• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Does anyone else wonder why Tansut was told to not leak Cloud by his source, but for Erdrick it's totally fine?

Anyways, I'm enjoying all the DQ fanart surfacing here. It was pretty hard for me to find before.
I imagine that it's because Erdrick is an open secret. Cloud wasn't.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Yeah I think this explanation makes sense. Erdrick was probably supposed to be secret but with the rumors out, Tansut was allowed to comment on it.

I guess I was just a little worried about this all being an elaborate bait.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think this explanation makes sense. Erdrick was probably supposed to be secret but with the rumors out, Tansut was allowed to comment on it.

I guess I was just a little worried about this all being an elaborate bait.
I'm worried about that too. But we are probably on the revelation month or close to it, so if it was bait, we should hear more doubt for the main leakers and probably the true character would start to mentioned by they.

The only that could escape this is the Luminary as he is also a original Erdrick. So he could been called that all the way with out problem. And if his name escapes he would still be mostly associated with a alt costume.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Is Luminary the actual default name of the protagonist of DQXI in English localization like Eleven in Japanese?
Or is it used as the noun to describe the protagonist's status?
Because somehow I always felt that the word Luminary shares similar vibes with the word Yuusha.
It fits much better as translation of Yuusha than just hero or brave.

D

Deleted member

Is Luminary the actual default name of the protagonist of DQXI in English localization like Eleven in Japanese?
Or is it used as the noun to describe the protagonist's status?
Because somehow I always felt that the word Luminary shares similar vibes with the word Yuusha.
It fits much better as translation of Yuusha than just hero or brave.
It's the latter. He's always referred to as "The Luminary" in game, never used as a name.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
It's the latter. He's always referred to as "The Luminary" in game, never used as a name.
I see.
I was wondering how the localization goes if the actual fighter's name in Japanese was Yuusha with different protagonist's skins.
Calling Erdrick or Eight the Luminary works with you guys?

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I see.
I was wondering how the localization goes if the actual fighter's name in Japanese was Yuusha with different protagonist's skins.
Could also be just as Hero, as we don't have any other character that mighty be in this time with this name.

Also I think the most that he will get in with this name and will be various DQ Heroes akin to the Koopalings.
I think this as the most probably thing with the codenames are that they are based on the names from Joker and Yuusha. The most probably theory for Joker is that Jack is from the playing cards. They are the easiest cards to Japanese speakers associate as they have the same katakana in the beginning ジ Ji, and people in Japan love things related to cards games. So for Yuusha they got a even better way to hide his name, just translating it as the second most common translation. Hero is also pretty vague, but Brave is even more. Without the leaks no one would ever know.
With this I'm pretty sure that Erdrick Japanese name in game will be Yuusha.
Winch is sad, as I was hoping to see what is his current official Japanese name romanization.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see.
I suppose that could work. Taking the postgame ending into consideration, while it is more or less left to interpretation it could be seen as 3's Erdrick being the next reincarnation of the Luminary. Plus the fact that at the end of both games the protagonist is given the name Erdrick, it can be seen somewhat as going full circle.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I see.
The Luminary title is kind of very specific. The only other one to have Luminary is actually the DQ2 protagonist(s) since they are called the Luminaries. But other then that, it should stick closely to just Hero only.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a good one, the only thing that I think is that Zap should got on Neutral B, as it's the Signature Spell for Hero Class and the one probably Kirby will copy.
That's fine too. I switched it up because I wanted to make it different from robin, who has lightning and fire too.

I see.
I wondered the same thing. And I think it's fine if they use just 'Luminary' since there aren't official names. But I think they could go for something different, I just dong know what ;p

Speaking of Luminary, I looked into Luminary's weapons, because I know he has the right spells like erdrick, but i wonder if it'd be ok for him to have multiple weapons too. And looks like it's all involving different swords.
My question to yous is do you think it'd be ok, in the event that he's a costume, for him to have other weapons than swords for attacks?

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
That's fine too. I switched it up because I wanted to make it different from robin, who has lightning and fire too.

I wondered the same thing. And I think it's fine if they use just 'Luminary' since there aren't official names. But I think they could go for something different, I just dong know what ;p

Speaking of Luminary, I looked into Luminary's weapons, because I know he has the right spells like erdrick, but i wonder if it'd be ok for him to have multiple weapons too. And looks like it's all involving different swords.
My question to yous is do you think it'd be ok, in the event that he's a costume, for him to have other weapons than swords for attacks?
as sakurai sort of said, simon and richter come together and compromise with their moveset, with one doing moves the other obviously could not. as a castlevania fan, i didn't mind this since having both Simon and Richter in the first place was a beautiful way to represent old and new castlevania and i wouldn't mind a very similar situation happening with dragon quest.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I hope in DQXIS they give him a lot more weapons, I feel a bit disappointed that he only have Sword, Sword&Shield, Dual Sword and Great Sword as his options as in other games the heroes had a more versatile weapon list.

(And I'm a Sword guy myself. Sword, Dual Sword and Sword&Shield are usually my choice in all games.)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
as sakurai sort of said, simon and richter come together and compromise with their moveset, with one doing moves the other obviously could not. as a castlevania fan, i didn't mind this since having both Simon and Richter in the first place was a beautiful way to represent old and new castlevania and i wouldn't mind a very similar situation happening with dragon quest.
Yeah I would hope that would still be the case. I just think weapons are a bit more of a deal than specific skills. :/

I hope in DQXIS they give him a lot more weapons, I feel a bit disappointed that he only have Sword, Sword&Shield, Dual Sword and Great Sword as his options as in other games the heroes had a more versatile weapon list.
That's not a bad idea. I wonder if they've done something like that.

The Luminary title is kind of very specific. The only other one to have Luminary is actually the DQ2 protagonist(s) since they are called the Luminaries. But other then that, it should stick closely to just Hero only.
Well actually Luminary is a character class in 6, 7, and 9. It's basically a dancing/charming spell casting class that uses fans, whips, and stuff like that, which makes it kinda weird for him to be called that :p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm worried about that too. But we are probably on the revelation month or close to it, so if it was bait, we should hear more doubt for the main leakers and probably the true character would start to mentioned by they.

The only that could escape this is the Luminary as he is also a original Erdrick. So he could been called that all the way with out problem. And if his name escapes he would still be mostly associated with a alt costume.
I see people bring this up sometimes, but it's really just a technicality. The Luminary being the original Erdrick is a huge spoiler and only happens right before the credits roll on the postgame; Square Enix has even tried their damnedest to block anybody from uploading footage of that part of the game. He's not going to be called Erdrick in Smash, I promise.

And if you're talking about Tansut specifically, they said that the character could be male or female, which would apply to Erdrick or to a Bowser Jr. type character, but not to just the Luminary.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I see people bring this up sometimes, but it's really just a technicality. The Luminary being the original Erdrick is a huge spoiler and only happens right before the credits roll on the postgame; Square Enix has even tried their damnedest to block anybody from uploading footage of that part of the game. He's not going to be called Erdrick in Smash, I promise.

And if you're talking about Tansut specifically, they said that the character could be male or female, which would apply to Erdrick or to a Bowser Jr. type character, but not to just the Luminary.
I know, but I'm talking just about the name they are using inside. I was also talking about the Luminary been the base apparency, but the character still been basically a Bowser Jr take on the DQ Heroes.
The base apparency is the one that will be announced as the main and those things, like the Koopalings have Bowser Jr as the base. So been Erdrick or Luminary will impact in the character presentation, treatment in the game among other things.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Hmm. I wonder if Tansut knows of characters other than Erdrick from his source. If Erdrick was an open secret, there is always the possibility Tansut could also be told of a character he can’t immediately disclose.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Zoma would be super cool as a playable character or even just as a boss. However, I think Dragon Quest in general has the "Fire Emblem" problem regarding that: just like every hero is different, so is every villain, so it's tough knowing who to choose. Zoma is also a twist villain, in that we learn he's been behind Baramos' actions the whole time, and we don't learn too much about Zoma either.

Smash currently doesn't have any one-off villains playable. Bowser, Bowser Jr., the Koopalings, Piranha Plant, King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ridley, Dark Samus, Meta Knight (?), King Dedede (?), and Wolf are all recurring characters in their series. The closest thing we have to a one-off villain is Dark Pit, but he's not really a villain and he was an extremely easy Echo Fighter to add.

The merit I see with Zoma is that, like Erdrick, he's part of the most important Dragon Quest game, so he could slip in that way. I would personally have a villain the game spends the entire time building up / getting you familiar with, like the Dragonlord or Psaro the Manslayer, maybe even Bishop Ladja, but Zoma could still be cool.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't expect things like assist trophies, but it'd be real nice if they had little bonuses like that with dlc :) Joker will really be good to see (once we finally do :O) cuz we'll see what kind of precedent it sets.

Also wondering, are there no other opinions on luminary only being able to use swords and if it'd be weird in smash to have him use more than just those? I guess I'm especially curious what people who played DQ11 think.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I’m a big fan of Dragonlord. He’s the closest to a recurring villain in DQ. He’s appeared in 2 main series games (1 and 2... well, his grandson). I think he played a big role in Builders 1. And he was a character in one of the fortune street games. Also, Miitopia has some Mii / Mii costume heavily based on Dragonlord.

There’s also Estark, but I’m more attached to DL.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Also wondering, are there no other opinions on luminary only being able to use swords and if it'd be weird in smash to have more than those? I guess I'm especially curious what people who played DQ11 think.
Unfortunately, the Luminary in XI only has access to Sword and Shield, Dual Swords, and Greatswords. He has plenty of swordmastery techniques that he shares with the other heroes and some originals on his own, but other then that that's all he has.

Aside from 8, I'm curious if there are other heroes that use multiple weapons like Erdrick.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hmm. I wonder if Tansut knows of characters other than Erdrick from his source. If Erdrick was an open secret, there is always the possibility Tansut could also be told of a character he can’t immediately disclose.
I doubt it. Tansut only seems to have an SE source and the likelihood of SE getting two reps is pretty damn close to zero.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I think Zoma would work fine as a boss. He represents the demon lords of the whole series about as well as Erdrick represents the heroes, and if you're calling Erdrick Erdrick, I'd say any spoiler from DQIII is fair game. Plus, uh, there's a (minor) DQXI connection.

The Ultimate Big Bad Calasmos uses the same barrier gimmick as Zoma, including the music changing to Hero's Challenge once it's taken down. It plays out a little differently, but it's definitely a DQIII reference, so it's another "use Smash as a cheat sheet so people get the reference in the new game" opportunity.

He also kind of pulls a Demise and says some stuff that might hint that Zoma is his Ganondorf, but it's pretty vague and not really relevant to Smash. Honestly, if he wasn't such a big-time spoiler I'd love to see Calasmos as the DQ boss; he's got a ton of abilities and a great design.

A recurring high-level enemy like a Green Dragon or King Slime (if not an Assist Trophy) or something would be OK too. Or the Dragonlord, I guess, though I'd definitely prefer Zoma. All the big bads are basically on even footing, except Zoma's also got a personal connection to Erdrick, sort of. I guess Psaro is kind of a special case, and if they could recreate his boss fight right down to blowing his limbs off that'd be amazing, but he's got no connection to the original trilogy at all, it'd be kind of strange and probably wouldn't fit the stage.

Also wondering, are there no other opinions on luminary only being able to use swords and if it'd be weird in smash to have more than those? I guess I'm especially curious what people who played DQ11 think.
To be honest, I just don't think it's likely that any hero character would use more than swords anyway. Between sword, shield, spells and maybe some items, there's plenty to fill up a whole moveset. I wouldn't mind a little fudging of the lines, but I don't think it'd be necessary.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, the Luminary in XI only has access to Sword and Shield, Dual Swords, and Greatswords. He has plenty of swordmastery techniques that he shares with the other heroes and some originals on his own, but other then that that's all he has.

Aside from 8, I'm curious if there are other heroes that use multiple weapons like Erdrick.
Yeah, that's why earlier I asked the question about that, in the case that he's an erdrick costume in smash and that they would have other weapons besides swords in their moveset. Having played DQ11 would that feel off?

It's not weird as a DQ hero, but is there anything in the game that makes luminary out to be 'only' and ever only be a sword user, besides that he can only use those :p

To be honest, I just don't think it's likely that any hero character would use more than swords anyway. Between sword, shield, spells and maybe some items, there's plenty to fill up a whole moveset. I wouldn't mind a little fudging of the lines, but I don't think it'd be necessary.
Not sure what you mean, since in most Dragon Quests the main character can use other weapons. And in some cases it's better to have more than one, since it's possible to change the equipment in battle (altho Im not sure which Dragon quests have that in battle and which don't).

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Not sure what you mean, since in most Dragon Quests the main character can use other weapons. And in some cases it's better to have more than one, since it's possible to change the equipment in battle (altho Im not sure which Dragon quests have that in battle and which don't).
In Smash, I mean. I don't think it'd be necessary to incorporate other weapons. It might be interesting, but I don't think it'll happen.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In Smash, I mean. I don't think it'd be necessary to incorporate other weapons. It might be interesting, but I don't think it'll happen.
Well for one, people would like something different than only swords, and sakurai himself said something about that lately.
And it's not really bizarre. Ness and Lucas who are from a similar retro rpg have multiple weapons in their moveset. (well not that many, but they didnt have as many in their game compared to DQ)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's why earlier I asked the question about that, in the case that he's an erdrick costume in smash and that they would have other weapons besides swords in their moveset. Having played DQ11 would that feel off?
I don't know to be honest. I always play swords on my main hero so I don't really notice anything lol. I do hope Erdrick uses different weapons on top of spells and tension. Would definitely make him more unique and make the haters shut up haha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know to be honest. I always play swords on my main hero so I don't really notice anything lol. I do hope Erdrick uses different weapons on top of spells and tension. Would definitely make him more unique and make the haters shut up haha.
Yeah if they can be really diverse and fun i bet tons of people might like the character.
If the belmonts are any indicator, they tried to fit in as many of the special weapons as they could at the same time even though you can only have 1 at a time in the game. But they're all b moves, just like Link.

I dont think it'd be weird for Erdrick, but if they're putting luminary and anlucia as alts then maybe they'll opt only for swords.
Could be cool to see some magic in the A attacks too tho :)

I was trying to find if Anlucia could use anything else, but I think she may only use a sword too (well, looks like a kind of rapier).

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Could be cool to see some magic in the A attacks too tho :)
Similar to the way we both proposed the moveset. I wouldn't mind that at all, in fact it would look quite visually appealing and make Erdrick a magiknight essentially. Ain't something out of Fire Emblem where it's the sword itself, I don't think we had a character where the character themselves enhance their sword strikes (albeit with different forms of magic that isn't like Robin).

Edit: @JDCabrera
40c32777-68bd-462f-8321-8774b9e966ab.png

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Hello friends. Something just occurred to me.

Erdrick is seen in the very last scene of DQ XI. However he is spotting black hair. In the most "current" design, Erdrick has brown hair. Could Smash perhaps have an entirely new Erdrick design that isn't the original Famicom design or the SFC redesign? Perhaps looking more like DQXI's Erdwin?

Am I just thinking about this way too much?

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Just finished DQ lll and i loved it !
I can proudly say that i am now in full support of Erdrick getting in smash.

Whether in the cities, in the dungeons, during the fighting or on the world map, the soundtrack was always immersive and i really i hope Erdrick doesn't get the FF treatment when it comes to the soundtrack :L

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Hello friends. Something just occurred to me.

Erdrick is seen in the very last scene of DQ XI. However he is spotting black hair. In the most "current" design, Erdrick has brown hair. Could Smash perhaps have an entirely new Erdrick design that isn't the original Famicom design or the SFC redesign? Perhaps looking more like DQXI's Erdwin?

Am I just thinking about this way too much?
its ver possible it is based on the latest Erdrick design. It looks like a merger between the two eras.
91-K5rBIgiL.jpg

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thinking about Zoma’a Disruptive Wave.

These are the attacks I think it should negate.

Giant Punch
Charge shot
Shadow Ball
Waft
Aura Sphere
Monado
Limit
Deep Breath
Revenge
Bucket
KO Punch
Tension
Fludd
Water gun
Pocket
Needles
ROB laser
Fruit (resets)
Arc Thunder
Witch Time
Sun salute

Considered:
Water Shuriken
Ink
FE characters Neutral B’s
Green missile
Skull bash
Ike’s Side B
Straight Lunge
Bullet Arts
But yeah, I mean really, a Boss would totally suit him. Although thanks to that concept art I really want him playable. Should we even expect dlc bosses though? I don’t think they’ll focus their resources on them, tbh. Assist Trophy is also a good possibility.

What ONE assist trophy would you guys like to see?

For me it would have to be Slime unless he was part of the hero’s moveset.

If that was the case, I’d love Psaro but ... his trope is way too similar to Alucard... so next.

Dhoulmagus would be badass, tbh. Holding Rhapthorne’s staff up and summoning cursed vines all around, impaling opponents and laughing maniacally. Maybe split into 3 or transform into his 2nd form for a finishing move would be cool too. Could take over Dark Samus’ AT moveset and kick it up two notches.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Giant Punch
Charge shot
Shadow Ball
Waft
Aura Sphere
Monado
Limit
Deep Breath
Revenge
Bucket
KO Punch
Tension
Fludd
Water gun
Pocket
Needles
ROB laser
Fruit (resets)
Arc Thunder
Witch Time
Sun salute

Considered:
Water Shuriken
Ink
Green missile
Skull bash
Ike’s Side B
Straight Lunge
Bullet Arts
But yeah, I mean really, a Boss would totally suit him. Although thanks to that concept art I really want him playable. Should we even expect dlc bosses though? I don’t think they’ll focus their resources on them, tbh. Assist Trophy is also a good possibility.

If that was the case, I’d love Psaro but ... his trope is way too similar to Alucard... so next.

Dhoulmagus would be badass, tbh. Holding Rhapthorne’s staff up and summoning cursed vines all around, impaling opponents and laughing maniacally. Maybe split into 3 or transform into his 2nd form for a finishing move would be cool too. Could take over Dark Samus’ AT moveset and kick it up two notches.
I think Slimes merging into a King Slime would be a good AT. You could have a bunch coming in from every direction until they eventually merge together and crash down from above, similar to Snorlax.
Dhoulmagus would be a good one as well, he would probably be my second pick for an AT.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Giant Punch
Charge shot
Shadow Ball
Waft
Aura Sphere
Monado
Limit
Deep Breath
Revenge
Bucket
KO Punch
Tension
Fludd
Water gun
Pocket
Needles
ROB laser
Fruit (resets)
Arc Thunder
Witch Time
Sun salute

Considered:
Water Shuriken
Ink
Green missile
Skull bash
Ike’s Side B
Straight Lunge
Bullet Arts

You know I was thinking of other reps once Erdrick gets a footing. Aside from Zoma who I think would be pretty cool, what about Terry?

D

Deleted member

You know I was thinking of other reps once Erdrick gets a footing. Aside from Zoma who I think would be pretty cool, what about Terry?
Terry could be cool if he had a monster invoking mechanic, one where he summons different monsters to fight with him.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is Erdrick actually as infamous as Cloud?

I find myself slightly erked that Chocobo lost out to Cloud- but somehow that seems acceptable for Final Fantasy.
As it comes to Dragon Quest- I really think Slime would be the way to propel the series forward. Not to mention a bouncing little blue dollop would be a charming character to those who don't know the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom