him join your party if you do a bunch of bonus junk.
I think Psaro, Sephiroth and Magus are the best villains from classic JRPG games.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have less than zero interest in a DQ MMO, yes.
There's still interesting characters and DQ lore. I heard the story isn't bad, though obviously we need it in english to see for ourselves.

And, if they end up making it playable offline too, then it doesnt need to be an mmo :)
I think it's cool to be able to walk around in battle.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Everyone's got their favorites ;)
I'd like to say the artist is a fan of class systems but Eight is there.

Random tidbit of info I didn't know but Rek actually has a slew of different names.
"The Hero has many official names in Japanese. The default name for him in the games is Rek (レック). In the CD theater drama, his name is Will (ウィル). In the manga, his name is Botts (ボッツ). In the novelization, his name is Iza "
Speaking of the CD theatres. I really wished they were translated.

Here's some interesting news: The IP restriction for Dragon Quest X was recently lifted, and there are reports of error messages appearing in English...This seems like a good sign for a possible localization.
God I'd hope so. A Dragon Quest mmo really does sound fantastic.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I am indifferent on MMOs. I just never got into them. Probably because I’m not as dedicated of a player as other people so I tend to lag behind fellow party members. Or the people I played them with just didn’t make them any fun.

“Now you grind here, now you level up there. Now choose these skills which will be most helpful to the party”.

(Logs in next day, there’s a 30 level gap difference).

That said, I’m an absolute sucker for anything DQ, so if we end up getting it, I’m on board. I’ll just play alone, with the rare occasion where I join other people who happen to be at my current level.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am indifferent on MMOs. I just never got into them. Probably because I’m not as dedicated of a player as other people so I tend to lag behind fellow party members. Or the people I played them with just didn’t make them any fun.

“Now you grind here, now you level up there. Now choose these skills which will be most helpful to the party”.

That said, I’m an absolute sucker for anything DQ, so if we end up getting it, I’m on board. I’ll just play alone, with the rare occasion where I join other people who happen to be at my current level.
I'm more of a loner so I rarely played mmos. Funnily enough the one i probably played the most was the Shin Megami Tensei one. It wasnt perfect and it didn't last for that many years, but I still had a lot of fun, and with other people.

Some are tedious, but It really depends, I would definitely play the DQ one. I'm also looking forward to any cool new ones coming in the future.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

This is basically what happens to me with every MMO. I don't really feel like doing something repetitive for hours sitting in front of a screen. Similar thing happened with Monster Hunter but at least it had single player and portable, so I played that a lot, although still pretty repetitive.
DQX might be interesting for me, though, if it's on the Switch (portable) and has decent single player.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
This is basically what happens to me with every MMO. I don't really feel like doing something repetitive for hours sitting in front of a screen. Similar thing happened with Monster Hunter but at least it had single player and portable, so I played that a lot, although still pretty repetitive.
DQX might be interesting for me, though, if it's on the Switch (portable) and has decent single player.
MMO's don't really do it for me since I find the gameplay to be very boring. But from a quick wikipedia search, the battle system is still the ones we all know, turn base i mean. Considering I've been hearing a lot of good things about it, so I'm hoping it isnt an elder scrolls situation where the game is just boring.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
MMO's don't really do it for me since I find the gameplay to be very boring. But from a quick wikipedia search, the battle system is still the ones we all know, turn base i mean. Considering I've been hearing a lot of good things about it, so I'm hoping it isnt an elder scrolls situation where the game is just boring.
MMO battle systems are more interesting than turn based since there's more going on. One difference in mmos is that you're usually just one member as part of a group. It looks like you have npcs in dq10 at least. I dont know if you can issue commands, but the combat looks like an mmo, you can even walk around freely.

I could see it being boring because it's often a lot of cheap quests rather than a constant adventure. I'd guess DQ would have a proper adventure even as an mmo. Dunno tho. I do know a lot of people said good things about FF14. I wouldn't pay per month for a game if i can help it tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MMOs are hard for me to get into, I got bored after 1 week of playing in all the times I tried.

I would still be happy for X to come here and would like to try it, I'm quite curious how the game works and to play it even if I don't make it very far.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Don't you dare get my hopes up, not after so long. I know things are looking better than usual, but DQX is deeper in the never happening vault than Mother 3 and Phantasy Star Online 2. Even if Square Enix outright says it's happening, I'm not sure I'll believe it.

...although some movement on the DQX front would fit pretty well with the Anlucia part of the 5ch leak, and dammit no

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Just got this today. It's a lot bigger and heavier then I was expecting.

EDIT: Looks like Billy addressed that word doc from a few days ago.

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I'm pretty bad with introductions but I've been a quiet Erdrick supporter for awhile. I played Dragon Quest IX when it was first released,
and played 4-6 on the DS. So you could say I'm a causal fan. Since Dragon Quest XI is finally coming to the Switch and Erdrick being
possibly the next DLC character to be revealed. I kinda sparked interest in the series again, I honestly wanna see it grow outside of
Japan. With that being said, What's up fellow Erdrick fans! :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm pretty bad with introductions but I've been a quiet Erdrick supporter for awhile. I played Dragon Quest IX when it was first released,
and played 4-6 on the DS. So you could say I'm a causal fan. Since Dragon Quest XI is finally coming to the Switch and Erdrick being
possibly the next DLC character to be revealed. I kinda sparked interest in the series again, I honestly wanna see it grow outside of
Japan. With that being said, What's up fellow Erdrick fans! :)
Welcome! I'm so glad you can join our cult :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To the multitudes of people who responded to me- I appreciate your input and thank you for your time.
I do however remain unchanged in my opinion, which is a bit like how a Rupaul runway is critiqued- the silhouette matters. It seems to be the reason we got Piranha Plant, and a unique one at that. Majority of the responses I got cater to already fans of the DQ series- not really a way to approach newcomers with a newcomer approaching.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello Everyone! :)

Just to let you know, I've usurped the thread. Here's users I added to the support list:

Overtaken Overtaken
@Bolderousness
Shado-will Shado-will
R Rumble Red
-Coco- -Coco-
Cruelcumber Cruelcumber
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Yatanagi Yatanagi
@Zeke The Zekenator
NomadLuminary NomadLuminary
O OpticalBlast
helloiamhere helloiamhere
@JDCabrera
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28
OnyanRings OnyanRings
Takasmash Takasmash
Ornl Ornl
Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon
TriforceBun TriforceBun
NoOtherPersona NoOtherPersona
Flyboy Flyboy
Pennate Pennate
@psb123
@Connorb0t2
Voe Voe
Dannio Dannio
Zuppo Zuppo
Saer2k Saer2k

We're now all the way to 60 supporters :)
I'll update the main post once in a while. Including with the info we've had around erdrick.
If you'd like something to be added let me know. edit: I had a bit of trouble with the images, they broke, but i found other ones.

Here's users I wasn't sure would want to be in the support list. Let me know if you want to be added. Or if you want to be removed, or if someone else hasn't been added, you can let me know too.

A Akira_Joker Garteam Garteam Zetra3 Zetra3 A Ayumi Tachibana thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket T-Donor66 T-Donor66 Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Just to let you know, I've usurped the thread. Here's users I added to the support list:

Overtaken Overtaken
@Bolderousness
Shado-will Shado-will
R Rumble Red
-Coco- -Coco-
Cruelcumber Cruelcumber
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Yatanagi Yatanagi
@Zeke The Zekenator
O OpticalBlast
@JDCabrera
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28
OnyanRings OnyanRings
Takasmash Takasmash
Ornl Ornl
TriforceBun TriforceBun
Flyboy Flyboy
Pennate Pennate
@psb123
@Connorb0t2
Voe Voe
Dannio Dannio
Zuppo Zuppo
Saer2k Saer2k

I'll update the main post once in a while. Including with the info we've had around erdrick.

If you'd like something to be added let me know. Also, if someone has a good image of the Snes Erdrick artwork please share, the old images broke and I've put a smaller placeholder in the meantime :p

Here's users I wasn't sure would want to be in the support list. Let me know if you want to be added. Or if you want to be removed, or if someone else hasn't been added, you can let me know too.

A Akira_Joker Garteam Garteam Zetra3 Zetra3 A Ayumi Tachibana thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket T-Donor66 T-Donor66 Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
77abe6a65b9434d59038ece554a81540--akira-toriyama-videogames.jpg

Your wish is my command.
To the multitudes of people who responded to me- I appreciate your input and thank you for your time.
I do however remain unchanged in my opinion, which is a bit like how a Rupaul runway is critiqued- the silhouette matters. It seems to be the reason we got Piranha Plant, and a unique one at that. Majority of the responses I got cater to already fans of the DQ series- not really a way to approach newcomers with a newcomer approaching.
I mean with that argument, the chocobo should've been in over Cloud Strife since that animal is a mascot to the entire FF franchise. There are some that don't actually have a recognizable silhouette arguably like Bayonetta. While I love the character, she doesnt really have what I call a striking silhouette.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
View attachment 207185

Your wish is my command.

I mean with that argument, the chocobo should've been in over Cloud Strife since that animal is a mascot to the entire FF franchise. There are some that don't actually have a recognizable silhouette arguably like Bayonetta. While I love the character, she doesnt really have what I call a striking silhouette.
thanks ;). For the img I meant the one with male and female, but I could add that one too somewhere.
The one i found online is a weird format like a .webp and it doesnt work for whatever reason.

edit: I found one of each so i think i'll be able to work with that. s'all good

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
We could discuss theoreticals and it ultimately won’t matter.
Will x gauge interest or will it not.

If I were to weigh in on the matter. Using Slime as the playable character would be a misrepresentation for Dragon Quest.
A comfort zone for western audiences who don’t know about the series except for that one gooey, smiley character that pops up once every 20 fan rosters.

Weigh that in with what the series is about. The journey of a hero and it’s legacy throughout the series. The iconic equipment, and the fact that Erdrick’s name echoes throughout the series represents a deeper lore to the series than just the mascot.

To you it may seem like just another human character, and a swordsman to boot. But one of the sacred principles behind Dragon Quest is having the main hero ALWAYS being a human character.

Persona didn’t go for the mascot, even though it represents the MAIN SMT series and the now more popular spinoff series. So why should DQ?

On a personal level, I want to play as the character I identified with. The jnclusion is of Piranha Plant is fine because they already included pretty much every character you could possibly play as in a main Mario game. So why not go for something off left field?

Same with Pokémon Trainer. Yes, Pikachu is the mascot of the series. And the worldwide iconic value was off the charts. But when he was included I finally felt an attachment to a Pokémon character in smash. The character I played over 600 hours with, was finally there. I didn’t stick with Pikachu all of those hours, but I was controlling an 11 y-o red-capped boy who represented me giving commands to these Pokémon. Even if he sticks to using other Pokémon, it’s fine, because he’s the main face of the party of starters that are emblematic to him.

And like me, most fans of Dragon Quest will probably feel the same.
It’s a deep series, it doesn’t have to try to cater to the same people who hate the thought of a DQ character “stealing a slot” but would be a little more ok if it were the character they sometimes see pop up because one person played Rocket Slime.

Sorry if I come across harsh. I would actually be delighted to have Slime playable. But I don’t believe Slime is what the series is about. Give me a Hero first. A Villain as character, boss, or AT 2nd, and THEN we can talk about having Slime.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
if slime did make it in i've said it once and I'll say it again it should be ROCKET

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Despite being a supporter of Erdrick, and more specifically, Dragon Quest in Smash, I haven't really posted here. I'd like to be added to the supporter list if you don't mind.

I still have yet to really give Dragon Quest a proper amount of time. I picked up the 7 and 8 remakes on 3DS for cheap during the holidays with the intention of playing them and got a couple of hours into both. I figured I'd try them both out just to see how they were different. I eventually settled on playing 8 (just because I know it's not AS long as 7), but I got busy with the current semester of school. I hope to return to it fairly soon though as my semester winds down. I've also been seriously considering just buying 3 on my phone since it's a lot easier to find time for my phone than my 3DS for some reason.

Also, I really love some of the art circling around this thread, especially your avatar NomadLuminary NomadLuminary

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Despite being a supporter of Erdrick, and more specifically, Dragon Quest in Smash, I haven't really posted here. I'd like to be added to the supporter list if you don't mind.

I still have yet to really give Dragon Quest a proper amount of time. I picked up the 7 and 8 remakes on 3DS for cheap during the holidays with the intention of playing them and got a couple of hours into both. I figured I'd try them both out just to see how they were different. I eventually settled on playing 8 (just because I know it's not AS long as 7), but I got busy with the current semester of school. I hope to return to it fairly soon though as my semester winds down. I've also been seriously considering just buying 3 on my phone since it's a lot easier to find time for my phone than my 3DS for some reason.

Also, I really love some of the art circling around this thread, especially your avatar NomadLuminary NomadLuminary
Definitely. I bought the first 3 Dragon Quest games on my phone for easy playing since I carried my phone with me everywhere. Mobile games have a stigma but I can vouch for the quality of the ports, they're great.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Definitely. I bought the first 3 Dragon Quest games on my phone for easy playing since I carried my phone with me everywhere. Mobile games have a stigma but I can vouch for the quality of the ports, they're great.
That's good to know for some people i'm sure. I'll probably still just be with emulators until there's proper new console ports somewhere. (hey It's not my fault they werent remade on ds or 3ds). I'm actually still thinking of trying the gbc version because i'll probably like it.

Added you :)

I'm also thinking of adding people's erdrick movesets to the main post.
I'll probably only have time to add some things during the upcoming weekend tho.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm more of a loner so I rarely played mmos. Funnily enough the one i probably played the most was the Shin Megami Tensei one. It wasnt perfect and it didn't last for that many years, but I still had a lot of fun, and with other people.

Some are tedious, but It really depends, I would definitely play the DQ one. I'm also looking forward to any cool new ones coming in the future.
The only MMO which I was somewhat regular at, was Flyff. But I never got into its story enough to fully commit.
I'm a big Warcraft fan, and I just couldn't get into WoW. Sure, paying for it monthly was a big reason for it, but again, if I couldn't get into the free ones, then I wasn't going to pay a fee for one.

I would however hop on DQX. At least pay for 1 month if there isn't a trial, see if I have the time to put into it.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Why thank you :). I got into the series with 11 and I'm currently playing through 3. The fanart posts are kind of my mission since I hardly see them. So here is another one :)

61d6a015-1f21-49c2-a25a-703b44b1eecb.jpg

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Overtaken Overtaken
@Bolderousness
Shado-will Shado-will
R Rumble Red
-Coco- -Coco-
Cruelcumber Cruelcumber
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Yatanagi Yatanagi
@Zeke The Zekenator
O OpticalBlast
@JDCabrera
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28
OnyanRings OnyanRings
Takasmash Takasmash
Ornl Ornl
TriforceBun TriforceBun
Flyboy Flyboy
Pennate Pennate
@psb123
@Connorb0t2
Voe Voe
Dannio Dannio
Zuppo Zuppo
Saer2k Saer2k

If you'd like something to be added let me know. edit: I had a bit of trouble with the images, they broke, but i found other ones.

If you can could you add me as a supporter I've been playing DQ11 & DQ8 on 3DS lately and I would love a DQ Hero to make it to Smash Bros and Erdrick would fit right in perfectly.

D

Deleted member

May I propose if we try to do and add a small info section about the mainline games in the intro? I feel that we have a few people asking about recommendations to try the series sometimes, so it would be nice to have it for reference so that people can look and see an entry that might be appealing to them. Especially because either outcome from Erdrick in Smash, we can at least use it to help people get into the series.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
May I propose if we try to do and add a small info section about the mainline games in the intro? I feel that we have a few people asking about recommendations to try the series sometimes, so it would be nice to have it for reference so that people can look and see an entry that might be appealing to them. Especially because either outcome from Erdrick in Smash, we can at least use it to help people get into the series.
I agree, it would at least give people the idea of what the series is about too.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Overtaken Overtaken
@Bolderousness
Shado-will Shado-will
R Rumble Red
-Coco- -Coco-
Cruelcumber Cruelcumber
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Yatanagi Yatanagi
@Zeke The Zekenator
O OpticalBlast
@JDCabrera
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28
OnyanRings OnyanRings
Takasmash Takasmash
Ornl Ornl
TriforceBun TriforceBun
Flyboy Flyboy
Pennate Pennate
@psb123
@Connorb0t2
Voe Voe
Dannio Dannio
Zuppo Zuppo
Saer2k Saer2k

Add me as well since I don't seem to be on the list

Based on the way Nintendo has been acting and talking about Smash, I'd imagine that it's going to be aimed towards the fans of a particular series rather than what seems more "accessible" to the Smash fanbase.

For example, Erdrick is what Dragon Quest fans would want. Yuri Lowell would be who Tales of fans would want. I feel every DLC choice will follow a similar process.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Based on the way Nintendo has been acting and talking about Smash, I'd imagine that it's going to be aimed towards the fans of a particular series rather than what seems more "accessible" to the Smash fanbase.

For example, Erdrick is what Dragon Quest fans would want. Yuri Lowell would be who Tales of fans would want. I feel every DLC choice will follow a similar process.
Would it be Yuri Lowell? To play devil's advocate, what about Lloyd Irving?

Also:

This is Erdrick waiting for his time to shine in Smash LOL

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Add me as well since I don't seem to be on the list

I wanna be on the cool people list
I'm surprised you two weren't already on the list. :O I might've missed a few others too.
I'll fix that right away (with you two at least) :)

If you can could you add me as a supporter I've been playing DQ11 & DQ8 on 3DS lately and I would love a DQ Hero to make it to Smash Bros and Erdrick would fit right in perfectly.
Can do!

Also:

This is Erdrick waiting for his time to shine in Smash LOL
That's actually a really cute pic XD
(minus or not the nose picking)

Yes that's a good idea. I'm not sure where to put it, but there can definitely be a section for dragon quest in general, and maybe some info like TheYungLink TheYungLink 's post on the games for the entries.

It'll be the third thing I add, after the leak/datamine section and one for movesets. I can put it at the end or earlier in the post.
Weekend plans ;p

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yuri's pretty much the de facto favorite among the Tales of fanbase worldwide alongside Vesperia being one of the best titles in the series as well. It's not to say that Lloyd doesn't have his place, but Lloyd's very much the "Nintendo fan pick" of the lot. Lloyd is the one that is more "accepted" by the Smash fanbase.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
For those that love Dragon Quest Monsters, this relates to the latest release that was discussed earlier in the forums.

And for the Erdrick fans like myself

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For those that love Dragon Quest Monsters, this relates to the latest release that was discussed earlier in the forums.

And for the Erdrick fans like myself

I'm a fan of green hair so I really like the green tint version XD
I hope they go with that for the game.

How were those characters in DQ11? Was there anything hinting at that they can tame monsters?
(can put in spoilers if there's anything spoilery)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom