• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
So, did you enjoy the video I shared?
While the title may be a bit extreme (nobody truly deserves to get in Smash over others, as much as I may want some characters), I felt like the video itself had a great research and knowledge behind it.
I've seen him a long time ago. He's actually one of the reasons I'm such a supporter for Erdrick today. I was already a supporter but this kind of takes the cake. Even before I got into Dragon Quest, I already said he deserves to be in. Now I'm just really into the idea since I now played the franchise.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Thanks everyone. I will be interested in seeing what he will be like. I didn't want him but I think he is a lot better picks than other names that have been thrown out there and I would definitely be hyped to play him.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The video showed up on my recommended a while back and it's okay. It mostly discussed things I already knew though, so I didn't feel like sharing it here.

I'm still on my Dragon Quest break, catching up on classes you've been neglecting is hard, don't do it kids x(

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
That twitter thread really didn't do any research. (Erdrick isn't important to the legacy of DQ, like what?)

There isn't a single point here that I think was actually researched and was an emotional attack on Erdrick because the guy doesn't want him.
It really does feel like people bag on Erdrick just because he's the most hotly speculated character and they don't care about him.

I get that he's competing with other SE characters, but I hear the same sentiment from people who don't care about Geno or Sora. It's so petty.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It really does feel like people bag on Erdrick just because he's the most hotly speculated character and they don't care about him.

I get that he's competing with other SE characters, but I hear the same sentiment from people who don't care about Geno or Sora. It's so petty.
That's why I hope there is a chance for everyone to get in. That way I dont have to hear about complaints.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The wait... uuuuuuugh.

So when do y’all think Erdrick could be revealed if he was in?

I think in the window between June and August m, mostly due to:
- E3 (June?)
- The movie (August)
- The Erdrick action figure release date (unless it’s already out, it was late July)

Or do you guys think it’ll tie into DQXIs release date?

Also I don’t understand why people say Tansut leaked Cloud right before the direct.
Didn’t he say he leaked it on September? And Cloud’s direct was, i’m almost certain, on December? (Unless I got things mixed up with the final ssb4 direct).

Calane

Smash Ace
The wait... uuuuuuugh.

- E3 (June?)
- The movie (August)
- The Erdrick action figure release date (unless it’s already out, it was late July)

Also I don’t understand why people say Tansut leaked Cloud right before the direct.
Didn’t he say he leaked it on September? And Cloud’s direct was, i’m almost certain, on December? (Unless I got things mixed up with the final ssb4 direct).
I believe Tansut said that he found out about Cloud in September, not that he leaked it.

As for my opinion on when Erdrick would be revealed? I honestly have no clue, but I don't expect him to be next for some reason. I see Erdrick being the third or fourth reveal, and people running around screaming "Erdrick is deconfirmed!" until it eventually happens.

I'd love to be wrong, though. I hope, if he's actually in, that Erdrick is next. I just want all of this to be over and done with.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Twitter: "Why should Erdrick be in Smash? What did DQ even do to get in the game!!?"

DQ Fans: *'You're Welcome (from Moana)' starts to play*

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
The wait... uuuuuuugh.

- E3 (June?)
- The movie (August)

I have a pretty good feeling for this month.

The 3.0.0 update is coming out and will likely feature new modes alongside Joker and the first wave of Mii Costumes. That and a character reveal would be enough content for a Smash direct. Since Brave is assumed to be Erdrick, he's probably next.

They could just tease him and give him a future release date, but given how long it's been since Joker's reveal, and that Jack and Brave were both listed in the datamine, he could be shadowdropped alongside Joker. Granted, shadowdropping unrevealed content is pretty risky, but maybe they can have the Direct the day before the update instead.

Also, this is one of my biggest personal fantasies right now, but I think it'd be really cool if they revealed Ninten as an echo alongside Erdrick. The Famicom JRPG boys, they could call them.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The wait... uuuuuuugh.

- E3 (June?)
- The movie (August)

I'm thinking we are the very least getting a sneak peak following Joker. As for the latest it can be revealed, it has to be E3. It is just too big of an event to not be that. Maybe Madason acts as the Erdrick echo :p. Joking aside, those are my personal opinions.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
My bugbear with all this is that DQIII (the whole trilogy, preferably) should be available on Switch by the time Erdrick releases, and ideally before. I don't mean to fulfill any kind of magical Smash eligibility conditions, I mean the only option for westerners to try the game he's from right now are on Android/iOS, through emulation, or digging around for an NES or GBC cart. Not really optimum if you're trying to sell the series or the character.

So if I'm not crazy, there'd need to be an opportunity to reveal and release something like that. I guess a shadow drop wouldn't be off the table, but would they do that kind of announcement in a dedicated Smash direct?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
My bugbear with all this is that DQIII (the whole trilogy, preferably) should be available on Switch by the time Erdrick releases, and ideally before. I don't mean to fulfill any kind of magical Smash eligibility conditions, I mean the only option for westerners to try the game he's from right now are on Android/iOS, through emulation, or digging around for an NES or GBC cart. Not really optimum if you're trying to sell the series or the character.

So if I'm not crazy, there'd need to be an opportunity to reveal and release something like that. I guess a shadow drop wouldn't be off the table, but would they do that kind of announcement in a dedicated Smash direct?
God I love that. Maybe they can bring the Super Famicom versions and enhance them with proper translation, I think that would be amazing. Either that or revamp the sprites (please not in a really bad way like FF6).

D

Deleted member

Wow, missed the whole video debacle. But why do people follow **** like this? its pretty much bottom of the barrel making videos based on tweets in this case or making the videos based on 4chan text leaks in the case of Laxchris. Even the title is ****ing clickbait.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Wow, missed the whole video debacle. But why do people follow **** like this? its pretty much bottom of the barrel making videos based on tweets in this case or making the videos based on 4chan text leaks in the case of Laxchris. Even the title is ****ing clickbait.
Guess when your dude isn't getting called in, cry about it by insulting a rep :p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm really amused at the thought of all these speculation types being caught totally off guard and forced to talk about these weird, obscure "Dragon's Quest" games they've never heard of because of the rumour mill. Stuff like Erdrick (Luceus) the other day really tickles me. So close, buddy.

I guess nobody wants to actually give DQ a shot because RPGs are long and hey, what if the rumour isn't true and you played a good game for no reason? Fair enough, but the tradeoff there is you probably shouldn't go ahead and speculate blindly about it anyway or you'll look awfully silly.

D

Deleted member

It's like a Grinch leak level theory on why Erdrick wont be in. You know we're in a good position if that's happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I downloaded DQ Rivals on my Switch, and I'm actually really enjoying it despite the language barrier. Lots of cool new artwork of characters and monsters too.
It's like a Grinch leak level theory on why Erdrick wont be in. You know we're in a good position if that's happening.
I think it's just a wait and see thing at this point. Things are totally looking up for us, but there's not a lot of new info coming out.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
That twitter thread linked in the video is a nonstop disaster with zero research done on the DQ series. Don't know about you guys but I'll take Tansut's word over a random guy on twitter who thinks Brave is banjo because they both start with the letter B.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I downloaded DQ Rivals on my Switch, and I'm actually really enjoying it despite the language barrier. Lots of cool new artwork of characters and monsters too.
I adore the Rivals card art. Not only is it great, but it's so nice to get fresh official art of minor or obscure characters like Honey from DQV or Young Yangus. I really want that Rivals artbook.

I'll probably give the actual game a try one of these days. It seems like fun, though I wish there were some more playable characters. I'll tell you what, though: if Erdrick gets into Smash and anyone wants to jump the gun on speculating who the second DQ fighter could be? One of those seven, guaranteed. Go ahead and make those Torneko and Jessica silhouettes for your Youtube thumbnails, and don't forget to call Psaro "the Sephiroth of Dragon Quest".

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That twitter thread linked in the video is a nonstop disaster with zero research done on the DQ series. Don't know about you guys but I'll take Tansut's word over a random guy on twitter who thinks Brave is banjo because they both start with the letter B.
I wish people would stop thinking they chose "Pakkun" and "Jack" because of the letters they start with. Especially Pakkun, because that's what the plant's Japanese name is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I adore the Rivals card art. Not only is it great, but it's so nice to get fresh official art of minor or obscure characters like Honey from DQV or Young Yangus. I really want that Rivals artbook.

I'll probably give the actual game a try one of these days. It seems like fun, though I wish there were some more playable characters. I'll tell you what, though: if Erdrick gets into Smash and anyone wants to jump the gun on speculating who the second DQ fighter could be? One of those seven, guaranteed. Go ahead and make those Torneko and Jessica silhouettes for your Youtube thumbnails, and don't forget to call Psaro "the Sephiroth of Dragon Quest".
It's actually pretty simple, easy enough for me, who knows next to no Japanese to understand just by playing.
The selection of party leader characters is odd, though. Only 3 games being represented is kinda lame, but hopefully we'll see more. Out of them for Smash though, Torneko would be my first pick. Aside from just liking him a lot I think his abilities could translate really interestingly into Smash.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I actually watched a bit of it out of curiosity and I couldn't really stomach the rest of it. It just sounds so condescending it hurts my soul.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Currently in the process of creating a Erdrick moveset if you guys want to take a look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oR6wfDGw8BrW_eCfeRkNn2iP27D_f1cELi_PfAG04cY/edit?usp=sharing
Cool moveset! Seems pretty strong too! Though I don't know the frame data in relation to the existing characters. Sense I've never played the games, based on this moveset it seems he'd be awfully similar to Link. I'm curious what you or anyone else's thoughts on that are. And what main things would make him feel distinctly different to play.
Personally, Wild Link is in my top 10 favorite characters to use in Smash so if Erdrick gets in like its looking then he seems like he'd be a fun character even if similar to the 3 existing Links.
Also, I like how he has a familiar appearance to that of Goku (because of the same designer, I know) while in this moveset having a similar looking power up aura that Goku would have while screaming. :p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cool moveset! Seems pretty strong too! Though I don't know the frame data in relation to the existing characters. Sense I've never played the games, based on this moveset it seems he'd be awfully similar to Link. I'm curious what you or anyone else's thoughts on that are. And what main things would make him feel distinctly different to play.
Personally, Wild Link is in my top 10 favorite characters to use in Smash so if Erdrick gets in like its looking then he seems like he'd be a fun character even if similar to the 3 existing Links.
Also, I like how he has a familiar appearance to that of Goku (because of the same designer, I know) while in this moveset having a similar looking power up aura that Goku would have while screaming. :p
I did the similar to Link thing on purpose, as he had a shield and sword it was really the only way I can describe his toolkit. That being said, I believe this moveset would captivate you especially if you like BOTW Link as he does have a high skill ceiling as I design him to not be easy. The tension system is exactly as you picture it, as the Dragon Quest 8 tension system was given that Super Saiyan looks in the international release. What I attempted to do was make him not a sword fighter and more of a magi-knight as that's how he is supposed to be. Unlike those idiot tweeters who don't do their research haha.

Edit: Found this

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
It's curious that Dai in Jump Force is the first time Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball had a crossover that was not just a few characters from DQ showing in the background of the manga/anime.

Square Enix and Bandai Namco have been interacting a lot in terms of crossover lately, and this has led me to have a silly thought, imagine if DQ characters, and I mean, actual DQ characters, had been special guests in Dragon Ball fighting games. Smash is, of course, the best for the series in terms of exposition, but I wouldn't mind living in a world where, I dunno, Erdrick was in FighterZ.

D

Deleted member

So as an inverse to that one twitter thread against Erdrick, someone made a 19 page google doc claiming how Erdrick has a sizable chance. Thoughts on that? I'll give it a read myself later, because I just woke up.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

E: Interestingly, that Starb guy helped look this over. He seemed to have learned from his twitter thread. Now that's cool of him.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
It's curious that Dai in Jump Force is the first time Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball had a crossover that was not just a few characters from DQ showing in the background of the manga/anime.

Square Enix and Bandai Namco have been interacting a lot in terms of crossover lately, and this has led me to have a silly thought, imagine if DQ characters, and I mean, actual DQ characters, had been special guests in Dragon Ball fighting games. Smash is, of course, the best for the series in terms of exposition, but I wouldn't mind living in a world where, I dunno, Erdrick was in FighterZ.
Let's get Erdrick into Smash and Slime into Fighterz. Just imagine Broly getting decimated by a bunch of Slimes forming into a King Slime above his head.

Also, I'm gonna uhhhh plug some more of my art here if you don't mind.

I realized I never drew female Erdrick before, so I had to rectify that ASAP.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You guys been active :)

I try not to pay much attention to the biased hate, it's unreasonable and just dampens my mood. We know it's unreasonable and more an emotional thing and them trying to think of more chance for other characters they might like or know themselves. It's sad and it doesnt really help my view on humanity ;p. But I know there's lots of people who would (or will) enjoy the character and even the series. We're not in japan so we also dont see the enormous fanbase there.

I also dont watch youtubers like laxchris, etc. They just look for whatever stirs up attention even with fake leaks or random tweeters like that. Ultimately it's just bark, and it doesnt matter because in the end if erdrick's in, they're in, and there'll be plenty of people, including us, who'll enjoy it quite a bit :)

I also think there should be a character reveal at some point soon. I dont see them waiting all the way to e3 or something to do it. I hope I'm not wrong, cuz i really think it'd be nice to know not too late. XD I dont think it'll be a shadowdrop, but I think it definitely wont take as long since theyve been working on brave too.

haven't read the rest of the page so will get to that now ;)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The Grinch leak at least had some legitimate effort and research put into it. That twitter thread got so many things wrong, either through incompetence or flat-out lying, that it's honestly not even worth discussing.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Think about it. All these people saying our character has no chance...well it just means that if Erdrick does get in, it'll be all the sweeter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Someone on the smash discord attempted to use that video as a way of saying my character isnt getting in. Hoo boi.
that sucks. Well. do what you feel like.
So as an inverse to that one twitter thread against Erdrick, someone made a 19 page google doc claiming how Erdrick has a sizable chance. Thoughts on that? I'll give it a read myself later, because I just woke up.

E: Interestingly, that Starb guy helped look this over. He seemed to have learned from his twitter thread. Now that's cool of him.

That's a neat doc, pretty good, though i dont think they used good points for the 'height' part.
It'll be much easier to show that the stat doesnt matter too much once we see Joker's model. I predict he'll be 17 pts in height, compared to the 15 pts of the datamine.

I did the similar to Link thing on purpose, as he had a shield and sword it was really the only way I can describe his toolkit. That being said, I believe this moveset would captivate you especially if you like BOTW Link as he does have a high skill ceiling as I design him to not be easy. The tension system is exactly as you picture it, as the Dragon Quest 8 tension system was given that Super Saiyan looks in the international release. What I attempted to do was make him not a sword fighter and more of a magi-knight as that's how he is supposed to be. Unlike those idiot tweeters who don't do their research haha.

Edit: Found this
I really like seeing all them DQ characters :)

I dont think erdrick should play like link, but probably more like him than an FE character. I liked seeing the moveset because it shows he could have a lot of different weapons and attacks, but I dunno if i would give him a boomerang when he could have something much more different.
It's interesting to mix and match because we can see the mvoes that are already in smash, but yeah there's too much potential in making them unique . Like I also wouldn't give him fire breath for fire magic, and stuff like that, but it's still cool to easily visualize. Also, I think a whip could be interesting, tho i wouldnt put something like that for a f-air, personally.

Other than that, I think you did a pretty neat job with it NomadLuminary NomadLuminary . It's a nice example for variety.
I'm not sure how I feel about tension for now cuz i think it'd be really cool but at the same i might rather have another magic for down b. (tho the menu idea kinda fixes that maybe) Well, if ever i make a moveset i'll try to include it in another way, and I probably wont do the 'menu' thing, just to try something different, but anyway i like seeing the different ideas :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's a neat doc, pretty good, though i dont think they used good points for the 'height' part.
It'll be much easier to show that the stat doesnt matter too much once we see Joker's model. I predict he'll be 17 pts in height, compared to the 15 pts of the datamine.
I agree. He didn't really bring up a good argument or link to much evidence for stats to change and for other points he's made as well. That's the one thing I really criticize because Erdrick as Brave, in my opinion, live and dies by the stats now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
When DQ fans hear someone debunked Erdrick:

Let's get him, y'all!
which game is that? :O

I agree. He didn't really bring up a good argument or link to much evidence for stats to change. That's the one thing I really criticize because Erdrick as Brave, in my opinion, live and dies by the stats now.
Yeah not perfect, but i was impressed by how many arguments he tried to handle at least.

also, watch out for double-posting ;)

D

Deleted member

which game is that? :O

Yeah not perfect, but i was impressed by how many arguments he tried to handle at least.

also, watch out for double-posting ;)
Whoops on double posting!

And the game is Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2 Pro.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Whoops on double posting!

And the game is Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2 Pro.
I played joker 2 but never seen a huge tower of slimes or whatever :p
Weird. well, i'll look into it sometime cuz Im a fan of DQMonsters :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I played joker 2 but never seen a huge tower of slimes or whatever :p
Weird. well, i'll look into it sometime cuz Im a fan of DQMonsters :)
It's because they made Joker 2, but then they remade it with more monsters and an extra endgame chapter. Of course, it was also only released in Japan.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's because they made Joker 2, but then they remade it with more monsters and an extra endgame chapter. Of course, it was also only released in Japan.
Yeh just looked. Not gonna replay it in japanese just for a few extras :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom