• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Not to mention a bouncing little blue dollop would be a charming character to those who don't know the series.
I've never talked about it before, but this is my number one problem with Slime as the only playable Dragon Quest character. Slime is likable even if you don't know the series purely on a design level, but fans who are intimately familiar with the worlds and characters of the games themselves always want someone else, because THEY'RE what we take away from the series--not "how appealing the design of the weakest monster you face is".

Basically, Slime would be an absurdly safe pick that doesn't communicate what Dragon Quest is actually like, they'd be putting in a mascot just to "represent" Dragon Quest, rather than to REFLECT Dragon Quest, which is what I want. I don't want a playable representation of the Dragon Quest series--well I DO, but I also want someone I recognize and am familiar with, which Erdrick would fulfill not only for me but for all of Japan, alongside the representation part. Erdrick could use a mix of magic, weaponry, and maybe even other party members if they're that ambitious, all of which accurately reflect the series and his game.

This is also why I've never been a fan of having a Chocobo or Moogle or Black Mage playable before one of the actual main characters of a Final Fantasy game. I want someone I know, not a mascot. Mascots are Pokemon's thing.

(I'm not trying to pile on you, pupNapoleon, if that's what you truly believe, then that's fair. It's just I disagree and want to make clear my reason why since I never touched on it before.)

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Is Erdrick actually as infamous as Cloud?

I find myself slightly erked that Chocobo lost out to Cloud- but somehow that seems acceptable for Final Fantasy.
As it comes to Dragon Quest- I really think Slime would be the way to propel the series forward. Not to mention a bouncing little blue dollop would be a charming character to those who don't know the series.
Hmm, I dunno since many people have different measures for how "Cloud level" is reached. But Erdrick is the most popular main character and the human character I see being referenced the most.

Any DQ rep is good for me, though, I really don't think Slime moves the status quo, yes its the character the west is the most comfortable with, and that is kind of half the issue, people will just brush it off and move on. I also would rather play using the series' recognizable spells and weaponry, something Erdrick provides.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've never talked about it before, but this is my number one problem with Slime as the only playable Dragon Quest character. Slime is likable even if you don't know the series purely on a design level, but fans who are intimately familiar with the worlds and characters of the games themselves always want someone else, because THEY'RE what we take away from the series--not "how appealing the design of the weakest monster you face is".

Basically, Slime would be an absurdly safe pick that doesn't communicate what Dragon Quest is actually like, they'd be putting in a mascot just to "represent" Dragon Quest, rather than to REFLECT Dragon Quest, which is what I want. I don't want a playable representation of the Dragon Quest series--well I DO, but I also want someone I recognize and am familiar with, which Erdrick would fulfill not only for me but for all of Japan, alongside the representation part. Erdrick could use a mix of magic, weaponry, and maybe even other party members if they're that ambitious, all of which accurately reflect the series and his game.

This is also why I've never been a fan of having a Chocobo or Moogle or Black Mage playable before one of the actual main characters of a Final Fantasy game. I want someone I know, not a mascot. Mascots are Pokemon's thing.

(I'm not trying to pile on you, pupNapoleon, if that's what you truly believe, then that's fair. It's just I disagree and want to make clear my reason why since I never touched on it before.)
I have never played a Dragon Quest game (short of 3 minutes of the demo on Switch). I have no connection to the series whatsoever.

That is why, what I would want to see (if it were as a fan of the series), is the character that makes the game popular on a global scale. Maybe Erdrick could do that- but maybe not.

As a fan of Smash, I'd want the most unique character (meaning, whichever would standout from the Smash Roster most. But I can say this because I'm not a DQ fan- I would hate for 'looking unique' to disqualify Dixie, for example).

I have faith in Sakurai, whatever happens. Not always the MOST faithful, but usually quite faithful.

D

Deleted member

This sums it up perfectly. While Slimes are much further beyone beyond other typical low-tier enemies in other games (like say, compared to Goombas) due to their mascot status and even having an entire trilogy of games about them, I think that having a protagonist in Smash over a mascot would much better represent the series as a whole, because the protagonists are what each game is about; going on an adventure as a hero with a party of cool and memorable characters.
I have never played a Dragon Quest game (short of 3 minutes of the demo on Switch). I have no connection to the series whatsoever.

That is why, what I would want to see (if it were as a fan of the series), is the character that makes the game popular on a global scale. Maybe Erdrick could do that- but maybe not.

As a fan of Smash, I'd want the most unique character (meaning, whichever would standout from the Smash Roster most. But I can say this because I'm not a DQ fan- I would hate for 'looking unique' to disqualify Dixie, for example).

I have faith in Sakurai, whatever happens. Not always the MOST faithful, but usually quite faithful.
There's really a lot they could do to make Erdrick stand out. DQ protagonists in combat are typically a jack of all trades, using various types of weapons alongside casting magic. Both DQ in its internal crossovers and Smash hasn't been shy about putting other characters abilities on characters that didn't originally have them, so they could also include abilities like the Tension system (which basically allows you to spend time charging up to significantly boost the strength of a single ability once).

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
There's really a lot they could do to make Erdrick stand out. DQ protagonists in combat are typically a jack of all trades, using various types of weapons alongside casting magic. Both DQ in its internal crossovers and Smash hasn't been shy about putting other characters abilities on characters that didn't originally have them, so they could also include abilities like the Tension system (which basically allows you to spend time charging up to significantly boost the strength of a single ability once).
What is valid to mention too is that DQ fights represented in other medias are usually DB-DBZ(Saiyan Saga) level.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Well keep in mind, the reasoning for Erdrick isnt just because he is the face of Dragon Quest in terms of popularity. He is also the face of Dragon Quest 3 which is the game changer for the RPG genre.

In terms of uniqueness the thing the series has excelled at is the simplicity. Because the series is the first jrpg ever, it is unique because of its simplicity. In terms of a moveset Erdrick has plenty to offer from the use of magic, multiple weapons, a tension system, etc. Plus it's the first to offer job systems, and were the first to do monster taming before pokemon.

So actually there is a lot they can do with Erdrick and is more fun then something like Slime.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

I am sure it has been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, the Dragon Quest series is highly influential in not just the JRPG genre, but the entirety of the Japanese gaming industry as a whole. Everything from the series' game design, music, and artwork has shaped Japanese gaming in some shape or form. You don't earn the title of being called "Japan's national video game" for nothing.

From a glance, Dragon Quest appears to be the standard run-of-the-mill JRPG and from what you have written, that is understandable. But the impact the series has among the Japanese gaming industry cannot be stated enough. Series like Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Digimon, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, and notable people like Hidetaka Miyazaki (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro), Yoko Taro (NieR, Drakengard) , and Kirby's current director Shinya Kumazaki have Dragon Quest to thank for influencing them or laying the groundwork for their creation. Kumazaki and Sakurai, in particular, have been quite expressive of their love for the series.

Cloud may be the poster-boy of the JRPG genre nowadays, but Erdrick and Dragon Quest was the character and series that laid the groundwork that would lead up to his creation because the Final Fantasy series was created due to the success of Dragon Quest. It surprises me how Dragon Quest still doesn't have a representative in Smash not because it is generally a Nintendo mainstay, but simply due to the immense impact the series has in the Japanese gaming industry.

And this is the thing that will make or break a Dragon Quest rep in my opinion. I doubt Sakurai will fail because of how influential the DQ series is on the industry, but the character needs to be able to honor and demonstrate what the series is all about, popularity be damned. A Slime, while an iconic mook of the series and charming, is really limited in capturing what the series is about compared to a Dragon Quest protagonist.

Adding Slime instead of a Dragon Quest protagonist is akin to adding the Klaptrap instead of K Rool in my opinion. However, whatever Sakurai decides, I am faithful he will make the right decision.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman

I think what some here envision for Erdrick (not everyone, of course) would be, in a sense, basically JRPG Megaman. What does that mean? A retro rep, who stays true to his legacy in the NES era, and tbh, nothing better to represent classic RPG than the best selling RPG of the era. This is the sort of perspective on Erdrick that I think we would never see unless it's him/her appearing in a crossover game, especially something like Smash.

A modernized and standardized Erdrick would be equal to slime for me, but with the way Sakurai approaches older characters and games he likes (DQ3 being both) I am sure he will do something neat and with fanservice for the fans of classic JRPG, the kind of thing you don't get if you worry too much about the general public instead of the fans of the game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think what some here envision for Erdrick (not everyone, of course) would be, in a sense, basically JRPG Megaman. What does that mean? A retro rep, who stays true to his legacy in the NES era, and tbh, nothing better to represent classic RPG than the best selling RPG of the era. This is the sort of perspective on Erdrick that I think we would never see unless it's him/her appearing in a crossover game, especially something like Smash.

A modernized and standardized Erdrick would be equal to slime for me, but with the way Sakurai approaches older characters and games he likes (DQ3 being both) I am sure he will do something neat and with fanservice for the fans of classic JRPG, the kind of thing you don't get if you worry too much about the general public instead of the fans of the game.
NES + Snes especially I'd say. And if there's other modern heroes then you get a lot more too.

I'm thinking Erdrick will represent dragon quest as a whole, and I dont think that'll be very hard to do. And if Slime is in their moveset somewhere, you get two worms with one bird (or whatever the saying is). :p

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
NES + Snes especially I'd say. And if there's other modern heroes then you get a lot more too.

I'm thinking Erdrick will represent dragon quest as a whole, and I dont think that'll be very hard to do. And if Slime is in their moveset somewhere, you get two worms with one bird (or whatever the saying is). :p
Two stones and one bird = Steven Universe
Two birds with one stone = the actual saying :p

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The thing about Slime is that, if you ever watch any piece of Dragon Quest media that's not the games(both of the animes, and the upcoming movie apparently), the slime is pretty much always the hero's pet.

So it comes down to, would you rather be playing as the hero in Smash...or the pet...

At first, that seemed like a rhetorical question. But then I realized I'm much rather play as a Pokemon than Pokemon Trainer so...maybe it's not.

But Personally, I'd rather play as Erdrick and have Slime be an Assist Trophy, just like I'm glad they chose Cloud to be playable and I wish Chocobo was an AT.

D

Deleted member

The thing about Slime is that, if you ever watch any piece of Dragon Quest media that's not the games(both of the animes, and the upcoming movie apparently), the slime is pretty much always the hero's pet.

So it comes down to, would you rather be playing as the hero in Smash...or the pet...

At first, that seemed like a rhetorical question. But then I realized I'm much rather play as a Pokemon than Pokemon Trainer so...maybe it's not.

But Personally, I'd rather play as Erdrick and have Slime be an Assist Trophy, just like I'm glad they chose Cloud to be playable and I wish Chocobo was an AT.
Now I actually kinda want a Pokemon Trainer-style character with DQ monsters. Young Terry maybe?

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Now I actually kinda want a Pokemon Trainer-style character with DQ monsters. Young Terry maybe?
Maybe in the next Smash(winch I hope is a definitive edition of Ultimate, just adding stuff rather then something complete new with chance of losing stuffs) we get a kid Erik from the new DQ Monsters that was teased to promote it.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Maybe in the next Smash(winch I hope is a definitive edition of Ultimate, just adding stuff rather then something complete new with chance of losing stuffs) we get a kid Erik from the new DQ Monsters that was teased to promote it.
Give us:

Erdrick (DQ3)
Terry (DQ6 or DQ Monsters)
Buildrick (Builders)

Villains:

Zoma (DQ3)
Dragonlord (DQ1 and Builders)

I'd be down.

D

Deleted member

Give us:

Erdrick (DQ3)
Terry (DQ6 or DQ Monsters)
Buildrick (Builders)

Villains:

Zoma (DQ3)
Dragonlord (DQ1 and Builders)

I'd be down.
I'd replace Zoma with Psaro personally, but that's still a great lineup. Maybe throw in DQ5's protagonist too, we could have two different monster-commander characters in different styles. Terry would command them while 5 protag would fight alongside them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I had to look it up cuz I'm a DQ Monsters fan, and i can say I'm pleased :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'd replace Zoma with Psaro personally, but that's still a great lineup. Maybe throw in DQ5's protagonist too, we could have two different monster-commander characters in different styles. Terry would command them while 5 protag would fight alongside them.
Ok revised then:

Erdrick (D3): Classic archetype of any hero in DQ. Has access to hero class weapons, abilities and spells from across the series.
Terry (DQM): Based on his DQ monsters appearance, he has the ability to summon and command monsters.
Madason (DQ5): From the most beloved DQ game, Madason has access to staff abilities, summons monsters to fight alongside with and wind magic.
Buildrick (DQB): Can build weapons and objects to get the upper hand against the opponent.

Zoma (DQ3): A collosal master arch-fiend with mastery in ice magic and is the true villain of Dragon Quest 3.
Dragonlord (DQ1 and Builders): The very first villain of the series.
Psaro the manslayer: The main villain of Dragon Quest 4

Assists:

Slime
DQ3 party
Green Dragon

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited for the new Monsters. I dunno if it's just because we haven't had one localized in ages, or because it'll be a full-scale console game (of some kind), or because it's a throwback to the Game Boy games rather than Joker, but I've just got a good feeling about this one.

I think part of it's that they specifically picked Erik and Mia as the playable characters. They could've gone with kid versions of anybody or just some original characters like Monsters 2 and everyone would've been happy, but somebody really thought things through and chose the perfect Monsters 1 throwback. It's a positive sign.

Young Terry/Milly (with Young Mia/Erik as echoes?) would blow me away. Wouldn't even matter to me how they did it, whether it'd be a Pokemon Trainer type character or something more like Olimar or Rosa & Luma or Ice Climbers. There's a ton of potential.

It's a shame the older Terry is so much more popular, and also a standard sword 'n' board guy. I guess it's hard to be a power-obsessed Vergil if you don't use a sword, but I wish they'd work his monster scout past into his adult self a little more (in spinoffs and stuff, I mean; obviously VI came before Monsters). I guess he's got Lizzie, but she never shows up in anything.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo accidentally leaked Stage Builder in their latest smash trailer.

This might be good news for a direct soon, since it could mean 3.0 is ready.
I think at this point there could be a general direct, not just a smash one, and it could be a great time to reveal the next dlc character. Remember how in the last one they said they'd talk more about Dragon Quest in the future?

just possibilities ;p

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I think at this point there could be a general direct, not just a smash one, and it could be a great time to reveal the next dlc character. Remember how in the last one they said they'd talk more about Dragon Quest in the future?

just possibilities ;p
At this point, I just want something. The wait is killing me.

Young Terry/Milly (with Young Mia/Erik as echoes?) would blow me away. Wouldn't even matter to me how they did it, whether it'd be a Pokemon Trainer type character or something more like Olimar or Rosa & Luma or Ice Climbers. There's a ton of potential.
And they say Dragon Quest is bland :p

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they also announce the DQ Trilogy with Erdrick, maybe it wasn't announced last Direct cause it's tied with his announcement and they need to show 3.0 and Joker before jumping into Challenge Pack 2.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
What ONE assist trophy would you guys like to see?
I feel like Yangus would work well as an Assist Trophy, but that's probably just because he's a favorite of mine.

just possibilities ;p
Damn, I hope so.

It's been, what, 4 months since Joker got revealed, and we don't even have gameplay yet? I wonder how the reveal schedule is going to be from here on out.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Soon NoLu. Soon.

(NoLu's your nickname, I decided. The alternative is nono ;))
I'm down for NoLu. Why not :)

Maybe they also announce the DQ Trilogy with Erdrick, maybe it wasn't announced last Direct cause it's tied with his announcement and they need to show 3.0 and Joker before jumping into Challenge Pack 2.
I'm assuming that's the case. I would expect something massive if we are waiting this long.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Yangus would work well as an Assist Trophy, but that's probably just because he's a favorite of mine.
No, I think he'd be a good pick. I feel like some kind of monster is probably the way to go, but if it were a party member, it should definitely be one who's not much like the heroes in appearance or fighting style and has a big personality. Someone like Yangus or Veronica would fit really well.

For my own pick, since I didn't actually do one earlier, I think I'd go with Ramia/Empyrea, if she wasn't in Erdrick's moveset or animations. Maybe even if she was. I really like the tradition Heroes started of associating her with crossovers, and DQVIII gave her some moves to work with.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Now I am imagining Smash 6 having Psaro, Fou Lu, and a whole array of white-haired broody antagonists, just for then to reveal the new FF VII rep is Caith Sith

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My first instinct is to go "Psaro wins because they're basically the same and Psaro was first."

But then I realize that Psaro didn't even have character art in the 8-bit era, and no non-monsterous battle sprite. Which means his current Sephiroth-like appearance was probably created for the DS remake, which came out AFTER FF7.

Which means SE probably went "Lets make this guy a lot more like Sephiroth, so people will think he's cool."

That said, Psaro still wins because you can make him join your party if you do a bunch of bonus junk.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Psaro the Manslayer vs Sephiroth. Who wins.
What in the-!? The white-haired bad guys are-!

They're fusing together!

They merge into a really obvious final boss for a FF x DQ crossover!

But then I realize that Psaro didn't even have character art in the 8-bit era, and no non-monsterous battle sprite. Which means his current Sephiroth-like appearance was probably created for the DS remake, which came out AFTER FF7.

Which means SE probably went "Lets make this guy a lot more like Sephiroth, so people will think he's cool."
It was for the PS1 version, but that still came out well after FFVII. It's hard to say, but there was probably an influence. I do like Psaro's design better, though. There's something about the combination of a white-haired, elf-eared mournful prettyboy with Toriyama's chunky spikes and skulls that works really well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder why the artist picked these three specifically. I was honestly expecting Madason or Solo over Rek haha.
Everyone's got their favorites ;)
I'd like to say the artist is a fan of class systems but Eight is there.

Random tidbit of info I didn't know but Rek actually has a slew of different names.
"The Hero has many official names in Japanese. The default name for him in the games is Rek (レック). In the CD theater drama, his name is Will (ウィル). In the manga, his name is Botts (ボッツ). In the novelization, his name is Iza "

D

Deleted member

Here's some interesting news: The IP restriction for Dragon Quest X was recently lifted, and there are reports of error messages appearing in English...This seems like a good sign for a possible localization.
DQXError.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's some interesting news: The IP restriction for Dragon Quest X was recently lifted, and there are reports of error messages appearing in English... I'll find them in a moment and edit them back in, but this seems like a good sign for a possible localization.
I dont know if they're willing to keep online services going just for a u.s. release after all this time. but that'd be great. There was actually also talk of making it into an offline game last october:
https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/10...urn-the-mmo-into-an-offline-game-for-the-west

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do hope that the online elements are kept, I hear it has coop akin to DQ9 which was one of my favorite parts of it. But, any sort of localization is great.
If it could be an offline game but with multiplayer too that'd be perfect, because we'd be able to play it even when there's no more online services. I wouldnt mind being able to play it with others too for sure :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom